Scheduled recording only recording 3 mins then stops.

Comments

• churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 7:27PM

This will be a VERY boring comment for anyone who didn't start using computers back in the '60s!

We had a payroll system that ran on tapes. Each week the new week's data was added via punched card, and the employee record had another sub-record added to it. One week we were calculating the payroll and it just stopped in the middle of the tape - no error - apparently a normal finish - but it hadn't processed all the records. A dump was duly done, and yours truly went off to a quiet corner to try and work out what had gone wrong. As it was a program that I was not responsible for, but one that we just used to do the payroll, I was starting from scratch.

To cut a long story short, as more and more sub-records got added over time to each record, one employee who had had a lot of sickness and overtime ended up with a very long record. In those days you had to specify the length of the buffer in the program into which the records were sequentially read for processing. This guy's record exceeded the length of the buffer, but what was more incredible was that the portion of memory overwritten by the too-large record included the file control table AND the data that had overwritten that had, by chance, set a valid end-of-file flag. Accordingly, the program thought it had reached the end of file and terminated normally.

Which is a very boring and long-winded way of suggesting you check buffer sizes etc. etc.

It does appear a very similar problem - the system THINKING something has ended - even when it shouldn't.

I'll go back to sleep now.... 

Hope my post helped you get a good nap, Roy (chuckles)

I've dealt with some REALLY weird and difficult to find bugs in the past - the weirdest being one on a computer with multiple active terminal users which would periodically just crash and reboot itself for no apparent reason. The problem was finally tracked down to someone entering a line at a terminal of precisely 37 characters - killed it every time. Not 36 - not 38 - both OK. 37- instant death. On that system it was very rare for anyone to enter a line that long, which was why it was so random and apparently without any obvious reason. But, of course, with computers there is ALWAYS a reason. Finding what the reason is relies on a combination of analysis, experience, intuition, guesswork and sometimes, just sometimes, off-the-wall thinking.

It appears that this problem is this sort of problem that is really difficult to track down, which was the reason for my off-the-wall post.

We can both go back to sleep, now, Roy....

Roy... ROY..... oh he's nodded off again.....
  • Andrew HughesAndrew Hughes Member Posts: 5
    edited 21 December 2014, 4:33PM
    Are we close to any sort of resolution on this problem. Ihad seen periodic and I would say occasional occurences of a scheduled recording only working for a couple of minutes but in the last couple of weeks the frequency has increased to pretty much every other recording not functioning correctly.

I am using a Youview box supplied through BT and according to the settings the software is up to date. As it is the box in terms of recording anything is pretty much useless. We have just over 50% of the space available and I have already been told by BT that the only option available to me was to do a 'reset' which will result in loosing all of the existing recordings.

Humax DRT1000 - software 20.9.0 / 2.8.18 last updated 27 Nov 14.

Looking at this forum it seems that this problem has been ongoing for several months now and no sign of a resolution?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    @Andrew Hughes

I would not carry out a reset in the hope that it will cure this software issue with the latest release without specific confirmation from YouView.

Which I do not think will be forthcoming.

Since a reset will simply reload the poisoned chalice of a software release which is causing this problem in the first place.

All over Britain, affected YouView owners are rushing out to buy alternate PVRs (the old way, where you have to travel to a big building with plate glass windows and queue up to give someone money whereupon they give you a box, and you have to take it home yourself. And the most keys you get to press are four on a little number pad) so they can be sure to capture all those Xmas specials.

See, though, if you can score yourself a used TalkTalk box at your local CeX or Cash Converters. Being some way behind the curve, and so not having the latest software release, has its advantages :-)
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

I would not carry out a reset in the hope that it will cure this software issue with the latest release without specific confirmation from YouView.

Since a reset will simply reload the poisoned chalice of a software release which is causing this problem in the first place.

All over Britain, affected YouView owners are rushing out to buy alternate PVRs (the old way, where you have to travel to a big building with plate glass windows and queue up to give someone money whereupon they give you a box, and you have to take it home yourself. And the most keys you get to press are four on a little number pad) so they can be sure to capture all those Xmas specials.

