Audio distortion on TalkTalk internet channels

matthew thompsonmatthew thompson Posts: 2Member
edited 7 August 2017, 12:17AM in Archived Posts
I've got a continual problem with audio on TalkTalk internet channels.

I have an early Human box supplied by BT (TalkTalk agreed to provide TV service without shipping a Huawei box) and after a while on Internet channels the audio starts to flutter.

It takes between 20 and 60 minutes for it to become really noticeable.

To temporarily resolve I change up and down one channel to put me back at the channels again.

It doesn't seem to affect recordings.

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,207Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Touch the standby button for just over 8 seconds, when not recording and not about to, and let the box soft reset.

Does that bring any improvement?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi Matthew - Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue with the audio on IP Channels. This is an issue we aware of and are currently looking into. As you've noticed the work around is to change the channel and go back again.

It would be great if you could give us some information to help with the investigation of this issue.
    • What Internet Channels have you noticed this on? Are any of them HD Channels?
    • Box Make / Model (Settings > System Information > Device Information)
    • Software Versions (Settings > System Information > Software Versions)
    • Are you connected to the TV using SCART or HDMI?
    • If HDMI, what audio format are you using? (Settings > TV Signal & Quality > HDMI Format) 
    • What type of audio system are you using? i.e TV Speakers, Amplifier etc
    Can you also let us know if trying Roy's suggestion of a soft reset prevents the issue from re-occurring for you?
  • matthew thompsonmatthew thompson Posts: 2Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi Guys,

Soft resets don't help - I do enough of those as it is and I'm not going to do it while I'm in the middle of watching something, the box is too slow to boot. The channel change workaround is better than a reboot.

Channels: Discovery, Sky 1, Sky Movies Comedy and others not HD
    Box Make & ModelHuman DTRT1000, Variant 80B08500
    Software Version:Mfr 20.9.0, Compontent 2.8.18, Platform 1234, SIP 1401021
    Connection:HDMI
    HDMI Audio Format:Surround
    Audio System:Yamaha YSP-800 Surround sound bar connected through Sony Bravia TV's optical out

As an additional piece of information - I believe that another potential workaround may be to pause the feed for a few seconds and ensure that you're not watching true live TV. I watched about an hour of a sky movies channel without distortion recently this way.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

Hi Guys,

Soft resets don't help - I do enough of those as it is and I'm not going to do it while I'm in the middle of watching something, the box is too slow to boot. The channel change workaround is better than a reboot.

Audio System:Yamaha YSP-800 Surround sound bar connected through Sony Bravia TV's optical out

As an additional piece of information - I believe that another potential workaround may be to pause the feed for a few seconds and ensure that you're not watching true live TV. I watched about an hour of a sky movies channel without distortion recently this way.

I bow to Sanj's superior awareness of this as a known issue.

Best let YouView/TalkTalk determine and address the fault, which a mere software reset will bounce off ineffectually :-(
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:56PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks Matthew - I've passed this information on. The pause workaround is very interesting. I'm sure our Test Team will think so too. I'll update you on this issue when I can. 
  • Philip2Philip2 Posts: 10Member
    edited 20 May 2015, 5:30PM

Hi Guys,

Im also getting this on talktalk boost channels. Its really annoying. Any update ?
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,622Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Same here, I've learned to live with it and just up/down channels for a quick fix as mentioned earlier.
    edited 23 July 2015, 7:22PM
    Sanj said:

Hi Matthew - Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue with the audio on IP Channels. This is an issue we aware of and are currently looking into. As you've noticed the work around is to change the channel and go back again.

It would be great if you could give us some information to help with the investigation of this issue.

• What Internet Channels have you noticed this on? Are any of them HD Channels?
    • Box Make / Model (Settings > System Information > Device Information)
    • Software Versions (Settings > System Information > Software Versions)
    • Are you connected to the TV using SCART or HDMI?
    • If HDMI, what audio format are you using? (Settings > TV Signal & Quality > HDMI Format) 
    • What type of audio system are you using? i.e TV Speakers, Amplifier etc
    Can you also let us know if trying Roy's suggestion of a soft reset prevents the issue from re-occurring for you?
    Is there any update please
    edited 23 July 2015, 7:24PM
    Sanj, its been a while now is there any update ?

It happens with both HDMI and SPDIF audio connections. I have found that pausing the channel and then unpausing fixes the problem. I'm guessing the Hard disk is kind of buffering the feed so it somehow sorts the audio issue out.
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Posts: 296Member
    edited 7 August 2017, 12:17AM
    I too get the same sound issues. Using the G4 Humax (BT supplied) box with the Talk Talk IPTV channels. Drives me mad. Only occurs when watching live, not recorded, programmes. Have used the switch channel work around. Not thought of pausing & unpausing, give that a go next time. More prevalent on some channels than others. Hopefully the new BT software update (21-50-10) will cure this, as this has been discussed on BT forum
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:25PM

I too get the same sound issues. Using the G4 Humax (BT supplied) box with the Talk Talk IPTV channels. Drives me mad. Only occurs when watching live, not recorded, programmes. Have used the switch channel work around. Not thought of pausing & unpausing, give that a go next time. More prevalent on some channels than others. Hopefully the new BT software update (21-50-10) will cure this, as this has been discussed on BT forum

