[Discussion] Automatic Software Update for March 2015

SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM in Announcements
Feel free to discuss the Automatic Software Update for March 2015 below.

Comments

• Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Member Posts: 367
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:20PM
    If the time it takes for me to get the updates are anything to go by it will be a mid April update not March..
    But it sounds a good one and very welcome.. 
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited 20 March 2017, 5:24PM
    Just downloading the update now.... Glad to hear that channel logos, have been added at long last!
  • agdeweyagdewey Member Posts: 40
    edited 14 June 2016, 5:02PM
    Looks like a great update, and the channel logos are finally here! Downloading as we speak.
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 March 2015, 4:16PM
    thanks for the update Youview. Not sure if I'll keep the channel logos yet? Good to see improvement on the start up time of bbc iplayer.
    How is the new "discover" different then before? Is it just a naming convention? Also regarding the discover categories why is Nowtv so dominant? For instance I can't find any netflix films in the "indie" section. I would have thought there should be a few?

I'd like to see further improvementa in the bbc iplayer responsiveness, but it's good you managed to shave off a few seconds off the starting time.

Looking forward to seeing some good new apps appearing. Presumably apps aren't searchable through Youview search?
  • agdeweyagdewey Member Posts: 40
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    The ability to delete an entire series is also very welcome.
    Glad to see that the BBC News and Sport apps have been added. I know you could access them before via the BBC's Connected Red Button (soon to be Red Button+).

But this options makes it much faster!

Big well done to everyone at YouVIew for this big update!! :)
    Now all we need is YouTube to get added to the apps section. Then it will be best PVR you can buy!
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Downloaded and running here....

Those new channel logos have sure been beaten with the ugly stick, but at least you can turn them back to text, as before, in Settings/Subtitles & Accessibility (which might not be somewhere I would think to look).

I like the new Discover. But though Films are flagged Free or Subscription, you still can't select on this.

Further bulletins as events warrant..
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
    edited 31 March 2015, 2:28PM
    Roy1 said:

Those new channel logos have sure been beaten with the ugly stick, but at least you can turn them back to text, as before, in Settings/Subtitles & Accessibility (which might not be somewhere I would think to look).

I like the new Discover. But though Films are flagged Free or Subscription, you still can't select on this.

I for one, really like the channel logos. Guess you can't please everyone...
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    Roy1 said:

They should really be smaller, and not monochrome, for me to be pleased with them.

But they are off for me now, so I guess we are both pleased with how our respective Guides look.
    edited 1 April 2015, 9:16AM
    Ah I see... "Discover" shows the popular shows by default, but you can select "a to z" or latest as alternatives. Now I see the netflix films too

As Roy said its still a shame we can't filter free and subscription. Or even better untick the players you don't want to appear in discover.
    edited 8 April 2015, 7:48PM
    Roy1 said:

Colour logos, would be no at all, if you are colour blind... Also none of the rest of the guide is in colour. So no need for the logos..
    agdewey said:

Agreed. Especially over a Slingbox from Spain, where the lag between keypress and action usually means having one or two episodes left. Or worse, some innocent nearby as-yet-unwatched programme zapped as collateral damage.

This will be a big time- and bacon- saver for me :-)
    edited 31 March 2015, 2:46PM
    For those of us who didn't use the old search categories section, What exactly has changed in the new "discover" section?
    Roy1 said:

I am sure with the Accessibility options, the needs of the colour blind as regards the logos would be taken into account. So no need for the tail to wag the dog, so to speak, on the normal presentation.
    For some reason "BBC Nottingham" on 720 does not have a logo :(
    edited 31 March 2015, 3:02PM
    agdewey said:

Yes this is good
  • Paul19Paul19 Member Posts: 116
    Sanj
    Will this update be coming to Humax boxes provided to BT customers or is it only a retail update. If so have BT blocked this feature.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭
    SmileySmileySmiley
    edited 11 December 2016, 11:58AM
    Paul19 said:

Sanj
    Will this update be coming to Humax boxes provided to BT customers or is it only a retail update. If so have BT blocked this feature.