See, though, if you can score yourself a used TalkTalk box at your local CeX or Cash Converters. Being some way behind the curve, and so not having the latest software release, has its advantages :-)

... a software release which is causing this problem in the first place.
    I don't want to restart old hostilities here, but we do not know that this is indisputably the case.
    edited 22 December 2014, 12:04AM
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

Software or not I have a black plastic brick under my TV that doesn't work and given the impending festivities no ability to record the Queens speech whilst watching Santa Claus the movie on the other channel. Sadly I don't see either youview or BT rushing around to do anything to resolve it. Comments from youview on this thread which is their community seem to be few and far between.
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

I agree totally, Roy. It is 99% certain that this is a software problem (but not indisputably), and it is pointless trying anything until YouView state clearly (or indisputably) that it has been fixed. As Andrew says, in the meantime the YV box, for many, is an unreliable brick. I have lost all faith in YouView's ability to deal efficiently with their own products. To have this sort of debilitating problem which renders the box not fit for purpose hanging around for this length of time is not only unacceptable, it is unprofessional.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

Given YouView's general approach of only stating specifics when they are sure (and not announcing things in advance), in this instance I would doubt we will get confirmation of the underlying issue until a fix is announced. That said I had very much expected a fix by now (which is really what most people affected are primarily interested in regardless of whatever the technical details and explanation may ultimately turn out to be). Whilst one could speculate the numbers of people affected by this issue are a very small percentage of the customer base (which may in part be contributing to the difficulty in pinning down the pattern of the issue and where the solution then lies), given the size of the customer base and the at times crippling impact of this issue, this is undoubtedly YouView's top technical priority. Being that it will be their top priority, that the issue appears to have existed now for about 2 months, but that there is no news of a fix yet that makes me rather concerned. It would seem surprising to hear of a fix rolling out over the Christmas period (a typical change freeze period) so it looks like this issue will persist into the new year now. Lets hope for those affected it becomes a happy new year very quickly!
  • Bob FitzsimmonsBob Fitzsimmons Member Posts: 9
    edited 21 December 2014, 11:16PM

I had multiple failures on Sunday 14th December, either recordings only being done for 1 or 4 minutes, or faulty playbacks which run normally if restarted. I had the same issues after the 31st October update. It seemed to sort itself out after mid November but the faults returned on Sunday.
    Since then all recordings and playbacks have been fine.
    I have purchased a second Panasonic recorder as a backup. If sod's law works the Youview box will now behave!

Youview box has got worse! Now every recording stops after a couple of minutes of playback. The whole recording is thankfully there for most recordings. One "new" observation is that it is affecting recordings made months ago. This would suggest that the issue is the software during playback and not recording.
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

@redchiz

I don't at all mind a ding-dong, although given we are so close to Christmas, I think it ought at least to be a ding-dong merrily on high :-)

I am aware, as are YouView, of the conjecture that reports of this issue observed before the latest update have the same root cause, and this may or may not be the case.

But even if this is the case, then it is indubitably true that the latest update has put many more people into the path of this issue, and I am using 'caused by the latest release' as shorthand for this and the other possibilities.

However, some idea of a base level of this issue, prior to the latest update, would be welcome if you have the citations.

I found two mentions on the TalkTalk forum - one person getting the issue on one programme 'Bomb Girls' only, and one with a one-minute recording in a large spate of failed ones. And no-one chiming in with a 'me too' on either.

Neither is necessarily the same issue of which reports have exploded after this latest update, both here and on the BT YouView forum, with 'me toos' in significant numbers.
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

Happy Christmas, Redchiz.
    My statement was "It is 99% certain that this is a software problem".
    Given that this problem has not been around from day 1 we can assume that it is not a hardware problem - no change there.
    Given that the only PVRs affected are YouView boxes we can assume it is nothing to do with external factors such as signal, etc.
    Given the fact that those with the problem are using various different broadband providers we can assume this is not the cause of the problem.
    Given the fact that I believe this narrows the problem down to a non-hardware, non-provider, non-signal problem unique to the YouView box, do you deny the fact that this HAS to be a problem in the base software, whenever it was introduced?
    I now intend taking a break to enjoy the Christmas festivities and hope that you manage to enjoy eating your Christmas fayre, without consuming too much sand. Merry Christmas all.
  • Steve15Steve15 Member Posts: 7
    edited 21 February 2015, 12:37PM
    Perhaps the threat of a complaint/report to BBC Watchdog might force Youview into taking this problem seriously ? Seems to work with other companies, an interview with Ann Robinson is worth recording - if I could !

I wish I'd found this forum earlier as I've now been without a working DTRT1000 since ~16th Nov.
    I get failed recordings and Plackback has finished on my older recordings.
  • Colino GreenColino Green Member Posts: 27
    edited 21 February 2015, 12:37PM
    Steve15 said:

Perhaps the threat of a complaint/report to BBC Watchdog might force Youview into taking this problem seriously ? Seems to work with other companies, an interview with Ann Robinson is worth recording - if I could !

I wish I'd found this forum earlier as I've now been without a working DTRT1000 since ~16th Nov.
    I get failed recordings and Plackback has finished on my older recordings.

