New HD Channels

c cc c Member Posts: 413
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
Arqiva and Channel 4 launch new HD channels

On Tuesday 1 July we will launch two new HD channels, Channel 4 +1 HD and 4seven HD, on Freeview.

The channels are available to over 70% of the UK population from our newly launched Freeview HD multiplex.These new channels are additional HD Freeview services on the new ‘COM7’ multiplex and will join the HD channels we already offer including BBC News HD and Al Jazeera English HD...

Channel 4 +1 HD will be available on channel number 110 on Freeview and 4seven HD on 111.

Comments

• stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:32AM
    Nice. Very happy to see more HD channels coming online. I think I would have preferred to see Film4 HD. But still. This is good news.
  • c cc c Member Posts: 413
    edited 9 July 2014, 11:05PM
    stormy said:

Nice. Very happy to see more HD channels coming online. I think I would have preferred to see Film4 HD. But still. This is good news.

Yes, Film4 HD would be great. But it's pobably rights issues, I suppose, that get in the way
    stormy said:

a515digital says:
    FAQ: Why Channel 4+1 and 4seven HD and not Film4, E4 or More4 HD on Freeview HD?
    The announcement that Channel 4, together with multiplex operator Arqiva, is to launch two HD channels on Freeview from July 2014 has raised the question why the broadcaster has elected to launch HD versions of timeshift channel Channel 4+1 and 'best of 4' channel 4seven instead of HD versions of one of their other channels, such as Film 4 HD.

A: Film4 HD, E4 HD and More4 HD are all currently tied into carriage agreements that make them exclusively available in HD on pay TV platforms, and can therefore not be carried at the present time on Freeview, or indeed Freesat. 4seven HD and Channel 4+1 HD are brand new HD channels.

When Channel 4 launched HD versions of E4, More4 and Film4, there was insufficient capacity on Freeview to carry them. With pay TV operators willing to pay extra to have extra HD channels carried on their platforms, and the more expensive cost of distributing HD channels (as they use more bandwidth), it made sense to monetize these channels. Across Europe, notably Germany, Austria and Switzerland, many commercial HD channels are behind a paywall, whereas the standard definition versions are not, partly due to the extra cost and the ability to charge extra for a 'premium' viewing experience.

In 2005, E4 (standard definition) made the switch from pay TV to free-to-air TV when its pay TV carriage deals came to an end, so Channel 4 has shown that services currently behind a paywall don't have to permanently stay there.

By securing valuable Freeview slots for Channel 4+1 HD and 4seven HD, Channel 4 is now in a position to substitute any of its new HD channels should it ever choose to take one of its other HD services from pay TV to free-to-air TV in the future.

Channel 4 has done this before. At the end of 2005, the broadcaster took control of a newly created Freeview slot and used the bandwidth to launch timeshift channel More4 +1. In the summer of 2006, More 4+1 was substituted with Film4, which made the switch from pay to free TV.
    So perhaps we'll yet see Film4 HD on Freeview/YouView .

a515digital also says COM8 is being used for the BBC's UHD trials. And elsewhere it's being reported that the BBC will be doing a public UHD broadcast at the Commonwealth Games. Can't believe enough people are shelling out for these sets to make it worthwhile, but I guess the BBC has better data on that than I do.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 10:48AM
    stormy said:

So do we actually know how long the existing carriage deal is for these channels.
    stormy said:

The spectrum has been awarded to Arqiva on an interim basis. The licence will run until 2026, but with a minimum duration to 31 December 2018, subject to revocation on 24 months' notice.
    Such a revocation could come if Ofcom decides more spectrum is needed for mobile communications services rather than TV.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology...
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 8:24AM
    stormy said:

I assume Scott means Sky and Virgins deal with Film4 HD. Something I'd like to see the answer to also.

Surely UHD is a bit of a waste for us license payers at the moment. I'd prefer them to put than money into keeping BBC Three HD continuing.
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    stormy said:

4seven HD and Channel 4+1 HD are brand new HD channels.
    So would Film4+1 HD. I'd be happy with that.
    stormy said:

So would I. But maybe the terms of the Film4 HD deal preclude it?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Hoo-bloody-ray. Countdown is now on far too early on Channel 4 to be suitable to have tea and biscuits with, so we watch it at a more suitable time on Ch4+1. But the picture is dreadful, with Nick's ties, and often Rachel's dresses, shimmering badly. Ch4+1 HD will be just the ticket!
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...