Sell your youview box and go for FreeView.

Ronald KearleyRonald Kearley Member Posts: 14
edited 3 May 2017, 10:47AM in Feedback
I'm fed up with channels on youview not recording an entire programme, especially the uktv channels and CBS. With FreeView you can add a few minutes to the start or end of what you want to record (a Buffer). youview is by far my worst-ever purchase. Don't buy or bother complaining as this problem's been going on for years. Wish I'd read the comments on here before purchasing. Rant over. Ron.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,763 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    So padding is in the Freeview+ spec? Where?
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭
    You would be better smacking the **** of the low budget providers who supply these channels rather than blaming the box you record them on.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    Visionman said:

You would be better smacking the **** of the low budget providers who supply these channels rather than blaming the box you record them on.

Smacking the ARs - I like it!
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Administrator Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi Ronald,

Sorry to hear you have had issues with your recordings, I understand it can be frustrating if this happens. We have successfully worked with a number of broadcasters to ensure recordings do not have this happen. We continue to do so when we are made aware of any content or providers where this has occurred. We will pass your feedback on to help us with this.

Thanks,

Phil
  • phil flookphil flook Member Posts: 22
    edited 18 March 2017, 7:21PM
    i know its not the fault of the youview box, ( after talking to roy ), but it can be a pain down below. Yesterday i had the same problem ie the end of the program was lost ( itv 3 morse ). Its about time it was sorted.. phil..
  • BobNBobN Member Posts: 25
    edited 24 January 2017, 7:48PM
    I've had this happen sooo many times, I'm thinking of dumping the box also. :-(
  • Ronald KearleyRonald Kearley Member Posts: 14
    Hi! Thanks to all for your replies and input. Silly of me getting angry about a TV programme not recording entirely, but I paid over £200 for a Humax YouView PVR that doesn't do what it says on the box.

This morning I bought and have just set-up a second-hand HUMAX HDR-2000T Freeview+ HD Recorder and like my 8 y/o Humax Freeview PVR (which I replaced with YouView) it does allow editing the start and end times of a selected recording. Honestly Visionman I've "The Bill" on "Drama" set-up starting tomorrow to record from 11:57 - 13:05 Mon-Fri.

While I agree with Phil that channels like "Drama" should transmit correct programme start and end times, I think YouView should incorporate and "Edit Recording Schedule" the same as Freeview.

PS. Won't be selling my YouView box as it has never let me down recording BBC, ITV1 CH4 & Five. It's got a new place in the bedroom.

Cheers! Ron.
  • BobNBobN Member Posts: 25
    I don't think it's silly of you Ron.
    You have a very legitimate angst against The You View box IMO.
    In this day & age when it's possible to do almost anything electronically, I find it strange that it cannot be rectified.
    I'd like to believe that it's not the fault of the box, and perhaps it's not ALL their fault, but surely they Humax or whoever have more sway than they pretend (Sorry Phil ;))
    Think I'll go with a Freesat box too.
    BobN said:

I don't think it's silly of you Ron.
    You have a very legitimate angst against The You View box IMO.
    In this day & age when it's possible to do almost anything electronically, I find it strange that it cannot be rectified.
    I'd like to believe that it's not the fault of the box, and perhaps it's not ALL their fault, but surely they Humax or whoever have more sway than they pretend (Sorry Phil ;))
    Think I'll go with a Freesat box too.

YouView can get more than a little doctrinaire about some things, and three failed years of patiently trying to persuade the broadcasters to use AR correctly does not seem to have led them to the appropriate conclusion.

But it does seem to me that the options here are padding, or swingeing fines from Arqiva for every incorrect application of AR by a broadcaster.

The likelihood of the latter being?
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM

Hi! Thanks to all for your replies and input. Silly of me getting angry about a TV programme not recording entirely, but I paid over £200 for a Humax YouView PVR that doesn't do what it says on the box.

This morning I bought and have just set-up a second-hand HUMAX HDR-2000T Freeview+ HD Recorder and like my 8 y/o Humax Freeview PVR (which I replaced with YouView) it does allow editing the start and end times of a selected recording. Honestly Visionman I've "The Bill" on "Drama" set-up starting tomorrow to record from 11:57 - 13:05 Mon-Fri.

While I agree with Phil that channels like "Drama" should transmit correct programme start and end times, I think YouView should incorporate and "Edit Recording Schedule" the same as Freeview.

PS. Won't be selling my YouView box as it has never let me down recording BBC, ITV1 CH4 & Five. It's got a new place in the bedroom.

Cheers! Ron.

"it does allow editing the start and end times of a selected recording."

If you edit the start and/or end times, does accurate record still work in the event of a programme over-running? On our Panasonic, editing the start and end times set by the EPG cancels Accurate Record.
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM

Cheers! Ron.

In truth, no system is perfect and never will be. YouView have said "No" to padding.

Roy's idea of a implementing a fines system for IAR ('I' standing for inaccurate) is an excellent one. But to be enforced by who? The toothless Ofcom? Unfortunately I don't think so.

Cheers! Ron.

"In truth, no system is perfect and never will be."

That is the point that I was trying to make VM, but I have no experience of Humax PVRs except our YouView T1000. I would be interested to know if Humax FreeView boxes support AR if the EPG start and/or end times are edited.

Cheers! Ron.

Yes they do and yes it throws them out of sync, as the user is switching the recordings to 'manual', so the boxes are locked to these timings and no other. Padding can also effect back-to-back multi-channel recordings as well, in that they can and often do clash.
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM

Cheers! Ron.

