Scheduled recording only recording 3 mins then stops.

Comments

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM

Same problem here. Christmas day and nothing recorded more than three minutes, anything on bbc bbc1 hd, channel 4. Good signal quality.
    If I wrote software as bad as this, I'd be fired...

Hi Paulo - whilst I cannot absolutely answer your query as to what (other) systems YouView staff use themselves, I did actually ask a similar/related question in the recent Q&A. In the Q&A answers PDF linked from that topic my related/relevant question appears as number 39 where I asked 'Are you loyal to your own product or in your own homes do you also have Sky and/or Virgin TiVo services?'. They somewhat side stepped the question by answering it purely in relation to one person, Richard Halton the CEO, but nevertheless they did at least confirm Richard is fully behind the YouView product using it as his sole TV service for his home/family. From the conversations I've had with YouView staff, my impression is they are regular users of YouView (perhaps they are given a free box when they join the company) although I would expect some also take TV services via other providers. Given this issue made it through any internal testing and beta testing, and it is proving particularly difficult to pin down the root cause, I would expect none of the YouView staff are directly experiencing this issue.
  • Chris RaineyChris Rainey Member Posts: 4
    edited 25 January 2015, 3:19PM

Same problem here. Christmas day and nothing recorded more than three minutes, anything on bbc bbc1 hd, channel 4. Good signal quality.

I reckon this software bug could be a stack overflow. These are notoriously difficult to nail as the crash causes the software to become unstable. The stack overflow can be data dependent eg time, data processing of video etc. and apparently unpredictable. Exactly what many of us are experiencing. Food for thought.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM

@paulo

I did not accuse you of interference; just, in your frustration at this issue, of making derogatory comments about the YouView team that you can have no basis to suppose are true. And which, if you are honest, you probably don't even believe yourself.

I don't quite understand your comment about 'them' not having issues with the YouView box. I presume that no member of the YouView team has a box with the issues, if only because if they did, their techs would fall on it like a pack of wolves in order to see the problem first hand and investigate it.

Moving on, you are quite right that often I will praise the YouView team, and sometimes I will criticise them. Nothing strange in that, is there? The idea is very good, a lot of the innovations are very good indeed, but I'd like to see retail users get less of the short end of the stick, and progress be both faster and more certain. But I do try to ensure that any criticism I make is constructive rather than destructive.

Criticise YouView fairly and cogently, and you will like as not find me agreeing with you, not just blindly rushing to their defence because I take a contrarian view.

Overpraise them, and I may tug gently at your sleeve about that also.

I must also say that I really don't recognise myself as the person you seem to think I am. But then I doubt if anyone ever does see themselves as others see them. I will just have to comfort myself with the hope that your summation of me is as wide of the mark as your summation of the YouView team.

Oh, and Happy New Year to all; we get it an hour ahead of the UK here, fireworks are exploding everywhere, and I have just successfully eaten the twelve grapes :-)
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • John WestcottJohn Westcott Member Posts: 15
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    The last recorded incident of this fault was reported three days ago.  The main thread on the BT forum for this issue went quiet at the same time.
    Is it possible that the problem has temporarily resolved itself?  Or are people just getting fed up with reporting it?
    I say temporarily as I do not believe it has been fixed, it appeared to resolve itself for me  over a month ago and then came back in mid December.
  • Chris RaineyChris Rainey Member Posts: 4
    edited 2 January 2015, 10:39AM

The last recorded incident of this fault was reported three days ago.  The main thread on the BT forum for this issue went quiet at the same time.
    Is it possible that the problem has temporarily resolved itself?  Or are people just getting fed up with reporting it?
    I say temporarily as I do not believe it has been fixed, it appeared to resolve itself for me  over a month ago and then came back in mid December.

