Arqiva launches range of channels on YouView

Comments

• stormystormy Posts: 1,011Member ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 8:24AM
    Joe2 said:

More content. Great to see extra linear channels delivered from the internet. Obviously it would be great if they behaved like standard channels and were recordable and all that- for another time maybe? - Anyway well done Youview very promising .

Ah well as long as its all recorders, which with the statement "Freeview HD" which Youview isn't. Then thats something I can live with. I thought we were missing another feature being on Youview. :)
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,011Member ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 8:24AM

Good to see Youview adding additional services. Now I know why my box keeps on telling me Channel Listings have changed. Time to un-hide all existing hidden channels & them re hide all those unwanted ones. A quick question to Youview software engineers, could there be a quicker way to achieve this by any chance.

Ekk, is that the only way to get rid of the banner? :/
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Posts: 147Member
    edited 20 March 2017, 4:24PM
    Got around to watching the new channels for the first time this evening. But why do we have the press the Red Button to watch them? Don't need to do that, using my TV.

But, I am of course, happy we can watch this extra channels at long last!
    Oh anyway to remove the "RT DOC" icon that now shows on RT all the time? Did try the green button, like you do on BBC channels, but it did not work.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:56PM

Good to see Youview adding additional services. Now I know why my box keeps on telling me Channel Listings have changed. Time to un-hide all existing hidden channels & them re hide all those unwanted ones. A quick question to Youview software engineers, could there be a quicker way to achieve this by any chance.

Hi lloydoflondon, if you are asking for a quicker way to un-hide all existing channels and then re-hide them, then there isn't another way to do this other than what is currently available. You can quickly unhide all hidden channels by pressing the red button (restore channels) when you are in the edit channels mode. However this won't stop the box telling you when there are changes to your channel list. 

If you are asking for an easier way for the 'Channel listings' message to disappear, then that message should just disappear on its own after a short time. 
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:56PM

Got around to watching the new channels for the first time this evening. But why do we have the press the Red Button to watch them? Don't need to do that, using my TV.

But, I am of course, happy we can watch this extra channels at long last!

Hi Gordon, with the current implementation of channels delivered via IP, this was the best way to deliver these channels to our customers. This is the first phase of an on-going project and we'll keep you posted with any further developments. 
  • StephenStephen Posts: 664Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 10:55PM

Oh anyway to remove the "RT DOC" icon that now shows on RT all the time? Did try the green button, like you do on BBC channels, but it did not work.

You can cheat it by pausing very briefly - the MHEG engine is switched off when you're chase-playing live tv.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,424Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Since a couple of people have commented on the pain of unhiding all the channels and then going through hiding the majority again, I thought it may be worth highlighting Piers' old tip for working around this whereby one can search for a programme on a hidden channel, select it and press OK, and enter your PIN, at which point the individual channel becomes unhidden. Of course for such a tip to be any use you first need to know, or have a way to find out, the name of a suitable programme to search for but you can probably do that by using a suitable TV guide or listing service. I've not tried it recently but it presumably still works :)
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,789Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM
    Keith1 said:

Since a couple of people have commented on the pain of unhiding all the channels and then going through hiding the majority again, I thought it may be worth highlighting Piers' old tip for working around this whereby one can search for a programme on a hidden channel, select it and press OK, and enter your PIN, at which point the individual channel becomes unhidden. Of course for such a tip to be any use you first need to know, or have a way to find out, the name of a suitable programme to search for but you can probably do that by using a suitable TV guide or listing service. I've not tried it recently but it presumably still works :)

I tried just that approach for Vintage TV. Sadly it didn't work, it's not really a hidden "channel" as such, just a slot in the EPG and thus not searchable for programming.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,424Member, Champion mod
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM
    Keith1 said:

How disappointing. Now if only we had a feature rich cleanly implemented channel list management feature perhaps all this functionality would be nicely covered ;-)
    Maybe YouView should update the Channel overview and add an Internet channel section. Since I am, more than sure more free IP channels, will be added at some point.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,993Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    In settings there is a section which shows the number of channels and internet channels. There is no indication of any internet channels on my retail box. Should this be updated with the introduction of the connect channels?
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Posts: 367Member
    edited 11 December 2016, 10:58AM
    Joe2 said:

In settings there is a section which shows the number of channels and internet channels. There is no indication of any internet channels on my retail box. Should this be updated with the introduction of the connect channels?

I think when it says the number of internet channels it means the ones from BT and Talk Talk in the 400's and 500;s on the EPG.  The channels in the 200's are classed as data channels.... I think.... 
    edited 2 December 2014, 10:07AM
    Joe2 said:

Thanks.Thought it might be something like that.
    edited 2 December 2014, 10:21AM
    Joe2 said:

It would be good to see these channels evolve into proper recordable channels without the need to press the red button etc as others have touched on. Had a look at the larger range of connect channels on my freeview tv (not Youview) and there are some where you open up a portal to an larger selection of channels. This seems like a very messy way of doing this in the guide. For most of us they are going to remain hidden away out of sight.
    I hope that when Youview introduce more connect channels like this, that they don't use that system, instead having access in the app / ondemand section where it will be more intuitive to expect a selection of multiple channels , rather then buried away in the guide.
    I feel the guide should present just one channel in each allocated slot.
    Joe2 said:

Where would they all go, though? This isn't really a YouView issue as I see it, it is rather a case of YouView bringing existing Freeview functionality to their boxes.
    edited 2 December 2014, 10:57AM
    Joe2 said:

For me a portal to multiple channels would be best presented by an app/
    On demand player.
    I personally had no idea that there were all these different channels buried away in the guide under one channel number.
    It may well not be on the road map and just a simple port over of what was already available on freeview hd,however Arqiva and Youview have a chance to ( in my opinion) make these portals to multiple channels more visible and accessible by making them into a dedicated app.
    Single connect channels in the guide make perfect sense to me, but portals to multiple channels are messy and not what I expect in the guide.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,813Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Joe2 said:

redchiz has it right.

