Won't record BBC1HD

Comments

• trophytr5trophytr5 Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited 31 May 2015, 9:48AM
    Visionman said:

I am not an expert but this was advised to me by two aerial installers who go in my local.

Granada region, competing areas - Freeview Wales and IMO, All my Freeview boxes tune into BBC Wales if left unattended, so they advised to start an auto retune then immediately pull the aerial lead from the box(es), when it reached 50%, plug the aerial back in and they would all skip the FV Wales channels. It worked. I don't know if this helps but I've added it for extra info. These things can be tricky to pin down.

BBC1HD and BBC2HD were both 50-55% strength, 100% quality.  I fitted the booster and they went up to 70-75 %strength.  The other transmitters  - channels 800 40%/90%,  801 - 50%/20%

I'm going to have to get the ATT on-line as I am not willing to give Maplins £13 for the same thing I can buy on line for £4
  • Chris_ThatcherChris_Thatcher Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited 18 December 2016, 9:33AM
    Visionman said:

I am not an expert but this was advised to me by two aerial installers who go in my local.

Granada region, competing areas - Freeview Wales and IMO, All my Freeview boxes tune into BBC Wales if left unattended, so they advised to start an auto retune then immediately pull the aerial lead from the box(es), when it reached 50%, plug the aerial back in and they would all skip the FV Wales channels. It worked. I don't know if this helps but I've added it for extra info. These things can be tricky to pin down.

Hi trophytr5,

I don't blame you for not wishing to part with £13, when you can get the same thing on line for just £4. I've just had a similar situation involving an updated IC chip for my Hi-Fi, €29 + P/P, from Germany. It was just £8.97 inc P/P ("buy it now") from China, via a popular auction site! Guess which one I chose?

The fact that your BBC1HD & BBC2HD are the same signal strength & quality as each other, rather scuppers my assumption that you're receiving them from different transmitters. So, in theory, there shouldn't be a recording problem on BBC1HD. I'm now scratching my head in dismay!

Cheers,

Chris. 
    edited 31 May 2015, 10:38AM
    trophytr5 said:

I see the sense in what Roy was suggesting about leaving the box on BBC1HD

I have set up a few test recordings.

1. Making sure that the YV box is on BBC1HD, record MoD (ugh!!!) on BBC1HD at 0825.  This is followed by recording Gardeners World on BBC2HD at 0830.

2. Making sure that the YV box is on BBC1HD, record Sat. Kitchen BB on BBC2HD at 0930 followed by The Big Questions on BBC1HD at 1000.

3. Making sure that the YV box is on BBC2HD, record a BBC2HD program then record a BBC1HD program starting after it starts amd before it ends (to be specified)

4.  Making sure that the YV box is on BBC2HD, record a BBC1HD program then record a BBC2HD program starting after it starts amd before it ends (to be specified)

I generally leave the YV box watching 107 BBC News HD, unless it is forced elsewhere by 2 recordings elsewhere.

TEST 1 results - Both MoD and Gardeners World are recording.  Both show red disc with an R surounded by a white doted circle.

Pending recordings have the red disc and a solid white circle.  Completed recording seem to have a red disc, a solid white circle and a tick

Both programmes in Test 2 completed recording
    edited 31 May 2015, 11:19AM
    Visionman said:

Chris, something somewhere is going wrong. At the moment, I am trying to detect the conditions under which the error occurs/does not occur, then hopefully we can use that information to find a fix.

The problem is that the YV box does not seem to be recognizing that it is time to start recording (and sometimes to stop recording) on BBC1HD.  As far as I know it is only BBC1HD that is affected, but that might just be that I haven't triggered the same behaviour on other channels

This does not happen when the box is watching BBC1HD and that is the channel to be recorded (Test 1).   We might expect that the BBC2HD recording would have failed in Test 2, if the YV box HAS to be watching the channel to be recorded.  This might mean that the problem only occurs when the channel to be recorded is on a different MUX to the channel being currently watched.

If Tests 3 or 4 fail (recordings on the unwatched channel fail), I think we have found what the problem is, and that it affects recordings only on  BBC1HD, but I would have no idea why.

If Test 3 AND 4 pass, then I propose to move on to testing ACROSS DIFFERENT MUX. I am unsure whether it makes a difference which of the various MUXs is being watched or whether it is just a different one.