More and more like a software stack overflow. Data dependent crashes.
  • Dan NewmanDan Newman Member Posts: 2
    edited 2 January 2015, 11:07AM

I still had numerous failed recordings last night. Though this time the box did notice and then record a later viewing without problems. The initial recording failed after 2 minutes. Still an ongoing problem.
  • Grahame SlopeGrahame Slope Member Posts: 1
    edited 2 January 2015, 11:36AM

No it's not cured, but I have been watching this thread and the one on BT, and not bothered to report it as no real point as there is no cure at this time.. I also know of several other people who have the same problem, but have not bothered to report it, as they seem to just accept it as what modern technology does, or cant be bothered.

@Chris

Do you not think it might be a buffer overflow, or even a suppressed kernel panic?

My best guess about the mechanism though, based on observation, is that after about three minutes of writing to the disc, the box has a hiccup, after which it thinks it's still writing to the disc.

And sometimes it is, though it has left the hiccup there for the initial playback to trip over. But sometimes it isn't writing at all, though it will tell you it is for the duration of the recording, because it still thinks it is.
  • paulo.fosterpaulo.foster Member Posts: 27
    edited 2 January 2015, 9:33PM

Graham, I am still having issues but as you point out I do not comment every time as I canno be bothered.. I just follow the posts awaiting some update to fix. How do you view want us to tell them that the problem is still occurring I wonder? Latest was 2 mins of Holby City recoded on Tuesday' eve on bbc1 hd.

Good point paulo.

I think we can take silence as indicating 'problem still occurring' , since if things suddenly started working OK again, I think there would be more than a few posts describing that. Which there haven't been :-(

Early days yet but fingers crossed my problem may have been solved. I followed the instructions from Phil to enter maintenance mode and do a reset without loosing existing recordings. Now about 36 hours ago and so far so good, fingers very much crossed.

Hi paulo

I missed the importance of this observation of yours at the time :-(

It potentially indicates that the 'intact recordings stop after three minutes' issue is perhaps not to do with how recent recordings have been laid down, but entirely with how they are being replayed.

I hope the YouView team didn't miss this insight like I did.

NB: took 'girl' as 'well'. Yes?
  • John WestcottJohn Westcott Member Posts: 15
    edited 30 March 2015, 10:35AM

@Roy
    Your thought that the box might still thinks it is recording is one that I had considered as i think I remember the box still showing it was recording when our first recording failed in December. Surely the code checks for a successful write or maybe it doesn't.

I remember a weekend spent in Copenhagen many years ago when a customer changed COBOL compile options just before going live with a system and it all went pear shaped.  The options resulted in diferent machine instructions being generated and the divide by zero problem changed from a hard error to a soft error which COBOL wasn't checking for.

We had planned to watch Strictly with some friends, but slightly after the programme had started.

When we started to play the recording it failed shortly after starting and we reverted to watching live TV but noticed that the record flag was still showing on the schedule, but did not notice whether it was showing recording, part recorded or recorded.

I made the point earlier about "problem still occurring" as I only had the problem for 2 days on both occassions when it has affected me.

• paulo.fosterpaulo.foster Member Posts: 27
    edited 3 January 2015, 11:13AM

Early days yet but fingers crossed my problem may have been solved. I followed the instructions from Phil to enter maintenance mode and do a reset without loosing existing recordings. Now about 36 hours ago and so far so good, fingers very much crossed.

Thanks Roy. I must thoroughly check my posts before sending, "girl" indeed!! Never a fan of predictive typing.

I remember a weekend spent in Copenhagen many years ago when a customer changed COBOL compile options just before going live with a system and it all went pear shaped.  The options resulted in different machine instructions being generated and the divide by zero problem changed from a hard error to a soft error which COBOL wasn't checking for.
    Scandi-lous!
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 7:27PM

I now understand why you spend most of your time out of the country, Roy. It must be a lot safer.....

