yvm302 problem

Derek DolmanDerek Dolman Posts: 21Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
I know there have been several conversations on this but none very recently so thought I should start a new one. Last week my DTR-T1010 You View box, bought from John Lewis 18 months ago, suddenly cut out while watching live TV and came up with the yvm302 message. I checked all the cables, etc, and noted that the signal was perfect using my TV's own tuner fed from the coaxial cable via the You View box.  I turned the you View box completely off, waited about 30 secs and restarted it. Nothing at first but after doing this several times, the box sprang back to life. Problem solved I thought, but after about an hour, it came up with the yvm302 message again and I was unable to get any live TV channels.  Since then, I've been through the same routine several times. The live TV never lasts more than about an hour before cutting off again and I've missed several programmes that I had set the You View box up to record. During the time it's on it is showing signal strength 71% and signal quality 100%.  As it's still under warranty, should I just return it to John Lewis?

Comments

• redchizredchiz Posts: 4,475Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Have you been through all the other steps relating to that error message as set out here?
  • Derek DolmanDerek Dolman Posts: 21Member
    edited 22 June 2015, 12:48PM
    Yes, I went through all these steps. I even managed to retune the channels during the period when I was getting live TV.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,655Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    The soft reset (touch Standby button for just over 8 seconds) is to be preferred to the pull-the-plug approach unless the box is frozen solid.

Did you do the resets this way?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 22 June 2015, 1:08PM
    I've tried both ways. When switching off completely, I don't pull the plug or switch off at the socket, I turn it off with the switch at the back of the box, wait about 30 seconds and switch it back on again. I've also tried touching the standby button for 8 seconds or so until the "wait" signal comes up. With either method, sometimes the box then starts up normally and goes to whatever TV channel it was last set to, but more often than not it goes straight to the yvm302 warning.
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    A TV tuner isn't something that generally fails, the intermittent nature of the problem suggests either an internal connection problem, or a transmission problem. As you have ruled out the latter by checking the Digital UK website I can only suggest that you re-check all the connectors, aerial lead, the aerial itself and so on.
    I've checked the cables etc several times. I am getting a perfect picture through the TV tuner whenever the You View box is saying the signal is weak. On the occasions when the box works, as I said, I am getting 71% signal strength and 100% signal quality.
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM

I've checked the cables etc several times. I am getting a perfect picture through the TV tuner whenever the You View box is saying the signal is weak. On the occasions when the box works, as I said, I am getting 71% signal strength and 100% signal quality.

The thing is that a TV has a single tuner, the YouView box has two so is much more sensitive to any signal degradation. I may be barking up the wrong tree of course and as the unit is still under warranty feel free to take it back to John Lewis, they are more likely to be able to diagnose whether it is a box issue than any of us from afar.
    edited 22 June 2015, 1:39PM

The strange thing is that, even when the box says I am bot getting a signal, it still shows the Programme Guide OK, with the correct time. The information panel on the front of the box is showing the programme that it's tuned to and when I change channels on the remote, the programme shown on front of the box changes. I suppose the last resort is to reset the box, but this also reformats the hard disck and I'll lose all my recorded programmes. At the moment I can still watch these fine and there are several I don't want to lose.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:57PM

Hi Derek - What type of aerial are you using? and can you describe what the chain of connections is, from your aerial to your YouView box (plus any additional equipment)?
    edited 25 June 2015, 3:09PM

Sorry, Sanj, only just seen your message as I have been away for a day or two. The cable from the aerial goes straight into the back of the You View box and then loops out to the TV. I have also just posted a message on Kean August's thread.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM

Quite a bit of the EPG comes over the Internet, which may explain why you see this even though you have no channels tuned.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,696Member ✭✭✭
    yvm302? Your signal strengths are fine. Try this - power the box down (don't 8 second reset it) and wait five minutes. Pull the power cord. Wait two minutes and reset your router, Wait for the connection to come back and then plug your box back in and turn it on. Any better?
    Visionman said:

yvm302? Your signal strengths are fine. Try this - power the box down (don't 8 second reset it) and wait five minutes. Pull the power cord. Wait two minutes and reset your router, Wait for the connection to come back and then plug your box back in and turn it on. Any better?

Visionman, can you clarify for Derek what 'power down' means here? To Standby, or right Off?

And can you clarify for me, and maybe others who might be interested, the logic of the procedure you advocate? I'm wondering what will be happening in the five minutes and the two minutes respectively?

I agree with your comments that when getting 71/100, the YVM302 is most unlikely to be real, BTW.
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    Visionman said:

'Power down' means 'standby' (sorry). The wait five and two minutes wait is to clear the box of any residual memory/glitch (a clean slate as it were).

