Scheduled recording only recording 3 mins then stops.

Comments

• Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi all,

We have made further progress and a fix has now been developed by Humax to address the issue which is currently being tested. Early next week we will be able to update this thread with our initial results from testing.

Thanks again for your support while we progress a fix for this problem.

Phil
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:30PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

We have made further progress and a fix has now been developed by Humax to address the issue which is currently being tested. Early next week we will be able to update this thread with our initial results from testing.

Phil

Thanks for the update Phil, this is good news. It is interesting that you say the fix has been developed by Humax (as opposed to YouView). Are you thus able to confirm that the underlying issue is within the manufacturer element of the code rather than the main code YouView are directly responsible for?

Prior to this issue perhaps the most serious bug was the channel loss problem suffered by some users a couple of years ago. I mentioned the channel lose bug in my summary post on 28/12/2014 and noted at that time that that bug took 1 month to isolate and about another month to fully test and release the fix.

Given the time it has taken to isolate this current bug, about 3 months so about 3 times as long as that previous serious issue, and the impact on those affected this current issue is arguably the most serious issue the YouView system has suffered.

I very much hope in this instance the testing and release of the fix can be done very quickly (but thoroughly) and hence it can be made available to customers in much less than the month it took to close out the channel loss issue once testing began.

One factor that appears to be in common between these two (most) serious issues is that they have only affected Humax boxes and the issue has ultimately been tracked to a part of the system that is the responsibility of Humax (rather than YouView or the ISP variant extras). In contrast it is the ISP (BT in this case) and YouView that are most visible to the customer and bearing the understandable frustration and annoyance whilst Humax has borne very little criticism (in relation to this issue although of course there is quite a bit of critical feedback surrounding the hardware reliability of the T1xxx boxes).

I very much hope the Humax part of the software does not play a part in any future significant issues (and of course more generally hope there are no more serious issues in any part of the system). If Humaxes newer T2xxx boxes continue to prove reliable and there are no more issues within the Humax part of the code that can only be good for their reputation and the reputation of the YouView system as a whole.
  • majonesmajones Member Posts: 79
    edited 17 June 2015, 4:16PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Phil

It is frustrating that when things aren't working, we're having to infer from often erratic symptoms what the root cause might be. These boxes need more built-in diagnostics. Per my post elsewhere, it's taken me ages to suss that what I thought might be a firmware problem was actually a disk failure, that required me to dismantle the box and move the disk to a PC to diagnose.
  • jaysonuk1jaysonuk1 Member Posts: 1
    edited 29 January 2017, 9:41PM

After 10 days from a  "maintenance reset/keep recordings"  I thought it was over but Oh No!

Last night .........just when I though the reset had worked......8pm  ITV1 Martin Lewis Money prog...went to watch it later and once again part recorded 2mins. For some reason it picked it up again an hour later on ITV+1 and recorded all the way through.  Let's hope Humax do manage to sort this out this week.

• MaximMaxim Member Posts: 2
    edited 31 January 2015, 3:08PM
    Maxim said:

It's been really story/windy here - could be related to the bug? Our box (new at Christmas) started with this issue yesterday, recording 1 or 2 minute parts then ending. sometimes it's possible to replay the recording- sometimes not. Noticed that if it fails after a minute or 2 and you try to watch the same program live instead - and then try to rewind live tv, it still thinks it's recording and jumps back to the 2 minute chunk which originally failed. Tried a retune - hopefully it'll work - GF is pissed with it! screaming at TV

seems fixed after retuning channels - no issues now for a couple of weeks
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi everyone,

I would like to let everyone know that working on a fix for this issue is still our highest priority. We understand how frustrating it is for those affected to continue to experience issues with incomplete recording and playing them back. For some the suggested steps already mentioned have helped: attempting a re-tune of your box to a different transmitter, attempting to playback a failed recording a second time if it stops, or attempting to do a factory reset (keep recordings) through Maintenance Mode. For some these steps have not stopped the issue, or has only stopped the issue from appearing for a short period of time. We are committed to ensuring a complete fix will be implemented for these two issues going forward.

Our test and engineering teams have made progress with narrowing down the cause of the problem, and will look to work on a fix as soon as possible. We will continue to provide updates on the status of this when more information is available until a fix is made available.

Thanks,

Phil

Because YouView sold you their dreams, but can't fix your nightmares?
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • Ali2Ali2 Member Posts: 1
    edited 31 January 2015, 9:54PM
    I'm having the same problem, Law & Order SVU only recorded 3 mins. Loads of other programmes over the past few weeks have had the same problem.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    A fix can't come soon enough for me. The frequency with which this problem happens on my box is increasing by the day, making it totally unreliable. I hope we are told what the cause was, once it is sorted. Sounds like it may be an interface problem - YouView/Humax.
  • StevieboyStevieboy Member Posts: 51
    edited 1 February 2015, 11:17AM
    jaysonuk1 said:

After 10 days from a  "maintenance reset/keep recordings"  I thought it was over but Oh No!

