YouView delivers first Ultra HD set top box in the UK

13»

Comments

• Michael GMichael G Member Posts: 876
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:29PM
    Joe2 said:

These are starting to appear on eBay now. Tempting to have a speedy box with a larger 1tb harddrive. Though my experience with the old t-1000 trial box dying after 2 1/2 years would require me to get a 5 year warranty.
    For now the t-2000 is doing a fine job.

Guess these are bound to come to retail at some point

Good read David. A content supplier finally giving appropriate regard to sound.

Hallelujah. Although I've now got to add a 5.1.4 system to my 4K wishlist :-(
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:01PM
    Joe2 said:

These are starting to appear on eBay now. Tempting to have a speedy box with a larger 1tb harddrive. Though my experience with the old t-1000 trial box dying after 2 1/2 years would require me to get a 5 year warranty.

Interesting that the word 'Atmos' was not mentioned - from what I understood the user would have less control over this Dolby system than the competing dts:X system.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    Joe2 said:

Lordy, look at that wiring. And we have people on here puzzling over connecting up a YouView box...BT Sport Ultra HDs 514 future plans sound great Behind the scenes at the British MotoGP
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    Joe2 said:

David>
    Interesting read for those of you with the UHD box.

Or without. :)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Michael GMichael G Member Posts: 876
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:29PM
    Joe2 said:

redchiz, they forgot this bit ;-)

• scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM
    Joe2 said:

If you look carefully you can see the man wearing a SKY jacket standing at the front of the truck with a pair of cable cutters in his hand ;-)
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 January 2016, 10:12PM
    Joe2 said:

Ok I'm curious about any performance boost with this new Dtr-4000 bt box. I gather some people have already had them installed.

If any proud new owner is able to, I'd be really grateful if you could do a couple of quick tests on the start up time of the BBC iplayer app in the actual "players & app" section.

Using a stop watch on your smart phone( or a real one) launch the iplayer whilst simultaneously starting the stop watch and stopping when the home screen has completed launch. Worth doing twice or even 3 times, as the first time takes a little longer.

Heres the launch times from the last 2 Humax models:
    Dtr-t1000 26 secs
    Dtr-t2000 11 secs
    Dtr-t4000 ?

Be interesting to see if there is any performance jump over the speedier t-2000

@scott Do you happen to have the new Netflix start up time for the Dtr-t4000?
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM
    Joe2 said:

Ok I'm curious about any performance boost with this new Dtr-4000 bt box. I gather some people have already had them installed.

If any proud new owner is able to, I'd be really grateful if you could do a couple of quick tests on the start up time of the BBC iplayer app in the actual "players & app" section.

Using a stop watch on your smart phone( or a real one) launch the iplayer whilst simultaneously starting the stop watch and stopping when the home screen has completed launch. Worth doing twice or even 3 times, as the first time takes a little longer.

Dtr-t1000 26 secs
    Dtr-t2000 11 secs
    Dtr-t4000 ?

I can get it but what are you timing. I have profiles so I can time from pressing on Netflix under apps until the profile screen, then onto the main Netflix screen.

Edit - so things vary slightly but it seems to take about 9 seconds from hitting the Netflix tile on the app screen to the profiles being up. It only takes a second then from pressing on the profile to the main screen being up.
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 January 2016, 12:09AM
    Joe2 said:

Dtr-t1000 26 secs
    Dtr-t2000 11 secs
    Dtr-t4000 ?

Thats great - thanks scott