Scheduled recording only recording 3 mins then stops.

AileenAileen Posts: 1Member
edited 7 September 2017, 6:40PM in Archived Posts
Scheduled recording - only recording first 3 mins, this has been Since the last system update on the 31st October. Still have over 30% free space. Why is this happening and how do we sort?

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi Aileen, and welcome to the Community!

I was pretty certain I had seen this exact issue reported here in the last few days, but I can't find the relevant posting at all now :-(

Perhaps Keith, with his uncanny ability to operate the GS search ( or possibly a SQL database of every posting ever made here, I don't know) could find it for us?

However, you are not alone.

If you can report which programmes you have seen this on, which YouView box you have, which software version you are running on, and who your ISP is, this may help the YouView team narrow down the problem.

You can always give the software on your box a prod, either with the soft reset - touch the standby button for just over eight seconds, and let the box reboot - which is the YouView version of the Windows Restart, or with the more drastic Maintenance Mode Option 4 :-

http://support.youview.com/articles/S...

though whether these will do any good here, I don't know. Might be worth a try, though.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi Aileen, sorry to hear you're having this issue. As Roy mentioned what sounds like the same issue was reported on another thread.

This is something that we will need to look into. It would be very helpful if you could provide us with the information Roy has asked. Here are the questions with some directions on how to get this information:
    • What was the Programme/Channel/Time and Date of the recordings?
    • What is the signal strength/quality for that channel? (Settings > TV Signal & Quality > TV signal Quality (while on that channel))
    • Box Make/Model (Settings > System Information > Device Information)
    • Software versions (Settings > System Information > Software Version)
    In the meantime, there are a few health checks that you could try first:
    • Check your aerial connection is are securely connected. To be sure, disconnect then reconnect the cable (while box is off)
    • Re-tune Channels (Settings > TV Signal & Quality > Re-Tune Channels)
    • Soft Reboot (Press & hold standby button on the box for 8 seconds) 
    After doing this, please let me know if any other recordings fail to record more than 3 minutes
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 946Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    There are a few (currently 3 posters) on the BT forum that appear to have reported similar issue 

thread is
    https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/youview-recordings-stopping-after-2-minutes/td-p/1404053
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:57PM
    zulu17 said:

There are a few (currently 3 posters) on the BT forum that appear to have reported similar issue 

thread is
    https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/youview-recordings-stopping-after-2-minutes/td-p/1404053

Thanks Zulu17, I noticed you posted the questions for further information on there. That's really helpful, thank you. I'll keep an eye on that thread as well as the ones on here. 

I'm raising this with the tech teams are end and will follow up here when I have more information. 
  • paulo.fosterpaulo.foster Posts: 25Member
    edited 3 November 2014, 8:52PM
    zulu17 said:

thread is

Jonathan Ross failed on Saturday .ITV1 HD 10.15 recorded for sixty seconds. Just like the other responses here only in the last few days has this started. Using a you view humax box supplied by bt. Itv hd is a strong signal and the X factor and chase all recorded perfectly earlier in the evening .All 3 are on series record. I await this fix as you have to check the guide to see if it has stopped recording which is most inconvenient .
  • Heather2Heather2 Posts: 2Member
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM

We have the same problem. Grand Prix Highlights failed after 2 mins yesterday on BBC 1 HD (series recording) 10.30pm. Also Animal Cops on Animal Planet failed today (again 2 mins recorded). We have a Humax Youview Box DTRT1000

• radoxradox Posts: 62Member
    edited 4 November 2014, 9:15AM
    Looks like this problem only affects channels on the COM7 multiplex (HD channels & Motors TV)
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 9:55PM
    Heather2 said:

We have the same problem. Grand Prix Highlights failed after 2 mins yesterday on BBC 1 HD (series recording) 10.30pm. Also Animal Cops on Animal Planet failed today (again 2 mins recorded). We have a Humax Youview Box DTRT1000

Hi Heather,

We are still looking into this issue, however have you tried coming out of the recording and going back into them to play them again?

i wanted to check if the recording was only a couple of minutes long, or the playback stopped too soon. try going back in to play it and let me know what you see.

Thanks,

Phil
  • Heather2Heather2 Posts: 2Member
    edited 4 November 2014, 6:39PM
    Heather2 said:

Hi, we went out and back in but it was only 2 mins long. The GP was still showing as recording (with the R symbol showing) but it clearly was not. We'd sat down to watch it whilst it was still recording. The other program should have recorded whilst the TV was off.
  • Bob FitzsimmonsBob Fitzsimmons Posts: 9Member
    edited 15 December 2014, 11:33PM
    I am glad I am not alone having this issue . l had the issue of recordings stopping early in playback but trying again usually played the whole programme. We too lost the Grand Prix, Downton, Guy Martin Speed andMatch of the Day. Not very happy. I will try the suggestions and hope it fixes the problem. Clearly there are issues with the latest update.
  • Andy ClarksonAndy Clarkson Posts: 4Member
    edited 6 November 2014, 9:44AM
    3 minute recordings last night for emmerdale, corrie, the apprentice and great continental rail journeys. Good signal on retail Humax DRT1000.
    edited 6 November 2014, 9:48AM
    Also had problems with playback. Programme jumps to end after a few minutes playing. Programme can then be watched in full!
    Hi Andy/Bob,

