NowTV Entertainment and Sport Bundles - Will these EVER be on YouView??

NickNick Member Posts: 594
edited 9 August 2017, 7:07AM in Archived Posts
The NowTV package currently provided for on the YouView Platform provides access to only a 1/3 of the actual bundles currently available for all other platforms. Being a Retail box user we are missing out on the Entertainment and Sports bundles listed below (I think Talk Talk and BT customers have limited access to them via an app but they still are not fully integrated into the EPG).

ENTERTAINMENT Month Pass £6.99
  • Sky ATLANTIC
  • Sky LIVING
  • ITV Encore
  • Sky 1
  • Comedy Central
  • Disney Channel
  • ABC Studios
  • Fox
  • Discovery Channel
  • Nickelodeon
  • Sky ARTS
  • Gold
  • MTV
  • Nick Jr
  • 250 Box Sets of TV shows
Sky SPORTS Day Pass £6.99, Sky SPORTS Week Pass £10.99
  • Sky SPORTS 1
  • Sky SPORTS 2
  • Sky SPORTS 3
  • Sky SPORTS 4
  • Sky SPORTS 5
  • Sky SPORTS F1
  • Sky SPORTS News HQ
What we need is all three bundles to be made available across the entire YouView platform *and* to be integrated into the EPG with program recording.

YouView management are aware of the growing complaints from customers and the official response from them was shown in the Q&A session OVER EIGHT MONTHS AGO.
Worth pointing out that adding HD Now TV movies and Entertainment to the existing app wouldsimply let YouView catch up on all the other media players out there.
A: Susie: There is a piece of work we need to undertake before YouView can offer a full NOW TV service. We are currently scoping out this project but we can't share any further detail or timings at this stage. We will bring you the latest news here first, so do watch this space for further information on this topic. 
Susie Buckridge (Director of Product)
Now considering that the YouView platform has been going for over 3 years and it has had Now TV for nearly all that time one would have thought that the scoping of the project, negotiations with Sky and all the development work would have been done.  It's not that it just appeared last August and caught them off guard.

An article in ISP Review (http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/01/concern-skys-now-tv-service-talktalk-bts-youview-tv-pla...) in January 2015 also details what Sky has to put up with with the YouView platform.
At present customers who take one of BT or TalkTalk’s YouView (IPTV) based TV products can also use a special NOW TV app on the related STBs to access the live channels via their proprietary systems, although it was revealed last month (here) that Sky has to pay an annual fee of £250,000 to the ISPs in order for them to include support for this.
Sadly the native YouView platform, which is supported as part of a Joint Venture by BT, TalkTalk, theBBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Arqiva, doesn’t currently accommodate live streaming over-the-top (i.e. the NOW TV catch-up content would work but not the live TV channels). Naturally Sky would like to cut out the £250k fee it pays to BT and TalkTalk, yet this will only work if it can reach an agreement with YouView’s management.

A Sky Spokesperson told ISPreview.co.uk (canned statement):
Sky remains committed to giving YouView customers the full NOW TV experience and has been working for some time with YouView management to achieve this.”

Early rumours suggested that if Sky cannot reach an agreement with YouView then it may decide to pull either NOW TV’s live channel support or possibly the entire app from BT and TalkTalk’s YouView based IPTV platforms, which some reports claim could allegedly impact almost 1 million subscribers. But Sky, which refuses to divulge how many NOW TV customers it has via BT and TalkTalk’s service, have since informed ISPreview.co.uk that the actual figure is less than a million and they suggest that the earlier claim is based on potential customers.
My questions to the YouView team are:
  1. Don't you think you should focus on getting the full NowTV package available to all of your customer base and integrated into the EPG as ipTV channels ASAP?
  2. What else needs to be scoped out?
  3. How come a cheap Now TV box for £19.99 can give me the Entertainment bundle (and the price includes 3 months of TV) over WiFi while my Humax DTRT2000 costing £180 cannot over my Ethernet cable?
  4. How long do you think Sky will continue to pay £250,000 to you if you cannot fully support their packages?
  5. Will all of your customers have the NowTV bundles fully integrated into their EPGs or will it only be done for BT and Talk Talk customers like usual and Retail box customers miss out again?

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    6. And if you do this, or even if you don't, will you please make provision for filtering Search results to exclude NowTV bundles that we are not subscribed to?

The Movies Search on YouView has been unusable since Day 1 due to being swamped with NowTV entries; it will be quite unacceptable if NowTV Entertainment and Sport bundles swamp those categories also.

