Scheduled recording only recording 3 mins then stops.

Comments

• Alex GrantAlex Grant Member Posts: 1
    edited 21 January 2015, 7:14PM
    zulu17 said:

There are a few (currently 3 posters) on the BT forum that appear to have reported similar issue 

thread is
    https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/youview-recordings-stopping-after-2-minutes/td-p/1404053

Is everyone sure that the recordings have ended prematurely? I have a problem which looks just like this, but in fact the recordings are complete, although playback ends prematurely (after about 1 to 3 minutes) with a message that playback of the recording has ended, and the time bar showing the full time (e.g. 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc) has elapsed. If I restart the recordings from just after where they stop on playback, they play normally to their true end. I have a related problem with rewinding and pausing live TV. I can only rewind a couple of minutes, or, if I manage to rewind further, box only plays back a couple of minutes then jumps to real time again. Similar effect on pausing live TV - when I continue after pausing, plays back only a couple of minutes then jumps to real time once more. Not good.
  • DavidSim2DavidSim2 Member Posts: 1
    edited 21 January 2015, 7:21PM
    zulu17 said:

There are a few (currently 3 posters) on the BT forum that appear to have reported similar issue 

thread is
    https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/youview-recordings-stopping-after-2-minutes/td-p/1404053

There's two different problems. I've had both (incomplete recording and stopping in playback). I can confirm that in the case of the former it definitely seems to have finished prematurely - or at least there's no way of accessing the rest. 

At the moment my recordings are working fine so it's obviously triggered by something. I've  cancelled my BT TV sub - don't think it's related... ;)
  • Peter JacksonPeter Jackson Member Posts: 62
    edited 21 January 2015, 8:24PM
    zulu17 said:

The main concern I have is less that a fault appears to have got thru' Youview's testing stage but rather that the investigation and identification of the root cause(s) has not occurred within acceptable timeframes.  

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."
  • Ann3Ann3 Member Posts: 6
    edited 21 January 2015, 11:55PM
    zulu17 said:

thread is

Definitely two different problems - I too had both (and recorded my problem on this blog under separate note, with details of my Humax box and service).  I also complained separately to BT who supply my internet TV.  I had no contact from either Humax or BT but interestingly, the problem has now disappeared!  No rhyme or reason that I can work out!  Keeping fingers crossed it stays this way.  Also hope it is the same for everyone who is having problems.
  • StevieboyStevieboy Member Posts: 51
    edited 22 January 2015, 10:19AM
    zulu17 said:

thread is

It's definitely not ISP related as I am with TalkTalk and i have seen the problem with my Humax box. Sadly the problem of incomplete recordings has come back to my box after several weeks of it having gone away.
    What's different? Well the box kept crashing and i had to do a maintenance reset (internet / usb recovery keep recordings) on Tuesday. since then all recordings have failed.
    I might try a Factory reset (again) today.
    edited 29 January 2017, 9:41PM
    Sadly the problem of incomplete recordings has come back to my box after several weeks of it having gone away.
    What's different? Well the box kept crashing and i had to do a maintenance reset (internet / usb recovery keep recordings) on Tuesday. since then all recordings have failed.
    I might try a Factory reset (again) today.
    Luckily i have the TalkTalk box to fall back on. I bought the Humax because i found the Huawei box sluggish and unreliable. Oh the irony .... as it stands now the Humax is massively unrelaible and the Huawei just keeps working OK.
  • ShiralcoShiralco Member Posts: 20
    edited 22 January 2015, 5:27PM

I had heard about this recording problem, but not experienced it until about 10 days ago when about 50% of my programmes only recorded for about 2minutes.  Doing some experimenting, this still happened even though the recording play list said it was still recording for the complete duration of the programme.  Nothing has changed at my end, and the last software update says November 2014, so what has changed to cause the problem? 

I asked this question to firstly BT customer care, who said they were aware of the problem but thought it only applies to a small number of users(!!)  Humax customer care said they only supply the hardware and it was nothing to do with them(!!)  Youview customer care were far more sympathetic and asked various questions about my system, programmes that failed etc. but admitted they have no answer at the moment.  They are reluctant to roll back the software as this would affect Netflix.  So nobody has a solution, but I an sure that if they don't find one quick then there will be  a mass exodus from YouView. 

