Netflix Crashes at midnight

mikeymatteomikeymatteo Posts: 8Member
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in Support
I've recently been staying up watching a series on Netflix Player.
Every night the player crashes... i thought it a simple glitch until after the 3rd night I noticed that is was the same time as the two previous nights,
I'm now into the 5th night of Netflix crashing just after midnight.

Last night it was 00:03am
Tonight it was 00:02am

I've done a search and this doesn't seem to be a well known bug.
Anyone else experienced this or if you test this yourself, please let me know your findings.

Eco mode is OFF!

Comments

• mikeymatteomikeymatteo Posts: 8Member
    edited 6 February 2017, 12:06AM
    Oh, by the way...
    The picture just freezes and the box becomes unresponsive and has to be powered off at the plug.

Thanks.
    edited 1 February 2015, 12:04AM
    Midnight Number 6... Another crash. 00:03am
  • Scottie16Scottie16 Posts: 2Member
    edited 18 April 2017, 6:42AM
    i have this happen too, but then noticed my internet actually goes every night just after midnight. Have called BT now so many time for a resolution
    edited 1 February 2015, 12:51AM
    Scottie16 said:

i have this happen too, but then noticed my internet actually goes every night just after midnight. Have called BT now so many time for a resolution

Arhhh I'm with talk talk but the Internet Connection it self could be the cause.
    I will test this tomorrow night.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,931Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    This is about the time when BT used to turn off traffic shaping. Perhaps they are still doing this, and there is a huge burst of suddenly unfettered P2P clogging up the pipelines?
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    edited 2 February 2015, 12:19AM
    Scottie16 said:

first night i sit and watch the router from 00:00 and the damn thing doesn't crash! typical
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 915Member ✭✭
    edited 1 March 2017, 10:49AM
    Does your router have a event log that you can look at. The BT Homehubs  have a useful one in the Troubleshooting section of the BT Home Hub manage, I would have thought that TT  devices would have something similar.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:56PM
    Scottie16 said:

Hi Mikey / Scott - I've checked and this issue is something that we are aware of and are currently investigating. What would be very useful is if you could provide us with the following details:
    • Box Make/Model (Settings > System Information > Device Information)
    • All Software Versions (Setitngs > System Information > Software Versions)
    • Your Netflix User ID (email address used). Please do not post this here, feel free to send it to [email protected]
    I can then pass on this information to our  tech teams to help with the investigation. 
    Scottie16 said:

Hi Mikey - I haven't heard back from you yet. Are you still experiencing the issue?

If so, can you answer the above questions and also let me know the make/model of the router you're using?

Scott - It sounds like you issue is related to the Internet going out every night. So I image any player you were on would stop working at the time. Have you managed to sort this out with BT yet?

Also was there ever a time when your internet didn't go out at midnight but you were watching Netflix on the YouView box and it crashed?
  • Viv BellViv Bell Posts: 2Member
    edited 10 March 2015, 12:15AM
    Mine does this too - I am not with BT am with talk talk
  • Viv BellViv Bell Posts: 2Member
    It is not the router I am using my laptop and Netflix just crashes every night at midnight
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Viv Bell said:

It is not the router I am using my laptop and Netflix just crashes every night at midnight

On your laptop?
  • richard swaryczewskirichard swaryczewski Posts: 2Member
    Well mine has been doing this for around 2 months also and it is a pain in the butt. The youview freezes whilst watching netflix around 12am to 12:04am. same time more or less every single night. Now this cant be a coincidence. I have checked over the internet and their only seems to be a select few that it is happening too. Have any of you guys had a response to say what is going on? Please do let me know if they find a way of stopping this. Thank you
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:57PM

Well mine has been doing this for around 2 months also and it is a pain in the butt. The youview freezes whilst watching netflix around 12am to 12:04am. same time more or less every single night. Now this cant be a coincidence. I have checked over the internet and their only seems to be a select few that it is happening too. Have any of you guys had a response to say what is going on? Please do let me know if they find a way of stopping this. Thank you

