More good news...

c cc c Member Posts: 413
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
BSkyB launches European football channel amid battle with BT

BSkyB launched a fresh offensive for TV and broadband subscribers against rival BT on Tuesday when it announced the launch of a television channel dedicated to European football.

The British broadcaster will carve out its European football games for a standalone channel called Sky Sports 5, which will be bundled with the offer of two years’ free Sky broadband to attract customers before the start of the football season.

Analysts at Espírito Santo said that the new channel was an attempt by Sky to shore up its European football proposition after losing out on rights for the Champions League and Europa League from 2015/16 to BT Sport.

BT made a shock entry into the sports TV market last year with the acquisition of £2bn of sports rights including some Premier League games, Champions League games and other events in rugby, tennis and motor racing.

Analysts warned that BT and Sky could now be locked into a battle for sports TV and broadband customers that will force prices down and lead to overspending to acquire sports rights. Both companies are expected to take part in the forthcoming auction of Premier League football rights set to start before the end of the year.

News of the new channel sent shares in BT down by almost 3 per cent to 395p, the most for almost a month, while shares in BSkyB were down more than 1 per cent.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b86b870a-f0...

Comments

• scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:32AM

All the people complaining about BT and Talk Talk taking over YouView...What exactly does this story have to do with YouView that it needs to be on this forum....

Seems to me people complain about BT hijacking YouView but then only want to talk about them...
  • c cc c Member Posts: 413
    edited 9 July 2014, 11:05PM
    scott said:

All the people complaining about BT and Talk Talk taking over YouView...What exactly does this story have to do with YouView that it needs to be on this forum....

Seems to me people complain about BT hijacking YouView but then only want to talk about them...
    BT v BSkyB is what YouView is all about.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 10:48AM
    scott said:

Cynical.....I think YouView has more to offer than just that.

I would quite happily get into a conversation about how this smells of panic from sky but I don't think this is the right forum..
    scott said:

I'm glad you're happy. I'm not.

In reply to your edit - I agree. What's relevant in the announcement is the predicted effect on sports rights prices, the predicted effect on broadband prices, and the already-manifest effect on both companies' share prices.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    cc the quote from the FT you give seems to be behind a paywall :-(
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
    Roy1 said:

cc the quote from the FT you give seems to be behind a paywall :-(

Here you are
    BSkyB launches European football channel amid battle with BT

BSkyB launched a fresh offensive for TV and broadband subscribers against rival BT on Tuesday when it announced the launch of a television channel dedicated to European football.

The British broadcaster will carve out its European football games for a standalone channel called Sky Sports 5, which will be bundled with the offer of two years’ free Sky broadband to attract customers before the start of the football season.

Analysts at Espírito Santo said that the new channel was an attempt by Sky to shore up its European football proposition after losing out on rights for the Champions League and Europa League from 2015/16 to BT Sport.

BT made a shock entry into the sports TV market last year with the acquisition of £2bn of sports rights including some Premier League games, Champions League games and other events in rugby, tennis and motor racing.

Analysts warned that BT and Sky could now be locked into a battle for sports TV and broadband customers that will force prices down and lead to overspending to acquire sports rights. Both companies are expected to take part in the forthcoming auction of Premier League football rights set to start before the end of the year.

News of the new channel sent shares in BT down by almost 3 per cent to 395p, the most for almost a month, while shares in BSkyB were down more than 1 per cent.

Sky Sports 5 will screen up to 600 live European football matches next season, and will be the seventh channel from Sky Sports. The channel will carry the European qualifiers, Spanish and Dutch live football as well as the Champions League, which BSkyB can show only for one more year before the rights are handed over to BT. Only the Dutch football games are additional to the other rights already held by BSkyB.

The equity research team at Berenberg Bank expressed doubt whether Sky Sports 5 would drive customer growth or tariff upgrades, but said that the aggressive broadband offer showed Sky was “upping the ante against a resurgent BT”.

Berenberg said that Sky was under pressure in its TV business as a result of accelerating rights cost inflation, “while the maturity of the broadband market means that Sky must either face lower gross margins or declining market share”.

The summer months are often when people sign-up to sports channels before the new football season, although customers may wait this year to see which games will be picked to show by BT and Sky if choosing between platforms.

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said that Sky Sports 5 takes its live football coverage “to the next level offering more European football than ever before”.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Where YouView is concerned, this thread is certainly relevant to me.

I don't watch live TV, I only watch live Sport and a significant portion of that is on Sky Sports. But Sky won't let BT have SS on YV. They are blocking it. So I can't get YouView yet. And how many others are in my position?

This is a defensive knee-jerk reactionary move by Sky that is two fold. The first is to deny Champions League football to BT viewers for the final season they have it and the second is a weak attempt to get new BB and telephony customers from their TV user base. A third possible reason is that BT may soon win the CAT dispute and finally get SS onto YouView, but still deny them CL football coverage. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    Visionman said:

Where YouView is concerned, this thread is certainly relevant to me.

I don't watch live TV, I only watch live Sport and a significant portion of that is on Sky Sports. But Sky won't let BT have SS on YV. They are blocking it. So I can't get YouView yet. And how many others are in my position?

This is a defensive knee-jerk reactionary move by Sky that is two fold. The first is to deny Champions League football to BT viewers for the final season they have it and the second is a weak attempt to get new BB and telephony customers from their TV user base. A third possible reason is that BT may soon win the CAT dispute and finally get SS onto YouView, but still deny them CL football coverage. 

Arrrrgh! Whats with that stupid flippin "THANKS FOR POSTING!" garbage all about?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.