Scheduled recording only recording 3 mins then stops.

Comments

• margaret halseymargaret halsey Member Posts: 4
    edited 4 February 2015, 10:58PM

Hi Sanj

Thank you for your email, here are my responses:

1. What was the Programme/Channel/Time and Date of the recordings? (is it SD or HD content?)

Sunday 16th November BBC1 HD (7.15pm), BBC2 HD (7pm) and C4 HD (8pm)

2. What is the signal strength/quality for that channel? (Settings > TV Signal & Quality > TV signal Quality (while on that channel))

All channels have 70% strength and 100% quality

3. Box Make/Model (Settings > System Information > Device Information)

Humax DTRT1000, variant 80B08500, bought from BT

4. Software versions (Settings > System Information > Software Version)

Manufacturer software: 20.9.0
    Component software: 2.8.18
    Platform: 1234
    ISP: 222

Says it was last updated on 11th November - have had this problem before and since that date

5. Are you watching the programme simultaneously when recording the programme (or is it a set recording while viewing something else)

No - on Sunday, we started watching a recording we already had on the Box (Speed with Guy Martin from 9th Nov). Human Universe then started to record on BBC2 HD whilst we were watching the recording. Then Strictly Come Dancing Results started to record too. We finished watching the recording and went to start watching Strictly, but it had only recorded 2 minutes before it said the programme had ended. We tried playing the recording again, but it only played 2 minutes, even though it said it was still recording. By this time, the programme had physically been on for 20 minutes, so we started watching it live. Speed with Guy Martin then started to record on C4 HD. When we finished watching Strictly live, we tried to start watching the recording of Speed, but that said it had only recorded 2 minutes too. We tried that recording again, but it still only had 2 minutes there. By this time, Speed had been on for 7 minutes, so we started to watch that live too. We paused it live for a couple of minutes, but when we started it again, instead of carrying on from where we stopped, it jumped to the live position and we couldn't go back, so we missed a few minutes there. When we finished watching that live, we checked the Human Universe recording, and that had only recorded 2 minutes too.

6. Does this happen consistently (and for all recordings set)? i.e. is it happening once and then you can play the full recording when going back into it- or does returning to the recording later cause the issue to re-occur?

No, it's not happening for all recordings, or consistently. Everything we recorded on Sunday only recorded 2 minutes' worth, but we recorded Strictly Come Dancing on BBC1 HD on Saturday 15th, went to watch this after it had finished recording, it played for 2 minutes, said it had come to the end of the recording, we tried again and then it was fine and we could watch the whole recording. Nothing else was being recorded that evening, or whilst we were watching the recording.

7. Is the recording complete when playback is re-attempted, or does it cut off at the 3 minute mark?

See above,  it's doing both. Sometimes it only has a few minutes recorded and that is it (this happened as above, but also to I think the 3rd or 4th episode of the Apprentice on BBC1 HD). Sometimes it has recorded the whole programme, plays a few minutes, cuts off, but then lets you watch the whole thing (this also happened to the first episode of Downton Abbey on ITV1 HD). Other times, programmes have recorded absolutely fine with no issue.

8. Is the box behaving otherwise normally (speed, responsiveness)?

Pretty much - we are getting some lag between pressing buttons on the handset to actions happening on screen, i.e. when navigating round MyView or the Guide

9. How much Hard Disk Drive space is left on the box (can be checked in 'MyView')

67% free

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Jane

Hi Fay
    It's not. BT, I bought my box from currys and have had it a yearlong no problems till just recently, I was told by Youview that they were updated next week and it should clear it, several people are having the same problems.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

Hi Sanj

1. What was the Programme/Channel/Time and Date of the recordings? (is it SD or HD content?)

2. What is the signal strength/quality for that channel? (Settings > TV Signal & Quality > TV signal Quality (while on that channel))

Says it was last updated on 11th November - have had this problem before and since that date

5. Are you watching the programme simultaneously when recording the programme (or is it a set recording while viewing something else)

