Scheduled recording only recording 3 mins then stops.

Comments

• Andrew HughesAndrew Hughes Member Posts: 5
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Early days yet but fingers crossed my problem may have been solved. I followed the instructions from Phil to enter maintenance mode and do a reset without loosing existing recordings. Now about 36 hours ago and so far so good, fingers very much crossed.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 9:55PM

Early days yet but fingers crossed my problem may have been solved. I followed the instructions from Phil to enter maintenance mode and do a reset without loosing existing recordings. Now about 36 hours ago and so far so good, fingers very much crossed.

Hi Andrew,

I'm glad this issue has subsided following the reset, we are continuing to investigate the cause and ultimately establish a permanent solution for this.

Thanks,

Phil
  • Bob FitzsimmonsBob Fitzsimmons Member Posts: 9
    edited 24 December 2014, 3:38PM

I had multiple failures on Sunday 14th December, either recordings only being done for 1 or 4 minutes, or faulty playbacks which run normally if restarted. I had the same issues after the 31st October update. It seemed to sort itself out after mid November but the faults returned on Sunday.
    Since then all recordings and playbacks have been fine.
    I have purchased a second Panasonic recorder as a backup. If sod's law works the Youview box will now behave!

I have resorted to a full factory reset, losing all recordings. It is now a matter of seeing what happens to subsequent recordings.
  • Steve15Steve15 Member Posts: 7
    edited 24 December 2014, 6:19PM

Hi,
    Following Andrew's success, I did a maintenance internet reset keeping recordings and it seems to have worked again for me (then again it did previously for just over a day, then subsequent resets failed to sort the 'playback has finished' and failed recordings). So far it successfully recorded a timed recording of itv 3:40You've been framed at Christmas (non HD), the box was was on/active st the time.
    Fingers crossed too for it lasting over Xmas!
    Steve
  • DavidSim1DavidSim1 Member Posts: 11
    edited 24 December 2014, 6:31PM

Our box is definitely getting worse and now seems to have developed a new issue - when you pause live tv it doesn't actually pause or atleast it does on screen but the moment you press resume then the programme immediately jumps to the latest point of the actual broadcast and not the point where you pressed pause.

BT won't discuss anything else until you have done a factory reset and lost everything already recorded.

To confirm - we have the same problem.
  • Robs RiftsRobs Rifts Member Posts: 2
    edited 26 December 2014, 11:01AM

Hi. My box started doing this last week. Started on a few channels and now it's becomig a nightmare. After doing a Google this forum popped up. It's obviously a known issue. Any idea on the software fix?!
  • paulo.fosterpaulo.foster Member Posts: 27
    edited 3 January 2015, 11:40AM

Been okay for last two weeks after doing a retune. However tonight it has recorded 2 mins of Eastenders. It has also stopped playback after 3 mins of play of old recordings that have been on the drive girl over a year. If I press play a second time then it plays fine.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    @Robs Rifts, glad that Google has pointed you in the right direction. If you read a bit more on here about this issue you will see that it is not entirely straightforward and that YouView are very much on the case and working on a solution. There is not much more that can be said at this stage, if you can add some detail to your own set of circumstances and whether or not you have tried any of the suggested remedies and any success/failure in that respect it will all be helpful.
    edited 24 December 2014, 10:31PM
    8 recordings in a row failed today. Going to try maintenance mode now and will report back.
  • John PowellJohn Powell Member Posts: 2
    edited 26 December 2014, 12:16AM
    We have the same problem, as have many more (see other threads). The resets have partial success and then reoccur. Our problem started this week. We have a Humax box supplied by BT and it has worked normally for 18 months.
  • Bryan YardyBryan Yardy Member Posts: 2
    edited 25 December 2014, 9:54PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

The ongoing investigation for this issue is absolutely top priority for us and I will update when we have more information. If you are still experiencing this problem please continue to post feedback on the affected programmes and your experience so we can feed this back to our test teams.