They don't call them war stories for nothing, you know :-)
  • Dean JohnsonDean Johnson Member Posts: 1
    edited 5 January 2015, 4:09PM

there is something that has really upset me with this situation, I got Playtv of the PS3 a few years ago and after Sony broke the system with there updates then they had to reform a team to fix the problem they made then they broke it again I said enough, I choose to get a freeview box that wasn't just a add on so I paid out £200 for something that would just do what it is ment to do, this was working fine and I have been very happy with the product. then someone has decided I need to update the software as it is pushed out to the system even if I don't want it and this happen to me on the 20th December and I then started to get the 3 minute recording problems.

If someone on here knew there was a problem with the software and they don't want to offer people a update from the version that was working then why don't they stop anyone else from getting it and why cant you add in the option if I want to update or not, so we choose if we want it or not.

• Ann3Ann3 Member Posts: 6
    edited 9 January 2015, 12:32AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi Hilary,

I appreciate this is a frustrating issue, the test team have been working on this as a priority to establish the cause. With the help of software engineers this will continue so a fix can be implemented as soon as possible. At this moment this is continuing to take place and there is no confirmed date.

There are a number of suggestions in this discussion which have worked for some viewers experiencing this problem. As soon as I have more information on this issue I will make sure to update on here.

Thanks,

Phil

Posting this, in case you need further confirmation of the rubbish service currently being provided.  I record a lot of stuff, as I am away from home quite a bit - just hating this problem, particularly as Broadchurch has started again!

Have had intermittently over past few weeks, but a lot worse over past few days, affecting BBC1, ITV1 and ITV+1, Ch5 (only channels I have recorded on over last few days).

Tonight, I did the health checks mentioned in an earlier post.

Set recordings for Big Brother - Ch5 - 08/01/2015 - 2200 hrs - only recorded 1 mins

Noticed the Ch5 had stopped recording, so set again for Big Brother - Ch5+1 - 08/01/205 - only recorded 6 mins

Also tried to record Big Brother's Bit on Side - Ch 5 - only recorded 4 mins

Then on C5+1, recorded 22 mins!

Channel 5 Signal Strength:  51, Signal Quality: 100%

Box Make/Model: Human/DTRT1000

Manufacturer Software version: 20.9.0 (last updated 27/11/2014.

Hoping to read soon that you have come up with solution, YV guys.

• David JusticeDavid Justice Member Posts: 6
    edited 7 December 2015, 6:35PM
    Keith1 said:

Given this problem is continuing to run and we still have no announced progress I have taken a further look back over the various threads that relate to this issue. Whilst this topic remains the main thread covering this issue there are several threads where it is covered and it is also generating a long thread on the BT forum:

Some things we do know are:
    • The broad issue is some recordings only play for 1-3 minutes but if played again will often play through completely. Some recordings however will only play for about 3 minutes even after trying further times. The issue can be intermittent (i.e. may not affect all recordings and/or may even come and go from day to day/week to week). [The issue is included as item 37 in the consolidated list of bugs and issues]
    • The Humax boxes specific YouView software update version 20.9.0 began rolling out on 23/10/2014 (see the consolidated list of updates and changes for some details).
    • The earliest reports of this recording/playback issue date back to 29/10/2014.
    • Some users have reported that whilst this problem started after 29/10/2014 they have recordings that pre-date that point in time which also now exhibit this issue (see for example Paulo's report here)
    • Affected users all report they are using a Humax YouView box (running the 20.9.0 software) but spread across the T1xxx and T2xxx boxes and retail and BT customers.
    • No Huawei TalkTalk boxes are affected and in particular a user (Stevieboy) with both box types is only seeing the issue on the Humax box.
    • benwiddowson has reported he has a BT supplied T2100 and a retail BT T2110, the T2100 has the issue but the T2110 does not. Apart from the supply route these 2 models are believed to be identical and in this case are in the same end user environment yet one is exhibiting the problem and the other is not.
    • There are on the order of 1 million Humax YouView boxes of which over 90% were supplied via BT. The majority of these boxes are the T1000 model.
    • The issue has been reported for T1000, T2000 and T2100 boxes and is presumed to affect all the Humax models (T1000, T1010, T2000, T2100, T2110).
    • The issue whilst clearly existing is not fully communicated to all the support channels which only adds to the frustration (e.g. BT support operatives not all aware).
    • The current advice is to try playing the item a second time, try an 8 second reset/restart, try a retune or failing all of those try a maintenance mode reset (preferably option 4 that keeps the recordings). Some users have reported such actions clearing the issue although others have also reported the problem then recurring at some point later.
    • YouView have indicated the problem is affecting a very small proportion of users but without any specific quantification of likely numbers of people/boxes affected.
    • Across the reports and me toos on the YouView forum plus the posts on the BT forum, to date the number of reported incidences appears to be on the order of 120 boxes. It is however rather difficult to assess how this might scale up across the entire Humax YouView box user base.
    Although there are no official details from YouView as to the (suspected) cause of this issue, given the timing of the start of the issue (soon after the rollout of the 20.9.0 software began), the nature of the issue (3 minute issue rather than at arbitrary points in a recording) and the fact it is affecting several Humax YouView box models, the prevailing consensus on the forum is this is a software (related) issue. The fact this does not happen to all recordings for those affected and is not affecting all users suggests there are likely to be several factors in play which when combined result in the issue for specific recordings on specific boxes. Some have speculated it could be a hardware issue (or even a signal strength issue) although that seems less likely given the coincident timing, although perhaps there could be a hardware or signal element that combines with a primary software issue for those affected.