In case anyone thinks it might be my set up that is giving rise to the problem, I have (working from the wall)

Aerial Booster
    Humax T1000 YouView box, connected to the booster output by coax, and to the TV by HDMI.  The YV is connected to the router by a LAN cable
    Humax 9200 PVR connected to the output coax socket on the YV and connected to the TV by a SCART lead (no HDMI on the box). No LAN connection
    NOW TV box connected TV by HDMI and to router by WIFI
    LG 32 Netcast (like SMART only more stupid and it won't grow up!!!) TV connected to output coax socket of 9200T and to router by LAN cable
    Also external hard drive connected to TV by USB

This set up has been in place for about a year and there wasn't a problem until about the start of May.
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    trophytr5 said:

1. Making sure that the YV box is on BBC1HD, record MoD (ugh!!!) on BBC1HD at 0825.  This is followed by recording Gardeners World on BBC2HD at 0830.

2. Making sure that the YV box is on BBC1HD, record Sat. Kitchen BB on BBC2HD at 0930 followed by The Big Questions on BBC1HD at 1000.

3. Making sure that the YV box is on BBC2HD, record a BBC2HD program then record a BBC1HD program starting after it starts amd before it ends (to be specified)

4.  Making sure that the YV box is on BBC2HD, record a BBC1HD program then record a BBC2HD program starting after it starts amd before it ends (to be specified)

I generally leave the YV box watching 107 BBC News HD, unless it is forced elsewhere by 2 recordings elsewhere.

TEST 1 results - Both MoD and Gardeners World are recording.  Both show red disc with an R surounded by a white doted circle.

Pending recordings have the red disc and a solid white circle.  Completed recording seem to have a red disc, a solid white circle and a tick

So leaving the youview box on the same mux as the recording works? Is that correct? Leaving the youview box on a channel from a different mux causes the recording to fail. Is this for any mux or only a certain mux? I wonder if the 800 channels are a red herring and the "problem" mux(es) is actually one or more that you are using apparently problem free but it's telling the box to check the signal from the channel on its transmitter which is no good so doesn't bother to record.

If there was any way to find which muxes/transmitters your youview box had decided to tune to this process would be so much easier. (This fact we all agree upon).

I'm concerned the attenuator will drop your wanted signal too much so I think you need to prepare for some (more) trial and error.
    edited 31 May 2015, 11:48AM
    trophytr5 said:

"So leaving the youview box on the same mux as the recording works? Is that correct? ".  It appears so, although there are tests be be run to give me a little more confidence in the statement.

"Leaving the youview box on a channel from a different mux causes the recording to fail?" Not yet tested

"Is this for any mux or only a certain mux? " Don't know, but I hope that it isn't related to only one MUX because that will be a bugger to find.

"If there was any way to find which muxes/transmitters your youview box had decided to tune to this process would be so much easier. "  My assumption is that the box has tuned itself to the Sandy Heath transmitter as the signal strength is consistent with the signal for BBC1 SD East which we know is Sandy Heath.  The other transmitters (channels 800 and 801) show much weaker signals.

Though having said that, I should check the signal strength on channels from every MUX. Is it possible that I could be picking up different MUX from different transmitters?
    edited 18 December 2016, 9:33AM
    Visionman said:

Hi trophytr5,

Your set-up sounds just right, although the aerial booster is probably unnecessary (if you mean an aerial booster in your room). If it's outside, then it's beyond your control.
    I assume you have the YouView box set for RF pass-though (either that, or you use the box in low eco-mode), otherwise your Humax 9200 and TV would get no signal when the YouView box is in low power standby.

I still think that by using an attenuator, then retune to remove the channels in the 800 range, you may solve the problem of failed recordings (because it may be that the YouView box is trying to record from a non-existent BBC1HD MUX), which is causing the recording to fail.

I have read in another thread that someone who receives from both Mendip (Somerset) and Wenvoe (Wales), has to leave their YouView box in standby on the 800s if they wish it to record from an 800 channel, otherwise the recording fails.

This is all speculation and trial & error, but we should be able to solve your problem.

Chris.
    edited 31 May 2015, 12:38PM
    Visionman said:

The (loaned) home aerial booster (this is in addition to the landlords loft fitted one) was only added yesterday, in response to suggestions that the signal from the aerial would be too weak for good recording.

I will be taking it out again once the problems have been resolved.

The YV box is in low eco mode. It needs to be to use the IOS App remotely.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    trophytr5 said:

I think mux is, ever so slightly, a red herring, as BBC 1 HD is on the same mux wherever it is coming from. The key here is channel, in the C21-C68 sense.