Thanks,

Phil

We have a BT YouView box and have had the same problem. It started in November, did a factory reset and all was well until Christmas Day and problem came back - grrrr. Did another factory reset but problem remains. Sort it out please or I will be abandoning YouView!!!!
  • Jonathan KempJonathan Kemp Member Posts: 2
    edited 25 December 2014, 11:36PM
    BT box also with the same issue. Probably about 50/50 to whether a recording works and that's the ones I've checked.
  • paulo.fosterpaulo.foster Member Posts: 27
    edited 25 December 2014, 11:25PM

BT box also with the same issue. Probably about 50/50 to whether a recording works and that's the ones I've checked.

Set up downtown abbey to record on itv at 9. I checked it after a couple of minutes and it said it was still recording even though it stopped after 1 minute. I then tried to record it again and it said it was recording. Even though it wasn't and did I want to stop it, so I did and was able to record the rest of it and do far it has recorded up to 85 mins. They really need to sort this out otherwise it will become a huge problem for their marketing and sales and heads will roll as customers will stay away and BT will pull out.
  • Chris RaineyChris Rainey Member Posts: 4
    edited 25 December 2014, 11:36PM

Add my name to list. Over the past week 1 minute playback and truncated recordings of 1 minute have become the norm. The recordings seem to work better on standard rather than HD but it is very poor. Can we go back to the previous release.
  • Matt GregoryMatt Gregory Member Posts: 1
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Same problem here. Christmas day and nothing recorded more than three minutes, anything on bbc bbc1 hd, channel 4. Good signal quality.
    If I wrote software as bad as this, I'd be fired...
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

Same problem here. Christmas day and nothing recorded more than three minutes, anything on bbc bbc1 hd, channel 4. Good signal quality.

If I implemented software as bad as this without a credible and operable backout plan, I'd be joining you in the dole queue :-(

Mistakes happen, in software as in everything else, and that is an inevitability that needs to be planned for.

And not having an escape route is inexcusable.

Phil, Sanj, when this is all over and you have a fix for this issue, I want to hear also that going forward updates will be optional and require the box owner's permission, and that there will always be a backout path that any owner can take in case of need.

And no, the one does not obviate the need for the other.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • CliveRapleyCliveRapley Member Posts: 6
    edited 29 December 2014, 9:32PM

I agree, we used to have a fully documented change control and could always step back easily. To issue something that is suspect then force customers to suffer is not good practice. We would quickly revert and investigate problematic firmware off line and not let the customers live with a problem. We would have soon been out of business if we had handled an issue the way Youview seem to be doing. They should also be aware that the people who have found this site and have actually commented would be only a very small proportion of the people experiencing this issue.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM

I have been praying for some time now that none of the YouView technical management team ever gets taken on to work on any systems even remotely connected to Air Traffic Control......
  • Robs RiftsRobs Rifts Member Posts: 2
    edited 26 December 2014, 12:23PM

I'm having the same problem as everyone else here as i explained the other day but like Roy stated, mistakes do happen. If i had a penny for every time my friends sky and Virgin tv gets a problem i'd be loaded by now and living in Barbados somewhere on a yacht (ok too much info) They pay a huge monthly fee too! My retail you view box has been superb since the day I bought it. Never had a problem until this issue but i'm sure You view will get this sorted. I wouldn't hold my breath with Humax direct though. I've called them in the past and all they tell me to do is the things i've done and then bail out on the phone after i've told them they have an issue here. I will await your fix You view, but until then thanks for saving me a fortune in subscription based tv packages with channels that i don't need or want....
  • Dan NewmanDan Newman Member Posts: 2
    I am experiencing all these same issues on the new BT Humax+ Box. We have also found that if a programme is recording and you then play that programme from the beginning whilst it is still recording, the recording will stop! Does anyone know who to get the maintenance mode up on the newer BT Plus box?