Somewhat more speculatively, one could also note:
    • YouView will use version control for their code (e.g. git)
    • they could surely add a simple device management settings page option to allow/deny automatic updating combined with a suitable if statement around the relevant code to enable/disable the nightly automatic update checks
    • they could provide a previous version of this software via download to USB pen disk with this option enabled by default to allow such users to revert their boxes
    • downgrading/rolling back could come with its own risks if misapplied
    • cannot simply rollback/downgrade all users since previous software version will not provide the necessary functionality for the BBC connected red button, Netflix and Connect TV channels
    • YouView will be in a software freeze period over December/Christmas and also with low staff levels available
    • going forward they should introduce the user option of denying auto updating even if they strongly discourage its use (since it could lead to other problems or confusion when someone enables it and forgets this and then does not get necessary fixes or updates that could mean they experience different issues)
    • (if it does not already exist and is simply not being used) they should also have in place (should it ever be needed now or in the future) a robust means to offer a download for a downgrade to mitigate such an issue in the future and utilise it if they cannot fix a serious issue such as this within a reasonable time frame
    Looking back at the 3 most significant bugs/issues suffered (prior to this issue) since the YouView launch in summer 2012 we have:
    • channel loss issue (item 1 in the consolidated list of bugs and issue): only affected Humax boxes and only some users dependent on transmitter conditions; took about a month to pin down the issue and further month to develop, test and deploy the fix (with a short period before that where affected customers could receive the fix on a USB pen disk and then via a download). At the time this issue was a major crippling problem for those affected and understandably caused a lot of frustration.
    • long/double boot issue (item 11 in the consolidated list of bugs and issues): this affected all Humax boxes on startup from completely off or high eco standby. As such it primarily affected high eco mode users and could be worked around by putting the box in low eco mode. The issue was inconvenient but not overly serious and was resolved in 2 months.
    • BFIS (item 12 in the consolidated list of bugs and issues) - whilst boot fail, invalid signature is a valid report of a failing box in this instance it was some sort of software issue resulting in this unrecoverable state for Humax boxes. It affected very few people but was terminal where it happened. It took longer to resolve but was closed out within 4 months.
    In particular in the case of the channel loss problem YouView were able to capture streams for boxes in affected areas to use for testing (but this did not initially reproduce the problem in the YouView lab but they were subsequently able to reproduce the issue in the Humax lab and then the YouView lab) and also setup test boxes in such affected areas running additional diagnostic software.