The point of the procedure is the box is part of a chain - server to hub/router, router to the box, box to TV. A glitch anywhere in the chain (eg even a slightly off router) can cause knock-on problems for the box, so this full system re-set is to try to eliminate the glitch in whatever part of the chain it may be.

In Dereks case, I doubt the yvm302 error is either aerial or signal related and may be on the IP side of things, which can have a knock-on effect on normal Freeview functions. 
    Thanks, Visionman. I've just been through the procedure you describe and at the moment the box is functioning normally, i.e. receiving live TV. However, over the last few days since this problem started, I've achieved the same result by turning off the box with the switch at the back, waiting 30 seconds, and then switching back on. It's not worked every time, but maybe after about 3 or 4 attempts. On each occasion the box has worked perfectly normally for an hour or two and then reverted to the yvm302 error message. The soft reset procedure has never ever worked.

I'll report back if it happens again, which I expect it to, or if there seems to be a permanent cure this time. There's obviously some sort of intermittent fault with the tuners in the box somewhere, which perhaps a full reset will cure, but so far I've been reluctant to resort to that because it would wipe out my recordings. I would add that throughout this problem, I've been able to watch live TV using the TV tuner via the coax cable output from the You View box, and the internet connection from the router is also OK so I can get BBC iplayer, for instance.
    Visionman said:

Hi Visionman

I see your thinking here, and concur that a chain reset is a good thing to try.

However, I doubt that a YouView box in Standby will change much over five minutes. Even a High Eco one that is not recording will need 15-20 minutes before it drifts off into its deep sleep.

So my money would be on:-
    (where Power Off in each case means not just the switch on the back, if any, but a full pull-the-plug mains disconnect).

Power off YouView box from Standby
    Power off any Powerline Adaptor at the YouView end.
    Power off any Powerline Adaptor at the router end.
    Wait two minutes to be sure the router has noticed all this
    Power off the router.
    Wait two minutes to be sure the exchange has noticed.
    Power on the router.
    When it is stable, reset it (ideally, if this won't disrupt too much else. A router that has been powered off and then on again is not a reset one).
    Power on any Powerline Adaptor at the router end
    Power on any Powerline Adaptor at the YouView end
    Finally, power on the YouView box.
    When it is stable (or when it asks) try a retune.

In the above, the YouView box will be completely powered off for five minutes.

I suspect, as we now have two separate reported cases of this, that it will turn out to be the firmware/software at fault, and the above will make no difference, but I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised here, and it has to be worth a go at least.
    edited 27 June 2015, 11:00AM

Thanks, Visionman. I've just been through the procedure you describe and at the moment the box is functioning normally, i.e. receiving live TV. However, over the last few days since this problem started, I've achieved the same result by turning off the box with the switch at the back, waiting 30 seconds, and then switching back on. It's not worked every time, but maybe after about 3 or 4 attempts. On each occasion the box has worked perfectly normally for an hour or two and then reverted to the yvm302 error message. The soft reset procedure has never ever worked.

I'll report back if it happens again, which I expect it to, or if there seems to be a permanent cure this time. There's obviously some sort of intermittent fault with the tuners in the box somewhere, which perhaps a full reset will cure, but so far I've been reluctant to resort to that because it would wipe out my recordings. I would add that throughout this problem, I've been able to watch live TV using the TV tuner via the coax cable output from the You View box, and the internet connection from the router is also OK so I can get BBC iplayer, for instance.

Well, the cure didn't work. I went back to the You View and TV after a couple of hours and got the same yvm302 message. I don't know how long it was working properly for but less than two hours. Because I had followed Visionman's suggested procedure, I decided to try Roy's suggestion and, as I was going out anyway, I turned off everything (YouView box, router, powerline adaptors) and pulled the plugs out. I returned after 6 hours, turned on the router, waited until it stabilised, reset it, turned on the powerline adaptors and then turned on the YouView box. Everything normal, receiving live TV. Just to be sure, I also carried out a retune and got all the channels. The box then behaved normally for a full 4 hours until suddenly cutting out and displaying the yvm302 message. I've since carried out another MM4 recovery and got the box working again, but this time it cut out within about an hour.

What I don't understand is how the box could work perfectly for 18 months and then start going haywire and how, after getting it working again, it only lasts for between one and four hours. I know it's basically a computer and computers do go wrong but usually because they've been attacked by a virus or worm or whatever, or they've become so full that they slow down. But I've never had a computer with this sort of intermittent problem. I don't know if anybody from Humax follows these conversations but, if so, perhaps they could comment.

Anyway, I'll try and watch a couple of the films I've been saving ("Lone Star" and "Aguirre, Wrath of God" in case you're interested) and then do a full factory reset. If that doesn't work, I'll be returning it to John Lewis. I've seen on other threads that Humax often replace a returned box with a refurbished one - can I insist on a new one or do they have the right to do that?

