Running Huawei YouView box operation freezes when an ethernet cable is connected

Michal PelszykMichal Pelszyk Posts: 14Member
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
I am reporting a bug that occurs in the following scenario:
* STB has no ethernet wire connected
* Ethernet wire is connected
* STB displays "Youview is connected to the Internet again" message on top of the screen and freezes.

More details:
* Affected both Plus and Essentials Huawei boxes (last time I encountered it a month ago)
* The current channels keeps working (picture and sound do not freeze).
* STB does not respond to any buttons except the power button (both remote and on the stb itself). It goes to standby properly, but upon waking it up the message is still displayed on screen and stb is still stuck. Disconnecting the ethernet wire does not unfreeze it. The only way to restore operation is to power cycle it.

* Occured when:
- stb was connected and updated during initial setup, then wire was disconnected during reboot, then connected again when stb completely started
- fully set up stb was being diagnosed, ethernet wire disconnected for several minutes then reconnected
- seems to happen more on unstable dsl lines
- happened several times when rtr had no sync at the time

* Router make and model do not seem to matter.
* First encountered it about a year ago, last time about a month ago. I simply avoid this scenario to minimize it happening.

Other problems encountered:

* During second stage of setup (after update-reboot) the setup program crashes when trying to enter postcode. The screen goes black for about a minute, then the "Welcome to installation wizard, press OK to start tuning" window shows.
- Affects both Huawei Plus and Essentials boxes
- It happened once on other screen than the postcode entry.
- This changed the way I set up these as now I do completely ignore all setup questions during second stage and change them after the setup wizard is complete.

* STB often slow to respond to commands when connected to unstable internet. Good few times disconnecting the ethernet wire made it work much better.

Disclaimer:
I am a Qube engineer. I tried several times to report bugs to call centre advisors, was always given the cold shoulder. Maybe this place will net better results.

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Consolidated list of bugs and faults topic.

Comments

• SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM
    Hi Michal,

Welcome to the forum.

There are a few issues there to address, hopefully I get them all!

The first issue you have reported has been already investigated and fixed. This fix will be included in a future software update. I will update this thread when the fix is readily available through a software update. 

The second issue raised, whereby the setup wizard restarts, is one that we are currently investigating and testing but is not yet resolved. If I get confirmation that this is fixed and is ready to be included in a future software update, I'll update this thread. 

To address the last point about slow responsiveness, we are working on improving the performance of the box and hope to have some improvements rolled out in future software also. 

Thank you for providing us with this level of detail. This was of great help when looking up the issues. I could have told you were an engineer even without you having to say so :)

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,423Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM
    Sanj said:

Hi Michal,

Welcome to the forum.

The first issue you have reported has been already investigated and fixed. This fix will be included in a future software update. I will update this thread when the fix is readily available through a software update. 

The second issue raised, whereby the setup wizard restarts, is one that we are currently investigating and testing but is not yet resolved. If I get confirmation that this is fixed and is ready to be included in a future software update, I'll update this thread. 

To address the last point about slow responsiveness, we are working on improving the performance of the box and hope to have some improvements rolled out in future software also. 

Thank you for providing us with this level of detail. This was of great help when looking up the issues. I could have told you were an engineer even without you having to say so :)

Thanks Sanj for confirming the status of these issues. I've now added the first two issues to the consolidated list of bugs and faults topic :)
  • Michal PelszykMichal Pelszyk Posts: 14Member
    edited 23 July 2014, 5:59AM
    Sanj said:

Hi Michal,

Welcome to the forum.

What is interesting is that the performance is not consistent. I see good few boxes that respond well, even brilliantly. If all were performing so well there would be no complaints. But then I see a lot of boxes that move like molasses in January.
    This is regardless of whether they were just set up, restarted, had internet connected etc.

The inconsistency is what really vexes me.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,689Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I'm glad you will be fixing issue 1 above, Sanj, but connecting the Ethernet while the box is running seems to entirely contravene the advice 1b on page 27 of my Humax User Guide:-

b) Disconnect the product from the mains before you start any maintenance or installation procedures

Do I take it that Huaweis are supposed to require no such precautions?

