Scheduled recording only recording 3 mins then stops.

Comments

• jim joejim joe Member Posts: 2
    edited 13 January 2015, 11:26AM

I reported this problem two months ago (see earlier posts on this thread). Then the situation seemed to improve, but then over Christmas it came back. It hasn't done it since about Boxing Day, but now I seem to have a different issue which I wonder is connected to this problem or not. When watching a recording, our box makes a short, high pitched noise and then within 30 seconds, the picture freezes, then goes blank and the box is just totally frozen and we have to press the button on the front for several seconds to 'reboot' it and restart it. When it does restart, it shows the recording we were watching as Not Watched, and we have to find where we were in the programme, but can then watch the rest without issue. It's done this 3 times in a week - is anyone else experiencing this problem? As I say, I don't know if it's linked to the recording for a few minutes problem, or whether this is an entirely separate problem. Either way, I don't currently have much confidence in the YouView box!

Jane, I too have encountered this problem, the box totally freezes and has to be switched off at the back to regain control, it has happened two or three time so far among the other issues.
  • StevieboyStevieboy Member Posts: 51
    edited 13 January 2015, 11:52AM

I reported this problem two months ago (see earlier posts on this thread). Then the situation seemed to improve, but then over Christmas it came back. It hasn't done it since about Boxing Day, but now I seem to have a different issue which I wonder is connected to this problem or not. When watching a recording, our box makes a short, high pitched noise and then within 30 seconds, the picture freezes, then goes blank and the box is just totally frozen and we have to press the button on the front for several seconds to 'reboot' it and restart it. When it does restart, it shows the recording we were watching as Not Watched, and we have to find where we were in the programme, but can then watch the rest without issue. It's done this 3 times in a week - is anyone else experiencing this problem? As I say, I don't know if it's linked to the recording for a few minutes problem, or whether this is an entirely separate problem. Either way, I don't currently have much confidence in the YouView box!

Yes i have been seeing this too. Only seems to happen when watching a recording. I don't see it when watching live tv or On demand. This made me think it was a failing HDD but perhaps it's not.
  • Jane Frewer2Jane Frewer2 Member Posts: 5
    edited 13 January 2015, 12:02PM

Yes, I was concerned it could mean a failing HDD and it has only happened to me when watching a recording, and seems to reset fine - just annoying when it happens. No idea if it's linked to the Recording for 3 mins problem but perhaps if other people are having both issues, it might be?
  • StevieboyStevieboy Member Posts: 51
    edited 29 January 2017, 9:41PM
    Yesterday I was watching a recording and approx 18 mins in i got the blank screen mentioned before. As i looked at the screen i saw a brief message saying that the youview box had lost connection to the net and i should check my router etc. The remote stops responding and boom, the box is gone.
    Looking at the router it did seem that there was an issue with the internet.
    Once restored I did a soft reboot of the hummy and it was OK.
    Could losing a connection to the net/router cause the box to crash?
  • Roger4Roger4 Member Posts: 1
    edited 14 January 2015, 12:38PM
    Me too...

Mine only started 3-4 days ago. I've had both problems with recordings stopping after 52s-6min and recording replays stoping after a couple of mins.  Yesterday it happened to 4 out of 5 recordings. 

I don't think it's acceptable that it's been over two weeks since the last update on this issue from Youview,.
  • htht Member Posts: 1
    edited 14 January 2015, 12:39PM
    Roger4 said:

Me too...

Mine only started 3-4 days ago. I've had both problems with recordings stopping after 52s-6min and recording replays stoping after a couple of mins.  Yesterday it happened to 4 out of 5 recordings. 

I don't think it's acceptable that it's been over two weeks since the last update on this issue from Youview,.

