Won't record BBC1HD

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    trophytr5

Can we take it that the channels on 800 and 801 are both BBC 1 HD?

When a regional programme comes up on BBC 1 SD, e.g local news, can you check and confirm this is Beds/Camb, rather than East Midlands or Lincs/Yorks?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • trophytr5trophytr5 Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 12:36PM
    No.  They are SD.  (E Mids and York/Lincs) and when I unhide them and try to watch - nothing, just the station identifer and then a black screen

Channel 1 is definitely BBC1 SD East.
    Installed the signal booster today.  Then re-tuned.  Signal strength for BBC1 HD (and Sandy Heath generally) is now around 70%, but it is still not recording BBC1 HD.

Had  a response from Humax about this and they recommended doing a Maintenance Mode Software reset, keeping recordings.  I have did this, after the re-tune above, and the problem is still there.

Humax say if that doesn't work, try the same thing, but deleting recordings.  I will try this when I have watched a couple of things which I failed to record on the 9200

The good news is that I have installed the YouView IOS app and that works (as much as anything else!!).  So I can (hopefully) start recording the season of Breaking Bad which starts while I am on away on holiday
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    trophytr5 said:

Installed the signal booster today.  Then re-tuned.  Signal strength for BBC1 HD (and Sandy Heath generally) is now around 70%, but it is still not recording BBC1 HD.

Had  a response from Humax about this and they recommended doing a Maintenance Mode Software reset, keeping recordings.  I have did this, after the re-tune above, and the problem is still there.

Humax say if that doesn't work, try the same thing, but deleting recordings.  I will try this when I have watched a couple of things which I failed to record on the 9200

The good news is that I have installed the YouView IOS app and that works (as much as anything else!!).  So I can (hopefully) start recording the season of Breaking Bad which starts while I am on away on holiday

If it's corrupt recordings I wonder if this thread might shed some light: https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/recording-problems-b2mk9m64cbnfi

If you don't have time to read it I think the deleting of recordings fixed it for the OP.
    Chris suggested an attenuator, rather than a booster, for good reason.

I think that might be the next thing to try, and I have high hopes that it will prove effective, as it has in the past in such cases.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    trophytr5 said:

Apart from demonstrating that while you can lead a redchiz to water, you can't make him drink, how does this advance the issue here, which is utterly clearly the 'competing transmitters' issue which we know YouView boxes are vulnerable to, if not quite what the mechanism is?

Which reminds me that once again, we should politely ask YouView to stop denying this manifestly real problem, and get a van full of tech gear out to a location like trophytr5's to find out exactly what a YouView box is thinking when (a) tuned in such a location and (b) asked to record a channel it can perfectly well play, but not record, in such a location.

I bet FreeView Play boxes, in common with all other Freeview devices known to humanity, aren't going to exhibit this silliness.
    edited 30 May 2015, 8:08PM
    trophytr5 said:

I do not think it can be hard drive corruption because:-
    a) it occurs only on BBC1HD not random recordings;
    b) when it does record BBC1HD the recording is OK.

In PC terms a more likely candidate is corruption of the system settings (like corruption of Windows systems files). But I would have thought that a complete MM reset with deletion of recordings (assuming this includes a reformat of the hard drive) would have cleared any corruption
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM
    trophytr5 said:

Thats interesting.I'm in a competing transmitter area (Wales/Granada/IOM) and my YV boxes asked me which I'd like to select. I record BBC1 HD often and have never had a problem (thankfully).
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Next step is the at800 filter, when it arrives.  Then I'll go down the attenuator route. 

Have completed the MM with delete.  Set it to record Casualty on BBC1HD and Quartet on BBC2HD.  In MyView, Casualty isn't recording, Quartet is.

Interesting, in the Guide, Casualty is shown as recording with a red disc surrounded by a solid white ring.  Quartet has a red disc, but the white ring is dotted.  Does this have significance?
    trophytr5 said:

@roy
    From what I understand, redchiz drank and all was good.