And please note that the filter needs to be sufficiently granular to cope bundle by bundle; I have Entertainment (though not on YouView, which is something of an own goal for you and Sky, if I can borrow from the Sports category momentarily), but not the other two, and would need my Searching to reflect that.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • Michael GMichael G Member Posts: 876
    Easy solution. Chromecast comes with free content offers currently worth more that the dongle itself, including free 3 months Now TV Entertainment full pass. Used it for GofT. As the account is set up with Now I can add other elements should I wish, although with Amazon Prime, Netflix, and a handful of buy/rent apps, we've more than we can eat already.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭
    Whatever the outcome on the generalities of the full NOW TV service being available on YouView I think it doubtful that it will ever be incorporated into the EPG or recordable, is that even possible on any other platform/device?
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM
    Michael G said:

Easy solution. Chromecast comes with free content offers currently worth more that the dongle itself, including free 3 months Now TV Entertainment full pass. Used it for GofT. As the account is set up with Now I can add other elements should I wish, although with Amazon Prime, Netflix, and a handful of buy/rent apps, we've more than we can eat already.

Alternative, not solution.
  • AshAsh Member Posts: 269 ✭✭
    @nick
    Currently nobody can get now TV entertainment or sport through a youview box.

Talk talk customers used to be able to get now TV sports through their boxes. If they had an active sports pass and the sports channels were available through the youview EPG because now TV had an agreement with talk talk, which meant the talk talk hosted the channels over IP. Support for the sports pass was withdrawn from talk talk youview a few months ago.

I think the main problem now is that you can only get access to IP channels. If access to those channels is provided by an ISP. You can't currently get IP channels from content services such as now TV. This is what needs to change.

To be perfectly honest now. I don't see any other reason why now TV isn't available as the boxes are capable of holding now TV account details and talking to now TV, so as long as you have fully active now TV account with active passes there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get access to extra services on the box. It is my belief that it is currently the software limitation, which prevents this from happening and that limitation should have been removed a long time ago.Am I correct in thinking that youview now supports unicast streaming technologies?
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 May 2015, 1:22PM
    redchiz said:

Whatever the outcome on the generalities of the full NOW TV service being available on YouView I think it doubtful that it will ever be incorporated into the EPG or recordable, is that even possible on any other platform/device?

Exactly redchiz , and that's why they should do it. No other platforms can, Youview has the potential to do this. It's becoming a busy competitive market. Youview needs to play to its strengths to stand out. They should put them in the EPG in HD and make the live streMs recordable. Both Youview and nowtv would gain from this.
    edited 17 May 2015, 10:45AM
    Have a search on Twitter for "nowtv Youview" There are a few conversations concerning this there. When I have time I'll try and post a few here.
    redchiz said:

I take your point Joe, but surely this would undermine both Sky's own satellite service and their resold content, variously available and recordable through the YouView EPG by subscription with either TalkTalk or BT. Of less concern to Sky themselves perhaps, who win in every scenario. But for the other stakeholders in YouView? It keeps coming back to whether these are technical or commercial reasons.
  • NickNick Member Posts: 594
    edited 16 May 2015, 2:25PM
    Michael G said:

@ Micheal G, aye I've been looking at the Chromecast as well. Like redchiz said it's a good alternative but surely the best solution would be full integration into the Youview EPG across all platforms? TBH I've got a sneaking suspicion that we'll never get a fully integrated Now TV bundle solution (with the ability to filter them out of searches) anytime soon... Hope they prove me wrong!
  • NickNick Member Posts: 594
    edited 16 May 2015, 2:30PM
    Ash4 said:

@nick

Talk talk customers used to be able to get now TV sports through their boxes. If they had an active sports pass and the sports channels were available through the youview EPG because now TV had an agreement with talk talk, which meant the talk talk hosted the channels over IP. Support for the sports pass was withdrawn from talk talk youview a few months ago.

I think the main problem now is that you can only get access to IP channels. If access to those channels is provided by an ISP. You can't currently get IP channels from content services such as now TV. This is what needs to change.

To be perfectly honest now. I don't see any other reason why now TV isn't available as the boxes are capable of holding now TV account details and talking to now TV, so as long as you have fully active now TV account with active passes there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get access to extra services on the box. It is my belief that it is currently the software limitation, which prevents this from happening and that limitation should have been removed a long time ago.Am I correct in thinking that youview now supports unicast streaming technologies?

@Ash, sorry about that. I was just poking my head over the fence that separates the Retail box desert landscape and the BT/Talk talk box lush green fields of content and getting a little green with envy :)

It'sa bit pants that nno one seems to have a good integrated version of Now TV on their respective platform.
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Ash4 said:

@nick

Two-thirds (or is it three-quarters?) of TalkTalk customers don't seem to envy the minority who take boosts. Or not enough to pony up the dough for these, anyway.