It's true that each of these that the box tunes to references a mux, but we need to be able to say that Mux 1, on Sandy Heath, whichever channel it comes in on, is 'different' from Mux 1 from Belmont or wherever.

There are two ways a YouView box can determine when it ought to start and stop a recording; every LCN (the channel numbers you see on the EPG) carries the start/stop signals for that LCN itself, and additionally, as a separate block of digital information, the start/stop signals for all the other LCNs from that transmitter.

Keyed, perhaps (or perhaps not) to whichever C21-C68 channels are carrying the muxes for that transmitter, which may be quite different to the ones carrying those muxes on the local, intended, transmitter.

I think that if the set is tuned to the 'proper' Sandy Heath BBC 1 HD, something it has no difficulty doing as trophytr5 has confirmed, then it will see the 'this LCN' start/stop signals, and BBC 1 HD recordings will work.

I further think that if the set is tuned to some other LCN, so it has to use the 'other LCNs' signal on that LCN to start/stop a BBC1 HD recording on the other tuner, that the 'other LCNs' signal is wrong or confused in some way, or at least that the YouView box is confused by it, and either does not see it, or tries and fails to get the BBC 1 HD signal from one of the other two transmitters involved here. Or possibly just off a C21-C68 channel that the 'other LCNs' signal is telling it to use, which it is not actually available on, to trophytr5's box in the Sandy Heath area.

Or something equally doomed to failure, anyway.

The matter may possibly be complicated by whatever LCN the second tuner happens to be set on; if this is the Sandy Heath BBC 1 HD, the YouView box may use the 'this LCN' start/stop signal from that second tuner in preference to the 'other LCNs' signal from the first tuner.

Which may make some tests look like they work, but actually they are contingent on whatever the second tuner is currently tuned to :-(

What we need here is for Stephen, or someone like him, to put an ice-pack on their head and dig into the code for all this to determine where things are going wrong.

Preferably in a van outside trophytr5's flat, wired to his aerial, and watched on an instrumented YouView box with debug On, to see precisely what is happening here.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 31 May 2015, 1:51PM
    trophytr5 said:

Checked the signal strength/quality on a channel on each of the 7 MUXs.

1 - 70/100
    2 - 70/100
    3 - 70/100
    4 - 80/100
    5 - 80/100
    6 - 80/100
    7 - 70/100

and for the 2 rogue channels

800 - 45/60
    801 - 50/91
    edited 31 May 2015, 1:53PM
    trophytr5 said:

"Which may make some tests look like they work, but actually they are contingent on whatever the second tuner is currently tuned to :-("

Which is why I am trying to force both tuners to be on the MUXs/channels I want before the start of recording.
    edited 4 March 2017, 12:36PM
    Test 3 - both recordings started.  Watching BBC2HD, recorded BBC2HD, then started recording BBC1HD. 
    Test 4  - watching BBC2HD, record BBC1HD, then record BBC2HD will start tomorrow morning at 1130
    The filter has arrived from at800.  I won't be fitting it until I have completed this series of tests, in case it fixes the problem.

Test 4 passed.

Next step - Test 5 - recording a channel (BBC1HD) from one MUX (MUX 3) while watching/recording a channel (BBC News HD)  from another MUX (MUX 7). This is the sort scenarion which gave rise to original problem.  I could just set it to watch the second channel, but if I record, it "locks" that tuner onto the channel.
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Test 5 failed!!  The BBC News HD programme recorded OK, but both the BBC1HD programmes I had set (one during the recording and one after) failed to record. 

This is good news, as it shows that I can provoke the error behaviour. As Tests 1-4 passed, I was starting ot think the problem jhad gone away

Test 6 will be the reverse, watch/record BBC1HD, record BBC News HD.  This one is going to be difficult to organise as I want to start recording BBC1HD BEFORE starting to record BBC News HD to make sure the tuner is locked onto BBC1HD before recording BBC News HD starts. 
    trophytr5 said:

Test 5 failed!!  The BBC News HD programme recorded OK, but both the BBC1HD programmes I had set (one during the recording and one after) failed to record. 

This is good news, as it shows that I can provoke the error behaviour. As Tests 1-4 passed, I was starting ot think the problem jhad gone away

Test 6 will be the reverse, watch/record BBC1HD, record BBC News HD.  This one is going to be difficult to organise as I want to start recording BBC1HD BEFORE starting to record BBC News HD to make sure the tuner is locked onto BBC1HD before recording BBC News HD starts. 