Last night .........just when I though the reset had worked......8pm  ITV1 Martin Lewis Money prog...went to watch it later and once again part recorded 2mins. For some reason it picked it up again an hour later on ITV+1 and recorded all the way through.  Let's hope Humax do manage to sort this out this week.

The boxes are designed to recognise when a recording has failed and then try to record it again when it next appears in the EPG. Nice feature I think. However, i'd much rather it recorded correctly first time round :)

A fix can't come soon enough for me. The frequency with which this problem happens on my box is increasing by the day, making it totally unreliable. I hope we are told what the cause was, once it is sorted. Sounds like it may be an interface problem - YouView/Humax.

We now know that it's Humax who are providing the fix, suggesting a device problem not a YouView problem. The Humax on-board diagnostics and repair capability is limited to Maintenance Mode, and I'm wondering whether a full restore to factory settings has made a difference for anyone?
  • ShiralcoShiralco Member Posts: 20
    edited 1 February 2015, 3:46PM

It is interesting that Humax are developing the fix, particularly in view of when I phoned their customer support team they said it was not their problem and virtually hung up on me!  In an earlier post I incorrectly said that the 3 minute problem had started and I had made no changes to my settings.  I then remembered that I had changed from high eco mode to low eco mode, and added a mobile device.  I changed back to high eco mode about a week ago, and every recording since then has been OK.  Pure coincidence?  Probably, but it’s worth a try.

• jt edsonjt edson Member Posts: 7
    edited 1 February 2015, 11:56PM

This has been going on for the last four weeks and I had no problems before that . My last update was in last November so why is it starting now. Is it something that has just been turned on in May be in the last six weeks. When did Netflix start?

I suspect that the 3 minutes bug has been lurking in the Humax code for a very long time, but nothin ever tripped over it until the latest YouView software update took a path through it for the first time.

And quite possibly, Humax had no idea it was there until YouView told them about it.

All this may also explain why the bug took so long to find; instead of being in the code that YouView had newly written for the latest update, it was in the path that the new code took through Humax' established code, which YouView may have spent a good while assuming was working properly.

@jt edson

It started with the latest YouView software update, at the end of October. This was the one that enabled NetFlix.

Some users think they might have seen the issue in earlier releases, and if my theory that the bug has been lurking in the Humax code since way back is true, this may indeed have been the case.

But the volumes of reports of it coincided with the progressive release of the October 2014 YouView update to retail and BT Humax boxes.

Until YouView tell us more about the bug, we may not know for sure why some boxes get it and some seem immune. And why some get it straight away, but for others it is delayed. And why for some it is cured or alleviated by a box reset, yet for others even a total box replacement does not cure it.

And the maths there is compelling; if 1% of users get this bug, and it's random, then the chance of getting it on a replacement box as well is 0.01%, yet we have seen figures far higher than that. So it's something other than purely random; but what?

The trick, if trick there be, is not to have the software taking the unhappy path in the Humax code; so there must be quite a few things that shake the box up that might do this. But not knowing what makes one box take the unhappy path, and another box not, or even the same box on another occasion not; there's the rub.
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Member Posts: 367
    edited 11 December 2016, 11:58AM

Had the recording problem last night.
    Recorded Top Gear, playback only lasted about 30 seconds.  restarted playback, played for 5 mins or so.  Restarted played for about 8 mins. This went on until I gave up and watched it on iPlayer.. BT  G4 box.. 
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi everyone,

A new software is now available for YouView Humax set-top boxes from retail and YouView from BT which includes fixes for this recording issue. More information can be found here.

Phil
  • ShiralcoShiralco Member Posts: 20
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Great news Phil.  Do you think we will ever find out exactly what the problem was?
    Shiralco said:

Great news Phil.  Do you think we will ever find out exactly what the problem was?

I sincerely hope that YouView plan to tell us.
    Shiralco said:

The "Humax" screen at startup now says "ver. A7.76". I think it used to say "ver. A7.75". If so, it fits the theory that the problem was with the Humax firmware.  
    edited 7 September 2017, 6:40PM
    Hi all,

We would like to thank everyone for their support on the forum whilst we have been investigating the recording issue affecting some of our viewers with YouView Humax boxes. We appreciate how frustrating this issue has been for those affected given the impact of the problem, and how it can appear intermittently.

It was initially difficult to isolate the root cause of the problem given that not all YouView boxes were affected, and there were a combination of factors that needed to take place for the box to surface the issue. The specific combination of environmental factors included where you live, the data received from the aerial and the number of functions the device was carrying out, all of which interacted with this software issue and resulted in recordings not playing back correctly, or stopping after only a number of minutes.

After significant environment testing we are now in a position to roll out a software fix to all potential customers who might be impacted.

As a result of this issue, we’ve updated our software validation steps to take into account all these different factors in the future.

