Scheduled recording only recording 3 mins then stops.

Comments

• churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM

Ever since I powered down, reseated the arial cable and retuned I have had no problems. Worth a try.

Nevertheless, John, in the spirit of this forum, people are trying to help from their own experience. It's what makes the forum tick.... tick, tick, tick - oh - it's stopped - take COVER!
  • Thanet PC GuyThanet PC Guy Member Posts: 4
    edited 24 November 2014, 8:29AM

Ever since I powered down, reseated the arial cable and retuned I have had no problems. Worth a try.

It's ever since that update for Netflix come in that I have started to have these issues. No problem on the brand new smaller box I have downstairs however so it does seem to be model specific.

I have the humax model DTRT1000 variant 80B08530

Every recording was failing before I reseated the Arial and re-tuned. Ever since it's been working. I do agree that this is a software problem but I'm just letting people know my personal experience with this issue.
  • Thanet PC GuyThanet PC Guy Member Posts: 4
    edited 24 November 2014, 8:32AM

Also the software versions are as follows.

Manufacture software : 20.9.0
    Component software: 2.8.18
    Platform software: 1234
    ISP config: 90
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Err..., it's a software update issue obviously. People on here replugging aerials etc - nonsense!!!

How is it obvious?
  • StevieboyStevieboy Member Posts: 51
    edited 29 January 2017, 9:41PM

All of my scheduled recordings failed last night. Here are the answers to the questions:
    1. What was the Programme/Channel/Time and Date of the recordings? (is it SD or HD content?)

Sunday 23rd November ITV2 (4.50pm), BBC1 HD (7.15pm and 9pm), ITV (8pm and 9pm), C4+1 (10pm) and Sky Christmas (11.30pm)

2. What is the signal strength/quality for that channel? (Settings > TV Signal & Quality > TV signal Quality (while on that channel))

All channels have 68% strength and 100% quality

3. Box Make/Model (Settings > System Information > Device Information)

Humax DTRT1000, variant 80B08500, retail unit

4. Software versions (Settings > System Information > Software Version)

Manufacturer software: 20.9.0
    Component software: 2.8.18
    Platform: 1234
    ISP: 1401011

Says it was last updated on 23rd November - have had this problem before and since that date

5. Are you watching the programme simultaneously when recording the programme (or is it a set recording while viewing something else)

No

6. Does this happen consistently (and for all recordings set)? i.e. is it happening once and then you can play the full recording when going back into it- or does returning to the recording later cause the issue to re-occur?

No, it's not happening for all recordings, or consistently. Everything we recorded on Sunday only part recorded, but X factor on ITV on Saturday 23rd and Casualty and Tomorrow's Worlds were OK.

7. Is the recording complete when playback is re-attempted, or does it cut off at the 3 minute mark?

See above,  it's doing both. Sometimes it only has a few minutes recorded and that is it. Sometimes it has recorded the whole programme, plays a few minutes, cuts off, but then lets you watch the whole thing. Other times, programmes have recorded absolutely fine with no issue.

8. Is the box behaving otherwise normally (speed, responsiveness)?

Pretty much - I am getting some lag between pressing buttons on the handset to actions happening on screen, i.e. when navigating round MyView or the Guide

9. How much Hard Disk Drive space is left on the box (can be checked in 'MyView')

99% free

Would taking the box back to a factory reset put the software back to a point prior to the last update? or would youview update it automatically?

edited 24 November 2014, 10:23AM
    redchiz said:

Err..., it's a software update issue obviously. People on here replugging aerials etc - nonsense!!!

How is it obvious?

it's obvious because it is effecting a number of boxes and seems to have started when a software update was done. The chances of a number of boxes (different versions too) developing the same issue due to a hardware fault at the same time is pretty slim. Of course it could be that the broadcasters are sending the wrong start/stop signals, but that seems unlikely as the recordings show up as still recording and my talktalk Huawei box does not have the problem.
    I work in Software Dev and anytime we get reports of issues, the first things we ask are, was it OK before, if so when did the issue start and then we ask what's changed.
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

But it hasn't started since the last software update, some people were reporting it previously. My own box was doing it. But hasn't since the last software update. That's what puzzles me.
    edited 24 November 2014, 10:31AM
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

I've only had my box a couple of weeks. For the first few days it was fine. then early last week i saw the issue. The odd failed 'part' recording and the playback stopping after a couple of mins and then running OK when started again.
    Since Friday pretty much all of my recordings have failed.
    Also the responses to the remote have become sluggish.

I can't explain why yours is fixed. It could be down to the number of channels, whether you have Sky movies or Sky1 or both, which Transmitter you get your freeview channels from etc
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

It could indeed. Which is why I don't see it as "obviously" a software update issue.  image
    edited 24 November 2014, 10:47AM
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

Ok, maybe the statement should be it's obviously a software issue rather than a software update. Either way, the software should be able to cope with minor changes without rendering the box useless.
    The chances are that during the dev cycle of the latest update these permutations were not tested.
    I'm also going to add the following info:
    Winter Hill Transmitter
    Total number of channels - 262
    Number of Internet channels - 114
    I also have Sky Movies boost
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

We are getting into the realms of semantics here. I just feel uncomfortable when people jump to conclusions about the possible cause of a problem.

