YouTube App/Player (#33) - Is this EVER going to appear on the YouView Platform?

NickNick Posts: 594Member
edited 14 September 2017 in Support
Having a YouTube app/player on our YourView box would be a great addition to the out-of-the-box functionality and is one of the most requested apps via this forum for over 3 years.

It is part of Keith's consolidated list of improvements and feature requests
33. On-Demand: Additional apps - Youtube, Lovefilm, Netflix, NASA TV, BFI etc 
https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/consolidated_list_of_improvements_and_feature_requests_...

Yes, there are other threads that have requested this...
https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/can_youtube_access_be_added_to_the_player_listhttps://c...
https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/youtube_query
https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/can_youtube_access_be_added_to_the_player_list
https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/what_on_demand_players_would_you_like_to_see_with_youvi...
https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/please-add-spotify-and-youtube
https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/you_tube_app-7rfx0
https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/can_i_access_the_internet_using_the_youview_box_to_watc...
etc, etc, etc, etc...

Yes, we *could* theoretically contact YouTube and ask for them to consider writing an app/player for the platform.  Good luck with that... Tell me when you find their 'contact us' email account and I'll send one as well, I won't hold my breath though.  Don't get me started about their forums as well!

and yes I have added my 2p-worth of comments to the whole shebang in this community forum but I would like the latest official reply from YouView about this.  Especially as we now have new app/player section on the platform which to me seemed a lot like shuffling papers around and saying "see we're working on it!".

It's been asked for ever since YouView was trialing and keeps on being asked for once very few months by someone new who doesn't know the full score about the long running lists of bug fixes and improvements that Keith has compiled.  Good job BTW Keith! :)

To me, EVERY new streaming video box released today has a YouTube app but on the YouView platform all I can see is a creaking sign blowing in the wind, a bit of tumbleweed rolling past the camera, boarded up windows (you get the picture).  Personally I think that Netflix only came on board through customers asking them directly rather than any real push from the YouView team themselves, I hope I'm wrong but *3 YEARS* guys??  seriously?

Comments

• churchwardenchurchwarden Posts: 795Member
    edited 4 May 2017
    I totally agree with you, Nick. However.....

The YouView STATED purpose of this forum is to provide user-user support with bugs and problems. It is NOT a forum for users to suggest ideas & improvements. They made this crystal clear.

This fact became glaringly obvious over the first year when a list of over a 100 user-requested modifications was created, very ably curated by Keith.

As time went by few, if any, of these suggestions were implemented by YouView. Following growing dissatisfaction about this, YouView clarified the purpose of the forum as above.

Repeating demands for ideas that have been requested numerous times before - often years ago - is a pointless and boring waste of time, especially for those of us who saw them the first time round - & the second - & the third - etc. etc. Everything has been tried to change this - and nothing seems to deter YouView from totally ignoring requests from the user community.

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
  • NickNick Posts: 594Member
    edited May 2015

The YouView STATED purpose of this forum is to provide user-user support with bugs and problems. It is NOT a forum for users to suggest ideas & improvements. They made this crystal clear.

This fact became glaringly obvious over the first year when a list of over a 100 user-requested modifications was created, very ably curated by Keith.

As time went by few, if any, of these suggestions were implemented by YouView. Following growing dissatisfaction about this, YouView clarified the purpose of the forum as above.

Repeating demands for ideas that have been requested numerous times before - often years ago - is a pointless and boring waste of time, especially for those of us who saw them the first time round - & the second - & the third - etc. etc. Everything has been tried to change this - and nothing seems to deter YouView from totally ignoring requests from the user community.

I know, I know Churchwarden. Just wanted to vent my frustration with the severe lack of progress. That's why I haven't been on this forum for a while ), what's the point? !?

Having Youtube, Spotify, et al is a major sellong point fir any system and hopefully the powers that be get their proverbial fingers out and we see a raft of new apps and players *flooding* the Youview platform.
    edited December 2016

Me too, Nick. There are others on this forum who are more technical than me, so I tend to leave the hand-holding in their capable hands. I did originally think that my long-time experience with a range of pvrs would equip me to provide useful points to feed into the ongoing development of YouView. When it became clear that this was not the case, I decided just to keep a watching brief. So, like you, I spend my time these days on more fruitful ventures....
  • RoyRoy Posts: 12,962Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Keep banging on about it, Nick, and about everything we are asking for that YouView are ignoring, lest they smile a smug smile of satisfaction when the demands stop, and they can go back to dancing to the tune only of the two big ISPs who have hijacked the platform for their own commercial ends.