We are looking to investigate this further so really appreciate any additional information you can provide on this one guys.
    • What was the Programme/Channel/Time and Date of the recordings? (is it SD or HD content?)
    • What is the signal strength/quality for that channel? (Settings > TV Signal & Quality > TV signal Quality (while on that channel))
    • Box Make/Model (Settings > System Information > Device Information)
    • Software versions (Settings > System Information > Software Version)
    • Are you watching the programme simultaneously when recording the programme (or is it a set recording while viewing something else)
    • Does this happen consistently (and for all recordings set)? i.e. is it happening once and then you can play the full recording when going back into it- or does returning to the recording later cause the issue to re-occur?
    • Is the recording complete when playback is re-attempted, or does it cut off at the 3 minute mark?
    • Is the box behaving otherwise normally (speed, responsiveness)?
    • How much Hard Disk Drive space is left on the box (can be checked in 'MyView')
    Andy you mentioned that the recording ends prematurely after 3 minutes, but returning to the recording means it plays through without issue, is this something you are able to try Bob?

Any more information would be really useful.

Thanks,

Phil
    edited 6 November 2014, 3:24PM
    All programmes on 5 November 2014 that recorded for 1-3 minutes.

Emmerdale 19:00 STV HD
    Coronation Street 19.30 STV HD
    Emmerdale 20.00 STV +1
    Coronation Street 20.30 STV +1
    The Apprentice 21.00 BBC1 Scotland HD
    Great Continental Rail Journeys 21.00 BBC2 HD

All Channels Signal Strength 74% Signal Quality 100%

Humax DTRT1000
    Software
    MS 20.9.0
    CS 2.8.18
    PC 1232
    ISP 84

Set Recordings (on series link) - watching BBC news channel

Problem started after downloading new software.

Recording is only specified length i.e. 3 minutes

80% free space on box

The problem with recordings go to the end is sporadic and doesn't happen for all recordings.

I have soft booted the system this morning!

Andy
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for getting back to me with more info, I wanted to check a couple of things here:

- You mentioned the issue with Emmerdale and Coronation Street, when looking at these recordings in 'My View' does it tell you that they are only 3 minutes long or the full 30 minutes?

- Is there any indication the programmes have failed recording or say they are partially recorded (or do they otherwise look fully recorded)?

- If the recording playback cuts out at 3 minutes, are you able to press OK to go back into 'My View' and then from here play the recording again? If so does it go beyond the 3 minutes and play normally?

I wanted to check if the recordings affected are only 3 minutes long in entirety, or they stop at 3 minutes on first play through, but subsequently work for the normal duration when played back again.

Thanks,

Phil
  • steve wakemansteve wakeman Posts: 2Member
    edited 20 November 2014, 12:11AM
    Same issue(s) on Humax YouView box. Device info model reads DTRT1000 for some reason but the box is actually a 500GB T-1010 (as marked on the reverse of the unit).

Have had two 'new' issues over the last week or so.

Issue 1. Playing back a recording stops after a couple of minutes saying the playback has finished, we can stop the playback and try it again and it runs the whole recording. The recording in MyView does not show any error and is the expected duration

Issue 2. The recording only records a couple of minutes and in MyView shows as Part Recorded - the duration shows as 12.00am - 12.02am for example. Here are the most recent ones...

Dallas - 6 nov 1.01-1.03 am (Ch 5+1)
    Dallas - 6 nov 12.00-12.02 am (Ch 5)
    The Apprentice:you're Fired - 5 nov 10.00-10.01pm (BBC 2)

Very annoying, seems like a new bug with every release, last time around it was recordings failing all over the place, now it's partial playback and partial recordings.

Looking forward to the system getting stable sometime....!

Thanks

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for updating on this one, it sounds like there are two separate issues noted here- one where the recording does not complete, and the other where the first attempt at playing back the recording stops at 3 minutes- with subsequent attempts proving successful.

We are currently investigating this further so will update when there is more information available.

Thanks,

Phil
  • David BurridgeDavid Burridge Posts: 2Member
    I have the same problem , last weekend it recorded two minutes of strictly results and last night two minutes of Peaky Blinders. DTR 1000, good signal and over 80% available space. At least I can now prove not my incompetence
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

I have the same problem , last weekend it recorded two minutes of strictly results and last night two minutes of Peaky Blinders. DTR 1000, good signal and over 80% available space. At least I can now prove not my incompetence

To which my wife's reply would be "You bought it, didn't you?" :-)
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
  • steve wakemansteve wakeman Posts: 2Member
    edited 7 November 2014, 5:35PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for updating on this one, it sounds like there are two separate issues noted here- one where the recording does not complete, and the other where the first attempt at playing back the recording stops at 3 minutes- with subsequent attempts proving successful.