I wonder what the comparable figure for BT is?
    Ash4 said:

@nick

Which very much falls in line with TalkTalk's business model, it's there if you want it, easy to dip in and out with only 30 days commitment at a time. I gather far and away the most popular of their Boosts is the Kids Boost - the usual offerings from Nick, Disney etc. - generally available at £5 a month, often discounted to £2.50 which is what I am paying at the moment. Say what you like about TalkTalk, but they do offer flexibility and good value.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM
    redchiz said:

Joe>
    Youview needs to play to its strengths to stand out. They should put them in the EPG in HD and make the live streMs recordable. 
    Who's they Joe?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    redchiz said:

redchiz>
    It keeps coming back to whether these are technical or commercial reasons.
    Indeed. But there are also two others - time and resources. Unicast was only launched recently. 
    Ash4 said:

@nick

Roy>
    I wonder what the comparable figure for BT is?
    20% on BT and 20% on Virgin. 25% of TT users take Boosts. Of those, 5% take Sky Sports. As Dido once famously said, more people watch Peppa Pig than any other content.
    edited 16 May 2015, 6:35PM
    redchiz said:

Visionman - I'm referring to both parties involved - sky behind nowtv & Youview. I'd imagine for this to happen it would need willingness from both companies.
    edited 16 May 2015, 7:17PM
    redchiz said:

redchiz - I don't think it does undermine sky's TV service. Nowtv exists on many platforms already. With a well thought out pricing structure that doesn't compete with its own TV service. If it was a threat, to sky's primary TV service then I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be in existence at all.

Look at the huge investment into Nowtv boxes sold at just 9.99. Thats a colossal vote of confidence in the business model, and shows that they can't be worried about cannibalising their primary TV service. At that price they're not making much if any money from the hardware, but are focused on getting into as many homes as possible, and raking it in with the subscriptions.

Youview is another growth area, and sky are aware of that. It also comes with the major bonus of given them the Trojan horse effect to tempt the BT and talk talk (and PlusNet) subscribers. Customers that would ordinarily be inaccessible behind competitors paywalls.

So it would in my view, and perhaps Sky's view be sensible to give a little bit extra on Youview to tempt these consumer groups.
    From a Youview retail point of view it would naturally be a great selling point.But as for BT and talk talk... That's probably why it hasn't happened yet.
    redchiz said:

If it was a threat, to sky's primary TV service then I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be in existence at all.
    I would alter that perspective slightly and ask if YouView had not come on the scene would NOW TV be in existence at all. Where was it before? Not needed at all.
    edited 16 May 2015, 9:44PM
    Joe2 said:

Have a search on Twitter for "nowtv Youview" There are a few conversations concerning this there. When I have time I'll try and post a few here.

Here's some direct responses on Twitter from nowtv regarding implementing the full service on Youview. 2 screen grabs taken from the same conversation , and I think show very positive intent from nowtv regarding Youview:
    imageimage
    redchiz said:

Journalist - "Is this designed as a 'YouView killer'?"

Sky - "Not quite."

Me - my @rse.
    redchiz said:

Sky has, I believe about ten million subscribers, BT and TT about 2 million on YouView combined. Retail numbers struggle to get off the X axis. Virgin has about 4 million.

There are about 26 million TV licence holders in the UK.

So Sky has about 12m potential NowTV subscribers, maybe more, of which less than 20% are YouView users.

No strategy in which NowTV only came into being because of YouView makes sense to me; and one in which Sky has the triple-play option of Movies, Entertainment and Sport on NowTV outside YouView, but only Movies on YouView makes even less sense.

It's not even that the YouView box was an enabler; NowTV on it is crippled, and as Joe remarks above, Sky brought the NowTV box out for peanuts, to practically flatten the barrier to entry for the 10 million non-Sky non-YouView potential customers. And even the YouView ones, if they want more, or other, than Movies.

NowTV happened because it at last became technically and economically feasible to go after the 12 million dish/cable holdouts with a sort of Sky Lite, and make a profit on this.

I expect that Sky thought that NowTV on YouView would be going into a market free of content beyond FreeView, and would rapidly turn into the full NowTV offering because of user pressure. I expect they were disappointed on both counts.

But expect NowTV - full NowTV - on all FreeView Play devices launching any time soon, as Sky continue to pursue the 80% of potential subscribers who are not blessed with a YouView box.
    redchiz said:

Visionman

NowTV will never be a YouView killer until you can record it.

Which you could do easily on a PVR if Sky would permit it. It's not too big a jump in rights management as Sky programmes are already recordable on their own box, and NowTV subscribers are being counted in with Sky box subscribers, apparently.