This problem started for us 3-4 days ago after a software update (we're on BT). The update has also made made moving around in a recording (or 'live' programme) dangerous in that it can stop the recording.  Also introduced: if you start to watch a programme while it is still recording, it stops recording the moment you start to watch. Tried the maintenance reset (keep recordings) but now we can't seem to watch 3rd party catchup TV (tried watching an ITV programme via ITV because the recording had failed) via the guide and that crashed the youview box.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 7 August 2017, 12:17AM
    Hi everyone,

I would like to let everyone know that working on a fix for this issue is still our highest priority. We understand how frustrating it is for those affected to continue to experience issues with incomplete recording and playing them back. For some the suggested steps already mentioned have helped: attempting a re-tune of your box to a different transmitter, attempting to playback a failed recording a second time if it stops, or attempting to do a factory reset (keep recordings) through Maintenance Mode. For some these steps have not stopped the issue, or has only stopped the issue from appearing for a short period of time. We are committed to ensuring a complete fix will be implemented for these two issues going forward.

Our test and engineering teams have made progress with narrowing down the cause of the problem, and will look to work on a fix as soon as possible. We will continue to provide updates on the status of this when more information is available until a fix is made available.

Thanks,

Phil
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi everyone,

I would like to let everyone know that working on a fix for this issue is still our highest priority. We understand how frustrating it is for those affected to continue to experience issues with incomplete recording and playing them back. For some the suggested steps already mentioned have helped: attempting a re-tune of your box to a different transmitter, attempting to playback a failed recording a second time if it stops, or attempting to do a factory reset (keep recordings) through Maintenance Mode. For some these steps have not stopped the issue, or has only stopped the issue from appearing for a short period of time. We are committed to ensuring a complete fix will be implemented for these two issues going forward.

Our test and engineering teams have made progress with narrowing down the cause of the problem, and will look to work on a fix as soon as possible. We will continue to provide updates on the status of this when more information is available until a fix is made available.

Thanks,

Phil

Nice one, Phil. I have been fortunate enough not to have been touched by this issue recently, but as someone who enjoys the YouView product very much I can feel the frustration of those for whom this is so seriously flawed at the moment. I wish continuing good luck to you and your colleagues in finding a solution, I do hope that the impact of this does not irreparably damage the reputation of the platform going forwards.
  • Roy FellowsRoy Fellows Member Posts: 1
    edited 16 January 2015, 12:04AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Phil

Some of my recordings claim they have finished part way through when playing them, re-starting them usually works the second time.

Also getting the partial recording of programmes with 2-3 minute length. Checking in the menus while the recording is in progress, it appears ok. But after the recording has finished, the recorded length is 2 minutes. This is happening far to often.

I have performed the maintenance mode reset and keep recordings, does not appear to have fixed anything.
  • KK Member Posts: 6
    edited 16 January 2015, 12:10AM
    Stevieboy said:

the whole issue is very interesting.... after pretty much every scheduled recording failing, mine has been fine for approx. 3 weeks.
    It is an issue that only seems to effect the Humax boxes though. I run the Huawei box on Youview as well and all the scheduled recordings worked fine. 

HUMAX dont have the (Latest!)-Version of the Software ,HUAWEI get
    it 1st! though TALKTALK(Beta/Trial's)-Group which all TALKTALK Customers can be JOIN!.The Latest Version is WORSE! ! than Currant Version and also this since NETFLIX App was added! now HUAWEI is
    now virtualy UN-USEABLE! ,thats why Ive started to use a HUMAX instead.
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Member Posts: 296
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:25PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Phil

I've been reading this thread with interest over the past few months and have on may occasion though I'm glad I've not had this problem. But then over the last 5 days or so it has now started to happen to me. Very frustrating.
    My observations:
    Occurs when the box is coming out of standby to record a series linked item.
    Happens on particular programmes / channels (The Middle, Comedy Central and The Glades, Alibi) not seen an instance where it failed to record a DTT channel, yet.
    edited 16 January 2015, 1:34AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi Hilary,

I appreciate this is a frustrating issue, the test team have been working on this as a priority to establish the cause. With the help of software engineers this will continue so a fix can be implemented as soon as possible. At this moment this is continuing to take place and there is no confirmed date.