Overall it took YouView about a month to isolate the issue and a further month to work through a fix and get it deployed. This was an issue early in the life of the YouView product and was reported by about half as many people as the current issue (in the 2 month period it was a live issue). At that time the YouView forum had a little over 1000 members compared to the over 6500 currently and the Humax YouView box numbers were also probably only at 15-25% of the current levels.

I'm not aware of any statement after the channel loss issue that gave a retrospective assessment of the proportion or total number of users affected. One could speculate from the limited details available the channel loss issue affected about 5% of all Humax boxes whereas the current issue might actually only be affecting about 1% of Humax boxes. However, given the significantly larger number of Humax YouView boxes supplied to date compared to back in late 2012 the current issue is likely to be affecting a similar numbers of boxes if not more than that early issue. Given there is a significant lack of data to base such figures on it is of course very possible this is either an over or under estimate of the true scale of the problem. As such it is very difficult to put any degree of confidence on the likely number of affected boxes and whether it is on the order of 1000 (about 0.1%), 10000 (about 1%) or (much) higher.

The long/double boot issue and BFIS although also significant had significantly less impact given that one could be worked around (or endured for the time it existed) and the other was thankfully very rare (although of course very serious if you were unlucky enough to experience it).

Overall against these previous significant issues (all dating back to late 2012/early 2013) this current issue rates as at least the equal most significant and widespread crippling issue the YouView system has experienced. In these previous cases it has generally taken a month of so to isolate the issue and a further month or so to develop, test and then deploy the fix (although as seen in the BFIS issue it can take longer).

No doubt the Christmas period both increases the spotlight on this issue whilst impacting on YouView's ability to speedily pin it down and work through to a deployed fix.

Optimistically one could hope YouView's past experience (e.g. the criticism they received when they did ultimately try to keep the customers updated on progress on tracking down the channel loss issue and fix deployment) and established mode of operation are what is resulting in almost no significant information on progress being yet made publicly available, but that they have privately made significant progress that they will accelerate to the point of an announcement in early January followed by either a general update with fix or a targeted update (via a download or failing that a download for a locked rolled back software version to mitigate the issue whilst further work on a fix continues).

My understanding is YouView are operational tomorrow although they will no doubt be on a skeleton staff as are many places between Christmas and New Year. As such whilst we may hope to hear from YouView staff I doubt we will hear anything definitive about the time scale for a fix roll out until the new year.

In the absence of any clear announcement in the very early new year that confirms a fix exists and the schedule for its roll out (with it potentially being made available as an early test download for those that wish to get it most quickly) then those affected really do need to (belatedly) be given more clear information so they can better understand why they continue to have crippled boxes and no offer of a roll back/downgrade to work around the current issue (even if they then temporarily lose the newest functionality of the latest updates in order to regain a stable system).

Here's looking forward to a new year's resolution from YouView to resolve this issue promptly now and provide a positive start to the next year of development :)
    In addition to recording problem my pause function doesn't pause now. It seems to pause but on restart it starts a present time
    Keith1 said:

Given this problem is continuing to run and we still have no announced progress I have taken a further look back over the various threads that relate to this issue. Whilst this topic remains the main thread covering this issue there are several threads where it is covered and it is also generating a long thread on the BT forum:

