iPlayer wont exit on TalkTalk Youview box

stuart3stuart3 Posts: 6Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Hey

Just wondered if others are getting this same issue. My partner starts watching something on iPlayer then decides to stop or it comes to credits. She then attempts to exit back into live TV or guide but finds it stuck in iPlayer on last frame she was watching,

We have a TalkTalk Youview box at first I thought it was just us but at weekedn she managed to do it again on my parents TalkTalk box. Each time I had to reboot the box at the back to get it working.

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,207Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Try rebooting the box the 'approved' way, by touching the standby button for just over 8 seconds.

This is gentler, more controlled, and may lead to a better result.

Also try updating the Players in the Settings.

Oh, and (so far) it is just you. Just your partner, not your box :-)

What happens when you, personally, attempt to exit the Player?

If that works OK, have you checked that she carries out exactly the same steps?

If so, this may be a timing problem; we have seen these before where the exact way that the buttons are pressed, notably the microgaps in the timings, can provoke issues that one person consistently experiences while others, making apparently the same keypresses in the same way, do not.

This was seen elsewhere from Player dismissal, but the principle is the same.

YouView did manage to reproduce, and fix, that issue.

If the above continues for your partner but not for you, then if your partner can do this consistently, a video of the keypresses sequence, from which YouView can capture the timings, may be very useful.

In the meantime, though, until any fault here can be fixed, leaving a longer gap between each keypress may help.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • stuart3stuart3 Posts: 6Member
    Hi Roy

I always try to exit app myself when she has issue but have always had to resort to a rebooth. I will try your suggestion of 'Approved way' try it on remote but maybe by boxs standby for 8 seconds may get different result. I test it next time she has the issue.

We are on latest players settings but as its the new html5 build may be a bug just got to test it myself when I get half hour to watch something on iPlayer.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    stuart3 said:

Hi Roy

I always try to exit app myself when she has issue but have always had to resort to a rebooth. I will try your suggestion of 'Approved way' try it on remote but maybe by boxs standby for 8 seconds may get different result. I test it next time she has the issue.

We are on latest players settings but as its the new html5 build may be a bug just got to test it myself when I get half hour to watch something on iPlayer.

Cheers Stuart

By the time she has had the issue, the box is already locked up; so you will be too late to help.

What I'm thinking is that next time she gets to the end of something, she gives you the remote before trying to exit, and you press the keys as she tells you which one(s) she would press if she were doing it.

Then you see if it locks up for you also, or if the subtle timing differences mean it doesn't.

This will be useful information to have, to help diagnose this, if the 8-second reboot is not efficacious.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 9:55PM
    stuart3 said:

Hi Roy

Hi Stuart,

We are aware of a small number of reports mentioning the same behaviour on their TalkTalk boxes for Netflix and BBC iPlayer when a programme ends.

This appears to occur on the HTML players only, specifically when a programme ends and the screen freezes as described. The way to get out of this is to do as Roy mentions and hold the power button for 8 seconds to soft reboot the box.

Did you happen to see an error message appear Stuart when trying to navigate to live TV at all? We are currently investigating this issue with our test teams so any additional feedback would really help us look into this.

Phil
  • stuart3stuart3 Posts: 6Member
    edited 11 March 2015, 6:15PM
    stuart3 said:

Hi Roy

Hi Phil

I've not had chance to try soft reboot but will look at it.

Didn't get any error message just a frozen screen. hope that helps.

Stuart
  • Brian HaywardBrian Hayward Posts: 8Member
    edited 3 April 2015, 11:14PM

Just started happening on my TT Youview box - locks up when an Iplayer prog finishes and have to unplug the power to reset it. Was fine 'till a couple of days ago! Perhaps a 'feature' of a recent update? Will try the soft reboot!

Brian

Just tried pressing the power button for 8 secs - did nothing - still locked. I get an error message saying I have a weak tv signal when I try to use the Guide when it is like this - but I isn't because the tv works fine on it's own!

Brian

edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

Just tried pressing the power button for 8 secs - did nothing - still locked. I get an error message saying I have a weak tv signal when I try to use the Guide when it is like this - but I isn't because the tv works fine on it's own!

Brian

Sorry it didn't work Brian.

The 'weak signal' message may be an error, or it may be related - YouView boxes do need a stronger signal than your TV does.

Worth looking at the signal strength and quality readings in the System menu, and reporting what these are.

Also enter your postcode top right here:-

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk

and see if you are in an area with competing transmitters, which is also known to confuse YouView boxes.
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    The freezing problem only started after I updated the box firmware and iPlayer a couple of weeks ago and then paused an iPlayer playback - it just froze. I could get the TV prog guide but nothing launched from it - only the 'weak signal' message  . After that whenever I turned the box on it came back to the frozen iPlayer page and wouldn't do anything else - it just hung when I selected any other menu item or player. As to signal strength it's fine - it all works ok again if I unplug/replug the power lead. However, last night I watched IPlayer and it froze again when it came to the final programme credits. I unfroze it by pulling the power lead (this is getting to be a pain!) and the TV launched fine from it again. Can't help but think it is an iPlayer or TalkTalk s/w update problem. If not, why has it only just started - the TT box has worked fine for months? Bewildered!
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:57PM