• costas georgioucostas georgiou Member Posts: 5
    edited 22 January 2015, 5:15PM
    Shiralco said:

I had heard about this recording problem, but not experienced it until about 10 days ago when about 50% of my programmes only recorded for about 2minutes.  Doing some experimenting, this still happened even though the recording play list said it was still recording for the complete duration of the programme.  Nothing has changed at my end, and the last software update says November 2014, so what has changed to cause the problem? 

I asked this question to firstly BT customer care, who said they were aware of the problem but thought it only applies to a small number of users(!!)  Humax customer care said they only supply the hardware and it was nothing to do with them(!!)  Youview customer care were far more sympathetic and asked various questions about my system, programmes that failed etc. but admitted they have no answer at the moment.  They are reluctant to roll back the software as this would affect Netflix.  So nobody has a solution, but I an sure that if they don't find one quick then there will be  a mass exodus from YouView. 

The mass exodus has already started! I'm looking for a new box/provider right now as I'm fed up with this! They have had months to get this sorted. Not impressed at all! Awful service. We are just the tip of the iceberg! Imagine how many others are suffering with this issue but are just reading our posts and not posting themselves! There must be loads!
  • Martin SmythMartin Smyth Member Posts: 1
    edited 22 January 2015, 5:27PM
    Shiralco said:

I'm also having the same problem, intermittently recording programs for just 3 mins, if this has been going on since October surely they should roll the firmware back to the previous version! Come on youview, what's the story?
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    We are just the tip of the iceberg! Imagine how many others are suffering with this issue but are just reading our posts and not posting themselves! There must be loads!
    The thing is though that there are "loads" who are not having this issue, including I suspect many out there who are totally and blissfully oblivious to the fact that it is even happening. That is just one of many factors which are doubtless contributing to the difficulties in pinning down this fiendish problem.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Hi all,

We have made some progress with our investigation of this problem and have been able to identify the issue causing the short recordings and recording playback symptoms experienced by some BT and Humax customers. We are now looking to develop a fix that eliminates the issue, we will continue to update on our progress with this. Thank you for your ongoing patience while we continue to work on a fix as a priority.

Phil
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:40PM
    Our box did it yesterday evening. A recording stopped near the beginning and there was a message saying end of recording. I re-started the programme, fast-forwarded to where it left off and it played the rest OK. The interruption was less than ten seconds. It was a bit of a nuisance, but one that we can live with until the problem is sorted out. We really like our YouView box and it would need to mis-behave a lot worse than that before we would think about getting rid of it.
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,022 ✭✭
    edited 14 December 2016, 10:35PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

We have made some progress with our investigation of this problem and have been able to identify the issue causing the short recordings and recording playback symptoms experienced by some BT and Humax customers. We are now looking to develop a fix that eliminates the issue, we will continue to update on our progress with this. Thank you for your ongoing patience while we continue to work on a fix as a priority.

Phil

Can Youview please provide more information  as to the cause  and what people can to to minimize it occuring.
    edited 22 January 2015, 8:12PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Phil

Great news that you have been able to replicate what appears to us to be a random issue, identify the cause and are working on a fix. As a QE person for a software company i know that reproducing the issue in house is often the hardest part of getting a fix out.
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Initially I too was able to fast forward past the problem and all was then OK.  Unfortunately, the problem then escalated to only a few minutes being recorded (even though there was an 'R' on the Recordings page for the complete duration of the programme) and no amount of fast forwarding would cure that.  It's great news, however, that YouView appear to have isolated the problem and let's hope for an early fix.  As Zulu17 says, though, out of interest it would be nice to know what is causing the problem.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Phil

Good news at last, Phil.

A better candidate for the blue box on the masthead than the Player reshuffle, I would have thought, instead of hiding your light under the bushel here :-)
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • Martin CMartin C Member Posts: 3
    edited 13 April 2015, 6:54PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Phil

Well please hurry up as we're losing patience with the unreliability of these boxes. This is my second and is only 3 months old and it's so frustrating when you can't just sit down, relax and watch the recording you thought you had.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM
    Shiralco said:

Initially I too was able to fast forward past the problem and all was then OK.  Unfortunately, the problem then escalated to only a few minutes being recorded (even though there was an 'R' on the Recordings page for the complete duration of the programme) and no amount of fast forwarding would cure that.  It's great news, however, that YouView appear to have isolated the problem and let's hope for an early fix.  As Zulu17 says, though, out of interest it would be nice to know what is causing the problem.