I've been doing some testing today and these are the results of shceduled recordings:

Judge Judy (ITV3) 9.55 - recorded full programme

Jamie's comfort food (C4) 11am - recorded full programme
    Claimed and Shared (BBC1) 11am - recorded 18 seconds

I deleted the Claimed and Shared recording and set
    All Star Family Fortunes (ITV2) 11.15am - recorded 2 mins 53 secs

I deleted All Star Family Fortunes and set
    Daily Politics (BBC2) 12pm - recorded full programme

Loose Women (ITV) 12.30pm - recorded 3 mins
    It then tried to record it on ITV+1 at 1.30pm - recorded 3 mins

I deleted the Loose Women recordings and set
    Robin Hood (Sky Disney) 2.00pm - recorded 2 mins

I deleted Robin Hood

Manual record from the guide

Peter Andre's 60 Minute makeover (ITV) - recorded all of the programme (22mins as it was more than half through)
    The Doctor Blake Mysteries (BBC1) - recorded 38 seconds) and is still listed in the Recordings section as recording.

Both the above manual recordings were started within 30 seconds of each other.

• TimmyDTimmyD Member Posts: 16
    edited 24 November 2014, 11:04PM
    Nooooooooo,  I have the problem back again.  After just over a week of no problems at all it has tonight recorded just 1 minute of It was alright in the 70's on 4Seven.  Interestingly as before it still shows it as recording at the moment but the times below the programme title show 9:00PM - 9:00PM.  Come on YouView, you must have found something by now.
  • John FrancisJohn Francis Member Posts: 23
    edited 25 November 2014, 12:01AM
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

Ok, let's consider the facts. The recorders work fine for over a year, then there's a regular software update and simultaneously BT / Humax / TalkTalk machines all over the country (I'm in Belfast) develop the same fault recording different channels at different times of the day.

Do you think they could have all have developed hardware problems at the same time? No, it's the software unless, of course, all of the broadcasters are transmitting spurious embedded signals - it's got to be the software. The solution seems simple from my simplistic point of view, revert the software to the version before the problems started and see what happens. My guess is there'd be a lot of happy campers. Then fix the software update and properly beta test it this time.
    edited 25 November 2014, 12:23AM
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

an update from my side...
    Although pretty much all of the recordings I set/did this afternoon failed, the recordings set this evening a;; seem to have worked:

Come Dine With Me (C4) 5pm OK
    Coach Trip (C4) 5.30pm OK
    The Little Mermaid (Sky Disney) 6.40pm OK
    Coronation Street x 2 7.30pm/8.30pm OK
    Loch Ness Monster (C5) 8pm OK
    I'm A Celebrity (ITV) 9pm OK
    New:Gotham (C5) 9pm OK

What's different? 1 main thing.... tonight I was out and I left the box in standby ... so I was not watching any other channel nor the channel that was being recorded.
    Anyone else seeing similar?
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

OK, let's consider some more facts, there is a regular software update and many machines all over the country are NOT suddenly displaying any issues whatsoever. On the other hand, other users were reporting similar recording problems long before the latest software update.

So there clearly isn't a simple answer and it doesn't serve anyone's interests to suggest otherwise.
  • John FrancisJohn Francis Member Posts: 23
    edited 25 November 2014, 10:45AM
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

Not even a 2 bit organisation like YouView would stick out an upgrade that would wreck all of their customers' machines, but they did interfere with their own software, which had been working for me for over a year, and now it's unreliable. I didn't say that it was their latest update that did the damage, I don't have access to their change log, this thing could change every night for all I know.

It's not my job to solve the problem, I'm at the paying end of the operation, my job is to pay up every month, which I do very well - unlike YouView who still, over a year later, haven't given me (or anyone else in Northern Ireland) the facility to record channel 3. Now the bloody box won't even record the other channels with any measure of reliability.

The fact remains that they broke the system with an update and should do a rollback to repair it.
    edited 25 November 2014, 10:56AM
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

I should point out that my Talktalk Huawei box does not have the issue. Only my Humax has the issue. I am running both boxes recording the same programmes at the same times on the same channels.
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

The fact remains that they broke the system with an update and should do a rollback to repair it.

It is not a "fact," please stop saying that, you sound like a 14 year old on facebook. And your proposed "solution" is beyond comment.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

And your Huawei does not have this update. While redchiz may be right that a few people had this issue before, there has been an absolute explosion of reports of this since the latest update, so for most people, they will not have seen it before and for them it 'came with the update'. Which it undoubtedly did.