In general, we are counselled against hot-swapping any cables while the box is live - even RF cables can give you a nip if you are not careful - but we tend to do it anyway, and usually get away with it.

But if plugging/unplugging the Ethernet cable made my running Humax YouView box freeze, I would expect to have to shrug my shoulders and go back and do it properly.
    I see the police have a new call-in code: DOE, for ‘Driving Offences Excused’
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:56PM
    Roy1 said:

I'm glad you will be fixing issue 1 above, Sanj, but connecting the Ethernet while the box is running seems to entirely contravene the advice 1b on page 27 of my Humax User Guide:-

b) Disconnect the product from the mains before you start any maintenance or installation procedures

In general, we are counselled against hot-swapping any cables while the box is live - even RF cables can give you a nip if you are not careful - but we tend to do it anyway, and usually get away with it.

But if plugging/unplugging the Ethernet cable made my running Humax YouView box freeze, I would expect to have to shrug my shoulders and go back and do it properly.

You raise a very good point Roy. Generally speaking, you are advised against hot swapping like you said but we know that this can still happen. Admittedly I have on occasion done this with other devices too. Shame on me!

Huawei retail boxes have a 'Safety Information' section in their YouView User Manual and TalkTalk Huawei boxes have a separate manual dedicated to 'Safety Information & License Information' included in the packaging. Both include information on how to use the device safely in the same way your Humax YouView user guide does. 
    edited 2 August 2014, 9:41AM
    Roy1 said:

This issue can occur even if the stb or vicinity is not touched. Let's say the router is to be repositioned and I need to unplug wires for a bit. Or replaced.
    Even restarting the router is, effectively, detected as unplugging the cord for a short while by the stb.

PS. When in driving school I was told to appraise car before each drive. Check tyre thread and pressure, ensure the lights are working, there is enough oil etc. You know where I'm going here.

Besides, safety precautions is one subject while design and it's application is a completely different one.
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Michal said:-

Even restarting the router is, effectively, detected as unplugging the cord for a short while by the stb.

Indeed so; this is unavoidable by the nature of things. And it isn't an unsafe practice, either for the user or for the equipment.

But are you saying this crashes your YouView box? In that case something is very wrong. My Humax does not crash here; in fact it reconnects seamlessly, and carries on as if nothing much has happened.

PS. When in driving school I was told to appraise car before each drive. Check tyre tread and pressure, ensure the lights are working, there is enough oil etc. You know where I'm going here.

Not a clue. Please enlighten me.

Besides, safety precautions is one subject while design and its application is a completely different one.

You must tell that to the car manufacturer I work for then. They will be startled to learn this.
    edited 2 September 2014, 9:43PM
    Roy1 said:

Indeed so; this is unavoidable by the nature of things. And it isn't an unsafe practice, either for the user or for the equipment.

But are you saying this crashes your YouView box? In that case something is very wrong. My Humax does not crash here; in fact it reconnects seamlessly, and carries on as if nothing much has happened.

PS. When in driving school I was told to appraise car before each drive. Check tyre tread and pressure, ensure the lights are working, there is enough oil etc. You know where I'm going here.

Besides, safety precautions is one subject while design and its application is a completely different one.

You must tell that to the car manufacturer I work for then. They will be startled to learn this.

>But are you saying this crashes your YouView box? In that case something is very wrong.
    Yes, that is what I am saying. And it has already been accepted as a bug. Why the attack?
    AFAIK IEEE 802.3 defines Ethernet as hot-pluggable connection.

>My Humax does not crash here; in fact it reconnects seamlessly, and carries on as if nothing much has happened.
    Intermittent issue, but frequent enough to be considered a problem. I have not dealt with enough Humaxes to confirm or deny existence of this bug on Humax. It would certainly be reasonable to assume this kind of issue it is on the hardware or driver level, which would make Humax, as a completely different platform from that point of view, free from this bug.

