Scheduled recording only recording 3 mins then stops.

Comments

• mintominto Member Posts: 15
    edited 11 November 2014, 4:34PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for updating on this one, it sounds like there are two separate issues noted here- one where the recording does not complete, and the other where the first attempt at playing back the recording stops at 3 minutes- with subsequent attempts proving successful.

We are currently investigating this further so will update when there is more information available.

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil, any news at all?  You say above that there are two issues. But they seem to be symptoms of the same fault, the software upgrade. Started same time etc. Can we have the old software back please?
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 8:55PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for updating on this one, it sounds like there are two separate issues noted here- one where the recording does not complete, and the other where the first attempt at playing back the recording stops at 3 minutes- with subsequent attempts proving successful.

We are currently investigating this further so will update when there is more information available.

Thanks,

Phil

Hi minto,

We are carrying out some extensive testing to establish the exact cause of this currently. When more information is known I will update here.

Thanks,

Phil
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi Steve,

Thanks,

Phil

Like the dog that didn't bark in the nighttime, could the fact that I, along no doubt with others, have the latest update and yet have none of these issues be illuminating?

So while the latest update seems indeed to be the root of these problems, some of us are curiously unscathed by it.

I wonder what the common factor among those who have the issue is, and the common factor, if any, among those who don't?

Box hardware model? ISP? Region/transmitter? When and how the recording was set?

If you think you have found a common factor, Phil, I'll be happy to see if my rig falls inside or outside of it.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    edited 17 February 2017, 4:59PM
    Hi all,

Just to update, we are continuing to investigate this as a priority.

In order to investigate further it would be great if we could grab 2 additional bits of information along with the additional question we have mentioned earlier.

- Your Postcode
    - The start time of the programme affected (press OK on the programme in 'My View')

You can provide this feedback via our community email inbox [email protected]

Thanks,

Phil
  • Andy ClarksonAndy Clarkson Member Posts: 4
    edited 12 November 2014, 2:10PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Just to update, we are continuing to investigate this as a priority.

In order to investigate further it would be great if we could grab 2 additional bits of information along with the additional question we have mentioned earlier.

- Your Postcode
    - The start time of the programme affected (press OK on the programme in 'My View')

You can provide this feedback via our community email inbox [email protected]

Thanks,

Phil

KW14 7JB

Failed recordings at 19.00,19.30,20.00,20.30,21.00 and 22.00
  • Philip GostlingPhilip Gostling Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I have had the replay problem occur several times recently. The latest example was with The Apprentice - Your Fired BBC2 HD 10:00 Tuesday night. The recording was OK but on the first attempt it played for about 3 minutes and then said it had reached the end of the recording. It played OK on the second attempt. I have 62% free space. Last weekend I did a full power down and restart of the box to try and clear this problem but this shows that it had no effect.

I have had the replay problem occur several times recently. The latest example was with The Apprentice - Your Fired BBC2 HD 10:00 Tuesday night. The recording was OK but on the first attempt it played for about 3 minutes and then said it had reached the end of the recording. It played OK on the second attempt. I have 62% free space. Last weekend I did a full power down and restart of the box to try and clear this problem but this shows that it had no effect.

YouView are collecting information about this known issue. Can you send the details requested by Sanj above, plus your postcode as this is possibly relevant, to

[email protected]
  • David BurridgeDavid Burridge Member Posts: 2
    edited 13 November 2014, 9:15PM
    I have factory reset twice and currently all appears to be ok, BT have an appointment for next week, may need to cancel, watch this space
  • mintominto Member Posts: 15
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I have been in touch directly with Humax support. They appear to be saying it's not a known issue and recommend a reset. This is the response

Thank you for contacting Humax Support.

I am sorry to learn that the humax box is not preforming as it should.

Unfortunately this is not a known issue and would be a fault on the hard drive. Try doing a factory reset on the unit as this will format the hard drive and refresh the software and should fix your issue. 

To reset the Youview box please follow the instructions below.

Note: A reset restores your YouView box to its original factory settings (the way it was when you bought it). This will delete all your recordings, and put all settings back to their default values. You won't be able to get these back. You'll also need to go through the setup process again. 

To perform a Factory Reset see below: 

1. Press the YouView button on your remote control
    2. Scroll to Settings and press OK 
    3. Scroll to Device Management and press OK 
    4. Scroll to Reset YouView Box and press OK. 
    5. Choose ‘Reset’ and you’ll get a warning message. Press OK to continue, or Back to cancel. 
    6. If you choose to reset, your set top box will restart and once this is complete, all your recordings and settings will have been removed, and the setup wizard will begin automatically.