They have to put you in the position you would have been in if the item had not failed; giving you a new one would be 'betterment', and they don't have to do that. Though a lot of better companies would do it anyway.

Insurance companies, when replacing new for old, would often try to charge for betterment, but it led to bad feeling, which is why they now all, pretty much, do new for old.

Though not on cars :-)

But you are not dealing with Humax anyway - you are dealing with John Lewis, and last time I looked, they were one of those 'better companies '(or partnerships!), so you might reasonably be able to stick out for a new replacement with them.

Your box runs for a bit because after refreshing all the software it is OK, but due to the fault - bad memory, bad firmware, or why - sooner or later, it reasserts itself.

I remain intrigued as to how it's always the same fault that comes back for a given faulty box, though, instead of something else at random.

Why it works for 18 months and then suddenly fails is easier to explain - if stuff didn't do that, it would last forever, and nothing does. 18 months is pretty poor though. But we are assured that the Humax failure rate is 'within industry standards'. I guess if there is an exclusive category for Humax YouView PVRs and mayflies, this could be true, though personally, I'd put my money on the mayflies.

I would not call your problem intermittent though. Intermittent problems come and go without any discernible user action or state change. You have a permanent problem that you can make temporarily go away :-(

Oh, and I can't claim any credit for my fix lasting twice as long as Visionman's; that was just the luck of the draw, and it could just as easily have been half as long, or worse. I think it's clear now that you have a fault with your box that nothing short of a full factory reset will fix.

And maybe not even that, so don't leave it too long before trying this option, lest your JL guarantee runs out :-(
    edited 27 June 2015, 4:30PM

Thank you, Roy, for your comprehensive reply. The Humax warranty terms state: "In the event that this product fails to function properly during the warranty period, the retailer or distributor will make this product capable of operating for the purpose of which it was designed, without charging for labour and parts" which not only underlines that the retailer is responsible but also means they are obliged to repair my product. It is silent on their obligations if they can't repair it. In view of all the problems with the DTR-T1010 reported both on this site and the My Humax Forum, I would ideally like to replace by box with a DTR-T2000, so I'm hoping I can get a full refund on my box. Lets see what happens when I take it back (assuming the factory reset doesn't work).

Regarding the June 2015 software update thread, on which I posted a reply, my box states: "last updated: never", although I believe the software is up to date at release 21.30.50. Is it a coincidence that my problems started on or around the software release? I suppose I'll never know.

Will report back after the factory reset.
    edited 27 June 2015, 5:02PM

Roy, just a further thought on the warranty, as somebody who dealt extensively with contracts in a previous life (albeit not consumer contracts). There is a legal distinction between a warranty and insurance. A warranty is what it says, a promise made by the seller to the buyer as part of the sales contract. In this case the warranty states "HUMAX warrants this product to be free of defects in materials and workmanship". As the product is clearly not free of defects, John Lewis/Humax have broken the terms of the contract. The remedy for a breach of contract is a matter for negotiation between the parties and ultimately would be settled in a court of law if agreement were not reached.

Hi Derek

If you dealt with contracts, then you will know about the important distinctions about who the parties are,

Humax is not a party to the contract between you and John Lewis, the terms of which, unless otherwise stated in a guarantee document from John Lewis, are as set out in the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (As Amended).

And as neither you nor John Lewis can abrogate these rights, it follows that a JL guarantee can only offer you additional rights to those in the Act.

The Act entitles you to a repair, replacement or refund; but as the Act was appallingly badly drafted in this wise, it does not make clear whose choice this is, yours or the retailer's.

In general, it is reckoned to be the retailer's choice, but someone might like to challenge this in the higher courts, as the wording certainly supports this being the consumer's choice of remedy.

You will have great difficulty pursuing Humax for breach of contract anyway; you would have to prove the defect was inherent, and caused by Humax, which 18 months of satisfactory operation, and failure after an update by YouView , as you have alleged here, would completely give the lie to.

You could certainly tell John Lewis that you are not interested in a repair or a replacement, though, as the product has proved so terminally unsatisfactory (allude to all you lost recordings) and that you want your money back. Which, if done, must be done in the same way that you paid originally, and you are entitled to decline either a credit note or JL vouchers.

Then slip round to Richer Sounds for your T2000; they give a five-year warranty for about 10% of the purchase price, which must give them a few nervous gulps every time they sell a YouView box.

(I wish I didn't know all this stuff, but I have fought (and won) a couple of consumer battles. However, having right on your side is as nothing compared with having a wife who is impelled to kick off mid-store, loudly and in public, where my promise of 'Give me my money back and I'll take her outside' suddenly proves remarkably attractive :-)

Very unhappy for you about that 'Last Updated: Never' though. That's not at all right, and clearly part of the problem.