As above, I do expect to see NowTV on every FreeView Play box, where there is the potential for it to be recordable on FP PVRs, and for it to be integrated into the Search on all FP boxes.

Watch this space......
    edited 17 May 2015, 10:45AM
    Joe2 said:

And another teasing conversation on Twitte regarding the implementation of the full nowtv service on Youview :
    redchiz said:

I agree with nearly all your comments above Roy. But Now TV was indeed brought into existence to combat services like YouView and Netflix. Or to coin it another way, all IPTV.  -
     “There is this new pay-light segment that has emerged and we want to capture it,”
    But I need to revise my Sky Sports figures - Its 2% of BT and TT users that take it -
    Tristia Clarke, managing director, consumer, at TalkTalk, says TalkTalk is “really not in the game of moving into premium. We are by definition targeting customers on a budget, so it is [pay-TV] toe in the water people.”

Now TV is available on the TalkTalk TV service, and Clarke says she is “quite keen on it” and does not particularly see it as a rival. Overall, she adds, about 25% of the 1.1 million customer base, about 275,000, regularly choose to take an additional pay-TV “booster” – from £5 for a kids’ or entertainment channel pack to £30 for Sky Sports. Just 2%, or 22,000, opt for Sky Sports.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/media-blog/2014/aug/10/sky-sports-weekly-pass-bskyb-budget

Sky saw a new market and wanted a piece of it, which of course was/is only good business acumen. In regard  FP, to get onto/into all FP boxes and TVs Sky would have to negotiate individual deals with each manufacture, by-passing FP completely. But in regard to becoming an app on smart TVs or boxes, I have wondered why they haven't done this already.

redchiz said:

Hi Visionman

I agree completely with what you say about pay-lite. It was redchiz' assertion that NowTV was a response to YouView (and by implication, YouView alone) that I was taking issue with. But all IPTV, especially Netflix, certainly.

In regard to FreeView Play, yes certainly, Sky would need to deal with each individual box maker. Because, unlike YouView with all its lockdowns on box spec and services, FreeView Play is not much more prescriptive as to what else PVRs should and shouldn't do than FreeView is to what else TVs should and shouldn't do.

Netflix will have the same issue, as will YouTube. Whether they will like this better than dealing with YouView, where they get the one big Yes/No (great if you get the Yes, not so great if you get the No) I can't say, but my guess is they will; if these services are on PVR A, are the makers of PVR B going to dare to say no, or ask too much money, and lose out on sales to the more content-rich PVR A?

Finally, what you said about NowTV not being on smart TVs or boxes confused me a little, as I popped my Apple TV on to catch Wayward Pines on catchup. And I'm pretty sure I can get it on my Roku 3 if I wanted to watch it in the lounge.
    Not on my most recent Samsung smart TV, though, certainly.
  • AshAsh Member Posts: 269 ✭✭
    edited 25 November 2016, 2:38PM
    redchiz said:

To help clear things up a bit at the link below is a list of devices that now TV is available on. This list includes LG smart TVs and LG smart Blu-ray players now TV just lists them generically as LG. The list also shows the maximum video quality level available on the different devices.

Roy probably knows this already, but on now TV. There are two content categories on demand, which is box sets/catch up and live TV, which is self-explanatory. On demand tends to be 720p and live TV tends to be SD with the exception of the Apple TV were live TV is 720p. A fact which I know annoys joe.

Although the quality for live TV is listed as SD in most cases it is actually streamed at DVD quality, which is slightly higher than standard SD channel

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality
    redchiz said:

Thanks Ash, but I already had that link. It gives licence to be sure. Compression rates are important here. I believe only Netflix and BT, using CDNs, belt out true HD quality over the internet. Netflix Ultra at 8Mbps and BT at an official 7.5. 
  • Paul19Paul19 Member Posts: 116
    edited 17 December 2016, 7:18PM
    redchiz said:

Shame NowTV has failed to work on LG TV and EE boxes for over a week now, all users get it error stating there is a Render issue. NowTV state the usual rubbish. Re- boot router, switch TV off and change from wifi and wired and wired to wifi. Really is very poor service. Don't know how they get away with it. Also Game of Thrones has become slow and boring. Even the Wife, who previously loved it, has given up on it. Oh I had to watch it via Apple TV as the LG app does not work!
    edited 18 May 2015, 9:39AM
    redchiz said:

" Also Game of Thrones has become slow and boring. Even the Wife, who previously loved it, has given up on it"

Thanks this has suitably lowered my expectation for the new series. Meaning I'll probably enjoy it more when I get round to watching it through a reinvigorated Nowtv on Youview :)
    redchiz said:

If they let you take your YouView box to the old folk's home :-)