YouView can tell us what they want the forum to be, but we will listen and act accordingly only when we can tell them what we want YouView to be, and they listen and act accordingly.

And if instead of listening to the voices giving YouView valuable feedback about customer wants and desires, feedback that many organisations would be immensely grateful for, they try to suppress these, I'll be leaving with you, and YouView can jolly well do their own tech support :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
    edited December 2016

That's laughable Roy. Keep banging away? What's been happening for the past 3 years? What good has it done? Just what is the point of continuing to do it? TOTAL waste of time, as you yourself know only too well, if you're honest. It only became a vehicle to provide information about updates under constant and extreme pressure.

The SOLE reason for the forum is to encourage people to do EXACTLY what you, and a few other, knowledgeable and stalwart users are so ably doing - provide free user support. Nothing more.

And I challenge you to show me evidence to the contrary.
  • Michael GMichael G Posts: 876Member
    edited December 2016

Here's another point of view. YV meets our needs for a recorder and one stop shop for the main catch up players. That's really all we want. It's fine if extras are added, but I'm coming to the point of view now that wanting *everything* on one platform (whether that be TV, box, whatever) is not sensible. They break. They become outdated. The services on them come. And they go.

So now I think you build up your suite of services from a variety of sources according o your needs and budget. That way you spread the risk. Anyone desperate for YouTube could add it tomorrow with a streamer solution from as little as £30, from various big name brands.

Personally I'd prefer YV concentrate resources in ensuring basic functionality works consistently rather than chasing new services.

But that's just me, and my two penn'orth.
    edited December 2016

Hi Churchwarden

I can point you, if to nothing else, at least to the fix that allowed SCART to be used alongside HDMI, rather than either/or.

And thinking further, I can point you to the 'Confirm Deletes?' option, both the first fix when there was no option to avoid this message which abolished it altogether, and the second fix after the outcry that said this was pretty dumb, which gave us today's sensible option to choose if we wanted to Confirm Deletes or not.

It may be that the recent one-shot 'Delete all recordings?' was a customer-led enhancement also.

I know none of these are new Players; I have a suspicion that the commercial implications of having a given player or not outweighs customer wishes, and that we only have Netflix because the commercial implications were successfully worked through, and not because we devoutly wished for it, and said so. Though even that may have rated as a small push in the right direction, and an encouragement to Netflix that this was worth doing. OTOH, maybe it was just that someone at BT crooked his little finger; who knows?

But YouView do listen to us; just not remotely with the attention we perhaps deserve.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful’ - William Morris
    edited December 2016

Correcting a shoddily implemented change, and implementing industry standard compatibility come nowhere near listening to the forum users, Roy.
    In reality, the users of this forum have been roundly ignored for 3 years, undeniably. I couldn't care less whether they are listening or not, if nothing changes.

There's a lot of difference between listening and hearing.
    G.K. Chesterton
    edited December 2016

Hi Michael G

YouView was supposed to be 'one box to rule them all'. The devices I have bought to do what YouView can't do, can, often embarrassingly, also do what the YouView box can do, and do it better,

e.g. My Apple TV can do Netflix better and NowTV better, and the Samsung TV can do the big four players. As can the iPad I bought the Apole TV to cast from, as YouView doesn't do this.

At the moment, YouView is hanging on by its twin tuners to record, its backwards EPG., and a couple of players I may never watch.

That's a pretty tenuous grip, but one that might never even have come to my notice if I had not had to buy these other devices to augment the YouView box with capabilities it simply does not possess,
    edited December 2016

Hi Churchwarden

Well, I would challenge you, in turn, to prove that any of those things would have happened in the absence of forum pressure.

But let's see what the FreeView Connect boxes bring; and if a bit of stiff competition does not persuade YouView to invest in an ear trumpet at last, and apply it to our enhancement requests list.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,272Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I wasn't going to comment on this thread but I am now. Roy, what you have implied above is quietly outrageous.

NO  isp may effect, influence or restrict any part of YouViews retail development. That is a fact set in stone and is in the YouView Charter.