I am in total admiration of both your organisation and your resolve here, trophytr5.

I hope the mods at YouView are watching as you unearth clue after clue to help qualify this long-standing problem, and are ready to channel some development resource into bottoming the bugs underlying the 'competing transmitters' problem, based on your sterling work in this area.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 1 June 2015, 7:57PM
    trophytr5 said:

Thank you, Roy.

It's just the way I was trained to do this stuff
    Test 6 - watch/record BBC1HD (channel 101, MUX 3), then record BBC News HD (channel 107, MUX7) passed.  So it is possible that the problem is only with recording BBC1HD while watching a programme from another MUX (but this is not yet totally proven).  And I can't say whether it is "another" MUX or one or more specific MUXs (poss. MUX 7)

Test 7 - watch/record from ITV (channel 3, MUX2), then record BBC1HD (channel 101, MUX3) will start at 1230 today.
    trophytr5 said:

Test 6 - watch/record BBC1HD (channel 101, MUX 3), then record BBC News HD (channel 107, MUX7) passed.  So it is possible that the problem is only with recording BBC1HD while watching a programme from another MUX (but this is not yet totally proven).  And I can't say whether it is "another" MUX or one or more specific MUXs (poss. MUX 7)

Test 7 - watch/record from ITV (channel 3, MUX2), then record BBC1HD (channel 101, MUX3) will start at 1230 today.

This is great testing. Many users would have given up by now. btw Have you tried putting your postcode into the digitaluk website to get an idea of what signals you are getting? I get the impression your problem is coming from Belmont or Waltham. Their respective com7 muxes are uhf33 and uhf31 which could be stronger than Sandy's uhf32
    trophytr5 said:

Installed the signal booster today.  Then re-tuned.  Signal strength for BBC1 HD (and Sandy Heath generally) is now around 70%, but it is still not recording BBC1 HD.

Had  a response from Humax about this and they recommended doing a Maintenance Mode Software reset, keeping recordings.  I have did this, after the re-tune above, and the problem is still there.

Humax say if that doesn't work, try the same thing, but deleting recordings.  I will try this when I have watched a couple of things which I failed to record on the 9200

The good news is that I have installed the YouView IOS app and that works (as much as anything else!!).  So I can (hopefully) start recording the season of Breaking Bad which starts while I am on away on holiday

Do you mean you are secretly willing it to fail? I hope it's fantastic and forces youview to up their game.
    edited 2 June 2015, 10:17AM
    trophytr5 said:

Here's the postcode checker results.  It doesn't mean much to me, but hopefully the technically minded can interpret.  I have cropped off the actual postcode for security reasons. image
    trophytr5 said:

Installed the signal booster today.  Then re-tuned.  Signal strength for BBC1 HD (and Sandy Heath generally) is now around 70%, but it is still not recording BBC1 HD.

Had  a response from Humax about this and they recommended doing a Maintenance Mode Software reset, keeping recordings.  I have did this, after the re-tune above, and the problem is still there.

Humax say if that doesn't work, try the same thing, but deleting recordings.  I will try this when I have watched a couple of things which I failed to record on the 9200

The good news is that I have installed the YouView IOS app and that works (as much as anything else!!).  So I can (hopefully) start recording the season of Breaking Bad which starts while I am on away on holiday

Nope (and I will try to say this only vunz) - I agree with you here.
    trophytr5 said:

Uurgh - not three, but four transmitters in the picture. Key things to note are the bearing - is your aerial pointing at Sandy Heath, and has it got good rejection of Waltham, 120 degrees away (90 is the ideal) and Belmont, dead on, but in the other direction?

The other key thing is that Channel Number (in the C21-C68 range). There are no outright clashes I can see, but there are potentially some strong (green) channel numbers from other transmitters interspersed with the Sandy Heath ones.

It is at times like these that YouView's 'ease of use' hides away the stuff you need, like which channels you actually have tuned, and this is *so* annoying.

Though maybe a TV on the same aerial might show which C21-C68 channels have been selected?