I agree that the problem needs to be sorted out soon. I wonder if recordings that have failed because of the bug will play properly after the fix?
    edited 23 January 2015, 6:23PM
    Shiralco said:

Well mine certainly won't - I deleted them in a rash moment of madness and frustration!
  • jt edsonjt edson Member Posts: 7
    edited 23 January 2015, 9:33PM
    Shiralco said:

I have had several recordings fail after 2-3minutes and unable to watch . Sunday's Foyles war failed tried to watch on ITV player but that failed after the same 2-3minutes
  • roger1roger1 Member Posts: 69
    edited 23 January 2015, 10:11PM
    Shiralco said:

I have had a small number of recording failures.

Good news for Foyles War. There seems to have been a problem with this program on ITV Player. You will be pleased to know that Sunday's episode is now available.
  • ANNANN Member Posts: 28
    edited 24 January 2015, 10:03AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Phil

let us hope the fix does not take as long as it did to find!
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Phil

Great news that things are moving in the right direction, Phil. I hope the team are able to resolve the issue fairly quickly now.

YouView must have seen all the speculation around this issue on this forum - an enigma, wrapped in a puzzle, causing a mystery. Can I suggest that the team really has to give us some information about the cause of the problem that has disrupted the viewing of so many - including myself occasionally.

If you don't it will be the equivalent of giving someone the best murder mystery in the world - letting them read it almost to the end - and then ripping the last pages out of the book before they find out whodunnit...!
  • Kevin DayKevin Day Member Posts: 1
    edited 24 January 2015, 12:09PM
    Shiralco said:

As well as the failed recordings we are also having a problem on pausing TV as we watch it. Once we have paused the TV as soon as we continue to watch it jumps through the section we paused up to the current broadcast time and won't let us rewind to see what we missed.
    edited 24 January 2015, 1:37PM
    Shiralco said:

Yes - this happened to me last night, although I have not noticed it occurring prior to that.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    Shiralco said:

I think this is the same as the three minute recordings bug.

In both cases, the box thinks it is recording, but it isn't. So on pause/rewind of live TV, all it can do is jump to Time Now, because it has no recording of the last few minutes to play to you.

Since the YouView team now know the cause of the three minute bug, if not yet the fix for it, perhaps they could confirm if my hypothesis is correct or not.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • Rich MasonRich Mason Member Posts: 2
    edited 24 January 2015, 7:03PM
    I also have all the problems outlined by others. Noticed yesterday that my Humax machine had recorded the same programme (which it had previously only managed to record 2 mins of earlier) when it was next shown. And no, I hadn't asked it too record it! It seems it knows when it's not recorded something properly and then tries to make amends by recording it at a later date! Bizarre!     
  • jondclarkejondclarke Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi - just to confirm that others are still being affected. We first noticed the "3min failure but plays on trying again" about a week ago, but from 24hrs ago, every single recording has only lasted 1min. A problem first reported in early November, affecting at least hundreds of users, is still not resolved two months later?!

I'll be advising friends not to buy You View. Shame, because until it failed, we were very happy with it.

- Jon
  • Fay SextonFay Sexton Member Posts: 3
    edited 24 January 2015, 10:18PM
    TimmyD said:

Not sure why, but at the moment, my box 'seems' to have sorted itself out.  It did a software update on the 11th and the only change I can see is its gone from platform conf 1232 to 1234.  I've read others comments saying they have the problem with 1234 so am not really sure why mine is now ok.  The only other change I can think of since then, is some programmes have ended their series so I now have less double recordings.  I'll post back if the problem reappears.

Am having the same problems, and am now missing most of the programmes I set to record because it only records between 1 and 2 minutes, then stops. It appears to still be recording but is not. I reported this to BT. Firstly they tried a repair, then when that did nothing they returned two days ago and replaced the box with a new one. The engineer who visited to carry out the so called repair stated that this is a common problem with these boxes. I believe it to be true because the new box BT replaced it with is not working properly already and it's only been 48 hours! And now I am stuck exactly the same problems, and issing most of my programmes continously. I am so disappointed with BT. I am a loyal customer of over 30 years. I am a cancer patient stuck indoors and rely on my tv and recordings hugely. It has caused me nothing but distress, and surely BT are aware there is obviously an issue with these boxes. I want to know what they will be doing to help resolve this for the customer. I had BT vision for years and never had a problem.
  • Fay SextonFay Sexton Member Posts: 3
    edited 24 January 2015, 10:24PM