Yes I agree there have been problems with multiple transmitters (Myself and Visionman (above) haven't had this problem). There have also been many reports of TVs and other receivers working fine on lowish/normal power when the youview requires a stronger signal (I have had this problem and possibly the redchiz problem too). I would say none of these are "utterly clearly" what is causing the OP's issue until he fixes it.

btw. I after a recent chat with Humax I'm afraid, come launch, you might need to lower the freeview Play pedestal :-(
    Damn GS software. Got stuck trying to post :-(

Blowed if I'll type it all again, but here's a screenshot I got before I had to kill it:-
  • Chris_ThatcherChris_Thatcher Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited 2 March 2017, 11:43AM
    Hi Roy,

I understand why you may advise to keep the attenuator in place after a retune.
    My reasoning for removing the attenuator after a retune, is based on my experience with the new COM8.
    My YouView box had to be initially tuned to the new MUX (by performing a retune). In other words, the YouView box can update if it "knows about" an existing MUX, but doesn't "find" a new MUX until a retune is initiated. Therefore, if the variable attenuator is adjusted so that it loses programmes in the 800s, but still retains the normal LCNs, a retune can then be performed. After that, the attenuator can be removed, so that maximum signal can be received from the wanted TX. The box won't then know of the existence of the weaker TXs, so won't tune them.

By the way, I always "copy" what I type, before sending it, just in case there is a problem such as the one you had.

Chris.
    Hi Chris

Good plan about the 'copy'; my Notes app on this iPad is a place of safety for many past postings while being composed, but I got caught out this time, for the first time :-(

I don't know the mechanism by which the YouView box detects channel (LCN) changes, and even new channels (LCNs), on the muxes it knows about. I think every channel carries, in its digital data stream, details about all the other channels available on FreeView from that transmitter, which would potentially include channels on a new mux, so that implies the YouView box can see this data, but can't exploit it on the fly, and the code to handle this data, which requires opening up a new channel (in the original, analogue, C21-C68 sense) is only available at the tuning stage.

Which perhaps implies that the YouView box only takes notice of the C21-C68 channels it has actually tuned, going forward. And this is based on channel rather than mux as such, since the 800/801 LCNs are on a known mux; so I think it is tied up with what you were talking about above, but it's based on C21-C68 channel, not mux per se.

In which case though, you would be quite right about pulling the attenuator after tuning. And if the C21-C68 channels that are giving trophytr5 his 800 and 801 extra BBC 1 regions were suppressed during tuning, they would not be looked at during normal use after that, even if they were quite strong.

So pulling the attenuator after tuning, to restore the strongest possible tuning overall, would indeed be the best strategy.

We will no doubt find out, if the at800 filter is not effective here; and I fear it may not be, as the problems it addresses happen at the top end, C57 and up, I believe, and not at the bottom, C21 end.
    trophytr5 said:

All my other freeview receivers go ballistic with this problem, including my 2 BT Vision boxes. They all tune in to Freeview Wales. But the YV (both) didn't. How bizarre. 
    I am not an expert but this was advised to me by two aerial installers who go in my local.

Granada region, competing areas - Freeview Wales and IMO, All my Freeview boxes tune into BBC Wales if left unattended, so they advised to start an auto retune then immediately pull the aerial lead from the box(es), when it reached 50%, plug the aerial back in and they would all skip the FV Wales channels. It worked. I don't know if this helps but I've added it for extra info. These things can be tricky to pin down.
    It adds strength to the theory that if you can skip a channel when tuning, then that channel will not bother you afterwards, no matter how strong it is.

The advice you were given is probably regional, as it depends exactly which C21-C68 channels you wish to skip, but the principle is sound; if you want to skip C21-C23, start with the aerial out, and plug it back in when X seconds have elapsed, X to be found by an educated guess followed by fine-tuning trial and error.

These things would be less tricky to pin down if YouView offered a bit more than just a % complete bar; all my TVs offer at least an indicator of which channel they are on - and you can see where the muxes are by the ones it takes its time on - and some of the TVs give much more information than that.

As could/should the YouView box, if there was an Advanced User setting we could turn on to get this extra info, 'behind' the current over(?)-simple interface it provides for its non-technical audience.

I think that while a simple interface is praiseworthy, the box has to be sufficiently complex that no-one ever needs to go behind that simple interface; and as here, the box is not yet complex enough to support that simplicity.
    Roy1 said:

It adds strength to the theory that if you can skip a channel when tuning, then that channel will not bother you afterwards, no matter how strong it is.