Oh flippin eck theres two contract jockeys on here (or is that three? ;) ) I too have taken to using the secret weapon option when all else has failed. Which was also my wife screaming the house down in a garage who sold us a car with a faulty gearbox for which they wanted £2000 to repair. Suffice to say they repaired it at their cost, not ours.

Sorry our suggestions didn't work Derek, but as Roy says, you now know its the box and nothing else. In regard to the well regarded John Lewis warranty, they will either indemnify or better you. Or as you know getting a refund may be an avenue. If that happens, as Roy says, head for Richer Sounds, but sign up to their VIP club first as that will get you £10 off the purchase price.
    edited 28 June 2015, 12:41PM

Thanks, Roy and Visionman, I did say I hadn't dealt with consumer contracts! This thread does seem to have veered off into a discussion on consumer law, but what the heck. I was aware that my sales contract was between me and John Lewis (of which, more later) but Humax also offer the consumer a written warranty by means of a card in the box saying you have a one year warranty and can upgrade to two years by registering online within 30 days of purchase (whether or not that condition is legally enforceable is a complicated matter, but not relevant here as I did register online,) So there is indeed a contract in place between me and Humax in regard to the warranty.

There is also a contract in place between me and John Lewis under the Sale of Goods Act and the specific sale terms laid down by John Lewis (which are not allowed to reduce the SOGA rights) including a two year guarantee provided by John Lewis. So I have a choice of which contract I wish to pursue my claim under. Guess which one I will choose? The JL guarantee states:

"We're covering the product to remain in working order for the life of the guarantee – in other words against manufacturing defect causing breakdown. If the product's used in the prescribed way and it breaks down, our duty is to get the appliance back to working order – and if we can't do that, we'll replace it with the same model, or discuss an alternative with you if that's no longer available."

I think I can use that to say that a refurbished product from Humax is not an acceptable alternative because it will have had unknown faults which Humax say they have fixed but how do I know that.

Incidentally, JL will almost certainly have a supply agreement in place with Humax (and their other suppliers) under which the supplier (in this case Humax) indemnifies JL for any costs incurred by them under their guarantee. In return, the agreement probably says that JL will return any faulty product to Humax in the first instance to give them the opportunity to repair it.

Thanks for the tip about Richer Sounds. They both sell the T2000 for about £175 but JL's three year guarantee for an extra £20 doesn't compare with Richer's six years for £17.45 (as long as Richer survives for another six years!)

If I am replacing the DTR-T1010, I would also consider a Humax HDR2000T. It's not a YouView box but some say it's a better PVR. It seems you can still access on demand services through the ethernet cable connected to the router, but without the functionality of YouView. Since I don't use on demand very much, I'm more interested in a reliable PVR. It looks like the HDR also has better access to material on your PC like photos which would be good

Thanks for the reply Derek. Truth be told, if you don't need or watch on demand that much, you don't really need YouView or any other kind of hybrid box. Just go for a straight over the air pvr that would suit your needs.
    edited 29 June 2015, 10:10AM

Yeah, I do use on demand sometimes and recently a bit more often to catch the programmes that my YouView box has failed to record due to it not recognising the TV signal. Before I got the YouView box I got BBC iplayer on my iPad and connected it to the TV with a long HDMI cable, which was not ideal. But it looks like the HDR2000T will access on demand anyway through the router, but without the functionality of YouView.
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,005Member
    My box came up with this error today *sigh*. Checked the cable by the fact the TV is using the pass through on the Youview box which is fine.

Soft restart didn't work.

Just trying a retune now. (Which seems to have worked but for how long?)

And its deleted all the scheduled recordings again. FFS
    stormy said:

My box came up with this error today *sigh*. Checked the cable by the fact the TV is using the pass through on the Youview box which is fine.

flogging a dead horse smiley photo deadhorsebeat_4.gif
    edited 2 July 2015, 9:36AM
    stormy said:

If it was still displaying the yvm302 message, you wouldn't have been able to do a retune. With me, it just zipped through the retune in a few seconds, deleted all my existing channels and then said it couldn't find any channels as there was no signal. Do you mean a reset which, depending on how you did it, would also delete all your recorded programmes?
    stormy said:

'Zipped' is definitely wrong. I just tried a no-aerial retune on my T1000, and it still took a couple of minutes.
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,005Member
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM
    stormy said:

I pressed "OK" to acknowledge the YVM302 message. As it had some blurb about I have either not tuned the box in or hidden channels. I then could select retune from the settings menu and as Roy says, takes a couple of minutes. All the channels came back.

I tried a "soft" reset first by holding the power button for 8 seconds, when it rebooted the YVM302 message popped up again.

I don't mean reset, I mean retune as above. I still lost all my scheduled recordings but all the recorded stuff remained intact as I would expect as it was just a retune. 

Box is going back to Humax anyway, and its quite clearly fubar.