No - on Sunday, we started watching a recording we already had on the Box (Speed with Guy Martin from 9th Nov). Human Universe then started to record on BBC2 HD whilst we were watching the recording. Then Strictly Come Dancing Results started to record too. We finished watching the recording and went to start watching Strictly, but it had only recorded 2 minutes before it said the programme had ended. We tried playing the recording again, but it only played 2 minutes, even though it said it was still recording. By this time, the programme had physically been on for 20 minutes, so we started watching it live. Speed with Guy Martin then started to record on C4 HD. When we finished watching Strictly live, we tried to start watching the recording of Speed, but that said it had only recorded 2 minutes too. We tried that recording again, but it still only had 2 minutes there. By this time, Speed had been on for 7 minutes, so we started to watch that live too. We paused it live for a couple of minutes, but when we started it again, instead of carrying on from where we stopped, it jumped to the live position and we couldn't go back, so we missed a few minutes there. When we finished watching that live, we checked the Human Universe recording, and that had only recorded 2 minutes too.

6. Does this happen consistently (and for all recordings set)? i.e. is it happening once and then you can play the full recording when going back into it- or does returning to the recording later cause the issue to re-occur?

No, it's not happening for all recordings, or consistently. Everything we recorded on Sunday only recorded 2 minutes' worth, but we recorded Strictly Come Dancing on BBC1 HD on Saturday 15th, went to watch this after it had finished recording, it played for 2 minutes, said it had come to the end of the recording, we tried again and then it was fine and we could watch the whole recording. Nothing else was being recorded that evening, or whilst we were watching the recording.

7. Is the recording complete when playback is re-attempted, or does it cut off at the 3 minute mark?

See above,  it's doing both. Sometimes it only has a few minutes recorded and that is it (this happened as above, but also to I think the 3rd or 4th episode of the Apprentice on BBC1 HD). Sometimes it has recorded the whole programme, plays a few minutes, cuts off, but then lets you watch the whole thing (this also happened to the first episode of Downton Abbey on ITV1 HD). Other times, programmes have recorded absolutely fine with no issue.

Pretty much - we are getting some lag between pressing buttons on the handset to actions happening on screen, i.e. when navigating round MyView or the Guide

9. How much Hard Disk Drive space is left on the box (can be checked in 'MyView')

67% free

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Jane

Hi Fay

As Margaret says, this problem goes beyond BT, and affects a whole range of Humax YouView boxes, both BT and retail, which were updated last October.

And BT can't fix it for you; only YouView could do that, though BT by bringing you a new box have tried their best.

But it seems the problem, albeit that it's an issue with the box, stays with the customer even when the box is changed, as it is something to do with the environment the box is run in; which broadcast transmitter you use, and so on.

Hopefully the fix is now imminent, but you could certainly ask BT for some financial allowance for the period when it was not working, much as Humax ought to be extending their warranty on retail boxes by the three months they have been operating unsatisfactorily.

The cross-charge to YouView should give them some further incentive, if any is needed, to ensure that there is no future repetition of this debacle.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • Fay SextonFay Sexton Member Posts: 3
    edited 25 January 2015, 1:40PM

