Accurate Recording (AR): Sort the damn thing out..

NickNick Posts: 594Member
edited 29 September 2017, 9:09PM in Archived Posts
What's the procedure with AR going wrong - reporting, who's to blame, etc.  

A case in point; I've stopped recording and watching Star Trek TOS on CBS Action as the recorded programme *always* ends too soon.

What quality control is in place if we can't have auto padding in YouView when setting recordings?  Does anyone actually enforce the EPG data or do we the paying customers just report it when it happens and after the effect - meaning that we never get to watch our recorded programmes completely as they may/may not be missing the start or finish.

Comments

• Mike70Mike70 Posts: 40Member
    edited 10 December 2016, 5:15PM
    I totally agree. Why can't we have padding & why also can't we have time based recording available as well as programme based? This used to be how we set recordings & whilst I agree that we have moved on leaps & bounds since those early days, I would have liked to have kept the baby after having dumped the bath water! Progress is about improving something not replacing it for something that leaves out essential elements of it. Please give us more flexibility with recording settings. Apple invented the apps to shortcut a path to a URL but it's still possible to go direct to the website. Both options should be available. PLEASE.
  • alal Posts: 1,298Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    In an ideal world the accurate recording would be fine. If the broadcaster can't be bothered to fix their ar flags then we shouldn't bother to watch their programmes. If you must then you could also record the following show. Youview must be aware that you will think of this when to you buy your next pvr.
  • NickNick Posts: 594Member
    edited 27 November 2016, 7:35PM
    Sanj / Phil / Piers,
    As of today (Sunday 29th March 2015) CBS Action STILL provides the wrong end time for their Star Trek TOS programmes which means that whenever I record them it *always* ends at least 2 minutes too soon.  Either get all channel providers to fix their AR flags or build-in auto padding where 2 minutes are added to the start and end of every programme.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 2,009Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 March 2015, 5:59PM
    al said:

In an ideal world the accurate recording would be fine. If the broadcaster can't be bothered to fix their ar flags then we shouldn't bother to watch their programmes. If you must then you could also record the following show. Youview must be aware that you will think of this when to you buy your next pvr.

Yes it can't be too unreasonable to expect the broadcasters to supply the right metadata for AR? It's about time that this was finally sorted out with proper systems in place with broadcasters and Youview setting up a fail safe system for accurate record to work as it should . 3 years in and Youview should have ironed out these creases by now
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,496Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    al said:

Its nothing to do with YouView, Joe. They are a platform not a provider.
    edited 29 March 2015, 8:00PM
    al said:

i understand that it's the broadcasters who provide this information to Youview. However I'm not of the view that Youview are powerless to exert some kind of influence on the broadcasters to improve their metadata. Youview has a responsibility to make sure that there system/ platform is working well, which means making sure they get the right information from the broadcasters. What Youview can do is communicate with the broadcasters when there are problems with accurate record and let them know when corrections need to be made. Especially if there are repeated patterns of missed time recordings as Nick mentioned.

Ultimately Accurate record should "just work". The industry as a whole( including Youview) should get their heads together to make sure that it does "just work". It's obviously not a fail safe method yet. It's in everyone's interterest to make it work. I'm sure Youview could have a part to play in this. Maybe there needs to be some kind of industry standard "quality of service" to help regulate the broadcasters and make sure they provide the correct AR?
    al said:

I completely agree.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    al said:

Yes, make the broadcasters pay compensation to those who miss the beginning or end of one of their programmes due to inaccurate AR and who complain about it, on a sliding scale dependent both on the length of the discrepancy and the level of disappointment experienced.

That will concentrate their minds wonderfully.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
    edited 30 March 2015, 9:27AM
    al said:

Sorted
  • TomWTomW Posts: 496Member ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 7:35PM
    Nick4 said:

Sanj / Phil / Piers,
    As of today (Sunday 29th March 2015) CBS Action STILL provides the wrong end time for their Star Trek TOS programmes which means that whenever I record them it *always* ends at least 2 minutes too soon.  Either get all channel providers to fix their AR flags or build-in auto padding where 2 minutes are added to the start and end of every programme.