Although there may have been a hole before that a very few people fell into, I do wonder if it is exactly the same hole; and even if it is, the situation before was that a few people stumbled upon it, whereas now a significant number of people are being funnelled into it.

Obviously, had it been universal, it would have affected all the beta testers of this release, which would then never have made it out of YouView's door.

But it isn't universal, merely prevalent. Whereas before, it was only occasional.

Whatever went wrong, went wrong in this latest release. YouView really ought to think of a way of rolling this back. The problem is not so much that they can't do this - it's just a case of re numbering the earlier build to be apparently more recent than the broken release, or ought to be - but that they can't make it selective for only those affected.

Or can they? Maybe YouView should be mailing out a few USB sticks, or at least offering a download location where people can put it on their own sticks.
    These tests for COVID-19 get right up my nose.
    edited 25 November 2014, 12:42PM
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

It will be interesting to see what happens today with my Humax. I am going to schedule recordings this afternoon and then put the box on Standby to see if they record correctly again. If that works then I'll switch on tonight and see whether the scheduled recordings work again. So far that's the only link i can find for my situation.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

However you look at it, and whatever the cause, YouView's normal fairly leisurely timeframe for delivering solutions won't hack it this time. If you ARE affected, then this is not a minor problem - it renders the box so unreliable as to be useless. They need to do SOMETHING - fix it - or rollback - PDQ!
    edited 26 November 2014, 12:34PM
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

All of my Scheduled recordings failed yesterday whist the box was on - i.e. not in standby.
    Also, i noticed that series record of Come Dine With Me also recorded stuff on Channel 4+1 and 4Seven (or at least tried to and only got up to a couple of mins too). Same scheduled recording on my Huawei box only recorded Eps on Channel4 (which is what i would expect).
    edited 29 November 2014, 11:20AM
    redchiz said:

How is it obvious?

I have not had any failed (part) recordings since Tuesday. All of my scheduled recordings have worked fine.
    Any one else?
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Couple of questions I've thought of here:-

When a recording is cut off at three minutes, what does the screen display of the programme show? Does it show the true full duration, or does it show only a three minute duration?

If it shows the full duration, what happens if you type in, say, 5 or 10 to try to jump it past the stopping point?

I guess the answers may be different for programmes that won't ever go past three minutes, as compared with those that do on a retry.
  • CliveRapleyCliveRapley Member Posts: 6
    edited 29 November 2014, 12:46PM
    Roy1 said:

When a recording is cut off at three minutes, what does the screen display of the programme show? Does it show the true full duration, or does it show only a three minute duration?

If it shows the full duration, what happens if you type in, say, 5 or 10 to try to jump it past the stopping point?

I guess the answers may be different for programmes that won't ever go past three minutes, as compared with those that do on a retry.

For me the programme that records for just two minutes is just that only two minutes and is reported as such. The second issue where the programme is reporting the full length and only plays  two minutes. After the two  minutes the on screen report states programme end. I cannot jump forward beyond the reported end (two minutes) I have to restart to get the full length of playback.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    Roy1 said:

Thanks Clive, a very illuminating description.

Alas, I have no idea what, if anything, YouView can do with this information, but It's certainly a question I would want to ask if I were investigating this, and I'm surprised they haven't.

Though perhaps they have already reproduced the bug and seen this for themselves? - we have had no progress reports on how far they are along with bottoming this.

From the above, though, I might wonder out loud if the 'two minutes but works on replay' is not so much a less severe issue with a different, if related, cause but rather an example of a bug in the bug, where the box is trying to set the two-minute cutoff, but only partially succeeding.

On my OU T241 Systems Behaviour course, I learned that you can sometimes tell as much, if not more, about a system from its failure modes as you can from its operating modes, and this may apply here.
  • CliveRapleyCliveRapley Member Posts: 6
    edited 29 November 2014, 2:51PM
    Roy1 said:

I wonder as well why the silence from Youview. From layman's point of view they are not starting with a completely new code but something that has evolved with (I hope) a fully documented  change control. The error is recent (it would seem) so it would surly be a fairly straight forward task to check the change control and see what has been changed since the code displayed this bug? I would have thought that it would be a case of investigating the changes one at a time rather than the whole code library.  Also the code would I assume be divided into sections affecting different areas of the box which again must narrow down the search area.  But that's all guess work on my part so maybe it does take weeks. 
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    I think my box may have just succumbed to this fault but it might be slightly different. Recording strictly come dancing (don't judge) and we were watching live as usual. About 30 mins in the screen froze during the highest scoring dance. I tried to start watching the recording instead but I have just 30 minutes of black screen, so I continued to watch live. I stopped that recording and started a new recording.

At the end of the show, I checked the second recording, just 1 minute of black screen. Then I noticed there was no buffer being recorded either. I have now performed an 8 second reset which brought back the buffer and also now the first recording plays all the way up until the freeze. The second recording was a failure.