Hi Sanj

67% free

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Jane

I am in disbelief to hear your answer! I did not buy the box, it was BT who telephoned me and pushed me to change from BT vision to BT youview. BT then sent me the box. It worked okay for 2 months then the problems started. I contacted BT as it is BT who provided the box, and BT who charges for it as part of my package! I have ALL of my services from BT; telephone AND broadband AND youview! And now there is a fault with the equipment BT provided me. Instead of resolving the issue...as is your responsibility...yet instead of doing this your reply seems to suggest that you are now avoiding any responsibility and telling me I should blame the manufacturer that BT got the boxes from!!! Outrageous! Surely if BT provided the equipment, after one of BT's employees had contacted me and pushed me to take it stating it is so good, it is now BT's responsibility to resolve the issue that as far as I am concerned BT caused. BT's customer is not responsible for BT's equipment failures, nor is the customer supposed to be responsible for resolving any issues or faults arising from the equipment BT provided? As a long term loyal customer, when BT contacted me to recommend I use this new box, I trusted BT and accepted it. Now it appears that the boxes have issues and your/BT's response is to say you will NOT be able to do anything to resolve the issue? What kind of customer service is that? Surely BT should have warned me that the youview box they were pushing me to take might have these problems? Instead BT pushed me to take it telling me how fantastic it was and now there are problems BT now tells me sorry it's not our responsibility to resolve the problem, and I'm left stuck with the problem? I have stayed a loyal BT customer for so many years because up to now I have always considered them the best and most ethical provider of service. To push this equipment on me then when there is a problem...that BT now states they know is a problem with the box they chose to provide to their customers, and then to shirk their responsibilty by stating above that 'BT can't fix it for you' and pushing the blame onto humax, when it is BT who decided to use their boxes AND recommend very strongly that their customers use these boxes to replace their existing BT Vision, is a disgrace. Surely this is not what I signed up for or should expect from my service provider? BT's operative who telephoned me to push this supposed brilliant new service onto me did NOT mention that there were existing issues with the equipment BT was strongly recommending. As a BT customer I naturally believed this equipment BT was offering me was BT equipment! And if there were any problems with it the customer would expect BT to accept responsibility for their equipent and resolve the issue? Surely that is part of the service the BT customer is led to expect from the provider? The last thing I will add is to remind BT that their customers are human beings not simply items they profit from. This customer is a cancer patient going through hell in her personal life, and the TV is something I rely on hugely to help me through my very difficult days. I am lost without it. I continuously record programmes so that I can watch them during the many hours I am stuck sitting down feeling ill. It helps me to get through these difficult times. Now that BT has recommended this equipment to me and I trusted BT and took it, I am stuck with missing all of the programmes I want to record, can only watch programmes live, cannot pause the TV at all so also am missing parts of the programmes I watch, cannot record any programmes the forward the adverts so have to watch ALL adverts, and am completely distressed with the continuous interruptions and time it takes me trying to resolve the issues. It seems that BT has changed and is now only concerned with profit and the customer is told 'TOUGH'!!! 
  • ANNANN Member Posts: 28
    edited 25 January 2015, 10:41AM
    Phil8 said:

Thanks to everyone so far for providing feedback on this issue whilst we are still investigating. If there are any new viewers experiencing this on their programme recordings please provide answers to the questions above where possible so we can continue our investigation.

We will continue to update when we have more information on this.

Phil

Failed recording this morning from Eurosport, I have other scheduled recordings whichi will more than likely fail...again, and i cannot catch up with these on player, it is about time that BT started refunding and how YV is still in business is beyond me
  • ANNANN Member Posts: 28
    edited 25 January 2015, 10:43AM
    Phil8 said:

Thanks to everyone so far for providing feedback on this issue whilst we are still investigating. If there are any new viewers experiencing this on their programme recordings please provide answers to the questions above where possible so we can continue our investigation.

Phil

Oh and answers to questions above...mine are  virtually identical to Janes..why can you not simply remote access some boxes?
    Phil8 said:

Phil

They did, apparently, it has been reported. At long last, YouView now think they know what the problem is, and one customer has apparently been told a fix will be out next week, though that seems a little precipitate to me.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM
    Phil8 said:

Phil

I suppose the best that we can hope for now is that it will be in the February Software Update.
  • Terry BarrTerry Barr Member Posts: 6
    edited 25 January 2015, 4:35PM

The update happens and in doing so the flash memory holding the new software is updated. You  encounter the issues and there is no way (currently) to revert to the old software. When you do the factory reset it does not revert back to the first software that the machine was shipped with. Now believe it or not you would not want that either, because there are have been quite a few updates that fixed even more basic stuff. 

What is needed is for YouView to accept their responsibility and give us the chance to revert to the previous release. Of course the they do not want to do this because it may mean that a significant number of users are not getting access to new functionality that is important to their stakeholders, an update to BBC connected red button and iPlayer for example. We all know that we are just users and not worth anything when compared to the "stakeholders".  I suspect that Youview could do this is in fashion whereby they could see which users are on which release and they would then be able to see how many users are no upgrading due to issues. There would also of course be a number of users who through ignorance and sheer bloody mindedness would not update and this would mean that YouView would have to invest in campaigns to get users to move.  Some (most given this kind of experience and it isn't the first) would also not upgrade straight away they would hold off and allow others to test the release first. Yes I know fancy that someone actually testing.  