There are a number of suggestions in this discussion which have worked for some viewers experiencing this problem. As soon as I have more information on this issue I will make sure to update on here.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil(At YouView) My HUAWEI(TalkTalk)Box is currantly totaly UN-Useable! ! ,Since the NETFLIX-App and NEW! Software-UPDATE was Added the
    Version of Software is a NEW'er! Version than Currant 20. Version and is even WORSE! ! than Currant(20. )Version.

Due to HUAWEI been totaly UN-USEABLE/UN-STABLE! ! ,I got a
    HUMAX DTR-T1000 which OK! before the (Software-UPDATE 20. )
    but now its ,Sometimes only RECORDING 2!-Mins of some Programes.

LIVE!-TV pause Un-Pause's ITSELF! after a short-time ,then when pressing PLAY! it JUMPS! to the END and have keep RE-Winding to
    point were I LAST! Paused.
  • RobBellRobBell Member Posts: 2
    edited 16 January 2015, 2:59AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Phil

Just wanted to add myself to the list of people with this problem - started 2 nights ago.
    edited 16 January 2015, 4:47AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Phil

This 2-3 Min REC issue is Getting WORSE! ! by the day and becoming so FUSSTATING!.

Channel4 News 15th Jan 4+1 REC for 3-mins

ITV1 Birds-of-Feather 15th Jan REC for 1 Min then it tryed to REC again later on ITV1+1 again  REC this time for only 3 Min.

Emmerdale ITV1+1 8PM it REC for the FULL! 30-min ,but Part-2! at 9PM only REC for 3-Min.
    edited 16 January 2015, 12:50PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Phil

This Mornings Recordings:
    Sunrise SKY-News 7AM 4-Mins
    Sunrise SKY-News  7:30Am 30-Mins(Full! REC)
    Sunrise SKY-News 8AM  8-Mins
    Sunrise SKY-News 8:30AM 30-Mins(Full! REC)
  • Louise LaughlanLouise Laughlan Member Posts: 1
    edited 16 January 2015, 10:48PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Phil

Seriously what is going on here??? This is completely incompetent!!! New recordings only recording 3mins, recordings I have previously watched in full are now only playing back for 3 mins, itvplayer programmes only play for 3 mins then go to the next ad break!! Why am I paying for this rubbish?!??
  • MaximMaxim Member Posts: 2
    edited 31 January 2015, 3:08PM
    It's been really story/windy here - could be related to the bug? Our box (new at Christmas) started with this issue yesterday, recording 1 or 2 minute parts then ending. sometimes it's possible to replay the recording- sometimes not. Noticed that if it fails after a minute or 2 and you try to watch the same program live instead - and then try to rewind live tv, it still thinks it's recording and jumps back to the 2 minute chunk which originally failed. Tried a retune - hopefully it'll work - GF is pissed with it! screaming at TV
  • LauraMellorLauraMellor Member Posts: 1
    edited 26 January 2015, 12:40PM
    I'm another with this issue. I got my box less than 3 weeks ago but have only had this problem the last day. I am not a BT customer though.

I have had problems with these recordings
    Yesterday
    Channel 4, Location Location Location at 8pm. 2mins
    BBC2HD, Super Rich and Us at 9pm. 4mins
    Today
    C5+1, Celebrity Big Brother, 10pm.

Any shows set to record whilst I've been out have recorded. These ones I've been watching tv or recordings at the same time so it's like I'm interrupting the recording.
  • costas georgioucostas georgiou Member Posts: 5
    edited 17 January 2015, 7:21PM

I'm another with this issue. I got my box less than 3 weeks ago but have only had this problem the last day. I am not a BT customer though.

I have had problems with these recordings
    Yesterday
    Channel 4, Location Location Location at 8pm. 2mins
    BBC2HD, Super Rich and Us at 9pm. 4mins
    Today
    C5+1, Celebrity Big Brother, 10pm.

Any shows set to record whilst I've been out have recorded. These ones I've been watching tv or recordings at the same time so it's like I'm interrupting the recording.

