Arqiva launches range of channels on YouView

124»

Comments

• JoeJoe Posts: 2,000Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 October 2015, 3:18PM
    Roy1 said:

Is it just my imagination, or are we getting louder and louder while YouView themselves are getting quieter and quieter?

Just backtracking through the relevant discussions on the development of unicast IP channels on Youview.

Hope that there has been some progress over the past 5-6 months? Looking forward to proper IP channels for all, that are well integrated into the EPG, and behave like regular dtt channels.

From looking at the 200 range available presently, It seems to me that there needs to be fresh quality content to boost this area, and raise awareness of the IP channels range.

Big players like nowtv would help this, also mainstream IP channels like Nick has suggested, itv3hd, itv4hd, and channel 5 HD. etc who knows maybe a unicast version of BT sport?

The current offerings are so niche that the uptake and viewing figures are probably very small. I imagine a lot of people are unaware that these channels even exist?

I hope developments are positive at the Youview end regarding the development of this technology. I look forward to hearing or seeing signs of progress. Are we closer to having a time table for the introduction of this technology yet?
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Thought It would be helpful to repost an up to date list of the IP channels available as posted by Sanj in another thread. As I understand it these have been available for a while and are not new.
    Here is the current list of all the Arqiva Connected Red Button Channels that work on Youview:

QVC Beauty - Channel 35
    Rocks & Co 1 - Channel 40
    Jewellery Maker - Channel 76
    RT - Channel 135
    CCTV - Channel 226
    Sonlife - Channel 239
    Motors - Channel 240
    Vintage TV - Channel 242
    ABN TV - Channel 252
    Passion TV - Channel 253
    Showcase TV - Channel 254
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:57PM
    Joe2 said:

Thought It would be helpful to repost an up to date list of the IP channels available as posted by Sanj in another thread. As I understand it these have been available for a while and are not new.
    Here is the current list of all the Arqiva Connected Red Button Channels that work on Youview:

QVC Beauty - Channel 35
    RT - Channel 135
    CCTV - Channel 226
    Sonlife - Channel 239
    Motors - Channel 240
    Vintage TV - Channel 242
    ABN TV - Channel 252
    Passion TV - Channel 253

Thanks for updating the thread :)
    edited 25 November 2015, 3:47PM
    Joe2 said:

QVC Beauty - Channel 35
    RT - Channel 135
    CCTV - Channel 226
    Sonlife - Channel 239
    Motors - Channel 240
    Vintage TV - Channel 242
    ABN TV - Channel 252
    Passion TV - Channel 253

You're welcome :)
    Poor Roy has been packing and unpacking his bags in Florence, not knowing whether he's coming or going:

https://community.youview.com/youview...

All settling down now thankfully :)
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    Joe2 said:

QVC Beauty - Channel 35
    RT - Channel 135
    CCTV - Channel 226
    Sonlife - Channel 239
    Motors - Channel 240
    Vintage TV - Channel 242
    ABN TV - Channel 252
    Passion TV - Channel 253

Make that YouView boxes

All the IP channels work on YouView for Sony Android TVs.

I suspect because YouView are piggybacking on some Sony code on the TVs, because all the claimed technical and licensing issues with IP channels on the boxes seem mysteriously to have evaporated on the TVs :-)

Now, where did I put that suitcase?
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    Joe2 said:

QVC Beauty - Channel 35
    RT - Channel 135
    CCTV - Channel 226
    Sonlife - Channel 239
    Motors - Channel 240
    Vintage TV - Channel 242
    ABN TV - Channel 252
    Passion TV - Channel 253

Perhaps its under the HTML-5? No piggy backing required. ;)
    edited 17 January 2016, 12:34PM
    Joe2 said:

Hello Youview. Is there any chance of presenting these channels in their correct aspect ratio? I'm looking at vintage tv stretched into 16:9 from 4:3 It would be good if it was consistent with the rest of Youview. Thanks

Looks like Vintage TV has finally done the honourable thing and are presenting their videos without distortion. 4:3 material is no longer stretched across the screen, it now has black bars either side and a picture that is watchable.Not sure how long they've been doing this, but I was pleasantly surprised to find this the other night.
    I haven't been able to watch before, as the distortion was so off putting. This is the first of these IP channels in the 200 range that I will actually watch now. Quality could be improved, but it's an entertaining channel when you want a bit of music nostalgia - and it's now actually watchable.

Well done to Vintage TV for listening to feedback.
    edited 14 February 2017, 3:07AM
    Not sure how these IP channels work under the hood, but the BBC have implemented high quality live linear streams in their beta iplayer on Youview ( since January 2016) The quality of these BBC streams is excellent, it's HD ( depending on broadband speed) and for the first time I'm watching an IP stream which to my eyes is inditinguishable from HD broadcast. It's a massive step forward for unicast IP delivery. For instance watching the extra broadcasts of Wimbledon and other events by IP stream will in future be a quality HD experience.

I hope that the BBC's improved IP delivery can be utilised by all unicast IP broadcasts on Youview.

