UKTV Play coming to YouView?

c cc c Member Posts: 413
edited 20 March 2017, 4:24PM in Archived Posts
Non-linear UKTV Play

British multi-channel broadcaster UKTV – a joint venture between BBC Worldwide and Scripps Networks Interactive – will launch a new digital-only service – UKTV Play – this summer.

“UKTV Play will be as easy as switching on your TV,” said CEO, Darren Childs. “We will curate content by topics and events, so UKTV Play will take away the difficulty that some viewers find with video on demand: choosing what it is they want to watch.”

Content will be compiled in familiar and intuitive collections, such as by topic and real-life events, as well as featuring dynamic ‘staff picks’, box sets and advance previews of new programmes.

UKTV Play will soft launch on iOS this summer with PC and YouView following by the end of the year meaning viewers can soon enjoy their favourite shows such as Storage Hunters, Crackanory, Alan Davies: As Yet Untitled, Dara O Briain: School of Hard Sums, Inquisition, Raiders of the Lost Art, Crime Stories, Rescue Code One, Most Haunted and Ghost Adventures, along with a selection of fantastic BBC programmes.

The digital-only service will include box sets so viewers can enjoy hit series such as Lizard Lick Towing, 24 Hours to Go Broke, Black Ops and Museum Secrets, back to back.

The network’s distinctive channel brands – such as Dave and Really – will also feature on UKTV Play, ensuring viewers can find their favourite shows as easily as if holding a remote control.

Dan Fahy, UKTV’s Director of Commercial and Business Development, will work alongside General Manager for VoD, Emma Boston, on the roll out of UKTV Play and Head of VoD, Kim Morris, will oversee editorial content. Ben Hine, Director of Operations and Technology, and his team are responsible for building the service.

Fahy said the broadcaster had launched UKTV Play because data shows its viewers will find more programming and engage with its channels more regularly if they have a single destination for on-demand viewing. “UKTV Play has been created specifically to cater for our viewers’ needs. It is an exciting new destination where they can find and watch programming from our different channels in a very easy and convenient way,” he added.

UKTV Play features easy to use functionality including swipe channel selection, stop-and-resume viewing, predictive search, alphabetical browser and parental controls.

The news of UKTV’s latest brand launch comes at a time when the media company is enjoying record growth. It is currently the fastest growing commercial broadcaster in Britain. The network reaches over 42 million viewers a month and has a raft of exciting new content in the pipeline that viewers will be able to enjoy on its linear channels and via UKTV Play, including brand new Storage Hunters UK and returning series Crackanory, Ross Noble Freewheeling and Dave Gorman Modern Life is Goodish.
http://advanced-television.com/2014/0...

Comments

• alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    So it's a digital-only service. I guess it will work on my digital tv then!

Seriously, though, isn't this already on Youview?
  • c cc c Member Posts: 413
    edited 9 July 2014, 11:05PM
    al said:

Hey, don't shoot the messenger :-)

I think the main idea is that box sets will be available, which the current player doesn't offer.
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    al said:

sorry, I didn't mean to sound like that. I don't like the ambiguous terms some people use and are surprised when others get confused.

The second question was because I honestly couldn't tell - thanks for the answer!

For the record - I think this is the way modern tv watching is going and linear tv is going to shrink down. (Which is handy because there will probably be only one mux available)
    al said:

For the record - I think this is the way modern tv watching is going and linear tv is going to shrink down. (Which is handy because there will probably be only one mux available)
    Al, time to catch up? That's why YouView was invented :-)

I know what you mean about the jargon. Also agree with you that this is just a revamp, not really anything new. It could develop, though, once the player is offering not just catchup but also some of the archive. UKTV has access to BBC programmes, after all.
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,040 ✭✭
    edited 14 December 2016, 9:35PM
    al said:

Seems like they are adding catchup and archive programs into a single player -as several of the other player providers do currently ... so more content can only be encouraged - all depends upon what they have on demand rights too.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    al said:

If linear TV shrinks, then so does the source of new programmes to watch on catchup. Will there be OnDemand-only programmes, do we think, a la Netflix' House of Cards?

