[Discussion] Automatic Huawei YouView Software Update March 2015

SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Announcements
Feel free to discuss the Automatic Huawei YouView Software Update March 2015 below.

Comments

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi Sanj - can you confirm the key point here is this is an update for Huawei retail boxes. I was not aware up to this point that a distinction had been made between Huawei boxes supplied via TalkTalk and those purchased as retail. If I understand correctly this announcement is basically saying these retail Huawei boxes are getting the TalkTalk updates from January (features update with netflix, connected red button, new iPlayer etc) and February (maintenance release/ bug fixes).

I've added a note to that effect into the consolidated list of updates and changes but if it is something different I can always adjust :)
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:56PM
    Keith1 said:

Hi Sanj - can you confirm the key point here is this is an update for Huawei retail boxes. I was not aware up to this point that a distinction had been made between Huawei boxes supplied via TalkTalk and those purchased as retail. If I understand correctly this announcement is basically saying these retail Huawei boxes are getting the TalkTalk updates from January (features update with netflix, connected red button, new iPlayer etc) and February (maintenance release/ bug fixes).

I've added a note to that effect into the consolidated list of updates and changes but if it is something different I can always adjust :)

No need to adjust your note Keith, this update does include both the features included in the Jan update and the fixes from the Feb update. 

To reaffirm your first sentence, the key point here is that this is an update for Huawei retail boxes. There is a distinction between the Huawei retail and TalkTalk YouView boxes, in the same way there is a distinction between Humax retail and BT YouView boxes. 

Just to be clear the Huawei YouView box that is getting this update is the DN371T and not the DN360T, DN370T or DN372T supplied by TalkTalk. All of the TalkTalk supplied YouView boxes (60,70,72T's) should already have this update regardless of how they were purchased.

Image of the DN371T for visual clarity:

At least that's the answer to what I think you were asking. Apologies if I have misunderstood. 
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:30PM
    Keith1 said:

Spot on - thanks :)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I've been surprised to see this Huawei retail box is only available via Amazon or eBay, and is the same price as the reportedly superior BT G4 retail box. But the small subset of reviews are mainly positive -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-DN371T-YouView-Recorder-Freeview/dp/B00JJM3UGG
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    Visionman said:

I've been surprised to see this Huawei retail box is only available via Amazon or eBay, and is the same price as the reportedly superior BT G4 retail box. But the small subset of reviews are mainly positive -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-DN371T-YouView-Recorder-Freeview/dp/B00JJM3UGG

More 'damned with faint praise' I'd have said, especially since many of the reviewers there got the thing free.

Quite illuminating to see the reactions of people new to YouView though, especially about the lack of wifi.

And there is one 'review' you might have missed, as it is in the Q&A there, regarding recording to the SCART:-

I'm not sure about that but I'm hoping you haven't bought one yet. I have found mine so temperamental that I intend to throw it out. It's so frustrating that I wouldn't even be prepared to sell it on to someone - I just couldn't put them through the torture that I have had to endure with this nasty piece of kit which wasn't exactly cheap either.
    Alex N. answered on 9 Jan. 2015

He, at least, does not sound very positive :-)
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • Peter CoppingPeter Copping Member Posts: 56
    edited 1 November 2015, 11:25PM
    My retail DN371T has still not been updated to the latest software so any idea when it will happen?