>Not a clue. Please enlighten me.
    One is expected to open the bonnet and check oil level before driving. There is a car that does not start 20% of the time until the bonnet is opened and oil level checked. The oil level is fine.
    Should the owner:
    * shrug (...) shoulders and go back and do it properly
    * Treat it as a problem with the car.

You insist on the first one on the basis that the driver is not following the safety guidance. I disagree.

>>Besides, safety precautions is one subject while design and its application is a completely different one.

>You must tell that to the car manufacturer I work for then. They will be startled to learn this.

OK, I put it down wrong. Let me rephrase:
    safety requirements ⊂ design
    safety requirements ⊅ design
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Roy1 said:

No attack here - sympathy if anything.

While we can debate if the YouView box is compliant with the IEEE standard, we can most certainly agree that where no plugging is involved, the Ethernet connection ought to recover. Which mine (as an admittedly small sample) does.

If yours crashes, there is indeed something wrong with your YouView box.

But the bug, AIUI, relates to the hot-pluggability. Whereas yours crashes, if I read you aright, on connection re-establishment, which no YouView box should do.

In your car analogy, perhaps one should treat that as a car which is trying to enforce the bonnet/oil check, and actually fails to do so 80% of the time? :-)

Re your last two lines, if the intention was to lose me, you succeeded. Unfortunately, you succeeded so well that you did not convey any information to me.

And Google is similarly confounded:-

It has the first symbol, reversed, as meaning either 'implies' or 'superset', but does not provide it the way round you show it. Are you using a commutative logic here, though?

For the second one, it merely says:-

Your search - ⊅ - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

Try different keywords.

Or perhaps wait an hour or two, when no doubt these postings will show up....
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM
    Update:

Issue persists, experienced today on new Huawei DN630T.01.02.P Essentials box with serial number starting with V8EEQA

Manufacturer software: 60.30.07
    Component software: 1.7.22
    Platform configuration: 634
    ISP Configuration: 1401011

Today's scenario:
    1. Rtr and stb off, with Powerline Adapters.
    2. Turn stb on. Check readings etc, about 3 minutes altogether.
    3. Turn router on.
    4. Stb frozen.

Update:

Issue persists, experienced today on new Huawei DN630T.01.02.P Essentials box with serial number starting with V8EEQA

Today's scenario:
    3. Turn router on.
    4. Stb frozen.

Thanks for the update Michal. A couple months ago I mentioned that particular issue was due to be fixed in a future software update. That update is in the process of being rolled out to TalkTalk customers who have a Huawei YouView/YouView + Box. See our announcement for more information on this update.

Looks like the box you saw this issue on was on the now older software version. Would be great to know if you see this issue again on boxes that have taken the latest software. 
    edited 26 September 2014, 1:08AM

Update:

Today's scenario:
    3. Turn router on.
    4. Stb frozen.

Phased roll out the reason?
    The unit has been updated just before the issue occurred but apparently it received an older version of software.

Update:

Today's scenario:
    3. Turn router on.
    4. Stb frozen.

The TalkTalk software update article states the phased roll out is due to be completed by the 2nd Oct, so it may not have been available to that unit at the time. As long as their box is connected to the internet overnight, it should pick up this update. 
    edited 29 September 2014, 3:52PM

Update:

Today's scenario:
    3. Turn router on.
    4. Stb frozen.

Let's hope it's that. It happened to me today again. STB freshly installed, re-checked update to be certain - still pulls 60.30.07 from update server. Let's see how it goes 4 days from now.
    edited 17 November 2014, 6:51PM

Update:

Today's scenario:
    3. Turn router on.
    4. Stb frozen.

I have not come across this issue since the update was fully rolled out. I think it is fairly safe to confirm this bug is now fixed.
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:57PM

Update:

Today's scenario:
    3. Turn router on.
    4. Stb frozen.

That's reassuring to hear coming from an engineer. Thanks for feeding back to us. Much appreciated.