To be honest, The Humax Freesat Freetime box (1000S) seems to be much more reliable than the Youview T1010. So far its not failed and never clipped a recording (even set to Auto and its got the extra option of padding!). As I posted elsewhere I am beginning to really dislike the T1010 and seems to be having "glitch" hell on the replacement box I have just received.

Cheers! Ron.

@visionman

Thanks for the reply. I thought that must be the case. Presumably padding is a way of adding a few minutes to the end of an AR setting that moves if the end if the programme is delayed?

Cheers! Ron.

Nope - you are saying 'I know better than AR does, give me a recording between these exact minutes, and to hell with AR!'

Cheers! Ron.

I see. No chance of getting it wrong then.:-)

Cheers! Ron.

When my YouView box spent a week back in the year 2000, it nevertheless recorded every programme in my schedule perfectly.

It would have taken some remarkable padding settings to have achieved the same :-)
  • Ronald KearleyRonald Kearley Member Posts: 14
    edited 18 March 2017, 7:21PM
    Both episodes of "The Bill" on "Drama" today failed to record the end of both episodes on my YouView box. (11.00 - 12.00 and 12.00 - 13.00)

With the added "Edit Recording Schedule" function on my "new" second-hand Humax Freeview+ HD box I have both episodes in their entirety. Edited recording times to (10.57 - 12.05 and 11.57 - 13.05).

Hopefully, now I should get 5 episodes of "The Bill" to watch every weekend. Also I'll be able to start recording stuff from "Pick", "CBS" & "Quest" among others reliably.

Don't buy YouView, like me you'll be very disappointed that it doesn't reliably record any channels other than All BBC channels, All ITV channels, All Channel 4 channels & All Five channels.

I won't be buying YouView again nor anyone in my family.

Cheers All.

Both episodes of "The Bill" on "Drama" today failed to record the end of both episodes on my YouView box. (11.00 - 12.00 and 12.00 - 13.00)

With the added "Edit Recording Schedule" function on my "new" second-hand Humax Freeview+ HD box I have both episodes in their entirety. Edited recording times to (10.57 - 12.05 and 11.57 - 13.05).

Hopefully, now I should get 5 episodes of "The Bill" to watch every weekend. Also I'll be able to start recording stuff from "Pick", "CBS" & "Quest" among others reliably.

Don't buy YouView, like me you'll be very disappointed that it doesn't reliably record any channels other than All BBC channels, All ITV channels, All Channel 4 channels & All Five channels.

Cheers All.

Ronald>
    Don't buy YouView, like me you'll be very disappointed that it doesn't reliably record any channels 

other than All BBC channels, All ITV channels, All Channel 4 channels & All Five channels.
    Honestly...
    edited 30 June 2015, 4:46PM

Cheers All.

itv 3 is not all that good for timing either..  phil..
    edited 1 July 2015, 11:23AM

Cheers All.

What i dont understand is if itv can get there recording times spot on, why cant the others. I recorded from itv last night, and the start time and end time was spot on.
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM

Cheers All.

I think the problem is sometimes they all can get it wrong. I have had issues with BBC1 and CBBC at times and then other times its been fine. It seems Drama are just getting it wrong all the time.
    edited 1 July 2015, 12:06PM

Cheers All.

drama, well dont even go there. they never get it even close..

Cheers All.

itv's minions are well-paid, and stay on the job of adjusting AR as required.

Drama's minions are not,and have all gone off to seek fame and fortune in a movie instead :-)
    edited 1 July 2015, 1:51PM

Cheers All.

yes roy, Some must be working for ITV3.. phil..
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 835 ✭✭✭
    I can't let this statement go without making comment. All the old hands on here will remember with absolute clarity the kicking forum members gave to channel 5 regarding their AR signalling. It was a complete joke, and hardly a day went by without someone posting about it. Eventually Channel 5 grasped the nettle :-)

Unfortunately, like most things, it comes down to economics. In order to provide the best AR data you need to have a "live" connection to the EPG system. As a broadcaster, this allows you to update the program guide and schedule information on the fly. Digital UK charge broadcaster much more for this kind of access so problem number one.

Problem 2 is that providing this information is currently optional. See page 5 of this guide:-

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/86326/DUK_Guide_for_Schedule_Providers.pdf

So the full adoption of AR - good though it might be - is unlikely to happen lower down the food chain even with Youview wielding a large stick.

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Spot on, John. Ultimately I blame DigitalUK for this fiasco, as they shouldn't charge more for dynamic adaptive EPG access. It should be a standard requirement!
    Visionman said:

Spot on, John. Ultimately I blame DigitalUK for this fiasco, as they shouldn't charge more for dynamic adaptive EPG access. It should be a standard requirement!

(Right, the comments and reply option has gone whackco with no syntax option such as quotes , bold and italics).
    Anaglypta said:

I can't let this statement go without making comment. All the old hands on here will remember with absolute clarity the kicking forum members gave to channel 5 regarding their AR signalling. It was a complete joke, and hardly a day went by without someone posting about it. Eventually Channel 5 grasped the nettle :-)

Unfortunately, like most things, it comes down to economics. In order to provide the best AR data you need to have a "live" connection to the EPG system. As a broadcaster, this allows you to update the program guide and schedule information on the fly. Digital UK charge broadcaster much more for this kind of access so problem number one.

Problem 2 is that providing this information is currently optional. See page 5 of this guide:-

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/86326/DUK_Guide_for_Schedule_Providers.pdf

So the full adoption of AR - good though it might be - is unlikely to happen lower down the food chain even with Youview wielding a large stick.

John.I thought the AR between programmes was in the actual broadcast data stream - in fact, all broadcast datastreams, as a secondary,

So is that being taken from the EPG?