I have suggested to YouView that there are actually people in the community who would probably be happy to do some testing for them rather than foisting these under tested releases on us. That of course is not something that they are happy to do. Perhaps that would be seen as an admission of how poor their testing really is.  Their testing is probably quite thorough by most standards, but they have an overly complex model brought on by a design required to support all these stakeholders.

It does look as though marketing type people are probably overruling technical people when it comes to technical decisions. 
  • Terry BarrTerry Barr Member Posts: 6
    edited 25 January 2015, 4:38PM

Hi - just to confirm that others are still being affected. We first noticed the "3min failure but plays on trying again" about a week ago, but from 24hrs ago, every single recording has only lasted 1min. A problem first reported in early November, affecting at least hundreds of users, is still not resolved two months later?!

I'll be advising friends not to buy You View. Shame, because until it failed, we were very happy with it.

- Jon

Ye, I'll be doing that too. Ashame as it is brilliant in concept, lousy in execution. The real shame of it is that the big failure is it's unreliability as a bog standard PVR. Not exactly the latest thing in technology.
  • Rich MasonRich Mason Member Posts: 2
    edited 25 January 2015, 5:11PM

Hi - just to confirm that others are still being affected. We first noticed the "3min failure but plays on trying again" about a week ago, but from 24hrs ago, every single recording has only lasted 1min. A problem first reported in early November, affecting at least hundreds of users, is still not resolved two months later?!

I'll be advising friends not to buy You View. Shame, because until it failed, we were very happy with it.

- Jon

A agree. Both my machines are still under warranty and I've advised the manufacturer (who I bought them from direct) that I'll be returning the for full refund as unfit for purpose if this is not rectified shortly. They are selling products that do not work due as advertised due to Youview being unable to sort out it's software in a proper and timely manner. I'm amazed that Hmuax and BT have let this shambles go on for so long as they will be the ones suffering financialy as people start to leave Youview products on the shelves.      

- Jon

I think there have been, and will continue to be, some uncomfortable boardroom discussions at YouView.

Though as I understand it, the software was thrown together in a tearing hurry when the launch seemed to be receding ever further into the distance, in a high level language using media technologies that have not turned out to be where the market is heading, by a small team whose leader is now enjoying life in Bangkok and the rest are similarly dispersed.

After which it was being looked after by an expensive consultancy, and the much-vaunted hundred developers that YouView were bringing in were to replace that consultancy, not to augment it.

It is possible they are not yet up to speed in and on a software infrastructure that makes spaghetti look like latticework in comparison, and we have just seen the consequences of this.

The suits are probably saying "What on earth took you so long!?!?" and the techies are replying "It's a miracle we found it this quickly, considering!!!" with plenty of opportunity for smouldering resentment on both sides.

Though my crystal ball is not the most reliable method of divination :-)
  • Ann3Ann3 Member Posts: 6
    edited 25 January 2015, 8:17PM

Hi Sanj

67% free

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Jane

I understand your frustration, Fay, as I too feel a little 'duped' by BT who 'persuaded' me to change to YouView.  They provide the service and the equipment to view the service, and I believe that, in law, as the Humax box is not fit for purpose we go back to the supplier - in this case BT. I am very disappointed that BT seem to be 'passing the buck' by getting their customers to bypass them and go straight to Humax/YouView. However, I do think we will get a quicker result by lobbying YouView (and BT and other ISPs may be doing the same) as it is indeed THEIR service that is to blame.  
    In addition, I provided all my details to YouView in an earlier post and now have no problems - maybe a coincidence, but I wonder if they did indeed pick them up and work some magic.  I would urge everyone to follow their request for this info (see near the start of this posting, i.e. page 1) - although this may be superseded by the more recent news that they seem to have identified the fault and hope to have it fixed soon.  Fingers crossed!!!
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM

Hi Sanj

67% free

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Jane

I have posted this elsewhere but  will repeat here.