The advice you were given is probably regional, as it depends exactly which C21-C68 channels you wish to skip, but the principle is sound; if you want to skip C21-C23, start with the aerial out, and plug it back in when X seconds have elapsed, X to be found by an educated guess followed by fine-tuning trial and error.

These things would be less tricky to pin down if YouView offered a bit more than just a % complete bar; all my TVs offer at least an indicator of which channel they are on - and you can see where the muxes are by the ones it takes its time on - and some of the TVs give much more information than that.

As could/should the YouView box, if there was an Advanced User setting we could turn on to get this extra info, 'behind' the current over(?)-simple interface it provides for its non-technical audience.

I think that while a simple interface is praiseworthy, the box has to be sufficiently complex that no-one ever needs to go behind that simple interface; and as here, the box is not yet complex enough to support that simplicity.

The advice I was given was regional, but thought it may help. Its a pain in the **** to be sure, but it works. As you said, pure trial and error.
    edited 31 May 2015, 7:08AM
    trophytr5 said:

Next step is the at800 filter, when it arrives.  Then I'll go down the attenuator route. 

Have completed the MM with delete.  Set it to record Casualty on BBC1HD and Quartet on BBC2HD.  In MyView, Casualty isn't recording, Quartet is.

Interesting, in the Guide, Casualty is shown as recording with a red disc surrounded by a solid white ring.  Quartet has a red disc, but the white ring is dotted.  Does this have significance?

Sunday morning - Casualty has now appeared in recordings as Failed
    Visionman said:

I am not an expert but this was advised to me by two aerial installers who go in my local.

Granada region, competing areas - Freeview Wales and IMO, All my Freeview boxes tune into BBC Wales if left unattended, so they advised to start an auto retune then immediately pull the aerial lead from the box(es), when it reached 50%, plug the aerial back in and they would all skip the FV Wales channels. It worked. I don't know if this helps but I've added it for extra info. These things can be tricky to pin down.

Unfortunately, the "problem" channels in this case are interleaved around the Sandy Heath channels so the OP would need to find out which unwanted channels he's getting, figure out the relative percentage number and disconnect/connect the aerial a few times during tuning.
    I see the sense in what Roy was suggesting about leaving the box on BBC1HD

I have set up a few test recordings.

1. Making sure that the YV box is on BBC1HD, record MoD (ugh!!!) on BBC1HD at 0825.  This is followed by recording Gardeners World on BBC2HD at 0830.

2. Making sure that the YV box is on BBC1HD, record Sat. Kitchen BB on BBC2HD at 0930 followed by The Big Questions on BBC1HD at 1000.

3. Making sure that the YV box is on BBC2HD, record a BBC2HD program then record a BBC1HD program starting after it starts amd before it ends (to be specified)

4.  Making sure that the YV box is on BBC2HD, record a BBC1HD program then record a BBC2HD program starting after it starts amd before it ends (to be specified)

I generally leave the YV box watching 107 BBC News HD, unless it is forced elsewhere by 2 recordings elsewhere.

TEST 1 results - Both MoD and Gardeners World are recording.  Both show red disc with an R surounded by a white doted circle.

Pending recording have the red disc and a solid white circle.  Completed recording seem to have a red disc, a solid white circle and a tick

1. Making sure that the YV box is on BBC1HD, record MoD (ugh!!!) on BBC1HD at 0825.  This is followed by recording Gardeners World on BBC2HD at 0830.

2. Making sure that the YV box is on BBC1HD, record Sat. Kitchen BB on BBC2HD at 0930 followed by The Big Questions on BBC1HD at 1000.

3. Making sure that the YV box is on BBC2HD, record a BBC2HD program then record a BBC1HD program starting after it starts amd before it ends (to be specified)

4.  Making sure that the YV box is on BBC2HD, record a BBC1HD program then record a BBC2HD program starting after it starts amd before it ends (to be specified)

I generally leave the YV box watching 107 BBC News HD, unless it is forced elsewhere by 2 recordings elsewhere.

