YouView won't tune any channels - aerial working, internet working

Andy GregoryAndy Gregory Posts: 4Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
My YouView box will not tune any channels. The tuning operation flies from 0% to 100% in about 2 seconds resulting in 0 channel found.

- 1st gen YouView box. Recently moved house after not using it for 1 year. 
- Internet connection is good (Virgin 50mbps).
- Aerial is connected and working - Aerial is running through the YouView box and I can select aerial input on the TV and get Freeview channels. I have also tried both aerial cables straight to the TV with the same result.
- YouView is connected to the TV via HDMI.

There is some slight dropout on some channels on Freeview. 
Is the YouView box that much more sensitive or is there another issue?

Thanks

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,207Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi Andy and welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear of your problem here.

But you are not alone in this issue:-

https://community.youview.com/youview...

Sanj, one swallow does not make a summer (or even a decent amount of drink), but these reports, taken in aggregate, suggest that there is a common problem emerging here, be it hardware or software, where the YouView box doesn't even try to tune properly before reporting that it can't.

What do you think?

Keith, a new one for the list, or has this come up before?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,406Member, Champion mod
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    I've added an entry (item 41) for this emerging issue into the consolidated list of bugs and faults.

Having a quick skim over the various related threads so far it looks like this problem emerged a little before 24/6/2015 (the date the last software update for retail boxes was announced as rolling out) and that those affected appear to have T1xxx boxes. As such it is not entirely clear this is the usual software bug introduced with an update that then emerges as users report in the weeks following the update roll out. The T1xxx boxes have a tarnished reputation for reliability and a tuner issue could be a power supply or tuner hardware issue and perhaps a completely failed tuner would indeed then result in the tuning process returning quickly as it can no longer see a tuner in the box at all rather than simply not seeing any signal on the tuner. If that were the case though one might wonder why we are seeing several people with very similar symptoms all at approximately the same time and why we cannot recall past reports of tuning attempts only taking a couple of seconds rather than a couple of minutes.

For now it is thus not entire clear this is a software bug, a hardware fault, or an interplay perhaps between software and hardware :(
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:57PM
    Roy1 said:

Sanj, one swallow does not make a summer (or even a decent amount of drink), but these reports, taken in aggregate, suggest that there is a common problem emerging here, be it hardware or software, where the YouView box doesn't even try to tune properly before reporting that it can't.

What do you think?

Roy - I agree, there does appear to be a common problem emerging here. I've passed these examples on to our device management team to look into. Ideally we'd like to find out when (if ever) a channel scan should behave in this way. Knowing this might help us resolve/identify the issue. 

Andy - Thanks for raising this with us. Sorry you're experiencing this issue, I appreciate that can be quite frustrating. It would be really helpful if you could answer a few questions, to help us with the investigation:
    • Box Make/Model (Settings > System Information > Device Information)
    • Software Versions (System Information > Software Versions)
    • Postcode (Can you send this to [email protected] (we don't encourage members to post personal information on the forum))
    • Your chain of connections from the aerial to the YouView box (including any additional equipment)
    • Type of aerial
    Keith1 said:

I've added an entry (item 41) for this emerging issue into the consolidated list of bugs and faults.

Having a quick skim over the various related threads so far it looks like this problem emerged a little before 24/6/2015 (the date the last software update for retail boxes was announced as rolling out) and that those affected appear to have T1xxx boxes. As such it is not entirely clear this is the usual software bug introduced with an update that then emerges as users report in the weeks following the update roll out. The T1xxx boxes have a tarnished reputation for reliability and a tuner issue could be a power supply or tuner hardware issue and perhaps a completely failed tuner would indeed then result in the tuning process returning quickly as it can no longer see a tuner in the box at all rather than simply not seeing any signal on the tuner. If that were the case though one might wonder why we are seeing several people with very similar symptoms all at approximately the same time and why we cannot recall past reports of tuning attempts only taking a couple of seconds rather than a couple of minutes.

For now it is thus not entire clear this is a software bug, a hardware fault, or an interplay perhaps between software and hardware :(

Thanks for keeping track Keith.
  • Andy GregoryAndy Gregory Posts: 4Member
    edited 14 July 2015, 8:42PM
    Roy1 said:

What do you think?

Hi and thanks for the reply. Answers as follows:

Manufacturer: Humax
    Model: DTRT1000
    Variant: 80B07000

Manufacturer software: 21.10.0
    Component software: 2.9.24
    Platform Config: 1350
    ISP Config: 6

Postcode: TW11 9AG

Connections: Aerial wall socket > YouView box input > YouView box aerial output > TV aerial input. YouView HDMI  > TV HDMI

Aerial: The aerial is a roof mounted outdoor aerial attached to the chimney facing the same direction as everyone elses (not sure what else to call it)

Thanks
    Andy
    Roy1 said:

What do you think?

Thanks Andy - I've passed this on. 
  • Andy GregoryAndy Gregory Posts: 4Member
    edited 1 September 2015, 8:43AM
    Hi, Is there any solution to this yet? It's been 2 months since posting and I have a useless brick sat behind the TV.
    Thanks
    Andy