[Discussion] Automatic Software Update June 2015

Comments

• DavidKDavidK Member Posts: 24
    edited 17 July 2015, 4:25PM
    DavidK said:

Ever since my DT1000 upgraded to this level on Friday, it keeps losing all its TV channels when turned off for a time (amount seems to be variable - a few minutes to a few hours).  With no channels, it can't record anything!  I have done a Factory Reset (keep recordings) and also redownloaded the software from the internet whilst in Maintenance Mode.

How can I get the previous version to install via USB in Maintenance Mode?

With regard to recovering the TV channels, I haven't tried recycling power on the box.  The message says it is unable to show any TV channels as it hasn't been tuned.  I press 'Done' and then go into settings and retune.  The scan completes without asking for a choice of region.

As to HDMI, it is random and it has been going on for months, unlike the loss of TV channels which only started after the upgrade to the June 2015 update..  Sometimes it works no problem, sometimes the TV says "No signal" and sometimes the picture from the Humax is pink with no sound.  In the latter 2 cases, we just select AV on the TV, using the 3 AV cables from the Humax.  Note: I have tried 3 different HDMI cables into 3 different ports on this TV (9 combinations) and 1 port on a different TV (another 3 combinations) and the problem remains.  The problem mostly likely with the Humax not the cables or TV unless all 3 cables (from different manufacturers and lengths) are faulty.

I can live with the loss of HDMI as the AV connection works.  I can't live without TV channels as I can never be sure it has recorded anything.

Also, since the TV channel problem, it sometimes doesn't record programs even if it hasn't lost them.  For example, on switching on the Humax today (from standby), the TV channels were there but a program I record every night had 15 failed attempts since the last successful one on Wednesday night (luckily the old PVR-9300T had them).

None of these issues seem to be "hard faults" i.e. it always loses TV channels or HDMI never works.  I understand that this makes problem determination difficult.

One correction to my earlier post - my box is a Model: DTRT1000; Variant: 80B07000.  Poor eyesight mistook an B for an 8.

I also raised a problem via Humax Technical Support and have spoken to Jack but I do not think he has seen this thread.

David
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:57PM
    DavidK said:

Ever since my DT1000 upgraded to this level on Friday, it keeps losing all its TV channels when turned off for a time (amount seems to be variable - a few minutes to a few hours).  With no channels, it can't record anything!  I have done a Factory Reset (keep recordings) and also redownloaded the software from the internet whilst in Maintenance Mode.

Thanks for the additional info. Don't worry about the typo for box variant, I knew what you meant!

I've passed this information on to our tech team to investigate and we'll get back to you when we know what the next step is. 
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited 7 September 2017, 6:40PM
    Apparently according to a thread on the BT community forum - there is a Humax software 21.50.10 coming

We expect to start updating customer boxes with this software in the last week of July with all boxes updated by the middle of August.

Do we know if   21.50.10 incorporate the  21.30.50 changes or are the retail and BT Humax boxes going on different software paths again ?.
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM
    zulu17 said:

Apparently according to a thread on the BT community forum - there is a Humax software 21.50.10 coming

We expect to start updating customer boxes with this software in the last week of July with all boxes updated by the middle of August.

Do we know if   21.50.10 incorporate the  21.30.50 changes or are the retail and BT Humax boxes going on different software paths again ?.

Hopefully its coming to retail boxes and fixes all my issues with 21.30.50!!!
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Member Posts: 367
    edited 11 December 2016, 11:58AM
    zulu17 said:

Zulu17.  Do you have a link to this info about the update on the BT community site.  Can't seem to find it myself.
    edited 14 December 2016, 10:35PM
    zulu17 said:

the future (BT) update was mentioned as including a fix for a sound dropout issue on IP channels - no full release  component details hence the enquiry to Youview
    edited 19 July 2015, 10:32AM
    DavidK said:

Sorry for the length of this post but it is getting worse!

On Saturday morning, I turned on the Humax (via the front of the box) and the TV channels were still there but it had failed to record a program (Sky New Press Preview at 11:30-midnight) 12 times and the complete recording schedule was empty.  Prior recordings were still there.