The freezing problem only started after I updated the box firmware and iPlayer a couple of weeks ago and then paused an iPlayer playback - it just froze. I could get the TV prog guide but nothing launched from it - only the 'weak signal' message  . After that whenever I turned the box on it came back to the frozen iPlayer page and wouldn't do anything else - it just hung when I selected any other menu item or player. As to signal strength it's fine - it all works ok again if I unplug/replug the power lead. However, last night I watched IPlayer and it froze again when it came to the final programme credits. I unfroze it by pulling the power lead (this is getting to be a pain!) and the TV launched fine from it again. Can't help but think it is an iPlayer or TalkTalk s/w update problem. If not, why has it only just started - the TT box has worked fine for months? Bewildered!

Hi Brian - Sorry to hear you've experienced this issue. We are aware of an issue where a YVM302 (weak signal) error message will display if iPlayer crashes. This is something that we have been working on fixing and we'll update you when we know more.

This doesn't explain why iPlayer is crashing for you. So it would be very useful if we could get some additional information. Can you let us know:
    • Make/Model of YouView box (Settings > System Information > Device Information)
    • Software Versions (System Information > Software Versions)
    • What programme were you watching on BBC iPlayer when it crashed?
    • What part of the programme (time if possible) did the player crash?
    In the meantime if iPlayer crashes again, instead of unplugging the power lead, try a soft reboot. This is a more controlled way of restarting the box. To do this press & hold the standby button on the box for 8 seconds, then let go. This should restore your YouView box to working order. 
    edited 8 April 2015, 12:39PM

Hi Sanj,

First let me say that I think that YouView is brilliant and thanks for your interest in my problem.

Required info:

- box is HUAWEI DN360T.01.02.P

- software: Manufacturer vers 60.36.60; component vers 2.8.18; platform config 1234; ISP config 1402011

I was watching 'Great Continental Railway Journeys' (GCRJ) and paused iPlayer  approx. half way through (~15mins) and the box froze. Couldn't restart but could call up the Guide but nothing would launch. Put box in 'Standby' overnight and when I turned on again next day it came back to the same frozen point in iPlayer. Unplugged the box/replugged and the Guide functioned ok; went to 'on demand', launched iPlayer and iPlayer 'last watched', launched the half-way-thru GCRJ but the prog stayed  frozen. Went thru the unplug/plug routine again and non-iPlayer worked ok - decided to stay away from iPlayer (the other 'on demand' sources seemed to work ok).

After a few days I went back to iPlayer to watch 'Dara and Ed's Great Big Adventure' and it ran to the end - then froze on the last screen of the credits - unplug/plug - seek help!

Used iPlayer  last night for 'University Challenge' and the prog ended ok - nothing froze (not even the credits) and afterwards I could launch live tv ok from the Guide .

That's it!

Brian

edited 10 April 2015, 10:00PM

Just happened again. Watching iPlayer ' GCRJ', paused the box and it froze. Tried to come back to GCRJ through 'search' but it said that 'there is a problem with this programme, try another programme or try later'. Tried another episode but it came back to the same frozen screen. Tried to watch a live channel thru the 'Guide' and got the 'weak signal' message again. The soft reboot doesn't work - just comes back to the frozen iPlayer screen again. Will now unplug/replug to free it up (again!). Why is this happening?

Brian

• David Taylor2David Taylor2 Posts: 1Member
    edited 7 May 2015, 9:52PM
    Do you have this problem with iPlayer when you are watching something at the same time as you are recording? We have just finished watching iPlayer and are frozen on the last credit but are also recording. We've had this problem before but not sure if we were recording at the same time. Will now hav to wait until recording has finished before re-booting. A real pain.
    D&D
  • Margaret1Margaret1 Posts: 1Member
    edited 1 August 2015, 7:42PM
    stuart3 said:

Hi Roy

I am also having the same issue and the picture freezes on the last frame and I can't move on without switching everything off at the socket.  I get a message sometimes - but not every time to  say "TV signal problem - your TV signal is weak or lost for more information go to support.youviews.com and search for YVM302" - to be honest its a pain, it doesn't seem to happen with ITV player at all
    edited 1 August 2015, 7:54PM
    stuart3 said:

Hi Roy

I have had this problem for months - see my earlier posts. Have reported it but I guess the powers that be are just not interested - typical head-in-the-sand-hope-it will-go-away stuff. Don't expect customer loyalty when you ignore them when it suits! My solution is to switch off the box and then back on again - really prehistoric but it works for me. Is this a 'feature' of Iplayer which nobody else felt it would be sensible to replicate? Or is it just poor software from TalkTalk (previous experience suggests the latter!)?
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:57PM
    stuart3 said:

Hi Roy

Hi both,

Since this was raised to us, we have been able to reproduce the issue and are working on a fix for a future software update.

Thanks for your on-going patience. We'll update you when we know more. 
  • Steve JohnsonSteve Johnson Posts: 1Member
    edited 13 September 2015, 8:11PM
    stuart3 said:

Hi Roy

Typical talk talk in customer service - fed up of the not our fault attitude of the tin pot outfit