Thanks,

Phil
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

We would like to thank everyone for their support on the forum whilst we have been investigating the recording issue affecting some of our viewers with YouView Humax boxes. We appreciate how frustrating this issue has been for those affected given the impact of the problem, and how it can appear intermittently.

It was initially difficult to isolate the root cause of the problem given that not all YouView boxes were affected, and there were a combination of factors that needed to take place for the box to surface the issue. The specific combination of environmental factors included where you live, the data received from the aerial and the number of functions the device was carrying out, all of which interacted with this software issue and resulted in recordings not playing back correctly, or stopping after only a number of minutes.

After significant environment testing we are now in a position to roll out a software fix to all potential customers who might be impacted.

As a result of this issue, we’ve updated our software validation steps to take into account all these different factors in the future.

Thanks,

Phil

This might sound like a dumb question, but presumably this software fix has also been tested on machines in an environment where they were NOT affected by the problem, to ensure that there are now no adverse effects going forward for those who never suffered the issue in the first place. If that makes sense?
  • DavidKDavidK Member Posts: 24
    edited 16 July 2015, 6:46PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Phil

This discussion topic is about part-recorded programmes – i.e. only 3 minutes of a full recording are made.  There are other comments about full recordings only playing back about 3 minutes before saying it is complete but these can then be played in full by trying again.

These are 2 different problems as far as the end user is concerned, although the underlying issue may be connected.  One can successfully retry playing back a full recording but there is nothing that can be done if only 3 minutes was recorded.

I notice that the Official Notice of the February 2015 update only mentions the failed playback.  It does not mention the problem that sometimes only 3 minutes of the programme has been recorded in the first place.

So - does the February 2015 update fix both issues?

To be honest, not recording the complete programme is a much more serious issue that is unrecoverable from unlike just playing the first few minutes before having to stop and retry that seems to succeed and so, if the recording problem has also been fixed, then I would have thought it needed to be mentioned in the notice.

• StevieboyStevieboy Member Posts: 51
    edited 29 January 2017, 9:41PM
    It's all looking good for me so far
    edited 19 December 2016, 9:55PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Phil

Hi DavidK,

You are right to mention that there are two separate issues here and I have amended the official announcement to make this a bit clearer.

The first issue saw a programme recording stop after a few minutes, meaning the recording was incomplete and only 1-3 minutes were recorded. The recording might show under My View as being 'Part-recorded'. The update fixes this issue so that you should not encounter a problem with future records being incomplete. If you do have an incomplete recordings due to this issue the update will not allow them to playback as the recording is only 1-3 minutes.

The second issue occurred on programmes that were recorded successfully for the full programme duration. When playing some of these back they might stop playing after 1-3 minutes (although the rest of the programme was recorded successfully). This could be played-back correctly in most instances by simply playing it again after it stopped. For this issue the update will allow these recording to correctly play for the full duration.

The new February 2015 update fixes both of the recording problems mentioned above.

Thanks,

Phil
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    What a nightmare problem, Phil. Given the variables associated with the bug, I can fully understand why it was so hard to find. In addition, testing any fixes must have been quite challenging as well!

Given all this, I think the team have done well to provide what appears to be a fix. Only time will tell, but I for one am very happy at the prospect of returning to the reliability I had before the problem surfaced. Pat on the back, team.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM

What a nightmare problem, Phil. Given the variables associated with the bug, I can fully understand why it was so hard to find. In addition, testing any fixes must have been quite challenging as well!

Given all this, I think the team have done well to provide what appears to be a fix. Only time will tell, but I for one am very happy at the prospect of returning to the reliability I had before the problem surfaced. Pat on the back, team.

I wonder who will be the first to report that a recording playback has stopped after 3 minutes? :-)
  • Norman SpinyNorman Spiny Member Posts: 2
    edited 5 February 2015, 10:15PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Phil

Phil, when will this update be rolled out? I am still getting the problem tonight (Feb 5th).
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:30PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Norman - the phased update roll out began a 3 days ago. As is standard practice with YouView software roll outs it is done in a phased manner over a two week period. If your box is not on the list to have received the box by a given date then it will not update and there is nothing you can do but wait until your box is on the list (how they manage that list is not clear but assume random in the absence of other details/for simplicity). The box will check for the update overnight but in prinicple the next batch of machines can access the update at some point in the day so you could try a manual update at 6pm each evening to try to get it a few hours early.

Checking my box now I have not yet received the update either but no doubt it will appear some time in the next 10-11 days.
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Phil

I'm hoping its regional, and the first regions are the ones the problem occurs in. Might not be technically feasible to do it that way though.

I do know I've had some past updates on around the first day and others near the end of the rollout, so it's not always the same sequence every time.
  • Norman SpinyNorman Spiny Member Posts: 2
    edited 6 February 2015, 2:19PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Phil

Thanks for the reply Keith - do you know the version number of the new software so I can check? Thanks again