Best Regards,

Conor

Humax Customer Support
    minto said:

I have been in touch directly with Humax support. They appear to be saying it's not a known issue and recommend a reset. This is the response

Unfortunately this is not a known issue and would be a fault on the hard drive. Try doing a factory reset on the unit as this will format the hard drive and refresh the software and should fix your issue. 

Note: A reset restores your YouView box to its original factory settings (the way it was when you bought it). This will delete all your recordings, and put all settings back to their default values. You won't be able to get these back. You'll also need to go through the setup process again. 

5. Choose ‘Reset’ and you’ll get a warning message. Press OK to continue, or Back to cancel. 
    6. If you choose to reset, your set top box will restart and once this is complete, all your recordings and settings will have been removed, and the setup wizard will begin automatically.

Best Regards,

Conor

Humax Customer Support

That's horrendously bad advice, and Humax are clearly not up to speed on this issue.

I strongly recommend that you do not follow it.

In the meantime, I do hope that YouView will quickly have a word with Humax about this.
  • CliveRapleyCliveRapley Member Posts: 6
    edited 13 November 2014, 9:46PM
    minto said:

Best Regards,

Conor

Humax Customer Support

Before I purchased my new box from Humax a couple of weeks ago I bought a new one from ebay. It would often hang during bootup so I emailed Humax and got the self same reply almost word for word. I did as instructed and it killed my first box with a Boot Fail, Invalid Signature. So I would say it is a stock "Go away and stop bothering us email" and I certainly dont want to try it again on this box
    minto said:

Best Regards,

Conor

Humax Customer Support

Boxes on eBay are on eBay for a reason. It may not necessarily be sinister of course, but it often is.

Any new box sourced from eBay should be put through an immediate Maintenance Mode reset to ensure you are not just taking on someone else's BFIS-bricked box, and whack it straight back if it is.

There's a saying that 'you get what you pay for' but sometimes you don't get even that.
  • CliveRapleyCliveRapley Member Posts: 6
    edited 13 November 2014, 10:20PM
    minto said:

Best Regards,

Conor

Humax Customer Support

Yep It was from a reputable seller they refunded me in full but that was not the issue. The point I was trying to make was it seems Humax has a stock email reply  "just do a reset and go away" and in my case it bricked my box.
    minto said:

Best Regards,

Conor

Humax Customer Support

It might have been pre-bricked, and the reset just revealed this.

A stock reply, though, yes. Cures everything but faulty hardware and problems that were outside the box in the first place. Of which only the first is their concern, and it points these up unambiguously.
  • Darren BradleyDarren Bradley Member Posts: 1
    edited 16 November 2014, 5:41PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for getting back to me with more info, I wanted to check a couple of things here:

- You mentioned the issue with Emmerdale and Coronation Street, when looking at these recordings in 'My View' does it tell you that they are only 3 minutes long or the full 30 minutes?

- Is there any indication the programmes have failed recording or say they are partially recorded (or do they otherwise look fully recorded)?

- If the recording playback cuts out at 3 minutes, are you able to press OK to go back into 'My View' and then from here play the recording again? If so does it go beyond the 3 minutes and play normally?

I wanted to check if the recordings affected are only 3 minutes long in entirety, or they stop at 3 minutes on first play through, but subsequently work for the normal duration when played back again.

Thanks,

Phil

From my experience they stop after three minutes and do the same thing again when you restart the programme again even when you go back to where it had stopped. I know the whole programme is there as can fast forward through the programme and it is all there but when you rewind and start watching you on,y get three minutes before it stops again. Very annoying!
  • Thanet PC GuyThanet PC Guy Member Posts: 4
    edited 14 November 2014, 8:45AM
    I was trying to record multiple programs last night.

Watchdog BBC HD at 8pm - recorded about 3 mins and then stopped. (Only program on record at the time)

Big Bang theory - 9pm - E4 - again only program recording but failed after 2 mins.

celebrity juice - 10pm - itv2 - this failed after 2 mins. I did have Russel Howard's good news recording the same time and this recorded fine. I did however have a third Channel live which was obviously wrong as it can only record one and watch one. This is why I think the second recording failed.

I have just powered down. Pulled the aerial out and started up again. Retuned channels
    edited 19 December 2016, 8:55PM
    minto said:

Best Regards,

Conor

Humax Customer Support

Hi minto,

This is incorrect from Humax so I will take this up with them. Currently our test team are looking at the conditions that might cause the recording to cut off at this point.