For those not willing to give YouView any further time, all disaffected users have cause for redress, and there are people on here who can help with that. Though I would strongly suggest starting a new thread for any that want away.

In the case of this conversation, it is BT you have the contract with and so it is BT whom you would pursue for redress (refund, return of box, cancellation of contract, etc), even though its not their fault (it is YouViews).

I also feel the need to point out this is not a BT forum and no BT representatives post on here. There are also no TalkTalk representatives on here either. This is a YouView forum. A YouView forum which contains replies and posts from fellow YouView users across a number of different ISP's and platforms, and any official announcements or replies are from the YouView team only. Though they have said they have a handle on the problem and are now working on a fix to roll out to users.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.

Hi Sanj

67% free

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Jane

Hi Fay

Besides echoing what Visionman said in general, I would like to explain some things to you, and to those who indicated agreement with you by Liking your post, more specifically.

Firstly, I am a customer like yourself, albeit one who bought a retail YouView box. I do not work for YouView, nor Humax, nor BT, nor TalkTalk, none of them; I am an independent person.

Secondly, that BT are powerless to solve this problem is (a) a matter of simple fact and (b) does not in any way absolve them from their responsibilities to you either under the contract you have with them or under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

In taking and supplying YouView boxes to their customers, BT have made themselves hostages to fortune insofar as they have little or no control over the software that runs the box, supplied by YouView themselves, nor the firmware or hardware supplied by Humax, who make the boxes.

I am sure that in the light of the severity of this problem and the length of time it has taken to be fixed, that BT will be reviewing their arrangements with YouView going forward.

I don't know if BT have access to the source code of the YouView software at present; if they did, then they might have been able to carry out their own independent search for the problem, assuming they had people who were up to speed with the software.

But I expect that up until now, BT would have regarded this as keeping a dog and then barking yourself. However, given how long it was before YouView barked, BT may now modify this view.

As Visionman further says, though, this is not the BT forum, and nor do BT reps post here.

If you would like to take your understandable rage and frustration over to the BT forum, and post it there, then you should get an official BT response as to what their powers and responsibilities are, and what redress they are prepared to offer you.

Hi Sanj

67% free

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Jane

Hi Ann

The YouView proposition is rather a complex one, though they try to keep it looking simple.

To understand BT's position, the best analogy is one from the early days of PCs, when if you bought a high-end software package - CAD, say - the supplier of the package would recommend, and also supply, a computer and operating system (e.g. like Windows) that they had ensured it was fully compatible with, and would run on without problems.

Now let's imagine that that operating system, call it Wondiws, working fine when you got your CAD system, was updated by its individual supplier, Mocrosift, overnight, without the option to refuse the update or back it out, and the new version, responsible for reliably writing your CAD drawings to the computer's hard disc, stopped doing that, sometimes writing only a little bit of them, sometimes writing the drawings complete, but pretending at first that it had only written a little bit.

In a case like this, the CAD supplier has all the responsibility to you to give you a system that should keep working, but is powerless to do so until Mocrosift get their finger out and fix the operating system.

And the CAD package won't run on any other operating system. And Mocrosift take three months to fix their OS.

A bad business all round :-(

If I were BT, going forward, I would insist that YouView develop a viable backout strategy for any future updates that go bad. I can understand why YouView updates are delivered without the option of refusing them, as this greatly simplifies support issues; and if there was a backout option, I believe there would be no need for a refusal option, so I wouldn't push for this.
  • AnnecylachienneAnnecylachienne Member Posts: 5
    edited 26 January 2015, 12:09PM

I'm another with this issue. I got my box less than 3 weeks ago but have only had this problem the last day. I am not a BT customer though.

I have had problems with these recordings
    Yesterday
    Channel 4, Location Location Location at 8pm. 2mins
    BBC2HD, Super Rich and Us at 9pm. 4mins
    Today
    C5+1, Celebrity Big Brother, 10pm.