TEST 1 results - Both MoD and Gardeners World are recording.  Both show red disc with an R surounded by a white doted circle.

Pending recordings have the red disc and a solid white circle.  Completed recording seem to have a red disc, a solid white circle and a tick
    edited 31 May 2015, 7:46AM
    Visionman said:

I don't think that the "pull the aerial" approach is going to work for me.  Too hit and miss for my background in system testing!!

When I get the attenuator (ATT), I assume that the pricess would be as follows. 
    1. Set YV boc to the strongest of the two 800 range BBC1 regional channels.
    2. Plug the ATT into the line. 
    3. Adjust the ATT until the signal strength on the channel gets to zero (or close).
    4. Re-tune (hopefully there will still be enough signal left on other transmitters!)
    5. Remove ATT

Repeat each time a full re-tune becomes necessary
    trophytr5 said:

al

I am aware that putting FreeView Play on a pedestal may just be the prelude to it going down the toilet :-)
    trophytr5 said:

al

I am aware that putting FreeView Play on a pedestal may just be the prelude to it going down the toilet :-)
    edited 31 May 2015, 8:04AM
    trophytr5 said:

Pending recordings have the red disc and a solid white circle.  Completed recording seem to have a red disc, a solid white circle and a tick

Both programmes in Test 1 completed recording and recording stopped om time
    Visionman said:

Good plan indeed. Your background shows :-)

At step 3, it may be enough that the Quality drops below 100%, if this happens well before the Signal Strength drops to zero.

The variable attenuator I have has a 6dB/12dB range, which reduces the signal in a range of 25% down to 6.25%, but will not drive a signal to zero, unless the YouView box implements a threshold and does that itself.

(NB: I don't have weak channels to try this on, as I don't have competing transmitters; I bought the attenuator to investigate an issue that a handful of us were having with Film 4. Which Sanj kindly got fixed for us in the end at Film 4 itself, by them changing something or other; the attenuator was always a long shot, and it did not hit the target here.)
    edited 31 May 2015, 9:05AM
    Visionman said:

Signal quality on 800 and 801 seems to be between 40% and 60%.  Just managed to watch each of them and they were breaking up a little bit.

May have to "suck it and see" to find out at what point YV fails to detect transmitter.  Could take some time!
    edited 31 May 2015, 9:08AM
    trophytr5 said:

Both programmes in Test 2 are recording.

Test 3 set for this afternoon.  Hotel India at 1800 BBC2HD followed by News at 1830 on BBC1HD
    Visionman said:

Indeed so. We have seen that even TVs will hang on to a channel if they have earlier been tuned to it, even though on a retune they will let go.

You may need to retune a few times here. But if Chris is right, as he may well be, you might as well just bang the attenuator up to max, and as long as this drops the channels you don't want without dropping any that you do, take it off after the tuning, and try the box then.

If it does drop channels you want, though, then you will have to tweak the attenuator down and tune again. But a binary chop should minimise the number of trials required.
  • Chris_ThatcherChris_Thatcher Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited 18 December 2016, 9:33AM
    Visionman said:

Hi Roy and trophytr5,

I think Roy's idea is a good one. You could also, just turn the attenuator up until you lose picture on both the 800 channels (screen will just go blank). Then perform a retune.

I believe Roy and myself are both "barking up the same tree", so to speak. In that we both believe your reception of 3 transmitters is what's causing the YouView box problem.

BBC1HD from Sandy Heath (wanted) is on UHF channel 21, BBC1HD from Belmont, Lincs (unwanted) is on UHF channel 28 and BBC1HD from Waltham, East Mids (unwanted) is on UHF channel 58.
    The remove/replace aerial plug trick won't work in your area, because transmitter channels from Sandy Heath, Belmont and Waltham are all interleaved.

I know this is a pain for you trophytr5, but can you let us know what signal quantity and quality readings are on BBC1HD and BBC2HD (101 and 102). They should be the same, as both are from the same multiplex (MUX). If you're getting different readings from each, then this points to reception of different transmitters.

It's a great pity that it's possible to perform a manual tune with a YouView box. It would make life so much easier for people in your situation! You would then be able to tune specified UHF channels, only.

Best regards,

Chris.