We are currently investigating this further so will update when there is more information available.

Thanks,

Phil

Thanks Phil, good luck :)
  • AnnecylachienneAnnecylachienne Posts: 5Member
    edited 7 November 2014, 11:37PM
    Suffering the same issue - some recordings only record for a few minutes; some recordings when played back while still recording play for only a few minutes and stop but when played again (even if still recording) they pay to the end.  Most recordings complete OK but many have late start times and miss the first few minutes.   Sounds like 3 different problems.  Only had the box less than a week so I'm hoping you fix these rather than me return the box for a refund to HumaxDirect.
  • Hilary SinclairHilary Sinclair Posts: 5Member
    edited 8 November 2014, 1:56PM
    Posted this problem on a different forum at the start of the week.  Hoped the problem would have been solved by now, but the QI XL I recorded this week just had the same 2 minutes recording time and even when I tried to play it back a 2nd time it still finished after 2 minutes (once or twice this solution has worked).  Also had the same problem with Masterchef the Professionals.  Doubly frustrating as even trying to watch it back with On Demand Iplayer the programme kept freezing and I had to keep pressing stop and play buttons to get it started again.  As these problems have all occurred since the software update last weekend I can't believe it's a coincidence and separate problems.  Is BT going to sort this soon?
  • TimmyDTimmyD Posts: 16Member
    edited 9 November 2014, 10:25AM

My box has started doing this too.  2 or three weeks ago it started having the 3 minute playback problem that you could work around by replaying the recording and it would all be there and play ok (Note that it always showed the full time of recording) but now it stops recording after 3 minutes so there is no way of recovering it.(And shows only 3 minutes on the recording time)   It doesn't seem to do it all the time, but we now can't trust it and have set the TV to record programs aswell just incase this fails.

Manufacturer Software 20.9.0

Component Software 2.8.18

Platform config 1232

ISP config 1402011

The latest programs to fail and just record 3 minutes are:-

Strictly Come Dancing BBC1 HD Sat 8/11  6:30 PM -> 8:00 PM.  3 Minutes recorded

Formula 1: Brazilian Grand Prix Sat 8/11   9:00 PM -> 10:30 PM. 3 Minutes recorded

What is really strange is if you check it during the time of the program it shows it as recording, even if it isn't.

Really not happy with this, is there any way of dropping back a software release or two?

• CliveRapleyCliveRapley Posts: 6Member
    edited 9 November 2014, 11:49PM
    I have a new box less than two weeks old and it is also doing the same thing. Mine is a Humax DTR T1010 500GB brought direct from Humax.

Manufacturers Software 20.9.0
    Component Software 2.8.18
    Platform Config 1232
    ISP 226

It stops recording after two minutes in my case, there are no errors the program plays for the two minutes then reports it has finished and the Myview recording page reports it has been watched. The progress bar shows only two minutes has been recorded.

I also have the second issue where a full recording only plays for two minutes then reports it has been watched. To view the recording I have to restart then it will play through to the end no problem.

Personally I would suspect these two issues are linked it is too much of a coincidence that the failed recordings and the play back of successful recordings both fail after the same time period.

The most recent programs to only record two minutes are:

Dr Who BBC1 HD 8:00 pm Saturday 8th Nov
    Strictly Come Dancing BBC1 HD 7.45 Sunday 9th Nov
    X Factor Results  ITV HD  8.00 pm Sunday 9th Now

The most recent program (and certainly not the first) recorded successfully but only played the first two minutes before restarting the box was:

Rome The Worlds First Superpower  C5 HD 8.00 pm 7th Nov

I canceled Sky and moved to Youview and the Humax box due to good reviews. I am hoping it will not be a decision I will regret.
  • mintominto Posts: 13Member
    edited 10 November 2014, 5:21PM
    I am also getting exactly the same problem.  Sometimes it is 1 minute, usually 3.  Free space is 57% I have done all the maintenance mode thing. I suspect the last software update. Humax DTR 1000. Since the last update.
  • mintominto Posts: 13Member
    edited 10 November 2014, 5:34PM
    As a temporary fix, could Humax update the software with the previous version?
  • Val RyanVal Ryan Posts: 8Member
    edited 17 November 2014, 11:01AM
    Have had an on line chat with bt tech and gone through all re boot procedures with them but nothing worked, they are now sending an engineer tomorrow, fingers crossed.
  • Hilary SinclairHilary Sinclair Posts: 5Member
    edited 10 November 2014, 5:58PM
    Val Ryan said:

Have had an on line chat with bt tech and gone through all re boot procedures with them but nothing worked, they are now sending an engineer tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Can you let us know what happens when the engineer comes?  If it works he is going to be very busy! 3 programmes in a row failed yesterday and one was successful - bizarre.
    edited 10 November 2014, 6:00PM
    Val Ryan said:

Will do, same here half way through Downton said recording had finished went back in and all there !
    edited 11 November 2014, 5:19PM
    Val Ryan said:

Didn't turn up ! Have complained to BT and they are coming again Thurs grrrrrrrrr