RTE channels disappearing? NI specific question

David FarrenDavid Farren Posts: 4Member
edited 30 April 2017, 8:56AM in Archived Posts
Hi,

I've just installed a youview box for my parents last night, provided by Talktalk as part of an upgrade deal. Prior to this they had a Humax Freeview HD box and received all of the RTE channels in the 800 range of channel numbers. When we scanned last night the box seemed to have been already set up for a postcode in London so I had to rescan. At first the only channel that appeared was RTE1 at channel 801, as well as several other copies of RTE1+1 higher up the register. I performed a factory reset, changed to the correct postcode and rescanned. This time all of the other RTE channels appeared with the exception of the RTE1 and RTE1+1 copies that previously existed. I rescanned again and, this time, all the other channels disappeared and the copies of RTE1 etc reappeared.

When I rescan the channels it states that there are 300+ channels detected initially then, for some reason, the total drops to282 within about 1 minute of the scan. There are apparently no hidden channels. It seems excessive that we would need to rescan every time we want to change channel between RTE1 and RTE2. Can anyone offer any advice? My current thinking is that we were supplied with a reconditioned box unknowingly and there may be an inherent fault as I've been through various menus etc. and cannot see what is going on.imageimage

Comments

• etafetaf Posts: 35Member
    edited 30 April 2017, 8:56AM
    channels on 800 are usually duplicated channels 

if the product had a postcode entered and already setup - then it maybe they have sent a used version
    BUT the upgrade deal may include refurbished units

what transmitter are you on
    http://www.ukfree.tv/maps/bbc/6

enter postcode here
    http://www.ukfree.tv/prediction

you should get a list of the channel numbers here
    http://www.terrestrialtv.co.uk/dtt.cgi?reg=UK&change=root&by=lcn&type=VRDIPTSAGHXYZCL&am...=
  • David FarrenDavid Farren Posts: 4Member
    edited 14 March 2015, 11:11AM
    Hi,

We receive signals from two different transmitters - UK signal from Limavady tower and Saorview signal from Holywell Hill. The RTE channels are supposed to be between 50-54 according to some fora, however these channels do not exist. On the box we were using yesterday the channels were only at 800+.

I've been through the whole EPG and the channels are not there. One of your links though suggested a a different style of reset specifically for Saorview. Going to try that now and see what happens.
  • Chris_ThatcherChris_Thatcher Posts: 194Member
    edited 2 March 2017, 11:43AM
    Hi David

Channels 50-54 are for the so-called "Northern Ireland MiniMux" (Irish channels), when transmitted from selected Northern Ireland transmitters.
    You are receiving your RTE direct from a transmitter in the Irish Republic, so the channels would appear in the 800s.
    This still doesn't answer your question as to why the channels disappear. I'm afraid I cannot answer that.

Chris.
    edited 14 March 2015, 1:47PM
    So have gone as far as doing a factory reset of the box and complete repeat set up. Initially it seems to register all of the channels (the missing RTE1 is up around 870 or so, all the others down round the low 800s). The problem is that the box seems to automatically cut out channels 836-899 without allowing me to recover the hidden or dropped channels. Doesn't seem to be an option to fix this on any of the menus.
  • Chris_ThatcherChris_Thatcher Posts: 194Member
    edited 2 March 2017, 11:43AM
    Hi David,

It may be worth you asking someone with YouView who also receives from the same transmitters as yourself, how and what they did to overcome the problem.
    I have a Humax HD FOX T2. When I receive European TV signals here (in Lincoln), the Humax puts those channels in ascending order from 800 onwards. There have been no channels that go straight into 870 etc.
    My Humax YouView (T1000) is connected to a UK only antenna (Belmont), so I have no idea what would happen if that box was to receive any non-UK signals.

Chris.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,813Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Even a refurbished YouView box should have had a factory reset that no data would have survived, so I wonder if the London postcode isn't some sort of default, perhaps YouView Towers itself? :-)

But without resetting at all, beyond what you have already done, try disconnecting the aerial and doing a retune, so that all the channels are deleted, but everything else is left as is.

Then plug the aerial back in and tune again, and see what results you get.
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM
    Hi Chris/Roy,

Thanks for the helpful comments. Have tried retuning without aerial connected followed by a factory reset with no joy. The channels are present for about 60 seconds and then all those from 836-899 are removed automatically with no option to restore them. Don't know anyone locally with the same youview set up, hoping that someone may be on this forum as I can see other posts relating to different RTE issue previously. All else fails I think a call for an engineer visit is in order to see if switching the Huawei box out is an option.
  • alal Posts: 1,291Member ✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM

Hi Chris/Roy,

Thanks for the helpful comments. Have tried retuning without aerial connected followed by a factory reset with no joy. The channels are present for about 60 seconds and then all those from 836-899 are removed automatically with no option to restore them. Don't know anyone locally with the same youview set up, hoping that someone may be on this forum as I can see other posts relating to different RTE issue previously. All else fails I think a call for an engineer visit is in order to see if switching the Huawei box out is an option.

I have a fear that the youview software is having problems seeing channels from two different countries that are conflicting with eachother. Searching this community for terms like rte/soarview/ireland doesn't bring up any happy posts.
  • opensourcederryopensourcederry Posts: 5Member
    edited 4 April 2016, 10:26PM

Hi Chris/Roy,

Hi David,

An old thread but I can confirm the same issue.  I had a Huawei made Talk Talk DN370t and had similar issues.  So does a relative. I am outside Derry with Limavady for UK channels and Moville for RTE.  The talk talk box would not store all the RTE channels.  I would not describe my issue as a truncation issue but it appeared that the box could only store 1 RTE mux at time.  

RTE 1 and RTE 2 are on different Saorview muxs.  Whenever I did  a scan then the channel list would show ALL RTE channels including 1 and 2 no problem.   I would then bring up the guide and quickly note the numbers that RTE1 and 2 where assigned.  If I watched RTE1 first then it would store this channel and any others on the same  mux but it would discard the RTE2 mux and associated channels.  If I watched RTE2 first then it would store this and the other mux channels, but drop RTE1

So it would store whatever RTE channel I watched first.  In the end up I bought  another DN370t and had one for RTE1 and the other for RTE2 for the footy in another room.

This is def a bug associated with the Huawei boxes.  I have since moved to BT for Youview and their Humax box gets RTE 1 and 2 no problems as does my Sony Bravia TV.