Not sure if it helps, Steve, but I reported having this problem for the very first time a few days ago. Rather painfully, to avoid having to buy a new non-Youview PVR (when I was all set for a trip down the shops to by a Humax HDR-2000T), I did a factory reset on my DTR-1010 and lost a few unwatched recordings.

Since the factory reset, it has been fine. It also reports a software update on 18th December (the same day as I did the painful factory reset).

There are some posts on here that suggest that a factory reset does not help, but in my case, I have been able to successfully record and playback all attempted recordings done since the factory reset. It may help at least some people to do this.

That said, I have always been very suspicious of the way the Youview software deals with overwriting previous hard disk sectors and deleting recordings since I first got the box in August 2013. I fear that this problem will come back sooner rather than later, so ditching Youview (and the Youview boxes locked down nature with lack of control over updates and lack of explanations of updates) and getting a more controllable Freeview box will very much almost certainly happen over the next few weeks.
    edited 24 December 2014, 5:31PM
    Our box is definitely getting worse and now seems to have developed a new issue - when you pause live tv it doesn't actually pause or atleast it does on screen but the moment you press resume then the programme immediately jumps to the latest point of the actual broadcast and not the point where you pressed pause.

BT won't discuss anything else until you have done a factory reset and lost everything already recorded.
  • John WestcottJohn Westcott Member Posts: 15
    edited 30 March 2015, 10:35AM
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

I started working in IT 50 years ago and have spent most of my life investigating technical issues and I am not totally convinced of your arguments.

The oft suggested remedy of resetting the YouView box, if it actually works, could suggest corruption of the hard drive as the reset presumably reformats it and/or reloads the same version of the software.

The fact that writing to the hard drive stops although the box still thinks it is recording and that some attempts to playback successful recordings only work at the second or subsequent attempts, also could point to the hard drive.

Also if it is a software problem why does it sometimes recover without any intervention? It is possible that subsequent attempts to record may successfully rewrite the affected disk area.

Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

Whilst I admit that I haven't programmed for years - when I was programming, if there was an error writing to disc then an error status was returned. In the early days the programmer needed to check the status, and take appropriate action if an error occurred. Some programmers did not code to check error statuses, thus allowing things to pass unnoticed.

I would have thought, but can't be sure as I have no current knowledge, that modern systems MUST have the capability of detecting errors in reading and writing data to disc. In which case either the errors are not happening, not being detected, or not being checked for. The fact that the problem has only arisen recently, and with numerous users simultaneously, tends to negate the likelihood that multiple hard drives, which had previously operated without problems, have all simultaneously developed faults. On balance therefore, the evidence is still in favour of an obscure problem with what seems to be complex and flaky software.
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

There's the rub though, the issue did exist prior to the latest software update. And for me has not occurred since then. I'm glad at least that others seem to have persuaded you to shift your position from "99% certain" to "on balance." 
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

Sorry to disappoint you, Redchiz, but I am still 99% certain the cause is software..... The phrase 'on balance' merely means 'after considering everything'. 99% still comes within the bounds of the phrase 'on balance' - just at the extreme 'certainty' end of the scale between impossibility and total certainty - when all available facts are considered..... IMHO
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

That's fine, luckily for the rest of us it doesn't matter what you think.
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

Sentences including words like 'pram' and 'throw' and 'rattle' come to mind...... ;-)
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

There you go, making assumptions again, merry Christmas!  Smiley
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

I'm sure we all agree everyone is welcome to have an opinion or offer some speculation or assessment in the absence of a complete set of facts and a solution (which is what we are all doing here) ;-)
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

Good effort at oil on troubled waters as always Keith. I agree, although perhaps those of us who prefer not to speculate should not be constantly harangued by those who do. I like my theories fully-baked.  Smiley
  • Steve15Steve15 Member Posts: 7
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Thanks Colino...a factory reset is my next and probably only course of action. It's a shame as I have so much recorded over the last 6 months or so, specifically to watch over Xmas.
    (Having already tried the software reloads in the maintenance mode - thanks (Roy? and all) for the tip. It did work for a day - recording and playback, unfortunately next day and subsequent reloads have still left me with failed recordings and no playbacks)

I still would like to see a 'spokesperson' from Youview explaining to Anne why they have done nothing for 5 weeks and left so many customers with a brick, whilst she completely ignores their answers!

To top it off, I dusted off my previous DVD recorder, and it's also refusing to read anything from the hard disk !

My VHS Video recorder is somewhere in my loft - looks like it may a Xmas just like when I was young!
    Steve15 said:

Thanks Colino...a factory reset is my next and probably only course of action. It's a shame as I have so much recorded over the last 6 months or so, specifically to watch over Xmas.
    (Having already tried the software reloads in the maintenance mode - thanks (Roy? and all) for the tip. It did work for a day - recording and playback, unfortunately next day and subsequent reloads have still left me with failed recordings and no playbacks)

I still would like to see a 'spokesperson' from Youview explaining to Anne why they have done nothing for 5 weeks and left so many customers with a brick, whilst she completely ignores their answers!