• The broad issue is some recordings only play for 1-3 minutes but if played again will often play through completely. Some recordings however will only play for about 3 minutes even after trying further times. The issue can be intermittent (i.e. may not affect all recordings and/or may even come and go from day to day/week to week). [The issue is included as item 37 in the consolidated list of bugs and issues]
    • The Humax boxes specific YouView software update version 20.9.0 began rolling out on 23/10/2014 (see the consolidated list of updates and changes for some details).
    • The earliest reports of this recording/playback issue date back to 29/10/2014.
    • Some users have reported that whilst this problem started after 29/10/2014 they have recordings that pre-date that point in time which also now exhibit this issue (see for example Paulo's report here)
    • Affected users all report they are using a Humax YouView box (running the 20.9.0 software) but spread across the T1xxx and T2xxx boxes and retail and BT customers.
    • No Huawei TalkTalk boxes are affected and in particular a user (Stevieboy) with both box types is only seeing the issue on the Humax box.
    • benwiddowson has reported he has a BT supplied T2100 and a retail BT T2110, the T2100 has the issue but the T2110 does not. Apart from the supply route these 2 models are believed to be identical and in this case are in the same end user environment yet one is exhibiting the problem and the other is not.
    • There are on the order of 1 million Humax YouView boxes of which over 90% were supplied via BT. The majority of these boxes are the T1000 model.
    • The issue has been reported for T1000, T2000 and T2100 boxes and is presumed to affect all the Humax models (T1000, T1010, T2000, T2100, T2110).
    • The issue whilst clearly existing is not fully communicated to all the support channels which only adds to the frustration (e.g. BT support operatives not all aware).
    • The current advice is to try playing the item a second time, try an 8 second reset/restart, try a retune or failing all of those try a maintenance mode reset (preferably option 4 that keeps the recordings). Some users have reported such actions clearing the issue although others have also reported the problem then recurring at some point later.
    • YouView have indicated the problem is affecting a very small proportion of users but without any specific quantification of likely numbers of people/boxes affected.
    • Across the reports and me toos on the YouView forum plus the posts on the BT forum, to date the number of reported incidences appears to be on the order of 120 boxes. It is however rather difficult to assess how this might scale up across the entire Humax YouView box user base.
    Although there are no official details from YouView as to the (suspected) cause of this issue, given the timing of the start of the issue (soon after the rollout of the 20.9.0 software began), the nature of the issue (3 minute issue rather than at arbitrary points in a recording) and the fact it is affecting several Humax YouView box models, the prevailing consensus on the forum is this is a software (related) issue. The fact this does not happen to all recordings for those affected and is not affecting all users suggests there are likely to be several factors in play which when combined result in the issue for specific recordings on specific boxes. Some have speculated it could be a hardware issue (or even a signal strength issue) although that seems less likely given the coincident timing, although perhaps there could be a hardware or signal element that combines with a primary software issue for those affected.

• they could surely add a simple device management settings page option to allow/deny automatic updating combined with a suitable if statement around the relevant code to enable/disable the nightly automatic update checks
    • they could provide a previous version of this software via download to USB pen disk with this option enabled by default to allow such users to revert their boxes
    • cannot simply rollback/downgrade all users since previous software version will not provide the necessary functionality for the BBC connected red button, Netflix and Connect TV channels
    • YouView will be in a software freeze period over December/Christmas and also with low staff levels available
    • going forward they should introduce the user option of denying auto updating even if they strongly discourage its use (since it could lead to other problems or confusion when someone enables it and forgets this and then does not get necessary fixes or updates that could mean they experience different issues)
    • (if it does not already exist and is simply not being used) they should also have in place (should it ever be needed now or in the future) a robust means to offer a download for a downgrade to mitigate such an issue in the future and utilise it if they cannot fix a serious issue such as this within a reasonable time frame
    Looking back at the 3 most significant bugs/issues suffered (prior to this issue) since the YouView launch in summer 2012 we have:
    • channel loss issue (item 1 in the consolidated list of bugs and issue): only affected Humax boxes and only some users dependent on transmitter conditions; took about a month to pin down the issue and further month to develop, test and deploy the fix (with a short period before that where affected customers could receive the fix on a USB pen disk and then via a download). At the time this issue was a major crippling problem for those affected and understandably caused a lot of frustration.
    • long/double boot issue (item 11 in the consolidated list of bugs and issues): this affected all Humax boxes on startup from completely off or high eco standby. As such it primarily affected high eco mode users and could be worked around by putting the box in low eco mode. The issue was inconvenient but not overly serious and was resolved in 2 months.
    • BFIS (item 12 in the consolidated list of bugs and issues) - whilst boot fail, invalid signature is a valid report of a failing box in this instance it was some sort of software issue resulting in this unrecoverable state for Humax boxes. It affected very few people but was terminal where it happened. It took longer to resolve but was closed out within 4 months.
    In particular in the case of the channel loss problem YouView were able to capture streams for boxes in affected areas to use for testing (but this did not initially reproduce the problem in the YouView lab but they were subsequently able to reproduce the issue in the Humax lab and then the YouView lab) and also setup test boxes in such affected areas running additional diagnostic software.