But lest you think watching OnDemand implies selectivity and discernment in its audience, who target what they want to watch and go there, be aware that the BBC had to refine their iPlayer's Search capability, since 35%, and growing, of their accesses are from people without a specific programme in mind, who are truffle-hunting for something interesting. Having presumably exhausted the current linear choice, and using the IPlayer like a giant Radio Times where all the programmes are on at once.
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
    al said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with BBC Three.
  • DavidSim1DavidSim1 Member Posts: 11
    edited 26 June 2014, 6:34AM
    al said:

Nice to see more content on the UKTV player, although this is a very annoying piece of PR!
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:55PM
    al said:

I'm curious. What do you find annoying?
    al said:

What may seem an annoying piece of PR may be exactly that, or it may be a sign of the interesting media times.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014...
    al said:

I'm surprised by the Guardian article.
    It's interesting that content that many people regard as not terribly exciting (Dave etc) looks like it's hot property.

al said:

Here's Broadcast's view:

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/mu...
    al said:

Not helpful c c - we need a subscription to read that.

al said:

Actually, you don't. I don't have a subscription. One-time access is permitted.
    al said:

It doesn't work for me.
    Perhaps you could tell us what it says?
    al said:

What I would do, if I could, is delete the link, since it seems to be causing an upset. Unfortunately, the forum software won't let me. Please take the wish for the deed, and I'll avoid posting Broadcast links in future, OK?
    al said:

al said:

And?
    al said:

Please don't think I was upset c c, I just wasn't sure if you realised that Broadcast's material is hard to access.
    I have found ways of getting at in the past by doing a google search and choosing a mobile version of their website, but it doesn't always work.

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Here you go -

"UKTV plans to mine audience data in the same way as Channel 4 via its soon-to-launch VoD service, introducing personalisation and, ultimately, using it to help inform commissioning decisions.

The multichannel broadcaster set out plans this week to create UKTV Play, which will replace its existing channel-led VoD services with a single online platform.

The service, which was largely developed in-house and will initially be available on iOS devices, PCs and YouView, will launch in its most basic form later this summer.

Users will be able to catch up with UKTV content, such as Dave’s Dave Gorman: Modern Life Is Goodish, and access boxsets for shows including Lizard LickTowing and Black Ops.

Once UKTV Play is more established, the broadcaster will introduce increased functionality aimed at personalising the service. Users will be able to create a personal schedule, while the recommendations they receive will improve.

UKTV chief executive Darren Childs said the data strategy offered “another return path” to viewers, helping the broadcaster build a better picture of their needs. He hopes this will give UKTV a “competitive advantage”, as well as helping to inform future commissioning decisions.

The plan echoes C4’s strategy of getting users to log in to 4oD. The C4 service has more than 10 million registered users, who receive personalised emails about forthcoming shows and increasingly sophisticated recommendations.

UKTV Play will also offer ‘staff picks’, with commissioners and producers making recommendations about particular shows in a bid to make the brand less “faceless”.

The VoD player will also premiere content before it is aired on linear television, starting with the second series of Tiger Aspect’s Dave format Crackanory later this year.

Childs accepted that UKTV’s current VoD offering, which includes standalone platforms for channels such as Dave and Really, was “fragmented” and said broadening the offer would be a simple step that would improve discoverability. “If I’m a Dave fan, I might fancy a bit of Attenborough on Eden,” Childs said.

He added: “This puts the UKTV brand right back in the consumer space. There are huge benefits to the brand standing on its own two feet, because we can use the breadth of content we offer to move people around and give audiences more.”

UKTV Play will be run by director of commercial and business development Dan Fahy and Emma Boston, the recently promoted general manager for VoD. Head of VoD Kim Morris will oversee editorial content."

(I Typed UKTV into Google News and clicked on the Broadcast link.)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    What would we do without you Visionman?
    And to think you nearly jumped ship.

gwatuk said:

What would we do without you Visionman?
    And to think you nearly jumped ship.

Find it for yourself?
    al said:

And I must have had my one go already :-(
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 March 2017, 4:24PM

Am I right in thinking UKTV Play demand player still hasn't made an appearance on YouView....

scott said:

Am I right in thinking UKTV Play demand player still hasn't made an appearance on YouView....

Nope. It's Dave, etc.

Bottom row, four along in this picture. Bottom row, two along on my box right now.

imageimage

http://corporate.uktv.co.uk/about-uktv/youview/article/youview-faqs/
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited 14 November 2014, 2:21AM
    scott said:

Does your YouView box not have the S4C player
    scott said:

Yes it does. For convenience, the screen above was grabbed from the YouView consultation document, not my TV.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 10:48AM
    scott said:

I did know ;-) It was more a nod to the promise 'the UKTV play demand player would be available on youview before the end of the year'.. Getting very close now :)
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:56PM
    scott said:

Hi Scott - Have a look at your On Demand Players page now ;)

Also - have a look at the UKTV Press Release for more information.
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited 18 November 2014, 12:28PM
    scott said:

Other than new logos, it just looks the same! Can't believe it's taken since June, just for that!