Car(e) to Share how Peter Kay is in Demand?

skillerskiller Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Archived Posts
As many of you may know, a new 6-part series from Peter Kay ("Peter Kay's Car Share") begins on Wednesday 29 April at 2130 on BBC1(HD), with the second episode at the same time the following evening - both of these episodes being repeated the evening thereafter.

As some of you may also know, this series is one of a growing trend from the BBC of televisual content being made available online via the iPlayer prior to its OTA broadcast. Indeed the entire 6 episode run has been on iPlayer since last Friday (24/04/15), rather leaving LCN001/101 to take on the role of Auntie's catch-up service on this occasion.

Now, this is an ideal example to check out the "On-Demand from the future EPG" which was introduced on Humax boxes in the update from 23/10/14 (20.9.0) - yes, it has taken me 6 months to check out this feature!

Well, episode 1 on Wednesday has the "play" icon next to it on the EPG and the "Play On Demand" button is there if you press "i" for Info . Tick VG for episode 1.

But episode 2 on Thursday is a let-down. There is no "play" icon next to it. If you press "i" for Info, there is no "Play On Demand" button. Dirty great cross in a red pen for episode 2. However, if you move across to the "More Episodes" tab, then you can see both episodes 1 and 2 available for playback via iPlayer.

If there is a logical reason behind what appears to me to be an inconsistency then could someone please explain?

On a related note, does anyone know if there is a good reason why the complete catalogue of player content isn't found via the YouView universal search? For example, in this case, only episodes 1 and 2 are found for this series, even though all 6 are available within iPlayer itself. One possible reason which would make sense is that it only searches the current EPG. Well, this would make sense until you remember that the search also is capable of returning content which isn't on the EPG at all, such as all those pesky subscription services like Netflix, Now TV et al. I have asked this question before but didn't get an answer. :-(

Lastly, this little monologue has reminded me of another question I've had for a while. Why does the "More Episodes" tab only display those available on demand. I'd like it to show future broadcasts too, just like the way the search displays both. (But that's another matter.)

Comments

• SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for highlighting this skiller. Your description was great and easy to follow. There does seem to be an issue here and we've passed this on to be raised. Once we have more information we’ll let you know.
  • skillerskiller Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Sanj said:

Thanks for highlighting this skiller. Your description was great and easy to follow. There does seem to be an issue here and we've passed this on to be raised. Once we have more information we’ll let you know.

Thanks, Sanj. :-)

I don't know if you're aware, but this particular "advance screening" (the full 6 episodes) will be withdrawn from the iPlayer tomorrow night, after which each episode will appear shortly after its OTA broadcast as is the norm with most iPlayer content. I only mention this in case it affects the timing of your investigations.