I and many others on this forum put forward a strong case for the addition of padding as the only realistic solution to this problem. The idea was derided by some and official word was received from YouView that they would not be adding padding. That was two years ago and yet the problem is STILL ongoing. I guess we were right.
  • Michael GMichael G Posts: 876Member
    I must be a complete naif. Personally I'd just complain to the broadcaster. The issue originates from them. It What's the point in shooting the messenger?

http://www.cbsaction.tv/uk/contact.php

or

https://www.facebook.com/cbsaction/timeline
    Michael G said:

I must be a complete naif. Personally I'd just complain to the broadcaster. The issue originates from them. It What's the point in shooting the messenger?

or

Because the messenger is mindlessly obeying the sender's sloppy instructions, despite being repeatedly asked to ignore them, and is therefore often cutting the top and tail off the message before delivering it? :-)
    Michael G said:

or

Ah but we've been here before... 

BT Vision used to have padding (but no more) so I suffer this problem on that and all my other Freeview recorders in the house.

At least Piers was good enough to say "No we won't be adding padding." As that leaves one in no uncertain terms.

Its a broadcaster issue. 
    edited 30 March 2015, 7:44PM
    Michael G said:

or

Yes. The ideal solution is to get AR working 100%. Ideally I'd rather not have to think about padding recordings, and taking up more recording space then is necessary on the Youview harddrive.
    So back to industry standards "quality of service", to make sure broadcasters comply. That's where the effort needs to be placed. It pretty basic stuff, the broadcasters just need an incentive to get it right.
    edited 30 March 2015, 8:21PM
    Michael G said:

or

I've written to CBS Action today using the contact us page mentioned above. Fingers crossed!
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:29PM
    Michael G said:

or

These days I usually go the "social" route, but on this one they didn't seem particularly pro-active. Hope you have better luck with their own "contact us".

Be interested to hear the outcome.
  • CMACMA Posts: 8Member
    edited 30 March 2015, 10:36PM
    al said:

trouble is who would enforce it, OFCOM ???, that toothless excuse for a regulatory body, 
    al said:

Arqiva would be the natural choice.
    edited 30 March 2015, 11:04PM
    al said:

Or a vigilante group from the Youview forum :)
  • Nigel AshleyNigel Ashley Posts: 76Member
    Well today I am finally giving up on my Youview box and reverting to my old Sagem which does everything I want except record in HD. I am then going to do some research before I waste another £200 on an underperforming box.
    Since the new season of Mr Selfridge (for my wife before you comment Roy!) I have not once had a recording run to the right length. The range is between 15 mins and 3 hours which it was  on Sunday. This means that on  the last 2 weekends, films I had set to record were not recorded because of the overun. I am frequently missing the beginning of programmes across all broadcasters and last night the box failed to record The Ark on BBC1 for no reason.

On my 6 year old Sagem I can override the EPG so I never missed a recording unless the previous programme overran, but that is quite rare.I can also order channels as I want.

I appreciate that the AR is not the responsibility of Youview but from the comments I have read on this forum over the last 2 years it is apparent that I am not alone in my experience. What is in Youview's power is to give us padding to override an unreliable system but clearly they have a different agenda and appear to have no interest in the end users.

Most if not all of the software updates over the last 2 years have been of no use to me - why would I want to change the background colour  for instance  and yet the important issues for the end users are ignored. The only useful update was being able to hide channels which wouldn't have been necessary if we could set up favourites like other TV's and boxes.

I gave up on the Android app several weeks ago because of the number of "failed" messages I was getting which on  investigation had no reason to fail. What is the point of a remote app if you then have to turn on the TV and box to check that the record is set?

I won't be following this forum any more because I am now an ex Youview user and my box is going on Freecycle.

Well today I am finally giving up on my Youview box and reverting to my old Sagem which does everything I want except record in HD. I am then going to do some research before I waste another £200 on an underperforming box.
    Since the new season of Mr Selfridge (for my wife before you comment Roy!) I have not once had a recording run to the right length. The range is between 15 mins and 3 hours which it was  on Sunday. This means that on  the last 2 weekends, films I had set to record were not recorded because of the overun. I am frequently missing the beginning of programmes across all broadcasters and last night the box failed to record The Ark on BBC1 for no reason.

On my 6 year old Sagem I can override the EPG so I never missed a recording unless the previous programme overran, but that is quite rare.I can also order channels as I want.

I appreciate that the AR is not the responsibility of Youview but from the comments I have read on this forum over the last 2 years it is apparent that I am not alone in my experience. What is in Youview's power is to give us padding to override an unreliable system but clearly they have a different agenda and appear to have no interest in the end users.