I set up the schedule again but noticed that some were appearing as I entered others via Guide.   It also didn’t seem to recognise that some were a series record rather than single programmes. In the end, I deleted all schedule completely and started from scratch.

On Sunday morning, I turned on the Humax (via the front of the box) and the TV channels had gone and so had the schedule too!

In addition, there were 20 failed attempts to record Sky Press Preview (10.30-11:00pm & 11:30-midnight) [Sky News channel] and 14 failed attempts to record The John Bishop Show [BBC 1 HD channel] and one failed attempt to record a film from Channel 4 HD.

However, the schedule gradually started to reappear.  After 10 minutes 5 were there and, after 40 minutes, 13 of our 16 had appeared.  The 3 missing comprised the 2 series recordings that failed last night and one later this week that is not part of a series but single programme.

Assuming that Maintenance Mode allows the installation of your software via a USB stick plugged into the front of the machine (it does have an option “Internet / USB recovery, keep recordings”), please, please, please send me the previous software version via email!

If this isn't sorted soon, I am afraid I will have to stop using this box completely except to gradually watch old recordings and, once all watched, it will go to the tip.  Electronic consumer equipment should last more than 20 months! I will go and buy a different make of HD Freeview PVR - certainly not a Humax given the problems with this and the random loss of the recording schedule issue affecting both of our Humax PVR-9300Ts.

David
    DavidK said:

David. Have a look at my thread. Seems to be identical problem.

https://community.youview.com/youview...
    edited 19 July 2015, 3:11PM
    DavidK said:

Thank you.  The effects do seem to be very very similar.

I live in North London and have no problem with the signal. Plus this has only started happening since I upgraded the software to the June 2015 level a week ago.  I know that this is late for a June update but I rarely connect my YouView box to the internet - originally for a similar reason i.e. I was on a fairly good release over a year ago and there were reports in this forum of major issues with failed recordings on a new update.  The easiest way to stop being hit was to disconnect the network and we left it like that.  I only briefly reconnected when a following update purporting to fix the issue became available.  If we need to watch any internet services, we just connect our TV to the network as it has the same applications as this box but much more stable (Samsung TV) or even use a laptop with HDMI output (better than my YouView whose HDMI seldom works!).
    DavidK said:

Out of interest is your box in High or Low Eco mode?
    edited 19 July 2015, 3:29PM
    DavidK said:

High.

I would have liked Humax to have implement "Low" plus putting the hard disk to sleep as I can hear it spinning and there is no need for it to be spinning in ‘sleep’ mode.  None of our PCs keep their disks spinning in Sleep or Hibernate mode and they still waking up via the network and I am sure the Humax could wake up on a timer to record programmes that doesn’t need the disk to rotate.

Unfortunately they haven’t implemented this.

DavidK said:

I like you hate Low Eco because its not really any Eco at all but, so far switching (even though I hate to) Low Eco has fixed all my issues. Its not conclusive yet by any means as I have only tested this theory today but so far the scheduled list has remained intact for 3 hours, usually after 30 minutes in High Eco is scrambled.

High Eco appears fubar with 21.30.50.
    edited 19 July 2015, 4:14PM
    DavidK said:

I will try that now.  Thanks.

Of course, it is not a foolproof test as it is testing for a "non-occurence of an event".  How long does one wait to "prove" it?  I might be convinced if iit doesn't lose all the TV channels and/or the recording schedule in a week.

I still think this box is very close to going to the big PVR graveyard in the sky - nothing but trouble!  Why have a HD box that can't use HDMI to the TC?  Losing the schedule happens on both my PVR-9300Ts and there hasn't been an update for years to these boxes to try and fix it.  These don't have any Eco setting.

Finally, it questions the QA process in releasing these software updates.  If it exists, it is not robust enough given this problem and previous ones in the last 20 months.
    DavidK said:

Usually within 30 mins in standby my scheduled list started to go haywire in High Eco. I agree its not conclusive but so far its all I have. :)

Been 3 hours so far and still intact.
    edited 19 July 2015, 4:35PM
    DavidK said:

OK - done.  However, when I brought the box out of standby less than 2 hours after last using it, no TV channels!  Also, the schedule was gone again but it started to come back.  I will check in a few hours if they are all back or only the series record entries.