To top it off, I dusted off my previous DVD recorder, and it's also refusing to read anything from the hard disk !

My VHS Video recorder is somewhere in my loft - looks like it may a Xmas just like when I was young!

Steve, your issue sounds a bit more severe than the "3 minute" problem particularly referenced here. Just to confirm, you have a number of recordings which you cannot playback at all? When you go to a particular recording and press OK does the expanded view show the programme length as expected? What actually appears on screen when you try playback?
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

I think it is a reasonable assumption, Redchiz, to interpret your phrase "it doesn't matter what you think... " As deliberately insulting, despite your later post. I will, in future, refrain from addressing any comment you choose to make, when haranguing myself, or others, for holding opinions contrary to yourself. It will not stop me from posting them, whether you like it or not.

And, Keith. Lack of any information from YouView is guaranteed to engender speculation, especially given the length of time that has passed since the problem first surfaced. I agree that there is a complete lack of facts, and no apparent solution. But as you say, everyone is welcome to have an opinion - whether others care what they think or not.

Over and out for CHRISTMAS! Enjoy yourselves, all!
  • Simon BeaverSimon Beaver Member Posts: 3
    edited 22 December 2014, 1:48PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

The ongoing investigation for this issue is absolutely top priority for us and I will update when we have more information. If you are still experiencing this problem please continue to post feedback on the affected programmes and your experience so we can feed this back to our test teams.

Thanks,

Phil

The problem seems to be getting worse. All recordings this weekend failed with only 2 minutes recorded. These were all on BBC1 and 2 HD and included both Strictly shows on Saturday, The Apprentice on Sunday, and MOTD2. A new behviour manifested itself on Sunday. I tried to watch MOTD2 while the program was still recording. The start and end times looked fine but the recording said 'Playback Ended' immediatley - with no recorded picture at all. Then I found the pause/rewind functions wouldnt work. After much cursing I deleted the MOTD2 recording as it was pretty useless and lo and behold, pause and rewind started working again.
    Can someone from YouView give an update on progress pls??
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

Hi redchiz

I still patiently await your provision of a link which describes someone having this problem before the latest update, in a manner that can be unequivocally (as that is the standard of proof you seem to have nailed your colours to) ascribed to the same issue and no other. YouView forum, BT forum or TT forum, I don't mind which..
    Steve15 said:

Good luck with getting that old analogue device to 'see' digital, though :-(
    Roy1 said:

@Andrew Hughes

It happened to me, but not since the last update. I have no idea why this should be the case.

And I am not asking for any particular standards of proof, merely opining that I remain sceptical about individuals positing solutions on the basis of speculation which they then argue as proof. IMHO etc. etc.

So, what is this pale yellow substance, flaked with blue specks, with a faintly noisome aroma to it?

@churchwarden, whatever you do is fine by me. But before you break my heart by ignoring me, can you put me out of my misery by clarifying this comment you made earlier?
    I now intend taking a break to enjoy the Christmas festivities and hope that you manage to enjoy eating your Christmas fayre, without consuming too much sand.
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    @John Westcott

Turning your question round, if it's a hardware problem, why does it sometimes recover without intervention? Broken hardware usually stays broken, apart perhaps from overtemp situations, but broken software sometimes will have you skipping round the bug.

And if it's hard disc corruption, why always within a minute or so of starting? The law of averages would suggest that hard drive glitches be equally distributed over the length of the recording.

I can see, however, that the disc cleanup you get in a full reset may take away some of the starting conditions for this bug, whatever it is; but you will have scotched the snake, not killed it, and once the disc gets messy again, the problem may well recur.

But if you look at the history of this issue, it started very soon after the latest update. For a lot of people, all of whom had this update. That they all had disc issues, or hardware issues, so suddenly and coincidentally, I simply don't believe.

But YouView, in the person of Phil, have suggested on page 1 of this thread that a factory reset is unlikely to cure the problem.

I guess from some of the reportage we have had that it might bring temporary relief, but it's an aspirin at best - though it might keep the headache at bay until the proper fix is found.

However, the other thing that occurs to me is - is this bug like 'son of BFIS' in that it came with the software update for some people, who have never since been free of it, while for those who did not get it with the update, it has not, and will not, manifest itself later?

As I haven't had the issue so far, am I safe from it, as long as I don't do a repeat update - or even if I do, perhaps - or might it be lurking round the corner for me, ready to strike at any moment?

Food for thought.....