Won't record BBC1HD

Comments

• trophytr5trophytr5 Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited 2 June 2015, 6:38PM
    al said:

While he was there he really should have shown you what signal readings you were getting before and after the filter was fitted.

I have heard of TVs detecting a strong LTE signal and adjusting the gain control to match (reducing the signal at the tuner for all channels). Looking at your figures I don't think this is happening.

"While he was there he really should have shown you what signal readings you were getting before and after the filter was fitted."

If he was "on my dime", I might have asked him, if I had known to do it, but he wasn't (the landlords were paying for his work) and I didn't

Next time perhaps?
  • Chris_ThatcherChris_Thatcher Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited 18 December 2016, 9:33AM

Hi trophytr5,

I think it's very unlikely that the at800 filter will make any difference to your reception of UHF channel 21 (BBC1HD etc), as the filter is intended to reduce signal levels generated by mobile phones and masts that use the 800 MHz range (UHF channels 61 - 68).

It may be that the at800 filter also contains contains a TETRA filter (to reduce interfering signals from below UHF channel 21). This may help in your case, as the MUX in question is on UHF channel 21.

Chris.

Hi trophytr5,

There is no need to prove whether the at800 filter has TETRA filtering also, as your problem still exists. Even so, there are other HD channels on the same MUX. For that reason, I would expect all the other HD channels from the same MUX (MUX 3/BBCB, UHF 21) to have recoding or viewing problems, so I have to draw a blank.

Cheers,

Chris.
    edited 2 June 2015, 7:00PM

Hi trophytr5,

I think it's very unlikely that the at800 filter will make any difference to your reception of UHF channel 21 (BBC1HD etc), as the filter is intended to reduce signal levels generated by mobile phones and masts that use the 800 MHz range (UHF channels 61 - 68).

It may be that the at800 filter also contains contains a TETRA filter (to reduce interfering signals from below UHF channel 21). This may help in your case, as the MUX in question is on UHF channel 21.

Chris.

I suspect, given the fitters' comments on recording failures on ITVHD, that the problem occurs on other channels on MUX 3. But I experienced it on BBC1HD and so that is where I have been concentrating my testing.  I don't recall having a problem with recording BBC2HD which I probably record more than BBC1.  But that could be sheer luck.  Given the results of Test 6, it appears to be one-way conflict.  BBC News HD interferes with MUX 3, but not the other way round

If I can pin it down to a conflict between (as I suspect) MUX 7 and MUX3, I will also test on other channels on MUXs 3 and 7.

But I suspect I will run out of time to get it done this week and I am away for 2 weeks after that
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    trophytr5 said:

Good news!!  I re-ran the test which showed the original problem - watch/record BBC News HD (channel 107, MUX 7) and record BBC1HD (Channel 101, MUX 3).  AND IT FAILED!!! So the at800 filter has not solved the problem

I had also set it to record earlier from BBC1 HD, Escape to the Country while tuned to BBC News HD and that partially Failed, in that is started recording and didn't stop.

The schedule was
    1. 1500 Tune to BBC News HD
    2. 1500 Start recording Escape to the Country (BBC1HD).
    3. 1600 Stop recording Escapr to the Country. 
    4. 1700 Start recording BBC News at 5 (BBC News HD)
    5. 1715 Start recording Pointless (BBC1HD)
    6. 1800 Stop recording BBC News at 5
    7. 1800 Stop recording Pointless

Results
    1. OK
    2. OK
    3. FAILED. Carried on recording
    4. OK
    5. FAILED (it was still recording Escape to the Country)
    6. OK
    7. OK

I have 3 recordings
    3 hours of Escape to the Country, Flog It, The Box and Pointless
    1 hour of BBC News at 5
    1 failed recording of Pointless

Next step - run Test 9 - watch record E4+1 (channel 29, MUX 5), record BBC1 HD (channel 101, MUX 3). There is nothing in the TV schedule that allows me to run this test tonight, but tomorrow looks good

Test 10 is watch/record something from MUX 6, then record from BBC1HD. and I think I can do that tonight using Spike at 2300 and White Oleander at 2345

I love the way it is 'good news' when the at800 makes not a blind bit of difference, but given the investment you have made in testing this so far, I fully understand.