The new SW update did not resolve the issue of stuttering/staccato sound with the Talk Talk IPTV channels (using a BT G4 box). Have tried the one second pause work around when watching these (Disney Channel - school holidays is my excuse) and the problem is resolved. This is far more preferable work around than switching to a non-IPTV channel during ad breaks.
    I'm assuming the G4 has problems writing to disk the audio & video when viewing live TV. Have noticed it occurs more with incidental background music/laugh tracks after about 30 mins. Not on all stations, Sky channels uneffected, Discovery & Disney the worst offenders. These are just my obsevations, others may experience different instances.
    edited 7 September 2015, 8:00PM
    Just had a software update today 07th September 2015. Will see if the problem has been fixed.
  • Emma DavenportEmma Davenport Posts: 2Member
    edited 10 September 2015, 8:05PM
    Just updated mine too - nope still doing it!!! Arghhhhhhh
    edited 10 September 2015, 8:16PM
    Yes I'm still having the same problem. Spoke to humax who blamed my Internet. Don't think so with a 75mb fibre connection. Will call them again now armed with the information that others have the same problem with different Internet providers.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 881Member ✭✭
    edited 7 August 2017, 12:17AM
    Philip - are you perhaps targetting the wrong manufacturer - Humax supply their own retail and BT badged Youview boxes but not as far as I'm aware the Talk Talk ones.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,622Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    zulu17 said:

Philip - are you perhaps targetting the wrong manufacturer - Humax supply their own retail and BT badged Youview boxes but not as far as I'm aware the Talk Talk ones.

Nothing to do with the manufacturer, it seems to be an occasional TalkTalk affliction regardless, has affected various boxes see above.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    zulu17 said:

Hi zulu17

There are reports above from lloydoflondon about having this problem with a Humax box on TT.

And others seem to be having it with the full kosher TT package including the Huawei box.

Accordingly, I don't think any manufacturer is to blame, and this is an issue either for what TalkTalk are outputting, or for how YouView is handling it in their software, which those two protagonists need to sort out between them.
    edited 10 September 2015, 9:35PM
    zulu17 said:

I have a retail humax. Not a talktalk one. The talktalk Huawei one I had before without the recording feature (no hard disk) didn't do this.
    edited 10 September 2015, 9:42PM
    zulu17 said:

All the boxes noted above are made by humax. Perhaps talktalk seem to have tailored their service to their own Huawei boxes only. But I'm sure I have read that bt customers have had similar problems with humax boxes. I believe it's an issue with how the humax writes to disk. If I pause for a second and resume play the problem goes away which indicates to me the time buffer allows the humax to work properly. Could be the youview software or either the humax
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,886Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    zulu17 said:

This isn't a hardware problem philip, the Hewi's get this glitch as well. The problem is at source.

Zulu17 - all YouView boxes are interoperable and can be used on any of the six current platforms. Even the remotes can be used on different makes. Nifty. :)
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:25PM
    zulu17 said:

As with Philip's answer above. I think it's more to do with when writing to disc. Pausing for 1 second & then pressing play sorts out the problem.
    Haven't noticed the problem since the latest S'ware update. But then I'm not a heavy watcher of Disney channel.
    Reported problem on both the TT & BT forum.
    Doesn't effect recorded programmes played back at a later date.
    As above with my equipment & ISP, no change in either since my last post. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,886Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    zulu17 said:

Firmware?
    edited 11 September 2015, 6:23AM
    zulu17 said:

I didn't notice the problem with my Huawei box that could record. Maybe I was lucky.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 995Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 8:57PM
    Visionman said:
    ...all YouView boxes are interoperable and can be used on any of the six current platforms. Even the remotes can be used on different makes...
    I have a Huawei box and a BT one. The remote from one does not work for the other. It would be very surprising if it did.
    I did get quite excited when I read the above. The BT remote is far superior to the Huawei. It would have been very nice if I could have bought another BT remote to use for the Huawei. Alas not.

Also what are "the six current platforms"?
  • Emma DavenportEmma Davenport Posts: 2Member
    edited 15 September 2015, 6:55AM
    I got rid of my talktalk box because I thought it was the box  and bought a bt youview off a well known auction site - does it on the bt box too!?
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 881Member ✭✭
    edited 1 March 2017, 11:49AM

On the BT community this explanation was given on 3rd Sept.(Clearly it is refering to BT IP channel audio issues)

"The audio dropout and stuttering problem can occur very occasionally on all of the BT YouView boxes including the new Ultra HD box. It typically occurs during ad breaks, transitions and end credits when the video is static or has very few changes. This is a relatively rare problem though and I suspect most users won't even be aware of it.

Recordings are unaffected and should never exhibit any audio dropouts or stuttering. 

I'm pleased to report that we have investigated thoroughly and we have a fix in H22.6.0.

Unfortunately I cannot confirm when this will be - it may take a while as it is being scheduled with some other changes and the update needs extensive testing before being deployed.

In the meantime, if it affects your viewing there is a very simple solution - just press PAUSE and then PLAY (or REWIND and PLAY if you missed some dialogue). That will resolve the problem completely until you change channel. "

Currently we are at I believe on the Humax boxes  at manufacturer software 21.50.40 - don't know how many other releases BT or Youview have plannned before 22.6.0.
    edited 15 September 2015, 3:09PM
    IT does it all the time not just in ad breaks, transitions or end credits. It takes 15 to 20 minutes to start and then it's there.
  • Jonathan MelsonJonathan Melson Posts: 1Member
    edited 3 November 2015, 6:32PM
    I have had this problem for years too. Especially with Disney J and Fox
  • jimbjimb Posts: 995Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 8:57PM
    First reported here nine months ago and still not fixed.  :-(