Although channels like Vintage TV are mostly old SD, there could be quality improvements to get rid of all those digital artefacts, that remind the viewer we're still watching a lower quality IP stream.
  • skillerskiller Posts: 290Member ✭✭
    edited 22 January 2016, 12:29AM
    Joe2 said:

Not sure how these IP channels work under the hood, but the BBC have implemented high quality live linear streams in their beta iplayer on Youview ( since January 2016) The quality of these BBC streams is excellent, it's HD ( depending on broadband speed) and for the first time I'm watching an IP stream which to my eyes is inditinguishable from HD broadcast. It's a massive step forward for unicast IP delivery. For instance watching the extra broadcasts of Wimbledon and other events by IP stream will in future be a quality HD experience.

I hope that the BBC's improved IP delivery can be utilised by all unicast IP broadcasts on Youview.

Although channels like Vintage TV are mostly old SD, there could be quality improvements to get rid of all those digital artefacts, that remind the viewer we're still watching a lower quality IP stream.

I agree with your sentiments, but as for this:
    The quality of these BBC streams is excellent, it's HD ( depending on broadband speed) and for the first time I'm watching an IP stream which to my eyes is inditinguishable from HD broadcast.
    Perhaps my old hardware (T1000) has something to do with this, but using the pause/RW/FF/skip functions on an IP stream (whether it's "Watch Live" or on demand) is, for me, an extremely painful experience. I mean performing any of these actions means having to stare at a swirly for about 10 seconds (literally, I've timed it) before playback resumes each time.

As a simple example, when I wish to skip past the adverts on an OTA recording, I would normally press >>| four times with a possible |<< once if I've skipped too far. That's 5 button presses, which in total take me literally LESS THAN ONE SECOND to perform. The same 5 button presses on an IP stream would take me approximately ONE MINUTE.

Quite often if I'm watching something and want to briefly skip back a few seconds because I've not heard something properly, I will stop myself when I remember that it's iPlayer* and it isn't worth the hassle.

There is also the issue of RW/FF only blindly winding forward or back, rather than true picture search like you have with OTA broadcast/recordings.

The PQ may be very good, but those issues need to be resolved before IP delivery becomes an enjoyable experience for me.

*This, of course, applies to the other catch-up services too.
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM

I'm sorry Joe but one cannot compare the world class BBC iPlayer with the Arqiva range of channels on Freeview as each individual channel and app is responsible for its own output and quality (or not as in most cases).
    edited 22 January 2016, 12:40AM
    Visionman said:

I'm sorry Joe but one cannot compare the world class BBC iPlayer with the Arqiva range of channels on Freeview as each individual channel and app is responsible for its own output and quality (or not as in most cases).

Yes agree, I'm merely pointing this out as an (the)example of how to deliver quality IP streams by unicast . The BBC have done an amazing job in recently improving the quality of their live streams.
    edited 22 January 2016, 12:29AM
    Joe2 said:

I don't seem to suffer the same problems with RW / FW on iplayer . Maybe it is the more powerful hardware using the Dtr-t2000? I also have fast fibre connection. I have noticed occasional buffering, and at one point a lowering in quality which quickly improved.
    Just for an update - these are the new and current IP Freeview channels available via YouView* -

QVC Beauty - Channel 35 
    RT - Channel 135
    Kiss Me TV 207
    Proud Dating 208
    Connect TV 1 225 - CLOSED 
    CCTV - Channel 226 
    Connect TV 2 227 - CLOSED
    Connect TV 4 234 - CLOSED
    SBN - Channel 239 
    Motors - Channel 240
    TVPlayer - 241 - CLOSED 
    Vintage TV - Channel 242 
    ABN TV - Channel 252 
    Passion TV - Channel 253 

*Via a YouView box. Sony YouView TVs get the full suite in the 200s range (via Sony Android software). But not the closed ones obviously.
    Visionman said:

Totally agree with that. Its a marvel.
    edited 22 January 2016, 12:50AM
    Visionman said:

In fact I'd say the BBC's improved quality IP streams have pushed this particular area forward significantly. Not having experienced the isp's multicast system, (which I'm sure is excellent), this is the first time I've seen true quality unicast linear IP.

It heartens me to know that this quality can be achieved with the unicast delivery. It maybe 720p but the bitrate is much better.
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Motors TV has been removed and discontinued on Freeview (ch71) but is still broadcasting via IP only on channel 241.
    edited 4 February 2016, 11:49AM
    Visionman said:

Motors TV has been removed and discontinued on Freeview (ch71) but is still broadcasting via IP only on channel 241.

I did wonder why it was broadcast in 2 places?
    Given the choice as things stand currently ,I'm surprised it's opted to just broadcast on the 200 IP range. Why not drop the IP channel and go for the freeview slot with greater visibility, access , & functions? Or do they know something we don't?
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 765Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2016, 11:55AM
    Visionman said:

All smart TV's (ie with an internet connection) deliver IP channels in the 200 range. As the number of these type of sets increase, it makes sense to deliver content via IP TV. It's more cost effective for a channel of this type than paying loads for a Freeview channel. :-) 

John.