I am experiencing all these same issues on the new BT Humax+ Box. We have also found that if a programme is recording and you then play that programme from the beginning whilst it is still recording, the recording will stop! Does anyone know who to get the maintenance mode up on the newer BT Plus box?

http://support.youview.com/articles/S...
  • Chris RaineyChris Rainey Member Posts: 4
    edited 26 December 2014, 4:24PM

Fortunately on our box you can restart the playback. I found that recording in non HD mode is a bit more reliable,
  • Simon YoungSimon Young Member Posts: 1
    edited 26 December 2014, 5:16PM
    Had the same problem here. A few different 1 min recordings over the last few days, including Doctor Who on bbc yesterday, Room on the Broom today. Also had some recording that worked ok. Tried a retune but problem remains. Trying factory reset (keep recordings) now. Very frustrating - just swapped from Sky, thinking about going back...

PS - we have a Dtr-t2100 box
  • Bryan YardyBryan Yardy Member Posts: 2
    edited 30 December 2014, 11:08PM

This is a complete joke.. My YouView box won't record anything for more than a minute after several factory resets. Now seeking alternative to YouView.
    edited 27 December 2014, 7:08PM
    I did the factory reset (keep recordings) and the box is now recording successfully (so far!). However, I now have the playback problem - stops after 3 mins but can be restarted) and live pause no longer works.

IPlayer on Youview is also now buffering repeatedly and sometimes gives up altogether. Swiching to my Roku box I've no such problems.
    edited 27 December 2014, 7:08PM
    DavidSim1 said:

I did the factory reset (keep recordings) and the box is now recording successfully (so far!). However, I now have the playback problem - stops after 3 mins but can be restarted) and live pause no longer works.

IPlayer on Youview is also now buffering repeatedly and sometimes gives up altogether. Swiching to my Roku box I've no such problems.

Gone again. 5 / 7 recordings part recorded plus all the other problems remain. First failure was a recording of Rob Brydon on Channel 5. It then tried on +1 - that also only part recorded.
  • StevieboyStevieboy Member Posts: 51
    the whole issue is very interesting.... after pretty much every scheduled recording failing, mine has been fine for approx. 3 weeks.
    It is an issue that only seems to effect the Humax boxes though. I run the Huawei box on Youview as well and all the scheduled recordings worked fine. 
    Stevieboy said:

the whole issue is very interesting.... after pretty much every scheduled recording failing, mine has been fine for approx. 3 weeks.
    It is an issue that only seems to effect the Humax boxes though. I run the Huawei box on Youview as well and all the scheduled recordings worked fine. 

The Humax boxes have the latest release of the software, while the Huaweis are still on the previous release.