Welcome to the community Richard. This is something that YouView are aware of and we are currently investigating this issue. At the moment we don't have a permanent resolution so it would be really helpful to our tech teams if you could answer a few questions.
    1. Make/Model of YouView box (Settings > System Information > Device information)
    2. Software Versions (System Information > Software Versions)
    3. Who is your Internet Service Provider?
    4. Can you also send us your email address that you used to log in to Netflix with to: [email protected]
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:57PM
    Viv Bell said:

Hi Viv - if you are experiencing this issue on your YouView box and not your laptop, it would be very helpful if you could answer the following questions.
    1. Make/Model of YouView box (Settings > System Information > Device information)
    2. Software Versions (System Information > Software Versions)
    3. Who is your Internet Service Provider?
    4. Can you also send us your email address that you used to log in to Netflix with to: [email protected]
  • Carole ShukleCarole Shukle Posts: 1Member
    edited 20 October 2015, 5:18AM

My Netflix on my iPad and on Apple TV crash after midnight.
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:40AM

Which ISP do you use? If BT, see my comments above about P2P and traffic shaping.
  • Dean MorrisDean Morris Posts: 3Member
    edited 15 November 2015, 12:22AM

i have been a Talk Talk customer for less than a month and it has happened to me on 6 occasions!!.

Hi Dean, 

Is that also happening on your iPad/Apple TV or is it on a YouView box?
    edited 30 January 2016, 3:27PM

it is through the you view box, to be honest, on the whole i am disappointed with the wifi signal quality generally. it drops out alot and seems to struggle reaching through the house. not a happy new customer :(

YouView boxes are not certified by their suppliers to operate over wifi.

It requires third party equipment to achieve this, the makers of which they will no doubt point you to.

Or possibly to the PLAs which they can supply you with.
    edited 24 November 2015, 10:00PM

still freezing the  whole box at midnight. thee box is hooked up using the ethernet cablle. its not good.
  • Michael12Michael12 Posts: 3Member
    edited 2 December 2015, 1:07AM

I'm having the same issue with viewing Netflix on my Youview box - freezes every night just after midnight and needs re-set - any advice/solutions would be appreciated!
  • Damian FreemanDamian Freeman Posts: 1Member
    edited 18 February 2017, 8:45PM
    well done to the youview team for doing absolutely nothing about this issue after having known about it for a very long time. judging by your lack of information and dodging around any definitive answer it is obviously some kind of unfixable software/hardware bug. great. just wish they would admit it. useless. this is even happening to brand new customers.
  • John25John25 Posts: 1Member
    edited 14 December 2015, 10:03AM
    My Dad mentioned he had this problem a few days ago so I stayed up specifically to see if it happened to me and low and behold, at 00:03 Netflix froze via my TalkTalk Youview box. Are there any fixes available?
  • WHUFC08WHUFC08 Posts: 1Member
    edited 11 January 2016, 12:23AM
    My TalkTalk netflix crashed every night at 12, I am going to leave TalkTalk
  • Nick WirralNick Wirral Posts: 4Member
    Still happens on my TalkTalk Youview box too. Why no fix for this after so long?
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,260Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:03PM

Still happens on my TalkTalk Youview box too. Why no fix for this after so long?

My TalkTalk netflix crashed every night at 12

Our intruder alarm reports a Communications Error two or three minutes after midnight every day (night). Could it be for the same reason?
    Hi all,

We have looked into this in the past but weren't able to reliably reproduce this issue. We reached out to customers here that reported the issue for additional information but unfortunately they haven't responded to the questions.

If you are experiencing this issue then we would find it very useful to know:
    • Make/Model of YouView box (Settings > System Information > Device information)
    • Software Versions (System Information > Software Versions)
    • Who is your Internet Service Provider?
    • Are you using Powerline Adapters or a direct ethernet cable to connect your box to the internet?
    • Can you also send us your email address that you used to log in to Netflix with to: [email protected]

Midnight is when BT turn off the P2P traffic shaping that they claim they don't do.

The resulting spike in Internet traffic probably disrupts all sorts of things :-(