Netflix app unable to connect

Simone LawSimone Law Member Posts: 1
edited 31 July 2017, 7:12PM in Support
I've just got Internet back after 2 months and I've tried using Netflix begins loading then goes to a black screen saying unable to connect? All the other on demand apps work fine, it's just Netflix. Any ideas? I've tried the soft reboot

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Can you try Netflix on another device, a laptop or PC say, and see if that works?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM
    Hi Simone, 

If your internet has been off for the last two months, you might have missed any updates. Soft rebooting should present the box with an opportunity to check for software updates but to be sure, check both the YouView software and On Demand players are up to date.

YouView software update:  Settings > Device Management > Software Update
    On Demand Player update: Device Management > Update On Demand Players

Once you've double checked. Try the player again. If you still have the issue, Netflix have an FAQ for this message. Can you have a look at the steps for 'Set-Top box' and see if they help?

Let us know how you get on. 
  • Kevin PriestKevin Priest Member Posts: 1
    edited 30 July 2017, 5:20PM
    I had exactly the same problem 

I've just subscribed to Netflix but despite checking all connections both physically and via the Netflix network connection troubleshooter, I couldn't get the Netflix app to work.

Eventually in desperation, I clicked on the sign out box despite not actually ever being able to connect to it to sign in.  When I tried to connect to Netflix again, it launched!

I'm sure lots of other people will have been exasperated at trying to connect to Netflix despite everything seemingly being ok e.g. internet speed check, being connected to the internet/network etc.
  • delboydelboy Member Posts: 4
    Hi.  I am now experiencing this problem.  Last week I could watch Netflix with no problem - this week it doesn't want to connect.  I've tried the 'sign-out/sign-in' trick but that hasn't worked for me.  I can watch Netflix on my PS3 and Android tablet but not on the BT TV box.

I have reset the router and restarted the BT TV box.  No change.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?  (Apart from move to Sky).
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM
    delboy said:

Hi.  I am now experiencing this problem.  Last week I could watch Netflix with no problem - this week it doesn't want to connect.  I've tried the 'sign-out/sign-in' trick but that hasn't worked for me.  I can watch Netflix on my PS3 and Android tablet but not on the BT TV box.

Can you get Netflix on a Sky box?
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:41AM
    delboy said:

Do you need Netflix on a Sky box? :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    delboy

Can you get other Internet services on your BT YouView box, e.g. catchup from the 7-day backward EPG, the BBC iPlayer, the extra BT channels, etc.?

i.e. is it just Netflix affected on your box, or all of your internet access?
    Hi thanks for the reply.

It's only Netflix as far as I can tell - iPlayer works fine as does the extra BT channels.

I can watch Netflix on my PS3 so I know the account settings are OK.
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:41AM
    delboy said:

Hi thanks for the reply.

It's only Netflix as far as I can tell - iPlayer works fine as does the extra BT channels.

I can watch Netflix on my PS3 so I know the account settings are OK.

Can you get far enough with Netflix to try this solution?

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-B...

The posting from barringtonk there.
    edited 10 August 2016, 2:26PM
    Well I have been trying that to no avail.
    I do get an error code [nw-4-8] which, according to Netflix, means there's a problem with the connection but I've been trying their suggestions without success.

See https://help.netflix.com/en/node/14451

Something must have changed since it was working fine last week.
  • Hugh WilsonHugh Wilson Member Posts: 1
    edited 30 July 2017, 5:20PM

I had exactly the same problem 

I've just subscribed to Netflix but despite checking all connections both physically and via the Netflix network connection troubleshooter, I couldn't get the Netflix app to work.

Eventually in desperation, I clicked on the sign out box despite not actually ever being able to connect to it to sign in.  When I tried to connect to Netflix again, it launched!

I'm sure lots of other people will have been exasperated at trying to connect to Netflix despite everything seemingly being ok e.g. internet speed check, being connected to the internet/network etc.

This works. To be specific, I was getting the unable to connect message. Click on more info and you will get to the options - checking internet connections etc. One of the options is 'sign out'. I did that as Kevin suggested and then got the sign in screen that wasn't showing previously.
    edited 31 July 2017, 7:12PM
    For the record, I did get this going eventually. At the time Netflix had a couple of different login methods and one of them was associated with a Facebook account. This method did not work with the youview box. By using the'normal' Netflix login details I managed to get it all working again!
  • Chrisds9Chrisds9 Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem. The Netflix app player was attempting to load but failed with screen message 'could not connect - Try again/Details/Exit', or something similar to this.
    I fixed it by switching-off the Youview box and then unplugging from electrical supply for a few seconds. Then plugged back in and and switched-on. Netflix now opens normally to the Sign In page.
    I think the player version or Youview box software was updated automatically and then the box needed a cold restart to apply the new update.