I'm going to get YouView shortly, because its now 'ready enough' for me and because I also agree with Michael G. It does exactly what it says on the tin and for the majority of people this is enough. Comments like this -
    Having Youtube, Spotify, et al is a major sellong point fir any system.
    And
    To me, EVERY new streaming video box released today has a YouTube app but on the YouView platform all I can see is a creaking sign blowing in the wind, 
    For the majority of people, no they are not major selling points and YouView will not be blowing anywhere just because it doesn't have them. They would be a nice suite of additions to be sure but certainly not essential to the success of anything. Well, thats my two penn'orth anyway.
    edited December 2016

Hi Visionman

Quietly outrageous I agree, but evidence-based :-(

https://www.btplc.com/Sharesandperfor...

See slide 32

I realise you may have to take off your double-strength rose-tinted glasses to see what the rest of us see there, but common sense alone should tell you that BT and TT were never going to pump their much larger contributions into YouView in return for only making suggestions meekly from the passenger seats, and wanted their hands on the steering wheel in return.

Which there you can see BT stating in black and white (or at least, in blue and green, when seen through neutral lenses).

And if YouView has not been hijacked, then how come there's a vacuum in the direction that YouView was originally going, which Freeview Connect is rushing to fill?

Meanwhile, I'm having more than a little difficulty locating the document of which you speak - could you kindly provide me with a URL?
    edited December 2016

Well, I did say "Here's another point of view."

I'm in a similar position, with apps and services duplicated across different kit, and different methods of accessing them. My point was that having everything I want on one box is unlikely to ever happen and isn't even particularly desirable, for lots of reasons.

As I've said before, we wanted a recorder. The catch up players and ease of their use was a plus. I didn't know what it had aspired to be. 

Having had low expectations, I wasn't disappointed.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,069Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I agree Michael, but I don't think that I had low exectations of YouView. I had high expectations that the box would do what the blurb said it would do and it does it well. It seems reasonable to buy a product for what it does, not to buy it and then moan that it doesn't do things that you would like it to do.

The development of the YouView platform is to be welcomed, but new features or apps that are developed after purchase should be seen as a bonus. As far as I am aware other PVRs don't get new features after purchase.
    edited December 2016

Yes. "Low expectations" is maybe the wrong phrase . "Met my expectations" is better :-)
    edited December 2016

My DigitalStream grew On Demand after purchase.

I guess expectations have waxed and waned as YouView was developed.

Certainly, at the time I was a full retail price early-adopter, I was led to expect constant development and improvement of the platform, and not that I was buying a product with a static feature set.

The way it was being sold changed a little later on, to put more emphasis on what it actually did at the time, and not what it might do later.

But there must be a cohort of us from around the time I bought my box who feel that it's promise has not been fulfilled.

To say nothing of the triallists who came before, and were led to believe that their feedback, not just about bugs but about features, would be valued only to find that was not the case :-(
    edited December 2016

"it's promise has not been fulfilled."

How apt in the run-up to a general election!

Amazon list a DigitalStream, but it makes no mention of On Demand:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Stream-DHR8205U-Set-Top-Freeview/dp/B003OVECH4

Wondering what the the three USB sockets could be used for, I had a look for a manual on the DS website. The link says file does not exist.
    edited December 2016

Nor it does :-( Try this link, though:-

http://www.dstreamtech.com/upload/BRD...

Turns out the BBC iPlayer came and went; technically entirely possible, but financial considerations for the makers (it wasn't free to provide the service) led to it being pulled. Sound familiar?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,272Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

No.
    edited December 2016

Got it. I will have a browse tomorrow.
    edited December 2016

Visionman said :-

"No".

But two months ago, he was in the thick of one such discussion:-

https://community.youview.com/youview...

Terrible thing, short term memory loss :-)

PS: How's that citation coming along?
  • Thomas Wastell-campbellThomas Wastell-campbell Posts: 10Member
    edited May 2015
    No e mail
  • Thomas Wastell-campbellThomas Wastell-campbell Posts: 10Member
    edited May 2015
    No email
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,807Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

@Roy well found for the BT document. It does appear to confirm that they have leveraged more control over the future direction of Youview.
    However I will pick up on this point

"And if YouView has not been hijacked, then how come there's a vacuum in the direction that YouView was originally going, which Freeview Connect is rushing to fill?"