Any shows set to record whilst I've been out have recorded. These ones I've been watching tv or recordings at the same time so it's like I'm interrupting the recording.

Given the protracted nature of this issue I stopped waiting for a solution and did some experimenting with settings.  The problem persisted all the time I kept the hard drive at low usage.  Once I started letting recordings build up it reduced in frequency and now that I have the drive full (in Settings, Device Management, set Auto-Delete-Recordings=ON) it seems to work without problem.   The previous advice given to reset the box and remove recording obviously does the opposite.   It may not work for everyone (could be a co-incidence) but I suggest trying it.   If you try it and it works please record here in the site and it may help them find the cause.
  • costas georgioucostas georgiou Member Posts: 5
    edited 26 January 2015, 12:10PM

I'm another with this issue. I got my box less than 3 weeks ago but have only had this problem the last day. I am not a BT customer though.

Yesterday
    Today

Any shows set to record whilst I've been out have recorded. These ones I've been watching tv or recordings at the same time so it's like I'm interrupting the recording.

But surely if your aim is to FILL the hard drive up then you'd want to set the auto-delete to OFF. In your post You said set it to ON which means your hard drive will be kept emptier and not fuller. Can you clarify please?
  • AnnecylachienneAnnecylachienne Member Posts: 5
    edited 26 January 2015, 12:39PM

Yesterday
    Today

yes - autodelete=ON enables you to keep recording with a full hard-drive - the system will delete the oldest recording to make space for the new one.  So the drive is always the fullest possible.  I can't claim there is any logic to this, but I had problems on another old PVR in the past which varied according to how full the drive was.
  • costas georgioucostas georgiou Member Posts: 5
    edited 26 January 2015, 12:40PM

Yesterday
    Today

Oh I see. Yes that makes perfect sense now. thanks for clarifying.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM

- Jon

You seem to be assuming YouView has actually hired all the people it was after :-)
  • StevieboyStevieboy Member Posts: 51
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I hope something is forthcoming this week as I need to know if the software is causing my box to crash all the time or if it's an actual fault with the box.
    The box crashed last night (again) and I left it powered off from the back overnight. Switched it on a few mins ago to be presented with the Tune channels/Setup screen.
    All my previously scheduled recordings are gone. Recordings are still there. I did not do a maintenance mode reset.
    If the box had a HDD fault i would expect recordings to be gone or corrup but precious schedules to still be there. It's all very odd.
  • Andy JWAndy JW Member Posts: 20
    edited 26 January 2015, 1:52PM

- Jon

I have just (from 24th Jan 2015) started to experience this problem!

Device: DTRT1000
    Variant: 80B07000
    Software Version: Last updated 27 Nov 2014
    Manufacturer Software: 20.9.0
    Component Software: 2.8.18
    Platform Configuration: 1234
    ISP Configuration: 220
    Free Space: 56%

When time shifting Mr Selfridge last night (watching from the start, after it had been on-air for about 15 minutes), the first 3 minutes played and then the message that the recording had ended appeared. Then the rest of Mr Selfridge failed to record (signal quality is at 100% for ITV)! Then the "very clever" youview recorder decided to record the ITV+1 transmission, but only recorded the first 4 minutes - so, we are now watching on ITV Player!

Also, when playing back room 101 (recorded on Friday 23 Jan 2015) and Surviving The Holocaust (recorded on Thursday 22 Jan 2015), the play-backs stopped about 3 minutes in, with the message that the recording had ended. The recordings were all there, and all played after re-starting the playback. But older (more than a week ago) recordings don't appear to have any problems?

Questions for humax:

1. Why has this only started happening last week on my box (software has not changed since November 2014)?

2. Good to hear thet progress is being made, but why is development of a fix taking so long, if the problem was introduced in the last software up-date?