Various alternative theories to the issue being due to changes in the latest software release have been posited, but I tend to give them small credence.
  • Alex BestAlex Best Member Posts: 3
    edited 28 December 2014, 9:02PM
    After a few good recordings since the last failure our box has failed to record two attempts of Call the Midwife. One managed 30 minutes, it then seems to have itself realised and tried to record again but only managed 1 minute. Are we any closer to a fix yet? This seems to have been going on for some time now...
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 April 2017, 1:02PM
    Given this problem is continuing to run and we still have no announced progress I have taken a further look back over the various threads that relate to this issue. Whilst this topic remains the main thread covering this issue there are several threads where it is covered and it is also generating a long thread on the BT forum: Some things we do know are:
    • The broad issue is some recordings only play for 1-3 minutes but if played again will often play through completely. Some recordings however will only play for about 3 minutes even after trying further times. The issue can be intermittent (i.e. may not affect all recordings and/or may even come and go from day to day/week to week). [The issue is included as item 37 in the consolidated list of bugs and issues]
    • The Humax boxes specific YouView software update version 20.9.0 began rolling out on 23/10/2014 (see the consolidated list of updates and changes for some details).
    • The earliest reports of this recording/playback issue date back to 29/10/2014.
    • Some users have reported that whilst this problem started after 29/10/2014 they have recordings that pre-date that point in time which also now exhibit this issue (see for example Paulo's report here)
    • Affected users all report they are using a Humax YouView box (running the 20.9.0 software) but spread across the T1xxx and T2xxx boxes and retail and BT customers.
    • No Huawei TalkTalk boxes are affected and in particular a user (Stevieboy) with both box types is only seeing the issue on the Humax box.
    • benwiddowson has reported he has a BT supplied T2100 and a retail BT T2110, the T2100 has the issue but the T2110 does not. Apart from the supply route these 2 models are believed to be identical and in this case are in the same end user environment yet one is exhibiting the problem and the other is not.
    • There are on the order of 1 million Humax YouView boxes of which over 90% were supplied via BT. The majority of these boxes are the T1000 model.
    • The issue has been reported for T1000, T2000 and T2100 boxes and is presumed to affect all the Humax models (T1000, T1010, T2000, T2100, T2110).
    • The issue whilst clearly existing is not fully communicated to all the support channels which only adds to the frustration (e.g. BT support operatives not all aware).
    • The current advice is to try playing the item a second time, try an 8 second reset/restart, try a retune or failing all of those try a maintenance mode reset (preferably option 4 that keeps the recordings). Some users have reported such actions clearing the issue although others have also reported the problem then recurring at some point later.
    • YouView have indicated the problem is affecting a very small proportion of users but without any specific quantification of likely numbers of people/boxes affected.
    • Across the reports and me toos on the YouView forum plus the posts on the BT forum, to date the number of reported incidences appears to be on the order of 120 boxes. It is however rather difficult to assess how this might scale up across the entire Humax YouView box user base.
    Although there are no official details from YouView as to the (suspected) cause of this issue, given the timing of the start of the issue (soon after the rollout of the 20.9.0 software began), the nature of the issue (3 minute issue rather than at arbitrary points in a recording) and the fact it is affecting several Humax YouView box models, the prevailing consensus on the forum is this is a software (related) issue. The fact this does not happen to all recordings for those affected and is not affecting all users suggests there are likely to be several factors in play which when combined result in the issue for specific recordings on specific boxes. Some have speculated it could be a hardware issue (or even a signal strength issue) although that seems less likely given the coincident timing, although perhaps there could be a hardware or signal element that combines with a primary software issue for those affected.

Somewhat more speculatively, one could also note:
    • YouView will use version control for their code (e.g. git)
    • they could surely add a simple device management settings page option to allow/deny automatic updating combined with a suitable if statement around the relevant code to enable/disable the nightly automatic update checks
    • they could provide a previous version of this software via download to USB pen disk with this option enabled by default to allow such users to revert their boxes
    • downgrading/rolling back could come with its own risks if misapplied
    • cannot simply rollback/downgrade all users since previous software version will not provide the necessary functionality for the BBC connected red button, Netflix and Connect TV channels
    • YouView will be in a software freeze period over December/Christmas and also with low staff levels available
    • going forward they should introduce the user option of denying auto updating even if they strongly discourage its use (since it could lead to other problems or confusion when someone enables it and forgets this and then does not get necessary fixes or updates that could mean they experience different issues)
    • (if it does not already exist and is simply not being used) they should also have in place (should it ever be needed now or in the future) a robust means to offer a download for a downgrade to mitigate such an issue in the future and utilise it if they cannot fix a serious issue such as this within a reasonable time frame
    Looking back at the 3 most significant bugs/issues suffered (prior to this issue) since the YouView launch in summer 2012 we have:
    • channel loss issue (item 1 in the consolidated list of bugs and issue): only affected Humax boxes and only some users dependent on transmitter conditions; took about a month to pin down the issue and further month to develop, test and deploy the fix (with a short period before that where affected customers could receive the fix on a USB pen disk and then via a download). At the time this issue was a major crippling problem for those affected and understandably caused a lot of frustration.
    • long/double boot issue (item 11 in the consolidated list of bugs and issues): this affected all Humax boxes on startup from completely off or high eco standby. As such it primarily affected high eco mode users and could be worked around by putting the box in low eco mode. The issue was inconvenient but not overly serious and was resolved in 2 months.
    • BFIS (item 12 in the consolidated list of bugs and issues) - whilst boot fail, invalid signature is a valid report of a failing box in this instance it was some sort of software issue resulting in this unrecoverable state for Humax boxes. It affected very few people but was terminal where it happened. It took longer to resolve but was closed out within 4 months.
    In particular in the case of the channel loss problem YouView were able to capture streams for boxes in affected areas to use for testing (but this did not initially reproduce the problem in the YouView lab but they were subsequently able to reproduce the issue in the Humax lab and then the YouView lab) and also setup test boxes in such affected areas running additional diagnostic software.