That is how these channels are provided on any sufficiently recent FreeView HD device which supports them, as a single channel number leading to a portal where you can make further selections, and YouView has to be the passive provider of the identical look and feel, or at least as close as they can get.

And with the existing nonsense where Players I use, like NetFlix, are bumped off the first page of players by players I will never use, providing programmes in a language I don't even understand, one of them, the last thing I want is for choices easily accessible from the EPG to be replaced by separate choices accessible only with difficulty from On Demand, and which won't even solve the issue you raise of not knowing what is on/available in the nested channels anyway.
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    edited 2 December 2014, 11:52AM
    Joe2 said:

Being able to organise the ondemand players is another issue that needs to be addressed. But I have to disagree with you here on the portals in the guide.
    For me the guide is a simple direct graphic of what is on now and next ( and 7 days back) which presents very simply this information for the channel selected, including a short description about the program. Its simple and it works. But if there is a portal to multiple channels then this system no longer works effectively. It becomes a bit of a rabbit warren.
    I think the viewers and the content providers would be better served with an app in this case. We are already used to opening apps like netflix and nowtv for extra content, this is where I would expect to find lots of extra content. Don't get me wrong - I do want single channels in the guide, the system works for that. But portals to multiple channels are not represented well in the format of the guide. My expectation is to find that portal in an app in the ondemand section( the order of which should ideally be able to be reorganised by the user). Anyway that's my feeling on it.
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM
    Hi all,

More news from Arqiva. They've now launched SonLife on channel 239 via the red button also. Read their press release for more information.
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    Praise the Lord!
  • MattManMattMan Posts: 277Member
    edited 17 July 2017, 10:31AM
    Redchiz I think they have taken you comment down, but it did make me laugh. 
    Great news, that another channel as been added. But not one, I would ever watch!
    Joe2 said:

I guess you have never seen or tried such channels on a FreeView HD TV then?

Yes it's a rabbit warren, but until FreeView change the standards here, it's important that YouView don't try to water it down by merely implementing a different, but no better, rabbit warren.

Hmm, something oddly familiar there. Why does it remind me of Art Garfunkel? :-)
    MattMan said:

Redchiz I think they have taken you comment down, but it did make me laugh. 

I pulled it myself actually, on reflection I figured that not everyone would appreciate it!
    edited 2 December 2014, 2:47PM
    Joe2 said:

Ideally I would like to see each of these channels presented separately in the guide, so that they could be recordable in future( and treated like any other channel). Not grouped together within a portal. So that they can be found easily, and consistently presented like all other channels in the guide.
    If they are to be grouped together in a portal then I would prefer the app route. It makes more sense to me, and seems more in keeping with the Youview experience. But i dig that u have a different view, on swapping one warren for another :) my opinion is from someone who hasn't really used these channels yet, so I'm not in the habit of expecting portals in the guide. I guess I'm more conditioned by using Youview and it's on demand sections.
    Joe2 said:

The thing is that it's not really YouView 's gig.
    edited 2 December 2014, 3:02PM
    Joe2 said:

I get that. It just struck me that it could be implemented better( in my opinion). It feels like a hang over from freeview tv from a few years back.
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Hello Youview. Is there any chance of presenting these channels in their correct aspect ratio? I'm looking at vintage tv stretched into 16:9 from 4:3 It would be good if it was consistent with the rest of Youview. Thanks
    Joe2 said:

Hello Youview. Is there any chance of presenting these channels in their correct aspect ratio? I'm looking at vintage tv stretched into 16:9 from 4:3 It would be good if it was consistent with the rest of Youview. Thanks

Hi Joe

Congratulations on the very first "I've got stretchyvision on YouView and I don't like it" posting to grace these hallowed portals :-)

Watching Vintage TV, you can see all their interminable adverts, promos and links presented in accurate 16:9, so it is clear that it is Vintage TV doing any stretching - from 4:3 (12:9) surely, not 14:9? - that you see.

But I see it on this channel on my Samsung HD TV also, so it's how Vintage TV choose to broadcast, and not a YouView-only thing.

I'm guessing they went stretchyvision to satisfy all those people who feel cheated when 25% of their screen real estate is going unused, or fear screen burn if it does.

I guess they figure purists don't watch dodgy 80's videos seeming shot on home VHS camcorders :-)

Made me feel nostalgic checking on this though. The last time I saw text that pixel-y on a screen that shimmer-y was when I proudly plugged in my new Sinclair Spectrum.