Overall it took YouView about a month to isolate the issue and a further month to work through a fix and get it deployed. This was an issue early in the life of the YouView product and was reported by about half as many people as the current issue (in the 2 month period it was a live issue). At that time the YouView forum had a little over 1000 members compared to the over 6500 currently and the Humax YouView box numbers were also probably only at 15-25% of the current levels.

I'm not aware of any statement after the channel loss issue that gave a retrospective assessment of the proportion or total number of users affected. One could speculate from the limited details available the channel loss issue affected about 5% of all Humax boxes whereas the current issue might actually only be affecting about 1% of Humax boxes. However, given the significantly larger number of Humax YouView boxes supplied to date compared to back in late 2012 the current issue is likely to be affecting a similar numbers of boxes if not more than that early issue. Given there is a significant lack of data to base such figures on it is of course very possible this is either an over or under estimate of the true scale of the problem. As such it is very difficult to put any degree of confidence on the likely number of affected boxes and whether it is on the order of 1000 (about 0.1%), 10000 (about 1%) or (much) higher.

The long/double boot issue and BFIS although also significant had significantly less impact given that one could be worked around (or endured for the time it existed) and the other was thankfully very rare (although of course very serious if you were unlucky enough to experience it).

Overall against these previous significant issues (all dating back to late 2012/early 2013) this current issue rates as at least the equal most significant and widespread crippling issue the YouView system has experienced. In these previous cases it has generally taken a month of so to isolate the issue and a further month or so to develop, test and then deploy the fix (although as seen in the BFIS issue it can take longer).

No doubt the Christmas period both increases the spotlight on this issue whilst impacting on YouView's ability to speedily pin it down and work through to a deployed fix.

Optimistically one could hope YouView's past experience (e.g. the criticism they received when they did ultimately try to keep the customers updated on progress on tracking down the channel loss issue and fix deployment) and established mode of operation are what is resulting in almost no significant information on progress being yet made publicly available, but that they have privately made significant progress that they will accelerate to the point of an announcement in early January followed by either a general update with fix or a targeted update (via a download or failing that a download for a locked rolled back software version to mitigate the issue whilst further work on a fix continues).

My understanding is YouView are operational tomorrow although they will no doubt be on a skeleton staff as are many places between Christmas and New Year. As such whilst we may hope to hear from YouView staff I doubt we will hear anything definitive about the time scale for a fix roll out until the new year.

In the absence of any clear announcement in the very early new year that confirms a fix exists and the schedule for its roll out (with it potentially being made available as an early test download for those that wish to get it most quickly) then those affected really do need to (belatedly) be given more clear information so they can better understand why they continue to have crippled boxes and no offer of a roll back/downgrade to work around the current issue (even if they then temporarily lose the newest functionality of the latest updates in order to regain a stable system).

Here's looking forward to a new year's resolution from YouView to resolve this issue promptly now and provide a positive start to the next year of development :)
    Interesting. But if it wasn't really recording, but only thought it was, it wouldn't have any choice but to restart from time now (unless it chose to blow up horribly, of course, which at least it seems not to).

I think you have found another symptom of the 'three minute recording' problem, rather than any separate issue, but this may well be another piece of the jigsaw puzzle for the YouView team trying to solve this, and so a very valuable observation.
    Keith1 said:

A similar problem to the 3 minute recording has occurred on ITV Player where it skips to the end of the program at random moments beginning to sound like disk problem ?
    Keith1 said:

The players are streams, so I don't think the disk gets involved with these. Or if it does, you'd think YouView could leverage this to overcome the buffering problems we see reported,

Have you given your box the eight-second salute, or the Maintenance Mode options that preserve your recordings?