Overall it took YouView about a month to isolate the issue and a further month to work through a fix and get it deployed. This was an issue early in the life of the YouView product and was reported by about half as many people as the current issue (in the 2 month period it was a live issue). At that time the YouView forum had a little over 1000 members compared to the over 6500 currently and the Humax YouView box numbers were also probably only at 15-25% of the current levels.

I'm not aware of any statement after the channel loss issue that gave a retrospective assessment of the proportion or total number of users affected. One could speculate from the limited details available the channel loss issue affected about 5% of all Humax boxes whereas the current issue might actually only be affecting about 1% of Humax boxes. However, given the significantly larger number of Humax YouView boxes supplied to date compared to back in late 2012 the current issue is likely to be affecting a similar numbers of boxes if not more than that early issue. Given there is a significant lack of data to base such figures on it is of course very possible this is either an over or under estimate of the true scale of the problem. As such it is very difficult to put any degree of confidence on the likely number of affected boxes and whether it is on the order of 1000 (about 0.1%), 10000 (about 1%) or (much) higher.

The long/double boot issue and BFIS although also significant had significantly less impact given that one could be worked around (or endured for the time it existed) and the other was thankfully very rare (although of course very serious if you were unlucky enough to experience it).

Overall against these previous significant issues (all dating back to late 2012/early 2013) this current issue rates as at least the equal most significant and widespread crippling issue the YouView system has experienced. In these previous cases it has generally taken a month of so to isolate the issue and a further month or so to develop, test and then deploy the fix (although as seen in the BFIS issue it can take longer).

No doubt the Christmas period both increases the spotlight on this issue whilst impacting on YouView's ability to speedily pin it down and work through to a deployed fix.

Optimistically one could hope YouView's past experience (e.g. the criticism they received when they did ultimately try to keep the customers updated on progress on tracking down the channel loss issue and fix deployment) and established mode of operation are what is resulting in almost no significant information on progress being yet made publicly available, but that they have privately made significant progress that they will accelerate to the point of an announcement in early January followed by either a general update with fix or a targeted update (via a download or failing that a download for a locked rolled back software version to mitigate the issue whilst further work on a fix continues).

My understanding is YouView are operational tomorrow although they will no doubt be on a skeleton staff as are many places between Christmas and New Year. As such whilst we may hope to hear from YouView staff I doubt we will hear anything definitive about the time scale for a fix roll out until the new year.

In the absence of any clear announcement in the very early new year that confirms a fix exists and the schedule for its roll out (with it potentially being made available as an early test download for those that wish to get it most quickly) then those affected really do need to (belatedly) be given more clear information so they can better understand why they continue to have crippled boxes and no offer of a roll back/downgrade to work around the current issue (even if they then temporarily lose the newest functionality of the latest updates in order to regain a stable system).

Here's looking forward to a new year's resolution from YouView to resolve this issue promptly now and provide a positive start to the next year of development :)