Why does the information on the "Summary" tab change a split second after the Info button is pressed

skillerskiller Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Archived Posts
I don't remember seeing this behaviour before a week or two ago, so my best guess is that this was (accidentally) brought in with the latest update released at the end of March (Humax 21.10.0 / 2.9.24 / 1350), although I could well be wrong about that.

If you press the Info button to display the Summary/Details etc on many programmes (particularly ones that are episodes in a series, although possibly a lot of others too), then the "Summary" data that is initially displayed is slightly different to what replaces it perhaps half a second later. I have taken before and after photos to illustrate one particular example here ("Ordinary Lies", BBC ONE HD, Tuesday 7 April, 9pm):

Before

After

As you can see, the differences are minimal, but definitely there. I can understand the column of up to 5 command buttons and the "More Episodes" tab being slow to appear, but what confuses me is why the actual main body of the "Summary" tab is different in each case. The synopsis began with "4/6" at first, but then that disappeared and "EPISODE 4" suddenly appeared under the programme title.

I have even seen some examples where the entire programme title changes to something different (although I can't remember specific details at the moment - but "Look North" springs to mind).

Little things like this don't annoy me, but they do intrigue me. Anyone have any answers?

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Good catch, Skiller.

Does this even when rapidly repeated, so it's not like it's being updated from an older cached copy; not by design, at least, anyway.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The information that appears immediately is from the over-the-air broadcast schedule data that the box has already cached, whereas the data that appears a moment later is "enhanced" metadata from YouView servers.
    In the instance above it sadly seems to be de-enhanced with a lack of how many episodes are in the series, but the idea is that there are more fields in the enhanced metadata and more room for the broadcaster to give a detailed description, including the details in the other tabs.
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Yes I've just noticed this too while getting info on an episode of Sherlock on the bbciplayer. Frustrating when you are trying to watch a series in order
    edited March 2017
    Phil / Sanj/ Youview. This is a problem that was first reported over a month ago. Could we please have some acknowledgment that you have seen this?
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Joe2 said:

Phil / Sanj/ Youview. This is a problem that was first reported over a month ago. Could we please have some acknowledgment that you have seen this?

Hi Joe - We have seen the report from Skiller and from yourself and Churchwarden. I've passed this information on internally and we are looking into the issue you raised with Sherlock. I'll comment on your thread in a moment to keep the information together. 

As Stephen articulated rather well:
    The information that appears immediately is from the over-the-air broadcast schedule data that the box has already cached, whereas the data that appears a moment later is "enhanced" metadata from YouView servers.
    This is a great explanation on what you are seeing here. Unfortunately in the examples given, the episode number is not there, which we will feed back. Thank you to everyone who has raised this. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Joe2 said:

Antonyms for enhance
    decreasediminishdiscouragehurtlessenlowerneglectreducesubtracttake awayundermineweakencompresscondemncontractdebasedemotedenouncedepressdisgracedropmarplay downfixminimizeworsen
    Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus, Third Edition Copyright © 2013 by the Philip Lief Group.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited May 2015
    Joe2 said:

Thanks Sanj
  • skillerskiller Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Here's a great example of "enhanced" metadata...

Before/OTA:

After/online/"enhanced":
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Joe2 said:

Its still happening, all over the place so I guess that its never going to be fixed like a lot of things *sigh*
    edited December 2016
    skiller said:

Here's a great example of "enhanced" metadata...

Before/OTA:

After/online/"enhanced":

Yeh, this is still not fixed. Annoyingly on a Freesat Freetime box you get the correct data. No idea if its the broadcasters or Youview to blame. Either way it wants fixing as the only work around at the moment it to unplug the Ethernet cable from the Youview box!!!

This is common across all channels and all programmes. Enhanced is very usually worse than the original data. 
  • Bob ReasonBob Reason Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017
    I find this really annoying, mainly because I can't see the number of episodes in a series, although in "Recordings" it is possible to see the original DTT info by pressing "OK" rather than "info". I'm not sure I actually believe the explanation either; if most broadcasters consistently provide the "2/6" type data in the DTT info, why would they provide it differently in the extended data? My theory is that the broadcast does provide the "total episodes in series" field, but the software in the box is simply not using it.

Bob
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I find this really annoying, mainly because I can't see the number of episodes in a series, although in "Recordings" it is possible to see the original DTT info by pressing "OK" rather than "info". I'm not sure I actually believe the explanation either; if most broadcasters consistently provide the "2/6" type data in the DTT info, why would they provide it differently in the extended data? My theory is that the broadcast does provide the "total episodes in series" field, but the software in the box is simply not using it.

Bob

The DTT broadcast data just has text added to the synopsis to say x/y or whatever, as the broadcaster sees fit. There is no specific field for it that the box can "carry over" programmatically without doing some unpleasant and error-prone heuristics like "does the start or end of the synopsis smell like x/y or S0xE0y, in which case cut it out and save it for later".
  • TimmyDTimmyD Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2017
    This is still happening and really annoying. The split second info is always far more informative than the 'enhanced' info. I'm guessing that as this thread is answered nothing will be done. Harrumph. As per the example above, generally the split second data will display more cast names or guest names on panel shows whereas the enhanced just shows a generic comment about a programme.
    edited December 2016
    TimmyD said:

This is still happening and really annoying. The split second info is always far more informative than the 'enhanced' info. I'm guessing that as this thread is answered nothing will be done. Harrumph. As per the example above, generally the split second data will display more cast names or guest names on panel shows whereas the enhanced just shows a generic comment about a programme.

Yup, this is one of the annoyances I have with Youview. Its awful when it comes to seeing what episode numbers are and total episodes etc.

Its never going to be fixed by the looks of it. 

The enhanced data as you say is usually inferior to the standard data, I still can't get my head around that. Hey ho.
    edited January 2016
    TimmyD said:

Yes it's even more frustrating as we're tantilsed for a split second with useful information - disappointing that a simple correct hasn't been made yet