It might be worth trying these, in ascending order of severity, in case you do have something besides the three-minute problem, a something that these options might help with?
  • davebbdavebb Member Posts: 9
    edited 10 January 2015, 5:17PM
    Keith1 said:

Hi I had the hard drive go and I then fitted a 2TB that was made for 24/7 video data and it is working very well got the drive from novatech
    Keith1 said:

Have done the 8 second reset twice and the longer switch off power reset twice with no effect the on demand stream seems to skip over parts of the stream but not at the same spot every time
    Keith1 said:

Reset my my BT Home Hub last night and pause problem seems to have disappeared and recording is now working again but still skips occasionally, runs fine if you rewind and play again!!! Problem with On Demand player skipping to end of playback still apparent after Hub reset.
  • Colin7Colin7 Member Posts: 1
    edited 12 January 2015, 8:41PM
    Looks like I'm joining the non-working BT customer list. Playback of recordings stops initially after 1 minute but plays to end at 2nd attempt. Pause and rewind totally up the left. Seems I'm not in a select list but a wide disgruntled customer base. Am only 2-3 weeks into BTTV service, not a good start and not particularly pleased to note this is a long running problem.
  • roger1roger1 Member Posts: 69
    edited 12 January 2015, 10:37PM
    I have been successfully recording using the software since 23/10.
    Today however a BBC1HD recording of Only Connect failed at 1min 58sec. I recorded two programs this evening, separated by half an hour. The second program appears to have recorded correctly.
  • Jacqueline StewartJacqueline Stewart Member Posts: 1
    edited 13 January 2015, 8:08AM

Been having this same problem for a few weeks now since the update. Have tried full reset losing all recordings and this does nothing at all to fix the issues. Driving me crazy when it keeps trying to re-record a part recording at a later time, that cancels another recording. Cant pause tv either or it randomly catches up losing the paused part. Have reverted to using my TiVo box for recording, very frustrating considering I paid £200 for this box nearly 2 years ago. This is the 4th time in the 2 years an update has caused disastrous problems. Why are youview implementing useless updates turning our box into freeview with a wasted hard drive? In my opinion they have been looking into this issue for far too long with no real result.

• jim joejim joe Member Posts: 2
    edited 13 January 2015, 12:19AM
    I too have to join this band wagon.......but the problem has on shown it's ugly head in the past five days......and the problem with progs finishing after a couple of mins then running full term on the second, third, and fourth time has started in the past two days......It doesn't seem to matter which channel, or what time, series, or single recording, 50% aprox of free space on HHD
    I got the Humax Youview DTRT1000 box to replace the BT Vision box when it was superseded, but was told i would be getting the newer smaller Humax box.
    last software update 27 nov 2014
    Manufacturer software 20.9.0
    Component software 2.8.18
    Platfor config 1234
    ISP config 220

So tell me this, why has the problem only just started, and when is there likely to be a fix, or should I be looking at getting the box replaced, or would I do better looking at another supplier!??
  • Jane Frewer2Jane Frewer2 Member Posts: 5
    edited 29 January 2017, 8:41PM
    I reported this problem two months ago (see earlier posts on this thread). Then the situation seemed to improve, but then over Christmas it came back. It hasn't done it since about Boxing Day, but now I seem to have a different issue which I wonder is connected to this problem or not. When watching a recording, our box makes a short, high pitched noise and then within 30 seconds, the picture freezes, then goes blank and the box is just totally frozen and we have to press the button on the front for several seconds to 'reboot' it and restart it. When it does restart, it shows the recording we were watching as Not Watched, and we have to find where we were in the programme, but can then watch the rest without issue. It's done this 3 times in a week - is anyone else experiencing this problem? As I say, I don't know if it's linked to the recording for a few minutes problem, or whether this is an entirely separate problem. Either way, I don't currently have much confidence in the YouView box!