Andy Worrall
  • Ann3Ann3 Member Posts: 6
    edited 26 January 2015, 2:00PM

Hi Sanj

67% free

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Jane

Yes, Roy, I agree with all you say.  Apart from posting here, I also complained to BT - who did phone me, then wanted me to go through the refresh/reboot process that I had already followed (details on how to do this in much earlier posting in this item).  I refused, as I had tried all that, but asked him to escalate the complaint (about YouView not providing a proper service, but BT being ultimately liable for providing the box to their customers, etc etc,) but he said he could not do that!  I went back into my BT complaint and updated that myself, but so far have heard nothing more (3 wks).  I will wait for YouView's outcome - assuming they are working at full pelt on this, even although my service seems to have resumed satisfactorily.  This post is now in my 'favourites' and I am following all posts with close interest and will be making a further full complaint to both parties, YouView and BT, even when the matter is resolved.  Would be interested to know who they are liable to - e.g. ombudsman, whatever.

Hi Sanj

67% free

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Jane

It is BT you have cause for redress with, Ann and they have to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction. Even if that be cancellation of contract and a refund of all monies paid. If they cannot do this they will issue whats known as a 'deadlock letter' stating the matter (at their end) is now closed. It is at this point you could take the matter further, to the Ombudsman, which in this case is Ofcom. However in cases of non-provision of a TV service, I've never seen it go that far.
  • Bob FitzsimmonsBob Fitzsimmons Member Posts: 9
    edited 27 January 2015, 12:11AM
    After a few weeks without issues they returned again last night! Is this just coincidence or did others have problems appear last night? Two failures again tonight. The box did an update earlier. No fix included. Tried to watch Broadchurch on ITV player and that failed half way through. I think it's time to switch providers.
    Stevieboy said:

I hope something is forthcoming this week as I need to know if the software is causing my box to crash all the time or if it's an actual fault with the box.
    The box crashed last night (again) and I left it powered off from the back overnight. Switched it on a few mins ago to be presented with the Tune channels/Setup screen.
    All my previously scheduled recordings are gone. Recordings are still there. I did not do a maintenance mode reset.
    If the box had a HDD fault i would expect recordings to be gone or corrup but precious schedules to still be there. It's all very odd.

I would not look to any future update to fix a crashing box.

The contents of your hard drive - recordings - are less volatile then your settings, tunings and schedules.

Your best bet is a Maintenance Mode reset mode 4 - Internet/USB Recovery, Keep Recordings.

This will refresh your running software, and the hard drive copy of it. You will have to re establish your settings, tunings and schedules after this, plus re-pair any YouView app copies.

If, after this, it still crashes, you almost certainly have a hardware fault, and will need to look to your provider, if BT or TT, or your warranty, if retail and you still have one, for redress.
  • Luke M WalkerLuke M Walker Member Posts: 1
    edited 26 January 2015, 11:01PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

We have made some progress with our investigation of this problem and have been able to identify the issue causing the short recordings and recording playback symptoms experienced by some BT and Humax customers. We are now looking to develop a fix that eliminates the issue, we will continue to update on our progress with this. Thank you for your ongoing patience while we continue to work on a fix as a priority.

Phil

Thanks Phil, but how long is this going to take and can we expect a refund for all the lost recordings? It's being going on for a while now and not been resolved. I've lost the end to 3 films and half episodes of mini series, really really frustrating. Please find a fix quickly. 73 and counting on here and that's only the people that have found this forum. Maybe you need to send out an email to all your Youview customers?
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

We have made some progress with our investigation of this problem and have been able to identify the issue causing the short recordings and recording playback symptoms experienced by some BT and Humax customers. We are now looking to develop a fix that eliminates the issue, we will continue to update on our progress with this. Thank you for your ongoing patience while we continue to work on a fix as a priority.

Phil

There are approx 2m YouView users atm Luke. As stated on this thread, the majority remain unaffected by this issue.
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Phil

The majority are TalkTalk users who haven't got the update in question yet.

But surely the point is not so much what percentage of YouView users it's acceptable that a crippling bug should affect, albeit thankfully small in this case, but how long it has taken to bottom it.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi all,

We have made further progress and a fix has now been developed by Humax to address the issue which is currently being tested. Early next week we will be able to update this thread with our initial results from testing.

Thanks again for your support while we progress a fix for this problem.

Phil