Thanks again. Fingers crossed.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,793 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    DavidK said:

Stormy, have you got High and Low Eco mixed up here? high Eco = low consumption. Snoozes when left.
    low Eco = high consumption. Pretends to be asleep but is actually on full alert with half an eye open at all times.
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
    DavidK said:

Nope. Not confused. Always used HIGH (ie power saving) but since using LOW (no power saving) today the box is behaving.

David, that doesn't sound good. That's what mine does in ECO HIGH. :(
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,793 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    DavidK said:

OK, it's me that is backwards then. The hypothesis has to be that, as you say, Low Eco, always nearly on, doesn't need to refresh its schedule, but High Eco, waking and sleeping, does.

I don't think Humax YouView boxes have ever been quite right in competing transmitter areas, and trophytr5's exemplary work on this, which YouView and Humax should be ashamed of themselves for not doing when these problems first came up instead of just denying them, has simply revealed the tip of the iceberg with regard to what Humax have got wrong in this area.
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
    edited 19 July 2015, 7:03PM
    DavidK said:

OK 2 hours have passed since changing Eco mode to Low.  On coming out of standby, all TV channels still there.  It rebuilt almost all of the schedule after doing the channel retune i.e. all series records are there but not the one where I scheduled only a single episode of a series.

As I said before, I will only be convinced if no more issues in the next week.  Here's hoping.
    DavidK said:

Odd. Mine doesn't need to retune or lose channels when in ECO LOW but does in ECO HIGH although sometime it doesn't need a retune. Just going into the settings and back out sorts it. Mines been in ECO LOW standby for 6 hours. All good.

The real test will be when it tries recording later.
    edited 19 July 2015, 7:38PM
    DavidK said:

Not odd.  The retune was earlier this morning after it lost all TV channels overnight and was in Eco High mode.  It also lost my recording schedule but this time, after re-tuning, I didn't try and rebuild it as it seems to have done so itself over time for all the series records.

Set to Eco Low around 4pm and my previous message above was when I checked on everything 2 hours after this.

All my problems where in Eco High mode.  Awaiting a re-occurence now that I am in Eco Low mode.
    DavidK said:

Ahh OK I misread :)
    edited 22 July 2015, 12:10PM
    DavidK said:

Thank you Stormy - changing to Eco Low mode seems to have been a good workaround (obviously not a fix) and I haven't lost my TV channels since I did that change (3 days and counting).

It also seems to have stopped my HDMI connection either not working at all or being silent and pink!

Not definitive quite yet as only a short time but getting there.
    DavidK said:

Thanks David - That's very interesting. I'll feed this back. 

Just to double check, do you subscribe to any IP Channels at all?
    edited 22 July 2015, 2:31PM
    DavidK said:

I must assume not as I don't know what they are and that I normally do not have my Humax connected to the interent (as I said earlier - this was to prevent a previously bad software update over a year ago [failed recordings] - except I got bitten this time by letting my guard down).
    DavidK said:

Thanks for confirming David

IP Channels are subscription channels provided by an Internet Service Provider like BT, TalkTalk or Plusnet delivered through the internet.
    edited 14 December 2016, 10:35PM
    zulu17 said:

YouView software build 21.50.10 occured on  my BT DTRt2100 today.
    edited 23 July 2015, 7:42PM
    zulu17 said:

Thanks but unless someone at Humax confirms that this fixes my issue of lost TV channels when using Eco High mode, I am not upgrading1
    edited 27 July 2015, 12:05PM
    DavidK said:

Unfortunately, I was premature in thinking setting Eco mode to Low had fixed my HDMI problem - it hasn't.

It may have reduced the number of occasions that HDMI fails but I can't be certain.

It does seem to have stopped it losing my TV channels.
    DavidK said:

Thankfully I have never had any issues with the HDMI failing, I get the "magenta" colour every now and again which seems to be a Youview vs Panasonic issue.

Recordings are still working fine in Eco Low and no loss of TV channels also.