I myself have been known to say 'Thank God it still doesn't work' under certain test conditions :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    It dawned on me that, as I rarely watch live tv, my youview is probably always tuned to BBC1HD so I would never get a problem like this. I then wondered if this issue could be related to Sandy Heath rather than just the OP's system so I tried a (hopefully) similar test.

I set recordings for 2 programmes on BBC4HD. One finishing at 9, the other starting at 9. Set a recording for BBC1HD also starting at 9. Left the youview on BBC4HD before switching it off.

At about 930 I realised I probably should have left the youview box on I switched it back on in case it needed to show a message about having to switch over so I did that.

The result? Both BBC4HD programmes recorded but the BBC1HD programme was still in the scheduled section even though it had now been on for 40 mins. After a few minutes I checked that BBC1HD would tune ok so changed channel and it immediately started to record.

My thoughts are now that this is not a signal problem but a tuner allocation problem where one tuner is tuned to the recording channel and the other is tuned to the current channel (which happens to be the same channel) and I'm surprised it hasn't been stumbled upon before.

I realise my testing may well be flawed and I'm barking up the wrong tree so I'm happy to set the same timers as trophytr5 to try to get a better idea of what's going on.
    edited 2 June 2015, 9:31PM
    al said:

It dawned on me that, as I rarely watch live tv, my youview is probably always tuned to BBC1HD so I would never get a problem like this. I then wondered if this issue could be related to Sandy Heath rather than just the OP's system so I tried a (hopefully) similar test.

I set recordings for 2 programmes on BBC4HD. One finishing at 9, the other starting at 9. Set a recording for BBC1HD also starting at 9. Left the youview on BBC4HD before switching it off.

At about 930 I realised I probably should have left the youview box on I switched it back on in case it needed to show a message about having to switch over so I did that.

The result? Both BBC4HD programmes recorded but the BBC1HD programme was still in the scheduled section even though it had now been on for 40 mins. After a few minutes I checked that BBC1HD would tune ok so changed channel and it immediately started to record.

My thoughts are now that this is not a signal problem but a tuner allocation problem where one tuner is tuned to the recording channel and the other is tuned to the current channel (which happens to be the same channel) and I'm surprised it hasn't been stumbled upon before.

I realise my testing may well be flawed and I'm barking up the wrong tree so I'm happy to set the same timers as trophytr5 to try to get a better idea of what's going on.

Well spotted on the effect of changing channel.

I've been leaving well alone until the test had completed. Wonder what would have happened if I'd switched to BBC1HD between 1715 -and 1800
    al said:

Hi Al

There have been quite a few reports in the past about boxes not recording a certain programme even though there is a tuner free, but 'waking up' and starting recording when you switch to that channel.

But not recently; and no-one, until now, has had a theory about why, until yours.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 3 June 2015, 7:29AM
    al said:

At least now we seem to have a methodology that allows us to generate the problem. Or I think we do. 

Can some of you guys try this out and see if they have the same problem? 

Watch and record BBC News HD (or something else of MUX 7).  Check that BBC News is recording AND that you can still watch a channel on another MUX (showing the second tuner is free).  Once recording has started, switch back to watch BBC News HD and then set something to record of BBC1HD before the end of the BBC News HD programme.

If possible, if the BBC1HD recording has clearly failed to start, try to switch to BBC1HD (if it does the second tuner is still free) and see if the BBC1HD recording starts.

If we can show that the probel is reproducable in a significant number of case, the question now is whose problem is it? MUX provider, box manufacturer, YouView standard?

Does it only occur on Humax (and Humax design) boxes? 
    If it does, then is it a YouView stadards problem? Or a signal conflict problem?
    Does it occur in areas where the "transmitter conflict" problem doesn't exist?
    edited 4 March 2017, 12:36PM
    Test 10 - watch/record Spike (channel 31, MUX 6), record BBC1HD passed.

Test 9 - watch/record E4+1 (channel 29, MUX 5), record BBC1HD starts at 0915.

Test 12 - watch record BBC News HD (channel 107, MUX 7), record ITVHD (channel 103, MUX3) set for early this afternoon. 

