Huawei and TalkTalk celebrate one million YouView set top boxes in British homes

edited 6 March 2017, 7:32AM in Archived Posts
Huawei and TalkTalk celebrate one million YouView set top boxes in British homes
The milestone marks an important chapter in the hugely successful strategic partnership between Huawei and TalkTalk that has spanned six years, with the exclusive partnership in set-top boxes for TalkTalk since 2012 when it began.

Comments

• TomWTomW Member Posts: 508 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 6:35PM
    "Earlier this year, Huawei launched the YouView DN371T, an entirely new generation of set-top box"

Would like to know what exactly was entirely new. Based on the user reports I have read whatever new components there are haven't improved the speed of the box, which was the main complaint about the old TalkTalk box.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:55PM
    TomW said:

"Earlier this year, Huawei launched the YouView DN371T, an entirely new generation of set-top box"

Would like to know what exactly was entirely new. Based on the user reports I have read whatever new components there are haven't improved the speed of the box, which was the main complaint about the old TalkTalk box.

Correct.

• dave2dave2 Member Posts: 11
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    in reply to the so called milestone mark of 1 million one can only wonder how many customers still have the box and of them how many actually use them 
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM
    dave2 said:

in reply to the so called milestone mark of 1 million one can only wonder how many customers still have the box and of them how many actually use them 

Whilst I would be surprised if they were to publish more specific data in principle they no doubt could, e.g.
    • They could review the nightly update checks and see how many of the different types of boxes are phoning home (regardless of whether it is actually the original owner/recipient of the box). That would give a lower figure and be a much closer estimate of boxes that are setup for use (rather than in a cupboard, disposed or not networked so not fully operational). Some people could of course unplug the box at nights or temporarily have no network connection etc but this should be a fairly accurate measure.
    • Going forwards once all boxes have new enough software with the feature (so not TalkTalk boxes yet nor BT G4/T2100/T2110 boxes yet) then they could look at the viewing info the boxes now share/provide back to YouView/the content partners and assess that as a mechanism of the level of box use. People can of course turn off that feature but it is on by default and that is no doubt how many people will leave it.
  • edited 6 March 2017, 7:32AM
    I seem to have lost the plot as to how many YouView users there are.
    TalkTalk seem to be saying 1 million. What are BT's figures?
    Have we passed the 2 million figure for all users?

• scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 10:48AM
    gwatuk said:

Problem is BT only quote BTTV users (1 Million) but which the majority are on the old Vision system. I believe the BT/YouView figures were around the 300,000 mark but with them shutting down the old Vision service next week that figure will rise as some move across to YouView.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    gwatuk said:

Just to clarify Scotts comment, its BTs silver boxes that are being discontinued next week, not the black ones or the Vision service itself.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • c cc c Member Posts: 413
    edited 9 July 2014, 11:05PM
    gwatuk said:

Though the black-box users are YouView-users-to-be, already subscribed, so it makes sense to include them in the figures.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 10:48AM
    gwatuk said:

Visionman - Yes sorry by 'old vision service' I meant the first generation silver boxes not the Vision service totally.
    cc - Yes BT would love (and will eventually) move all it's subscribers onto the YouView platform, although this could still be some way off yet.