I would not recommend a factory reset as it will delete recordings and most likely have no impact on the issue. We are still determining the cause at this stage and it is a priority for us.
  • AnnecylachienneAnnecylachienne Member Posts: 5
    edited 14 November 2014, 10:11PM
    Noted that the box now says last update 11 Nov 2014 but problem not gone away.

System information:
    Humax DTR1010 GB 500Gb, variant 80B07000
    Manufacturers software 2.0.9.0, component software 2.8.18, platform config 1234, ISP config 84

In the period 6th to 14th November, carried out 35 recordings.  Problems seen on:

Big Bang Theory 06/11/14 20.33 Ch.21 (E4) SS-45% SQ-100% Shown 3mins Playback 3m00s
    Coronation Street 14/11/14 19.31 Ch.3 (ITV) SS-51% SQ-100% Shown 5mins Playback 4m02s
    Coronation Street 14/11/14 20.29 Ch.3 (ITV) SS-51% SQ-100% Shown 2mins Playback 1m56s
    Coronation Street 14/11/14 21.29 Ch.33 (ITV+1) SS-51% SQ-100% Shown 5mins Playback 4m34s %%
    Big Bang Theory 13/11/14 20.33 Ch.21 (E4) SS-45% SQ-100% Shown 26mins Playback 26m04s **

%% showed red recording symbol against the item for the whole period of planned recording even though after 5 minutes it has stopped adding to the recording
    ** played 3 mins the first play, playback of your recording has ended; played second time worked properly
  • Val RyanVal Ryan Member Posts: 8
    edited 15 November 2014, 8:38AM
    Val Ryan said:

Have had an on line chat with bt tech and gone through all re boot procedures with them but nothing worked, they are now sending an engineer tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Two BT appointments missed but recordings etc have returned to normal, strange or what, will see how things go over weekend as they are due to come again on Monday !
  • Forthe RecordForthe Record Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM
    Same issue for me. Only 3 mins recorded of celebrity juice, second half of children in need and Alan Carr over the last 2 days. Alan Carr, however, recorded fine an hour later on +1. BT Humax box with latest software installed and over 50% available space.
  • Alex DayAlex Day Member Posts: 1
    edited 16 November 2014, 11:39AM
    zulu17 said:

There are a few (currently 3 posters) on the BT forum that appear to have reported similar issue 

thread is
    https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/youview-recordings-stopping-after-2-minutes/td-p/1404053

Got you view box but keeps failing recording after 1-3 mins.......help!!!
  • Rob WatsonRob Watson Member Posts: 1
    Seeing exactly the same behaviour from 2 Humax boxes since the October update. One of them has been factory reset and it's now partly behaving, so this fault is happening maybe 30% of the time, the other hasn't and it's happening maybe 60% of the time.

My boxes are still under a year old and still subject to the resellers warranty,  so if there isn't a firmware fix for this in the next 3 - 4 week I will be returning both for refunds. 

This is a firmware problem, this did not exist before the October update. You broke the software.

Speaking as a professional telecoms engineer, these boxes appear to be embedded linux devices. I would appreciate the facility to role back software to previous versions if there are problems.
  • Val RyanVal Ryan Member Posts: 8
    edited 16 November 2014, 4:09PM
    May be of interest we have had all these probs for last 4 weeks, but last 3 days it has suddenly corrected itself !
  • Andrew CAndrew C Member Posts: 47
    edited 28 March 2017, 9:35AM
    • What was the Programme/Channel/Time and Date of the recordings? Ch4 HD 9pm Friday (and many others) also sometimes does not timeshift correctly, and when unpaused drops to live with no back buffer. (usually happens as a bad recording is going or has already happened) it is like the OS is unable to correctly read/write disc state/info, but also unaware it is happening.
    • What is the signal strength/quality for that channel? (Settings > TV Signal & Quality > TV signal Quality:  Strength 50% Quality 100%
    • Box Make/Model (Settings > System Information > Device Information) Humax DTRT1000
    • Software versions (Settings > System Information > Software Version) Manufacturer sw:20.9.0 Component sw:2.8.18
    • Are you watching the programme simultaneously when recording the programme while viewing something else & while watching/recording via timeshifting.
    • Does this happen consistently (and for all recordings set)?  returning to the recording later causes the issue to re-occur ie. it is only a 2min recording. Once recordings start to fail (ie two mins) all following recrdings seem to follow suit (ie two mins)
    • Is the box behaving otherwise normally (speed, responsiveness)? normally (possably a little slugish but nothing it has not always done at times)
    • How much Hard Disk Drive space is left on the box (can be checked in 'MyView') 22% free (varies from around 50 to 20)

Fully power cycling the box (ie. power off at rear switch, wait 30sec, power on) will allow recording longer than 2 mins (older faulty/bad recordings are still 2mins) & timeshifting will work, but issue will return within aprox 24/48hrs.(sometimes faster)

Playing the 2mins recordings to end and then resuming them does not give any extra recording time. ie at two mins i am at end of recording.