It seems to me that that this sorry saga has been dragging on way too long now! Come on youview, crack on and get it sorted for goodness sake! What's left of your reputation depends on it! Get your IT people to work harder and get it fixed, you've had long enough now! Or failing that, GIVE US A SOFTWARE ROLLBACK OPTION! That way you give us the option to get this sorted ourselves and at least look like you are actually trying to help!
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Whilst I remain sceptical/open-minded (depending on your point of view) about the software update having caused this issue, I wonder whether YouView have managed to capture some boxes displaying this issue and tried a software rollback? That would certainly provide some empirical base to the hysteria otherwise surrounding this issue. Or is that too far-fetched a scenario to hope for?
  • andy1andy1 Member Posts: 1
    edited 18 January 2015, 2:58PM
    Hi
    I have this problem over Christmas and thought it was a hardware fault . I bought the box from Currys and as I could not find the receipt to take it back. So bought another one as needed to record a lot of stuff and deal with the first recorder later. Now the second recorder has same problems mentioned in this post . Surely we have a Lemon product case . What is a reasonable time to wait to get 2 non functioning recorders dealt with
    Andy
  • Peter JacksonPeter Jackson Member Posts: 62
    edited 8 May 2017, 8:26PM
    So finally, having escaped this issue for the last few months the gremlins have caught up with me. The last leg channel 4 Friday night. 3 minutes in and the recording stops but can restart and play in full.

So, anyone have any idea where we stand legally on this. I am a retail purchaser and the device is probably now about 12 months old. It's never really worked properly and I should have taken it back to curries originally, but decided to stick with it. The sale of goods act seems To require that when something doesn't work you take it back reasonably quickly. However, I don't think it anticipates the idea that the manufacturer would update the product and ruin it. Worst of all they do not give us a choice, or the ability to fall back to a working version of the software. It strikes me it's only a short time before I have to face the pain of failed recordings again. I certainly do not want to start talking to youview support again life is too short. The only thing worse is try to talk to BT customer service.
  • Mark MccamleyMark Mccamley Member Posts: 59
    edited 19 October 2015, 7:16PM

So finally, having escaped this issue for the last few months the gremlins have caught up with me. The last leg channel 4 Friday night. 3 minutes in and the recording stops but can restart and play in full.

So, anyone have any idea where we stand legally on this. I am a retail purchaser and the device is probably now about 12 months old. It's never really worked properly and I should have taken it back to curries originally, but decided to stick with it. The sale of goods act seems To require that when something doesn't work you take it back reasonably quickly. However, I don't think it anticipates the idea that the manufacturer would update the product and ruin it. Worst of all they do not give us a choice, or the ability to fall back to a working version of the software. It strikes me it's only a short time before I have to face the pain of failed recordings again. I certainly do not want to start talking to youview support again life is too short. The only thing worse is try to talk to BT customer service.

Curries can be a bit funny about any rtn after 28 days !!
    But if you take it back with your reciept and also a copy of this thread and a Bt thread showing its faulty you can put the ball in there court and insist they fix it within a reasonable time ie 7 days. Exchange it for one that works or refund it.
    You will have to be very insistent. You will probably get no where very far even after talking to a manager. They will then give you there customer complaints ho number.
    Call them with same and use there face book page.
    Eventually if you can be bothered they will give in and do something.
    Good luck and let everyone know how you get on.
  • Ann3Ann3 Member Posts: 6
    edited 18 January 2015, 11:46PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi Hilary,

I appreciate this is a frustrating issue, the test team have been working on this as a priority to establish the cause. With the help of software engineers this will continue so a fix can be implemented as soon as possible. At this moment this is continuing to take place and there is no confirmed date.

There are a number of suggestions in this discussion which have worked for some viewers experiencing this problem. As soon as I have more information on this issue I will make sure to update on here.

Thanks,

Phil

There may be an answer and hope out there!

