The Perils of the 8 Second Salute

skillerskiller Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Feedback
Firstly, apologies for the number of screenshots in this post - I hope they don't slow down your device too much!

Can anyone say if I am alone in experiencing the following?

I am one of the apparently very few fortunate people who own a DTR-T1000 that performs extremely well and has done since I got it just over two years ago. The number of times I have had to perform an 8 second reset is probably countable on the fingers of no more than both hands.

But the last time I did it seemed to coincide with some strange behaviour on the scheduled list in MyView. To test this out, I did it again earlier this afternoon and the test proved fruitful.

Here is my list prior to performing the 8 second reset...

Page 1 of 5:

Page 2 of 5:

Page 3 of 5:

Page 4 of 5:

Page 5 of 5:

...And here is my list after performing the 8 second reset...

Page 1 of 4:

Page 2 of 4:

Page 3 of 4:

Page 4 of 4:

Now... where do I start with this mess??

1) For anything set with an initial Series Record, the associated "Record" is now on the SD channel - eg Decimate BBC ONE YORKS instead of BBC ONE HD. This has resulted in BOTH the SD and HD programmes being recorded. (This has luckily caused no multiple channel clashes so far!)
Decimate 14/05
Pointless 14/05
Beat The Brain 14/05
Shark 14/05
Britain's Got Talent 16/05
Home Fires 17/05

2) The Game's Series Record is now NEXT Thursday 21/05 rather than tonight 14/05, thus it looks like tonight's episode will be missed entirely. (There is no red R icon on tonight's show to confirm this.)

3) Some have disappeared altogether!
Have I Got News For You 15/05
Atlantis 16/05
The National Lottery: In It To Win It 16/05
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell 17/05

The eagle-eyed amongst you may wonder how I had a "Series Record" entry but not a "Series" entry for Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (a situation not normally possible when the series hasn't even started yet!) - well, the reason for that may be related to this problem.

Sorry for the long post. This, if nothing else, is a friendly warning to people that the 8 second reset may not be so harmless as you might think.

Check your scheduled list afterwards!!!

Or is it just me??

Comments

• JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Oh! Interesting . I'll be sure to do a before and after if I use the reset. Thanks skiller. Maybe another one for Youview to take a look at?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Joe2 said:

Oh! Interesting . I'll be sure to do a before and after if I use the reset. Thanks skiller. Maybe another one for Youview to take a look at?

Not much 'Maybe', but a lot of 'Certainly'.

Though 'maybe' the box can't cope with such a long schedule - though it 'certainly' ought to?

Skiller, dare you try another soft reset to see if things change again, or stay in this consistent, if incorrect, state now?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • skillerskiller Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Joe2 said:

Bugger! I've literally just corrected my schedule to how it was/should be only moments before I read your request here!

It was still incorrect over 4 hours later, but as you say, another reset may well have somehow made it remember how it should have been, or made it even more random, or done absolutely nothing... Who knows? I may try the experiment again later...

PS: Is 5 pages really such a long schedule? That's shorter than average for me! :-)
    edited August 2015
    Joe2 said:

I've since tried this again and I still get similar problems. The last time I tried it, I gave it about an 8 hour break before giving it another 8 second reset as Roy suggested above. The result was inconsistent, but still incorrect - ie another list of slightly wrong entries, but a different one. :(
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Just a thought -

Does the 8 second salute - cause/nessitate  a rebuild or rtefresh  of the EPG data - if so is it a case of the EPG data still being (re)built/finalised   at the point when the recording scheduler is searching the EPG for the next program in a series to include in the My view scheduling list.
    edited December 2016
    zulu17 said:

Just a thought -

Does the 8 second salute - cause/nessitate  a rebuild or rtefresh  of the EPG data - if so is it a case of the EPG data still being (re)built/finalised   at the point when the recording scheduler is searching the EPG for the next program in a series to include in the My view scheduling list.

The EPG is pretty dynamic, and is constantly being refreshed from the broadcast stream, outside of any time that anything else might affect it.

That said, we might hope that any request to access the EPG would be put on hold until the schedule was agreed to be quiesced during the run-up to the execution of that request.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited March 2017
    Skiller

I see no response from YouView to this thread, which is a bit reprehensible.

But I am optimistic (albeit with no firm basis for this) that things may change when the fix for the multi-transmitter issue that trophytr5 found (plus whatever further skeletons the investigation found hiding in that particular cupboard) comes out.

Note however that I said 'change'. 'Improve' may be devoutly wished for, but might be more of a stretch :-)
    edited August 2015
    Roy1 said:

Skiller

But I am optimistic (albeit with no firm basis for this) that things may change when the fix for the multi-transmitter issue that trophytr5 found (plus whatever further skeletons the investigation found hiding in that particular cupboard) comes out.

Note however that I said 'change'. 'Improve' may be devoutly wished for, but might be more of a stretch :-)

Tbh, I don't feel as though I am entitled to a response from Sanj & Co as this is just a "community" forum rather than an official "support" forum as far as I'm concerned. If an official rep cares to help then that's a bonus! :)

Yes, it had crossed my mind that trophytr5's magnificent work a few months ago may well be linked in some way to my symptoms. I also wouldn't be surprised if a connection were to be found with stormy's complaints.

What baffles me is that I've not seen or heard of anyone else reporting the same symptoms as I'm experiencing! :/
    edited December 2016
    Roy1 said:

Skiller

Tbh, I don't feel as though I am entitled to a response from Sanj & Co as this is just a "community" forum rather than an official "support" forum as far as I'm concerned. If an official rep cares to help then that's a bonus! :)

Which is why I only said 'a bit reprehensible' :-)

What baffles me is that I've not seen or heard of anyone else reporting the same symptoms as I'm experiencing!

As Tolstoy so nearly said:-
    “All happy YouView boxes are alike; each unhappy YouView box is unhappy in its own way.”
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The behaviour you see there is also very similar to what I have been seeing with the latest update.

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/june-software-issue-with-scheduled-recordings?topic-rep...

Curious.
    edited September 2015
    stormy said:

The behaviour you see there is also very similar to what I have been seeing with the latest update.

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/june-software-issue-with-scheduled-recordings?topic-rep...

Curious.

Yes, I did suggest a possible link to your problems in one of my previous posts up-thread.

But I'm not sure how related they are really (if at all), as I first noticed my symptoms in April-ish so at least one software version (21.10.0) earlier than your reports.
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    stormy said:

Curious.

Yeh, I missed the link earlier on. The behaviour of the swapping things around in the schedule only started to happen for me since the last update but it was doing exactly as yours (not with the 8 second re-boot but after going into standby).

Is your machine still swapping things around now? I think my swapping was due to the fact my machine seemed to keep losing its TV signal since the last update but only seems to happen in Eco High. 

At the moment its working in Eco Low ok (with the odd failed recording).
    edited September 2015
    stormy said:

Curious.

Hi stormy,
    As far as I'm aware, my schedules only get mucked around with after an 8-second reboot (presumably a more severe power-down too), but there's no harm done simply by putting it into stand-by as I do that all the time.

It's still happening, but thankfully I very rarely have the need to reboot the box.

(I have it permanently in Low-Eco mode.)