While recording (the faulty/bad recordings) box states it is being recorded "R" even after 2 mins although in "MyView" length is stuck at two mins and does not progress.

Hope this helps, any extra questions or info you need just ask.

• Andrew CAndrew C Member Posts: 47
    edited 28 March 2017, 9:35AM
    • What was the Programme/Channel/Time and Date of the recordings? Ch4 HD 9pm Friday (and many others) also sometimes does not timeshift correctly, and when unpaused drops to live with no back buffer. (usually happens as a bad recording is going or has already happened) it is like the OS is unable to correctly read/write disc state/info, but also unaware it is happening.
    • What is the signal strength/quality for that channel? (Settings > TV Signal & Quality > TV signal Quality:  Strength 50% Quality 100%
    • Box Make/Model (Settings > System Information > Device Information) Humax DTRT1000
    • Software versions (Settings > System Information > Software Version) Manufacturer sw:20.9.0 Component sw:2.8.18
    • Are you watching the programme simultaneously when recording the programme while viewing something else & while watching/recording via timeshifting.
    • Does this happen consistently (and for all recordings set)?  returning to the recording later causes the issue to re-occur ie. it is only a 2min recording. Once recordings start to fail (ie two mins) all following recrdings seem to follow suit (ie two mins)
    • Is the box behaving otherwise normally (speed, responsiveness)? normally (possably a little slugish but nothing it has not always done at times)
    • How much Hard Disk Drive space is left on the box (can be checked in 'MyView') 22% free (varies from around 50 to 20)

Fully power cycling the box (ie. power off at rear switch, wait 30sec, power on) will allow recording longer than 2 mins (older faulty/bad recordings are still 2mins) & timeshifting will work, but issue will return within aprox 24/48hrs.(sometimes faster)

Playing the 2mins recordings to end and then resuming them does not give any extra recording time. ie at two mins i am at end of recording.

While recording (the faulty/bad recordings) box states it is being recorded "R" even after 2 mins although in "MyView" length is stuck at two mins and does not progress.

Hope this helps, any extra questions or info you need just ask.

• Jane Frewer1Jane Frewer1 Member Posts: 6
    We've been experiencing exactly the same problems. Either we watch a recording and it says it has come to the end of a recording after a couple of minutes, but plays properly if you stop and start it again. Or it only records a minute or so of a programme and that's it. It happened tonight whilst trying to record Strictly Come Dancing Results show, it only recorded a minute of it. And last night it happened with Strictly's show but it played all of it once we stopped it and started it again. It's also happened with Downton Abbey and Apprentice. We've had our YouView box nearly 2 years through BT, but it has only started happening in the last two weeks. Any advice gratefully received, thought I was going mad but clearly it's not just me!
    edited 9 December 2014, 9:31AM

We've been experiencing exactly the same problems. Either we watch a recording and it says it has come to the end of a recording after a couple of minutes, but plays properly if you stop and start it again. Or it only records a minute or so of a programme and that's it. It happened tonight whilst trying to record Strictly Come Dancing Results show, it only recorded a minute of it. And last night it happened with Strictly's show but it played all of it once we stopped it and started it again. It's also happened with Downton Abbey and Apprentice. We've had our YouView box nearly 2 years through BT, but it has only started happening in the last two weeks. Any advice gratefully received, thought I was going mad but clearly it's not just me!

And it's just done it again with Human Universe, and Speed with Guy Martin. So everything it's tried to record tonight, it's only recorded one or two minutes of.
  • Peter Morris2Peter Morris2 Member Posts: 1
    edited 16 November 2014, 9:15PM

I'm getting the same fault. Also if I pause when you restarting just goes to current and doesn't play from where paused!
    edited 9 December 2014, 9:31AM

Yes, we've just had that same problem, and when pausing live TV too
  • Keith MayKeith May Member Posts: 1
    edited 17 November 2014, 7:22AM
    i to am having these same problems last night x factor results and sue perkins mekong river. had same with strictly on staturday and alan carr chatty man on friday. tried to record dinners drives and dives yesterday only a minute. can they not roll back filmware? i cant supply any tech data as at work.