Test 13 - watch/record Channel 4+1 (channel 110, MUX 7) and record BBC1HD (channel 101, MUX3). This is a similar test to Al's test of last night using BBC4HD (also MUX7)

It's going to be an interesting day!!
    edited 3 June 2015, 7:40AM
    al said:

"My thoughts are now that this is not a signal problem but a tuner allocation problem where one tuner is tuned to the recording channel and the other is tuned to the current channel (which happens to be the same channel) and I'm surprised it hasn't been stumbled upon before."

From my results, it only appears to be a problem when it's MUX3 and MUX7 involved.  The problem may have occurred before and been fixed, but has reared it's head again with new MUX 7
    Test 9 passed
    edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM
    So it sounds like it will not release a tuner from (any channel on) com7 to record (only) BBC1HD. Is that right?

Do you have com8 (QVC+1/beauty)? As it's also HD it might perform the same as com7.
    "So it sounds like it will not release a tuner from (any channel on) com7 to record (only) BBC1HD. Is that right?"

It looks like it.  I have set up the same test as you did yesterday with Ch4 HD and BBC1HD for later this morning and for BBC NewsHD and ITV HD after that and these should confirm the behaviour.

I do have Com8/MUX8, but I stick all the QVC (and other shopping and such ****) channels straight into "hidden channels".  I never thought about whether they have the same effect.  I'll have to unhide them and see if I can schedule a test.
    Test 13 - watch/record Channel 4 Seven (channel 110, MUX 7) and record BBC1HD (channel 101, MUX3) - FAILED.

This is significant because I think it shows, that, as Al suspected, MUX7 is "failing to release" the second tuner.

Not only that, but having spotted that it was failing to record BBC1HD, I changed channel (which I could do because the second tuner wasn't locked to BBC1HD) down one channel at a time.

Remember I hide all the **** channels

109/MUX7  - no change
    107/MUX7  - no change
    106/MUX7 - no change
    105/MUX3 - starts recording.

BINGO!!! 

So if you manually change channel from MUX7, it picks up that it needs to record on MUX3.

I wonder if it releases it if you change to MUX that you not trying to records.  So if I had jumped to Ch1. BBC1SD, would it have started recording?  i.e. did it start recording because I changed to the MUX I wanted to record from (3 in this case) or did it start because I forced it to release the tuner from MUX 7

And I've jus noticed that on http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters/multiplexes it has 2 channel 110 on MUX7 (4seven HD -110 and Channel 4+1 HD - 109). Probaly a typo
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM
    trophytr5 - This is a very interesting piece of analysis. You're background in testing clearly shows. This is a thread that I think our Test Team will be particularly interested in reading, so I'll be forwarding this on to them to review.
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:57PM
    trophytr5 said:

Oh dear!!  The aerial fitter has just been round and fitted the at400 filter onto the communal aerial.  So something has changed in the test environment and, if the problem still occurs, I might have to restart the whole sequence of tests again.

If the problem has gone away, then, I am sorry, but I won't be able to shed any further light of the "conflicting signal" problem.  Perhaps you'll find another volunteer to carry out the test program.  I would be happy to specify the tests for them.

I should know by tomorrow whether the at800 filter has solved the problem.

Interestingly, the aerial fitter tells me that he has been having a similar problem but in his case his Humax (a later model than mine) was not recording ITV HD and he gave up trying to solve it and records ITV SD instead.

Did the aerial fitter happen to mention if his Humax was a YouView box or a different Humax model?
    trophytr5 said:

Oh dear!!  The aerial fitter has just been round and fitted the at400 filter onto the communal aerial.  So something has changed in the test environment and, if the problem still occurs, I might have to restart the whole sequence of tests again.

If the problem has gone away, then, I am sorry, but I won't be able to shed any further light of the "conflicting signal" problem.  Perhaps you'll find another volunteer to carry out the test program.  I would be happy to specify the tests for them.

Interestingly, the aerial fitter tells me that he has been having a similar problem but in his case his Humax (a later model than mine) was not recording ITV HD and he gave up trying to solve it and records ITV SD instead.

