T1000 Black screen

JamesGJamesG Posts: 15Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
I've had my Humax Youview T1000 for about 18 months and everything had been fine until this week when it stated giving me black screens, rather than finish starting up from sleep.

Eventually I did a full reset, but that hasn't helped and now it never finishes coming out of sleep / eco mode. If I pull the plug for mins to hours and then re-start it gives the Humax screen, then the Youview screen with "Almost Finished", or what ever it says, then just a black screen. There is nothing on the box's channel display either and it fails to respond to the remote, not just the menu button, it wont even turn off! The box's controls are dead too.

Is there any fix for this or is it dead?

Comments

• Chris_ThatcherChris_Thatcher Posts: 194Member
    edited 2 March 2017, 12:43PM
    Hi James,

I'm having similar problems with my Humax T1000. Tonight, the screen went black twice (audio continued), while watching BBC One HD (The Voice). The box also did not respond to the remote. I had to switch it off at the rear. When switched back on, it got as far as the "Nearly Ready" screen, but failed to come fully out of standby. I had to switch power off again and let it go through the start-up process again, before it finally started displaying the picture.

I'm wondering if this may be caused by a power supply on its way out, or something to do with a failing microprocessor/motherboard.

Chris.
  • Paul D'AngeloPaul D'Angelo Posts: 24Member
    edited 3 March 2017, 6:12PM
    sounds like early signs of motherboard failure, although a full reset may solve it for a while. might be worth reading notes 'dtr t 1010 now dead' and some of the replies I've had. If it is a PSU failure good news is you can get them on ebay for about £20 and it is a 5 minute plug out plug in job, motherboard issues are more or less terminal. My motherboard just went ( a month out of warranty) with the hard drive holding 750 GB of programs. My solution is getting a second hand working DTR T 1000 on ebay for £40 and doing a hard drive transplant ( once again just plug out plug in) just waiting for the donor machine to arrive. the t1000 and t1010 are the same machine inside different boxes
    edited 2 March 2017, 12:43PM
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comments. I tend to agree with you, it does sound like early signs of motherboard failure.

Before I go on, I must advise other people reading this, that they should not attempt any repairs, a) if they are not technically trained, and b) if their box is still under warranty (as the following will invalidate it).

My box (T1000) is well out of warranty (I was a 2012 trialist). The lid is off, so I can see that a power supply swap would be easy.

Unfortunately for you Paul, I believe that an HDD swap to a "donor" box will not allow you to view the contents of the extracted HDD. I was given to understand that each box has a unique encryption key, and therefore, a transplanted HDD will not work.
    I would very much like to be proved wrong, so will be very interested to know your results.
    If the transplant works for you, I may well be treading the same path.

Best regards,

Chris (2E0NDT).
  • JamesGJamesG Posts: 15Member
    edited 15 March 2015, 11:50AM
    Thanks for the replies.

I kind of figured it was a M/B problem, it was a nice machine while it worked, but an 18 month life leaves me unimpressed by Humax's quality. May be I was unlucky, but I'm not that keen on the idea of buying a T2000 to replace it. In contrast, my old Tivo box is still working after 8 years!

Perhaps I'll see if I can get the limited PVR capability of my TV working with a hard disk for a bit and see who comes out with boxes using the new Freeview Play :-(
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,382Member ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi all - given the continued reports of failing/faulty Humax T1xxx boxes I thought I would try to pull together the various advice people have given across the forum etc. The suggestions/options below assume you have first tried the more normal steps such as: As I'm sure many of us are aware, the official response from Humax is that failure rates of the T1xxx boxes are within industry norms and nothing unusual. Whilst it is true that forums such as this will tend to attract problem reports and so not be a truly accurate picture, the number of failures and faults reported by users here, plus occasional painful personal experience, can only really lead me to conclude the T1xxx boxes are fragile and do have higher failure rates than customers would expect (although there are of course many many examples of these boxes running fine for over 2 years/since product launch). As I have commented before on other threads, if someone now offered me a free T1xxx box I would not take it (except perhaps for testing purposes only).

For those that do have T1xxx boxes and do experience terminal problems then an options for retail purchased boxes is:
    • warranty exchange by contacting Humax (0844 669 8800) if the box is under 2 years old (and you registered for free for the 2nd year of cover). If you describe the problem and the actions you have taken they typically decide the box is fault. In that case they will email you a claim form which you fill out and email back with a copy of a proof of purchase. They will then send out a warranty replacement machine typically within a few days. When they deliver the replacement they will take away the failed one (so if the box is not completely dead you may want to try to watch up your most important recordings quickly first).
    If Humax refuse a warranty claim/it is out of warranty then other options include: 
    • ask the retailer as they may be more welcoming, have standard further cover or have sold you such extended cover (e.g. the legendary 5 year extended cover from Richer Sounds or extended cover options from John Lewis)
    • if bought on a credit card and over £100 (or even part paid for in that way) then consider section 75 of the consumer credit act
    • somewhat similar to section 75 is chargeback
    • the sale of goods act
    • quote EU directive 1999/44/EC which states a minimum 2 year warranty is to be provided in the EU
    One may choose to use these individually or in combination in writing demonstrating you know your rights and expect them to be honoured, see for example this letter extract from PeterG.

