netflix buffering problems

Ian AshworthIan Ashworth Posts: 46Member
edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM in Archived Posts
has the problem of netflix constantly buffering when watching a film been resolved yet as I still get the problem despite switching to fibre broadband. I only have the problem when watching via my you view box, if I watch through any other device I don't have a problem.

Comments

• redchizredchiz Posts: 4,789Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    You make it sound like a widespread problem, I am not aware that it is. Do you have issues with any other On Demand players buffering on your YouView box? How is the box connected to the router?
  • Ian AshworthIan Ashworth Posts: 46Member
    edited 2 October 2015, 3:08PM
    after checking online it looks like a very widespread problem and has been for some time.
    My box is connected via home plugs but have tried hard wire direct to router with same results.
    Don't have a problem with any other on demand player I use
    OK, it might help the YouView team here if you can post links to where you have found this very widespread problem online so that they they can look into it further.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,813Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Have you tried the 8-second reset? Touch the standby button, when not recording nor about to, for just over 8 seconds, and the box will soft reset.

Nothing will be lost, no settings, tunings, recordings, etc., but it might clear your problems with Netflix which, as Redchiz says, and I can also attest, are not universal.
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    edited 6 March 2017, 6:40PM
    hi redchiz
    Just typed ' netflix buffering ' into google and there they are
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM

hi redchiz

Yes, you will get lots of hits that way, which proves that Netflix is flaky on many devices. Try adding "YouView" to the search term though if you want to make it relevant here. But are you trying to make a point, or find a solution?

hi redchiz

I'm trying to find a solution. My You View box is less than 6 months old, BT/Humax DTR T2110, fibre broadband, hard wired to internet and still have the problem of buffering 3 or 4 times during 1 film. Film stops starts buffering gets to 25% stops after a while get a message about network connection, press ok starts buffering again and eventually film restarts. This only happens with my You View box. Can watch on other device via wireless connection with no problem. If anyone can help I would be very grateful

Roy1 said:

Have you tried the 8-second reset? Touch the standby button, when not recording nor about to, for just over 8 seconds, and the box will soft reset.

Nothing will be lost, no settings, tunings, recordings, etc., but it might clear your problems with Netflix which, as Redchiz says, and I can also attest, are not universal.

Yes tried that no different. I assume this is a Netflix/You View problem that You View don't have an answer to.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,248Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:03PM

hi redchiz

VM customers seem to have a similar problem:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Netflix-stuck-Buffering-at-25-Help-please/td-p/2288829
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM
    Hi Ian, 

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. Can you let me know what the 'SDK Version' & 'UI Build' is for the Netflix App? To find this out:
    • Open Netflix and sign in
    • Go up to Netflix Settings (The cog icon if you scroll to the top of the content menu)
    • Scroll down to "Device"
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:57PM
    Sanj said:

Hi Ian, 

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. Can you let me know what the 'SDK Version' & 'UI Build' is for the Netflix App? To find this out:

• Open Netflix and sign in
    • Go up to Netflix Settings (The cog icon if you scroll to the top of the content menu)
    • Scroll down to "Device"
    Hi again,

It would also be great if you could let us know:
    • YouView Software Versions (Settings > System Information > Software Versions)
    • Does this happen on all films/programmes you watch on Netflix or just specific ones. Either way can you give us an example of a film/programme you've experienced this on.
    Hi.
    Sorry followed your instructions for finding 'SKD version' &'UI Build' but when I go to netflix settings there is nothing that says "Device"
    As far as your second request is concerned the software version is 'Manufacturer software:21.10.0' 'Component software:2.9.24'  'Platform configuration:1372'  'ISP configuration:84'
    I only ever watch films on Netflix but yes it happens with all films.
    Hope this helps as this is driving me nuts.

