"We are the only operator in the world that has Netflix in our set-top box"

c cc c Member Posts: 413
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
Interview with Virgin CEO (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/ma...)
The tendency is to think of the core offering of the media giants as the programmes that are broadcast. But Mockridge believes the real battleground is broadband. ‘With broadband comes home television, comes home telephony and increasingly mobile too.’
In the UK, Mockridge says, the only real competition is BT.

‘If you buy from Sky you are a BT customer, if you buy from PlusNet, it is a subsidiary of BT. There are only two networks in the UK, our network and BT.
Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/ma...

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Top link works OK, but bottom one seems broken...
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
  • c cc c Member Posts: 413
    edited 9 July 2014, 11:05PM
    Apologies. It's the same link, added superfluously by the webpage when I copied the excerpt. Thought I had deleted it.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    True that. Sadly, due to a lack of network expansion, Virgin Media isn't really a competitor to BT. I love seeing price wars (like what is happening now between Sky and BT). Still, with VM's recent acquisition, you never know...

As for Netflix, I've read that they are looking to expand rapidly in the UK and if one of either Netflix or Lovefilm didn't appear on the YV platform I would be gob-smacked.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Visionman said:

True that. Sadly, due to a lack of network expansion, Virgin Media isn't really a competitor to BT. I love seeing price wars (like what is happening now between Sky and BT). Still, with VM's recent acquisition, you never know...

As for Netflix, I've read that they are looking to expand rapidly in the UK and if one of either Netflix or Lovefilm didn't appear on the YV platform I would be gob-smacked.

Interesting. Can you recall where you read that?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    Visionman said:

There are many articles about it. But heres a recent example -

http://www.bidnessetc.com/22450-netflix-continues-to-make-new-highs/
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Visionman said:

Can't find anything on NetFlix expanding in the UK but there was a press release a few weeks ago about planned expansion in Europe: they're moving into France, Germny, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium and Luxembourg "later this year".

NetFlix isn't hard to find in the UK, being available on Samsung TVs, Roku boxes, Chromecast, various game consoles and come to think of it, Panasonic PVRs. Mockridge really should have said "We are the only operator in the UK with NetFlix behind our paywall"
    Visionman said:

There are many articles about it. But heres a recent example -

http://www.bidnessetc.com/22450-netfl...
    Our posts crossed. But that article is about the European expansion, not about UK plans. They're adding countries, not platforms per se.