It could be said that Youview are rushing to counter this freeview connect threat with the deal to put Youview in the latest Sony TVs, which to extent shows that Youview is not entitrely hijacked by the big ISP's yet.
    It's function is exactly as what we expect the upcoming freeview connect to be. In other words backwards EPG with the main catch up players, that is integrated into the smart TV platform of choice - in this case sony's android platform.

Regarding the YouTube app crisis ( 3 years in the making) , we now do have a special "app section" , they're going to want to fill it with something other wise it will just be a bit silly.

I guessing, but it wouldn't surprise me if The introduction of this special new section is more about allowing Youview to alter its price structure for the harder to monetise apps. So maybe we're now on the eve of a majority at Youview in favour of new functionality and apps such as The massively popular YouTube?
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,807Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

@Roy well found for the BT document. It does appear to confirm that they have leveraged more control over the future direction of Youview.
    However I will pick up on this point

"And if YouView has not been hijacked, then how come there's a vacuum in the direction that YouView was originally going, which Freeview Connect is rushing to fill?"

It could be said that Youview are rushing to counter this freeview connect threat with the deal to put Youview in the latest Sony TVs, which to extent shows that Youview is not entitrely hijacked by the big ISP's yet.
    It's function is exactly as what we expect the upcoming freeview connect to be. In other words backwards EPG with the main catch up players, that is integrated into the smart TV platform of choice - in this case sony's android platform.

Regarding the YouTube app crisis ( 3 years in the making) , we now do have a special "app section" , they're going to want to fill it with something other wise it will just be a bit silly.

I guessing, but it wouldn't surprise me if The introduction of this special new section is more about allowing Youview to alter its price structure for the harder to monetise apps. So maybe we're now on the eve of a majority at Youview in favour of new functionality and apps such as The massively popular YouTube?
  • scottscott Posts: 1,614Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

Some of the comments on here are boringly inane...YouView has moved forwards (albeit slowly) but still moved on. There are many platforms that haven't delivered as much as the marketing hype (in fact most) but not even bothered to try to progress. Personally I think YouView are doing a great job and keeping things moving (a tad more speed would be great).
    Everyone makes freeview connect into this great saviour when it hasn't even launched yet and there is some dissent in that camp also, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that being the great saviour (but I will hold commment until it actually releases and see how it compares to what YouView offers at that point).
    Again from my point of view (I admit I am a BT TV customer) YouView does everything I want it to (and shortly will take things to a whole new level ;-) ).......

You have to buy an item for what it does, not what it might do. A 'free' TV service is always going to move slower than a revenue generating subscriber service...thats just fact of life.
    edited November 2016

Just to clarify my comments above here is a little about what I was alluding to above...

Freeview Play dissent

http://advanced-television.com/2015/05/05/techuk-challenges-digital-uks-levy-on-freeview-play/

BT future

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/05/first-preparations-for-expanded-bt.html

All personal opinions (but everyone on here seems to like to air thier's so why not :-) )
    edited December 2016

So techUK want Freeplay's technology for nothing.

I'd like a Porsche 911 Carrera on that basis, but I don't think anybody is going to give me one :-(

But as long as techUK are allowed to write their own enabling technology, if they so choose, instead of licensing the Freeplay code, then fine, that is their choice.

If the interfaces are locked up, though, then well, umm.....

And you might have forgotten, or never known, Scott, that I did not buy a YouView box on the basis of getting the leavings from the BT and TT 'revenue generating subscriber services' ; if I had known what it was going to turn into, I might have left it on Richer Sounds' shelves.
    edited November 2016

So Roy what did youview promise in writing that they haven't delivered when you bought the box.

If talk talk and in particular BT hadn't pushed for what they wanted my guess is you would have got even less than youview have delivered.. But that we will never know..
    edited December 2016

If you look back to 2012, Scott, you will find that the YouView ads made great play of 'subscription-free'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_XrDo...

a direction which set my expectations, and no doubt the expectations of other early paying adopters, as to a core value of YouView in a world of subscription services, which as we know, have a different ethos.

And I'm sure that was where YouView genuinely thought they were going at that time, though this was an aim they could not, alas, stick to.

Can I sue for breach of promise? Hardly.

Am I entitled to feel miffed? Absolutely.