Hi.
    Sorry followed your instructions for finding 'SKD version' &'UI Build' but when I go to netflix settings there is nothing that says "Device"
    As far as your second request is concerned the software version is 'Manufacturer software:21.10.0' 'Component software:2.9.24'  'Platform configuration:1372'  'ISP configuration:84'
    I only ever watch films on Netflix but yes it happens with all films.
    Hope this helps as this is driving me nuts.

Sorry Ian, I missed a step. Go to settings then select 'Get Help' you should be able to see 'Device'
    Hi
    Thanks,
     The SDK version is: sdk 4.0.63-realease-2185329
    The UI Build : realease-20150707_170-saphire
    Ian

Hi
    Thanks,
     The SDK version is: sdk 4.0.63-realease-2185329
    The UI Build : realease-20150707_170-saphire
    Ian

Thanks Ian. Can you also give us a few examples of the films you've watched that have had this issue?
    Hi Sanj.
    I can't name them but it is every film I have ever watched on Netflix.
    My neighbour has a 'smart tv' so no you view box, with a slower broadband speed and he has no problems, he can watch the same film as me and never have one instance of buffering.
    Don't know if this helps, but I really do hope you can help, it is getting to the stage where I may as well go back to renting dvd films off Love Films.
    Thanks
      Ian
    Hi Sanj
    I have been trying to remember some films I have watched on Netflix, they are:Identity Thief, Cool Runnings, Cinderella, Guilt Trip and Sabotage. There are many more that I can't remember but as I said I have never watched a film on Netflix yet without it stopping, start buffering, getting to 25% then stopping altogether until I restart the film and select resume film.
    Ian
  • Colin DaviesColin Davies Posts: 6Member
    edited 21 November 2015, 1:01PM

Hi Sanj
    I have been trying to remember some films I have watched on Netflix, they are:Identity Thief, Cool Runnings, Cinderella, Guilt Trip and Sabotage. There are many more that I can't remember but as I said I have never watched a film on Netflix yet without it stopping, start buffering, getting to 25% then stopping altogether until I restart the film and select resume film.
    Ian

Keeping an eye on this as I have exactly the same problem!
    Hi Colin,
    Yes despite earlier comments it does seem to be quite a widespread problem

Hi Colin,
    Yes despite earlier comments it does seem to be quite a widespread problem

With the greatest respect, two is hardly "widespread."
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I'm sorry redchiz are you somehow involved in this problem?
  • alal Posts: 1,291Member ✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM
    Have you tried turning the router off and on again?
  • Colin DaviesColin Davies Posts: 6Member
    edited 21 November 2015, 1:01PM
    From my viewpoint, I have had a number of electrical cuts over the last 6 months due to lightnig. So that should cover it Al.
    Yes tried all the usual, only does it when watching through the You View box, watch through any other device and I don't have a problem even when when watching through a wireless connection.

Um, I was the first person to ask for some further information to try to understand your problem, I don't doubt that it exists, but I also don't understand why you want to keep embellishing it with needless hyperbole.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,813Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:40AM

Well, he was there at the start, pretty much, and anyone is free to post anything on any thread in this Community without fear or favour, as long as it does not break the Community rules and guidelines.

But you might want to point redchiz to the following, and explain that you are not a foreigner:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newst...
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • alal Posts: 1,291Member ✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM
    I don't know if your idea of usual matches mine. How about trying different ethernet leads/sockets? And dns address?
  • Jonathan SweatmanJonathan Sweatman Posts: 1Member
    edited 20 July 2015, 4:19PM

Hi Sanj
    Ian

I received new you view box a week ago and have had the same problem ever since. Watching a film involves four or more freezes on 25% followed by the instruction to reconnect, before it buffers again and the film eventually restarts

Yes anyone can post anything they like I just don't see the point of posts that don't actually come up with anything that may help

Hi Sanj
    Ian

Hi
    I have now contacted You View direct instead of constantly going through this page, but I ẃill update this post whenever I get any info off them. As yet they have not replied