Hello stranger :-)

I do hope YouView appreciate all the tip-top work trophytr5 is doing here to help bottom the long-standing issues that competing transmitters have always seemed to bring.
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    al said:

Can some of you guys try this out and see if they have the same problem?  
    I think this will prove an interesting point. Let us know what to set so we are all doing exactly the same thing. I'm sure a few of us will give it a go.
    edited 3 June 2015, 1:37PM
    trophytr5 said:

I thought that the aerial fitter had a YouView box but I cna't be certain.  I will try and contact hiem, through the landlords, and ask the question
    Test 12 failed but in a strange way.

BBC News HD (ch 107 MUX 7)recorded from 1200 to 1259
    Loose Women set to record on ITV HD ch 103, MUX 3) from 1230 to 1330 but only started recording at 1259 (when MUX 7 released the tuners) at finished "on time" at 1327
    It then (without me scheduling it) started to record from ITV+1 SD (ch 33, MUX2) at 1328 and I stopped it at 1355 when I came home and found out what it was doing.

I have set up a repeat test with BBC News HD and ITV HD for 1900 tonight.  I should home from the pub by then so, if I remeber, I can try the jump to an "uninvolved" MUX to see if it releases the tuner

But, essentially, I think this shows that the problem is cross MUX, rather than cross channel.
    edited 3 June 2015, 2:07PM
    al said:

Doing exactly the same thing would prove that it is not just my set up that has the problem and I think we have the answer to that because I replicated the conditions (but not the actual test) that you did last night with the same result.

The test requires that
    1. Find a programme on one of the MUX 7 channels which starts before a programme on a channel on MUX 3.
    2. Set the box to record the MUX 7 programme and leave it watching that channel
    3. Set the box to record the MUX 3 programme
    4. It should fail to start the MUX 3 programme until the MUX 7 programme finishes and if the MUX 3 programme finishes first, it wil fail to record at all or will schedule it for the next opportunity e.g on a +1 channel or possibly a repeat on the same channel at a later date.
    I suspect that the error will also occur if you set a programme to record on MUX 7, watch another channel on MUX 7 and try and record a programme from MUX 3

And heaven only knows whether MUX 8 exhibits the same behaviour
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:57PM
    trophytr5 said:

Roy - Hi :) They do and turns out they already had eyes on this thread before I could forward it to them. 

trophytr5 - That would be great. Thank you.
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Tested QVC Beauty (ch 112, MUX 8) against BBC1HD (ch101, MUX3) - Passed.

So it looks like it is just MUX 7 that causes the problem.

But I have just got back from the pub!!!
    trophytr5 said:

In good spirits? :-)
    edited 3 June 2015, 8:01PM
    trophytr5 said:

Not really. The re-run of test 12, watch/record BBC News HD (channel 107, MUX 7), record ITVHD (channel 103, MUX3) passed.  Will have to re-check it again tomorrow
    trophytr5 said:

Testing GS bug (please ignore).
    Edit stage.
    Explanation:-
    https://getsatisfaction.com/getsatisf...

Hopefully no-one will mind if Tanya from GS adds a Comment below mine here?

Sorry to go off at this tangent here, but this thread is exactly poised to illustrate this bug, which is not true of every thread :-)
    edited 4 June 2015, 8:55AM
    trophytr5 said:

The re-run of Test 12 also passed.

I am getting worried!! I've gone back and set up another run of the original test (which I shall call Test Zero) - watch/record BBC News HD (channel 107, MUX 7) and record BBC1HD (Channel 101, MUX 3) for later this morning to see if it is still happening.

It that one passes, then did I do something to reslove the problem (poss. stopping recordings or allowing them to start by changing channels) or has there been a change in the environment about which we have not been told

Last software update was 30 May 2015 and I have had the problem since then so that's not answer
    edited 5 June 2015, 6:58PM
    trophytr5 said:

Good News!! The re-run of Test Zero FAILED.  It's still broken.

And BBC1HD started recording after I changed the "watched" channel to BBC1SD (ch 1, MUX1).  So it's the act of changing FROM MUX 7 which seems to release the tuner.

I'm going to repeat Test 12 (the Loose Women test - you just can't have enough loose women around!!) from yesterday exactly as it was and see what happens
    edited 4 June 2015, 12:37PM
    trophytr5 said:

Repeat of Test 12 PASSED.  Seems od that one day it fails and the next day, the exact same test, passes.

Flummuxed!!