Ah! BT, that'll be the reason I don't or can get the update...
    edited 31 March 2015, 4:16PM
    Joe2 said:

thanks for the update Youview. Not sure if I'll keep the channel logos yet? Good to see improvement on the start up time of bbc iplayer.
    How is the new "discover" different then before? Is it just a naming convention? Also regarding the discover categories why is Nowtv so dominant? For instance I can't find any netflix films in the "indie" section. I would have thought there should be a few?

I'd like to see further improvementa in the bbc iplayer responsiveness, but it's good you managed to shave off a few seconds off the starting time.

Looking forward to seeing some good new apps appearing. Presumably apps aren't searchable through Youview search?

Regarding the bbc iplayer - start up time is now improved to about 10secs on my t-2000, but my 3 year old panasonic tv with the same designed iplayer launches in 6.5secs on average. Why is there such a difference in performance here? Is it hardware or better optimised software? Is there room for more improvement in start up time on the dtr t2000? I hope so. Keep up the good work Youview, look forward to more optimisations in the future
    Paul19 said:

Sanj

BT consume this release later, after the retail 'food tasters' have ensured it is safe to eat :-)
    edited 11 December 2016, 11:58AM
    Paul19 said:

Sanj

No nasty tasting bugs
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    I do find it a bit odd that the first time is hovering over the channel number with no purpose. Other than that I like all the new features.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM
    Roy1 said:

Colour TV was first introduced to the UK nearly 50 years ago. Colours serve to provide more information and are therefore helpful when visually filtering lists, such as the guide. Colour can convey information without using space. Colours are used in the Players & Apps from what I see.
    Is the justification for NOT using the logo colours in the guide some esoteric idea that the guide should 'look neat' and that colour would 'spoil' the great design?
    Or should the aim be to give functionality?
    I vote for colour logos.
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:01PM
    Roy1 said:

If we're voting then I like the logos the colour they are. Just much smaller.
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    The Discover section  appears to be missing lots of programmes.

For example - under Drama & Soaps - the US Drama section - returns - No programmes found

Several of the what Demand 5 regard as their top programmes Gotham . NCis , CSI don't seem to appear in categoriesd only in the a-z complete list.

Reading the Tems of Use on my retail Youview box  after the update  - the last page says they were last updated :December 2014. The official announcement and the web page lin says they were update March 2015. Have the revised terms not been changed yet on the box ?
  • johnshipman4johnshipman4 Member Posts: 65
    edited 1 April 2015, 2:08AM
    since update mine has gone to blank black screen 3 times in 4 days i only have to turn off at back and back on again and then its fine again but hope this is,nt the norm for it from now on [  if it is I will have to get roy on the job ]
    zulu17 said:

The Discover section  appears to be missing lots of programmes.

For example - under Drama & Soaps - the US Drama section - returns - No programmes found

Several of the what Demand 5 regard as their top programmes Gotham . NCis , CSI don't seem to appear in categoriesd only in the a-z complete list.

Reading the Tems of Use on my retail Youview box  after the update  - the last page says they were last updated :December 2014. The official announcement and the web page lin says they were update March 2015. Have the revised terms not been changed yet on the box ?

There is something similar on the YouView apps. My guess is that the revised T&Cs start being created by the legal eagles when the update project is commenced, and are rolled out, date unchanged, when the software is released.

This gives you some idea of the length of the development process.

If some kind retail soul not yet on the new update could look at their T&Cs, my guess is that they would bear an earlier date.

A close reading of new T&Cs can often throw up tell-tale signs as to where the product is going. Are there rules or restrictions that don't make sense given how the product is now, or at least seem to have no applicability? If so, these are our clues....
    edited 1 April 2015, 8:42AM
    Roy1 said:

Well I tried to like the new logos but as Roy said they were beaten with the ugly stick a bit too hard. They don't quite work for me in the epg graphically. They don't seem to take their place comfortably. But.... I do prefer them in the mini onscreen guide, the graphics give a but more excitement to the presentation and look right there.