Hi Sanj

Thank you for your email, here are my responses:

1. What was the Programme/Channel/Time and Date of the recordings? (is it SD or HD content?)

Sunday 16th November BBC1 HD (7.15pm), BBC2 HD (7pm) and C4 HD (8pm)

2. What is the signal strength/quality for that channel? (Settings > TV Signal & Quality > TV signal Quality (while on that channel))

All channels have 70% strength and 100% quality

3. Box Make/Model (Settings > System Information > Device Information)

Humax DTRT1000, variant 80B08500, bought from BT

4. Software versions (Settings > System Information > Software Version)

Manufacturer software: 20.9.0
    Component software: 2.8.18
    Platform: 1234
    ISP: 222

Says it was last updated on 11th November - have had this problem before and since that date

5. Are you watching the programme simultaneously when recording the programme (or is it a set recording while viewing something else)

No - on Sunday, we started watching a recording we already had on the Box (Speed with Guy Martin from 9th Nov). Human Universe then started to record on BBC2 HD whilst we were watching the recording. Then Strictly Come Dancing Results started to record too. We finished watching the recording and went to start watching Strictly, but it had only recorded 2 minutes before it said the programme had ended. We tried playing the recording again, but it only played 2 minutes, even though it said it was still recording. By this time, the programme had physically been on for 20 minutes, so we started watching it live. Speed with Guy Martin then started to record on C4 HD. When we finished watching Strictly live, we tried to start watching the recording of Speed, but that said it had only recorded 2 minutes too. We tried that recording again, but it still only had 2 minutes there. By this time, Speed had been on for 7 minutes, so we started to watch that live too. We paused it live for a couple of minutes, but when we started it again, instead of carrying on from where we stopped, it jumped to the live position and we couldn't go back, so we missed a few minutes there. When we finished watching that live, we checked the Human Universe recording, and that had only recorded 2 minutes too.

6. Does this happen consistently (and for all recordings set)? i.e. is it happening once and then you can play the full recording when going back into it- or does returning to the recording later cause the issue to re-occur?

No, it's not happening for all recordings, or consistently. Everything we recorded on Sunday only recorded 2 minutes' worth, but we recorded Strictly Come Dancing on BBC1 HD on Saturday 15th, went to watch this after it had finished recording, it played for 2 minutes, said it had come to the end of the recording, we tried again and then it was fine and we could watch the whole recording. Nothing else was being recorded that evening, or whilst we were watching the recording.

7. Is the recording complete when playback is re-attempted, or does it cut off at the 3 minute mark?

See above,  it's doing both. Sometimes it only has a few minutes recorded and that is it (this happened as above, but also to I think the 3rd or 4th episode of the Apprentice on BBC1 HD). Sometimes it has recorded the whole programme, plays a few minutes, cuts off, but then lets you watch the whole thing (this also happened to the first episode of Downton Abbey on ITV1 HD). Other times, programmes have recorded absolutely fine with no issue.

8. Is the box behaving otherwise normally (speed, responsiveness)?

Pretty much - we are getting some lag between pressing buttons on the handset to actions happening on screen, i.e. when navigating round MyView or the Guide

9. How much Hard Disk Drive space is left on the box (can be checked in 'MyView')

67% free

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Jane

Am having the same problems, and am now missing most of the programmes I set to record because it only records between 1 and 2 minutes, then stops. It appears to still be recording but is not. I reported this to BT. Firstly they tried a repair, then when that did nothing they returned two days ago and replaced the box with a new one. The engineer who visited to carry out the so called repair stated that this is a common problem with these boxes. I believe it to be true because the new box BT replaced it with is not working properly already and it's only been 48 hours! And now I am stuck exactly the same problems, and issing most of my programmes continously. I am so disappointed with BT. I am a loyal customer of over 30 years. I am a cancer patient stuck indoors and rely on my tv and recordings hugely. It has caused me nothing but distress, and surely BT are aware there is obviously an issue with these boxes. I want to know what they will be doing to help resolve this for the customer. I had BT vision for years and never had a problem. All the above questions you answered Jane, and I have still yet to see the issue resolved by BT???