Further to my post above (11/01/15), my service seems to have recovered!  Was not going to add this note until I was sure, but thought it might be worth doing, even in the interim.  I had no success for the two days following my post, but then I seemed to notice an improvement on day 3, i.e. a couple of programmes recorded successfully.  Days 4-7 I was away from home, but during that time all recordings were successful, a couple of which overlapped.  Today (Day 8) all seems fine too.  Keeping fingers crossed that it wasn't just because I had TV on all of the time!  Will post again if further problems, or to confirm that the service improvements have continued. 
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    I am not a legal beagle but I believe that in the eyes of the law, when you pay the sort of money you have paid for your boxes, you can expect a 'reasonable' useful life for the product which, I believe would be greater than 1 year. The box can be proven to be not capable of reliably doing what it was sold to do. I think you have a cast iron case. Companies will often wriggle and squirm until they are threatened with legal action. So even though I think the law would be on your side, you may have to steel yourself for blood-letting if you decide you wish to exercise your rights.
    You could, of course take a simpler course. Outline your case clearly in writing, and have it delivered registered to their head office, requesting a reply, in writing, within 2 weeks. If the reply is not satisfactory, reply saying so and why, again requesting a reply in two weeks. If that reply is again unsatisfactory immediately make a small claim. Chances are they will then cough up a refund, as you have clear evidence of their lack of willingness to rectify the problem. If it did go to the court, you'd probably win - there is ample evidence supporting the problems you are dealing with, and you will have made reasonable attempts to get them to address the problem to no effect.
    You would, however, need to prove where & when you purchased the boxes.
    Well, I have found the box it came in, but the receipt is proving a bit of a challenge. I also have to plan my alternative. I am considering going back to XBMC (KODI) as I have a box running that, but previously found the drivers for the HD tuner I was using unstable. Since that's some time ago it might be better now, or may try the RPi as it has CEC handling that YOuView never really seems to cope with well.
  • costas georgioucostas georgiou Member Posts: 5
    edited 20 January 2015, 3:30PM
    So, assuming that the software is to blame here, and that looks to be the case, what if you did a factory reset but first made sure that the Ethernet connection was disconnected so that it could not update itself with the new software? Or could it still get the new software from the coaxial roof aerial connection anyway?
    The update happens and in doing so the flash memory holding the new software is updated. You  encounter the issues and there is no way (currently) to revert to the old software. When you do the factory reset it does not revert back to the first software that the machine was shipped with. Now believe it or not you would not want that either, because there are have been quite a few updates that fixed even more basic stuff. 

What is needed is for YouView to accept their responsibility and give us the chance to revert to the previous release. Of course the they do not want to do this because it may mean that a significant number of users are not getting access to new functionality that is important to their stakeholders, an update to BBC connected red button and iPlayer for example. We all know that we are just users and not worth anything when compared to the "stakeholders".  I suspect that Youview could do this is in fashion whereby they could see which users are on which release and they would then be able to see how many users are no upgrading due to issues. There would also of course be a number of users who through ignorance and sheer bloody mindedness would not update and this would mean that YouView would have to invest in campaigns to get users to move.  Some (most given this kind of experience and it isn't the first) would also not upgrade straight away they would hold off and allow others to test the release first. Yes I know fancy that someone actually testing.  

I have suggested to YouView that there are actually people in the community who would probably be happy to do some testing for them rather than foisting these under tested releases on us. That of course is not something that they are happy to do. Perhaps that would be seen as an admission of how poor their testing really is.  Their testing is probably quite thorough by most standards, but they have an overly complex model brought on by a design required to support all these stakeholders.
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,022 ✭✭
     The main concern I have is less that a fault appears to have got thru' Youview's testing stage but rather that the investigation and identification of the root cause(s) has not occurred within acceptable timeframes.  
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    zulu17 said:

The main concern I have is less that a fault appears to have got thru' Youview's testing stage but rather that the investigation and identification of the root cause(s) has not occurred within acceptable timeframes.  

Quite. Where's Harry Tuttle when you need him? Though I suspect the state of the YouView software is even more unstructured that what Harry does battle with.... :-(
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one