Motor TV had 0.02% of the total viewing share in December

http://www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/monthly-viewing-summary?_s=4
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    Visionman said:

All Freeview Plus certified Smart TVs made after 2012, and some made in that year.

But there are several 200-range IP channels our 2011 Samsung Smart TV can't get :-(
    edited 4 February 2016, 2:20PM
    Visionman said:

@Roy its still a bit of a mess this accessibility to channels in the 200 ip range. It really needs a unified approach to encourage more new content. Its supposed to be a cheaper way of broadcasting, but if channels have to pay to be on each EPG ( like the various iterations of freeview, and then new epgs like Youview, its never going to take off. Split audiences & greater costs of delivery. Time to get some common sense into this area of the industry.

I think we need a unified approach from Youview and Freeview play to set new standards for delivery of these channels. If they work separately its going to get more and more fragmented and costlier for the broadcasters. Youview shares the freeview channels, for the same reason they should share a unified delivery for the 200 ip channels. I don't think Youview on their own are going to do much for these IP channels. 
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 765Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2016, 11:55AM
    Visionman said:

Roy,

I have a 2015 model Samsung TV which seems to have all the currently available channels in the 200 range.

Can you say which channels yours is not getting?

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    Visionman said:

@Roy its still a bit of a mess this accessibility to channels in the 200 ip range. It really needs a unified approach to encourage more new content.
    Blame Arqiva. Their the numpties who introduced MHEG-IC, which can be available on one piece of kit, but not another.

I think we need a unified approach from Youview and Freeview play to set new standards
    Its nowt do do with them. These standards are set by Arqiva and Freeview, as are the (regulated) EPG costs. So no know pays YouView, Freeview Play or Joe Squiggly box to be on their EPGs, as they all use the Freeview EPG. :)
    edited 4 February 2016, 9:20PM
    Visionman said:

Think I got all your points apart from:

" So no know pays YouView, Freeview Play or Joe Squiggly box to be on their EPGs, as they all use the Freeview EPG. :)" ?

Well c'mon freeview & Arqiva!Are you trying to kill this sector??? Work together and you'll all be better off for it. After all You're both invested in freeviewplay & Youview.
    Visionman said:

Anaglypta

Not offhand, and I'm not there to check at the minute, but certainly 245 Planet Knowledge. And about half the others.
    edited 10 February 2016, 2:20PM
    Visionman said:

Recently done a bit of reading around the subject of IP delivery. Mostly on the BBC internet blog.

Many people may know this already , but the BBC is transitioning through HLS delivery of IP content to eventually adopt mpeg's Dash for delivery of all IP media. Mpeg's dash is an open industry standard which freeview play will transition to as well.

Can Youview confirm whether the Arqiva IP channels will move from their current HLS delivery to mpeg's dash? I presume the BBC are already using mpeg's dash for their live restart streams?
    edited 11 February 2016, 5:57PM
    Visionman said:

It would be really good if we could have a special blog article published by Youview on the development of this area of IP unicast delivery.

For instance answering some of the questions that have arisen here, such as:

1. What standard/s is Youview moving to in unicast IP delivery? Will they follow the BBC in a move to MPEG dash?
    2. Will the channels eventually have the same functionality as DTT channels? With record , pause, RW, FW functionality?
    3. Will unicast IP channels develop the live restart functionality similar to the BBC?
    4.Will there be a unified freeview IP channel delivery with freeviewplay, as is already the case with DTT channels?
    5. Will we see the removal of the need to use the red button to access these channels?

It would just be good to have some indication about future plans and directions in this area? At the moment we have nothing much to go on. I think it'd be good for Youview to keep interest and a buzz around the platform with insightful blog articles into areas of the platform. Just be a little more transparent with the users. Perhaps another question and answer published paper ?
    As noted above, Motors TV had been removed and discontinued on Freeview (ch71) wef 1st Feb, but is still broadcasting via IP only on data channel 241. Motors TV has now been removed and discontinued on Sky as well and now only remains on Virgin Media. They could be in trouble.
    edited 8 July 2016, 2:38PM
    Vintage TV has jumped ship to become a proper freeview channel. It's no longer avaialble via the Arqiva IP channels.

Makes me wonder what future there is for these Arqiva IP channels? There's not a lot mainstream going on there now, it's looking quite deserted. With the BBC streaming excellent broadcast quality unicast IP via their apps and redbutton, are the Arqiva IP channels coming to an end? Without innovation it seems like a deadend technology.

Let's hope there is something remarkable around the corner :)
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,016Member ✭✭
    edited 3 March 2017, 6:12PM
    With the move to HTML5 are we likely to see any of the other Freeview streaming services likely to be available in the future?
    stormy said:

With the move to HTML5 are we likely to see any of the other Freeview streaming services likely to be available in the future?

Hi stormy, if you mean will this change make YouView compatible with the services it can't currently get the answers no. But the channels themselves seem to be gravitating towards HTML5 anyway.
124»