Most if not all of the software updates over the last 2 years have been of no use to me - why would I want to change the background colour  for instance  and yet the important issues for the end users are ignored. The only useful update was being able to hide channels which wouldn't have been necessary if we could set up favourites like other TV's and boxes.

I gave up on the Android app several weeks ago because of the number of "failed" messages I was getting which on  investigation had no reason to fail. What is the point of a remote app if you then have to turn on the TV and box to check that the record is set?

I won't be following this forum any more because I am now an ex Youview user and my box is going on Freecycle.

AR may not be perfectly operated by the broadcasters, but it's never that bad, especially not on the first-rank channels like the BBC and ITV.

There must have been something more fundamental wrong with your box to get a catalogue of errors like that.

When did you last soft reset it?
    edited 31 March 2015, 10:05AM

Nigel, my wife is also addicted to Mr Selfridge and all our recordings have been fine and she has not suffered any premature endings like your wife. We record HD whenever we can and use retail boxes only (T1000 and now the T2000). Might be linked to the broadcast towers or regional TV (We're on Yorkshire TV).
    edited 31 March 2015, 12:16PM

Yes Roy I do resets every so often. Also power cuts do them for me.

Nick my box is tuned to the East midlands transmitter although I can also get Yorkshire if I wish.
    However this is irrelevant. If I had the ability to pad the record, I woudn't be having these problems. I always added a couple of minutes either side on my Sagem which effectively turns it into a timed record like old VHS recorders. Unfortunately Youview seem totally disinterested in giving us a solution to transmission problems. Sagem don't hence my resurection of my old box.
    edited 31 March 2015, 10:24AM

I think we can all agree that AR looks great on paper but in reality is prone to poor results that cannot be detected until after a recording has taken place.

Watchathon last night. Fortitude on Now TV (excellent BTW) then recordings of Indian Summer and Selfridge. No problems with the recordings. It would have to be bad, amazingly bad, for me to revert to SD to avoid it. But clearly there were other, more fundamental, issues with Nigel's box. I can see that would be annoying.

Sounds like his power is not the most reliable. That would do it; though it may do it to the Sagem also :-(
    edited 31 March 2015, 12:16PM

Nothing to do with my power supply Roy but I live in the country and in weather like we are having today it is not unusual to get short cuts when a branch hits a power line.
    But even so power cuts or not has nothing to do with Youview's intransigence in giving the customesr what they want. They know we are experiencing problems, they know what functions people want but they totally ignore us and that has nothing to do with power cuts or soft resets.
     If a box needs regular resets just to function then there is something inherently wrong with the design of said box. One of the biggest problems requiring resets is the fact that the hard drive is constantly running in low eco mode which it needs to be to use the app and cosequently it is consuming far more electricity than is desirable and  can run far too hot which causes many of the problems as has been documented many times on this forum.

But  I digress, I want a box that I can rely on to record programmes and unfortunately that is not the case with a Youview box. I am using the backward epg to watch programmes because they have not recorded something you cannot do with the films.

"they totally ignore us". Do they? In this context, I believe padding was considered, and rejected. That decision might not be popular, but the issue wasn't ignored.

"if a box needs regular resets..." there's something wrong with *that* box. Ours doesn't. But I wouldn't say that our experience means that the design is perfect and that therefore that should be everyone's experience.

"documented many times on this forum..." and that's the nature of forums like this.

I hope that whatever you get next works better for you.

I know it's no help, and can even be frustrating, when someone says "Well, mine doesn't do that". But this box here has been so reliable that twice now I have gone to Spain for three months, running it via a Slingbox as if I was here in the UK, but completely unattended, no soft resets, nothing - and it's held up perfectly.

The failures you are getting are nothing like the AR glitches that people who watch the higher-numbered two-digit channels get; you are getting major dysfunctionality on the mainstream channels that surely has some other cause.

If it isn't the power - and for every blip you notice, there may be a micro-blip you don't, but which throws the YouView box off - then it may be something to do with you having a choice of transmitters, as YouView boxes don't seem to do well when faced with such alternatives.

So maybe the Sagem will be OK for you. As I would hazard a guess that in your circumstances, AR could be perfect on every channel, and your YouView box would still exhibit these enormous under- and over- runs.
    Nick and all- There is a reply on Twitter from CBS Action which indicates that the fault with AR lies with The Youview platform :

@cbsaction: @FreejackFan @colink thanks for your interest. This is a YouView issue that doesn't affect any other platforms. We are working with them!