I have just looked at my Samsung TV, and the Manual Tuning option tells me which channels/muxes I have tuned (9), and lets me refresh each one, which tells me how many LCNs are on that channel/mux, though not which ones. It doesn't tell me which mux each channel is carrying either, but I can get that from the site that trophytr5 is using above.
    Test 7 - watch/record from ITV (channel 3, MUX2), then record BBC1HD (channel 101, MUX3)  - PASSED!!  So it might be only MUX 7 that provokes the error

Test 8 - watch/record from 5USA (channel 21, MUX4), then record BBC1HD (channel 101, MUX3) is going to be run this afternoon.
    edited 2 June 2015, 1:15PM
    trophytr5 said:

Just been checking the TV channels (it comes off the aeria, through the booster, through the YV, through the 9200 into the TV.

Whether this tells you guys anything, I don't know.  I just noted a channel for each MUX.  The full list is the channels that I would normally watch or record

edited 2 June 2015, 1:19PM
    trophytr5 said:

And there no channels in the 800 range on the TV. 
    Oh dear!!  The aerial fitter has just been round and fitted the at400 filter onto the communal aerial.  So something has changed in the test environment and, if the problem still occurs, I might have to restart the whole sequence of tests again.

If the problem has gone away, then, I am sorry, but I won't be able to shed any further light of the "conflicting signal" problem.  Perhaps you'll find another volunteer to carry out the test program.  I would be happy to specify the tests for them.

I should know by tomorrow whether the at800 filter has solved the problem.

Interestingly, the aerial fitter tells me that he has been having a similar problem but in his case his Humax (a later model than mine) was not recording ITV HD and he gave up trying to solve it and records ITV SD instead.
    Hi trophytr5,

I think it's very unlikely that the at800 filter will make any difference to your reception of UHF channel 21 (BBC1HD etc), as the filter is intended to reduce signal levels generated by mobile phones and masts that use the 800 MHz range (UHF channels 61 - 68).

It may be that the at800 filter also contains contains a TETRA filter (to reduce interfering signals from below UHF channel 21). This may help in your case, as the MUX in question is on UHF channel 21.

Chris.
    edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM
    While he was there he really should have shown you what signal readings you were getting before and after the filter was fitted.

I have heard of TVs detecting a strong LTE signal and adjusting the gain control to match (reducing the signal at the tuner for all channels). Looking at your figures I don't think this is happening.
    Good news!!  I re-ran the test which showed the original problem - watch/record BBC News HD (channel 107, MUX 7) and record BBC1HD (Channel 101, MUX 3).  AND IT FAILED!!! So the at800 filter has not solved the problem

I had also set it to record earlier from BBC1 HD, Escape to the Country while tuned to BBC News HD and that partially Failed, in that is started recording and didn't stop.

The schedule was
    1. 1500 Tune to BBC News HD
    2. 1500 Start recording Escape to the Country (BBC1HD).
    3. 1600 Stop recording Escapr to the Country. 
    4. 1700 Start recording BBC News at 5 (BBC News HD)
    5. 1715 Start recording Pointless (BBC1HD)
    6. 1800 Stop recording BBC News at 5
    7. 1800 Stop recording Pointless

Results
    1. OK
    2. OK
    3. FAILED. Carried on recording
    4. OK
    5. FAILED (it was still recording Escape to the Country)
    6. OK
    7. OK

I have 3 recordings
    3 hours of Escape to the Country, Flog It, The Box and Pointless
    1 hour of BBC News at 5
    1 failed recording of Pointless

Next step - run Test 9 - watch record E4+1 (channel 29, MUX 5), record BBC1 HD (channel 101, MUX 3). There is nothing in the TV schedule that allows me to run this test tonight, but tomorrow looks good

Test 10 is watch/record something from MUX 6, then record from BBC1HD. and I think I can do that tonight using Spike at 2300 and White Oleander at 2345
    edited 2 June 2015, 6:36PM

Hi trophytr5,

I think it's very unlikely that the at800 filter will make any difference to your reception of UHF channel 21 (BBC1HD etc), as the filter is intended to reduce signal levels generated by mobile phones and masts that use the 800 MHz range (UHF channels 61 - 68).

It may be that the at800 filter also contains contains a TETRA filter (to reduce interfering signals from below UHF channel 21). This may help in your case, as the MUX in question is on UHF channel 21.

Chris.

"I think it's very unlikely that the at800 filter will make any difference to your reception of UHF channel 21 (BBC1HD etc), as the filter is intended to reduce signal levels generated by mobile phones and masts that use the 800 MHz range (UHF channels 61 - 68)."

You were correct

"It may be that the at800 filter also contains contains a TETRA filter (to reduce interfering signals from below UHF channel 21). This may help in your case, as the MUX in question is on UHF channel 21."

I have no idea, but how would we prove it