A further option (for retail or ex ISP supplied boxes) is then of course the self repair/fix route. Do not attempt this unless you know what you are doing!If you've reached this point without success (either having tried everything or dismissed various options) then you are probably left with the option of buying/obtaining a new box. Assuming you still like the YouView system and failures have not put you off then your options include:
    • buy a new box via retail, either the pure retail Humax T2000 box or the BT badged Humax T2110 box (note the BT badged one will get its software updates on the BT release schedule not the pure retail schedule)
    • get a box via an ISP, e.g. via BT where you will get a Humax T2100, or via TalkTalk where you will get a Huawei box
    • pick up a box second hand via ebay etc, TalkTalk boxes have generally proved reliable (if slow) and you may find some Humax T2xxx boxes now too
    Note the T2xxx boxes have been available for over a year now and there have been no significant reports of failures which is a positive sign. The T2xxx boxes are also significantly faster than the Huawei TalkTalk boxes or the older Humax T1xxx boxes which will all add up to a better user experience. Prices are fortunately much lower now than when YouView first released and the retail T1000 box was selling for £300! You should now be able to pick up a T2000 box for around £170-180 or a T2110 box for around £150-160.

Others may be able to add further comment to expand on, clarify or correct any of the above :)
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi Keith,

Thanks for your very detailed run-down of options for us T1XXX owners.
    I notice that you even included my post about adding an additional fan

Best regards,

Chris.
    edited 17 March 2015, 7:22PM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comments. I tend to agree with you, it does sound like early signs of motherboard failure.

Before I go on, I must advise other people reading this, that they should not attempt any repairs, a) if they are not technically trained, and b) if their box is still under warranty (as the following will invalidate it).

My box (T1000) is well out of warranty (I was a 2012 trialist). The lid is off, so I can see that a power supply swap would be easy.

Unfortunately for you Paul, I believe that an HDD swap to a "donor" box will not allow you to view the contents of the extracted HDD. I was given to understand that each box has a unique encryption key, and therefore, a transplanted HDD will not work.
    I would very much like to be proved wrong, so will be very interested to know your results.
    If the transplant works for you, I may well be treading the same path.

Best regards,

Chris (2E0NDT).

What sort of evil **** encrypts hard drives? Oh yeah, Humax. It may be that I won't be able to find my recordings but surely the drive itself should work in the new machine? anyway we will find out this week when the donor arrives I'll let you know what happens.
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:30PM

Hi Keith,

Best regards,

Chris.

You're welcome :)
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,655Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

Hi Keith,

Best regards,

Chris.

Looks like you've just gained an additional fan, Keith :-)
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    It may be of interest to note there is a recent sticky topic on the BT YouView forum asking people experiencing a pink or blank screen on start up to complete a short survey. Presumably if they are gathering data they have had a number of similar reports and are looking for a pattern to assist tracking down a bug or issue.

I've now added this as item 40 in the consolidated list of bugs and faults.
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,005Member
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM

sounds like early signs of motherboard failure, although a full reset may solve it for a while. might be worth reading notes 'dtr t 1010 now dead' and some of the replies I've had. If it is a PSU failure good news is you can get them on ebay for about £20 and it is a 5 minute plug out plug in job, motherboard issues are more or less terminal. My motherboard just went ( a month out of warranty) with the hard drive holding 750 GB of programs. My solution is getting a second hand working DTR T 1000 on ebay for £40 and doing a hard drive transplant ( once again just plug out plug in) just waiting for the donor machine to arrive. the t1000 and t1010 are the same machine inside different boxes

Does that actually work? Just transplanting the drive from one machine to another. I would expect it would be confused with different serial number and hardware data? If it does work its maybe a good idea. If I can't get mine working buy a cheap 500Gb machine and put my 1TB drive in. Although I suspect in my case its the HD which is at fault.
  • JamesGJamesG Posts: 15Member
    edited 22 March 2015, 11:25PM

Didn't try it with myPVR, but the drive is encrypted, I put it in my Linux box, so I doubt another PVR could read it. OTOH, if you are worried about the drive put it in a computer, format it and see how many bad sectors there are.
    edited 23 March 2015, 10:52AM

unfortunately despite early promising signs it did not work. I put the 1 TB drive from my dead unit into the 500gb donor unit and after a factory reset, save recordings it all seemed to be going fine. It woke up but had erased all recordings and i could access guide and empty library and would even attempt to record but just kept freezing. Gave up after several more attempts and put 500gb drive back in, did factory reset again and has been working fine since, still cheesed off that i have a 1TB box less than a year old that is dead and has no warranty, as it was a warranty replacement itself. I am in negotiations with Humax regarding this as I have never had 2 years continuous use and have lost over 1750GB of programs over the last 2 years and this alone points to the units not being 'fit for purpose' as per the sales of goods act. keep you posted