June Software issue with vanishing Scheduled Recordings & Failed Recordings

stormystormy Posts: 1,025Member ✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Hi,

I got hold of my third box (2nd warranty replacement) which has been working fine since last Friday at the old software revision and since updating to the latest version a couple of days ago its gone fubar again :

Software: 21.30.50
Component: 2.9.34
Platform: 1392
ISP: 6

High Eco

The box is a DTR-T1010 (device DTRT1000 80B07000)

It's failing recordings and losing track of scheduled recordings just like the last box. I am starting to lose the will to live with this. This software seems to not like something for me.

Digital Signal is from Yorkshire (Emley Moor) but has option for weak signal from East Yorkshire and Lincs (Belmont).

Signal for SD is ~67% strength 100% quality. HD is only ~52% (this used to be ~62% on the other boxes) 100% quality.

If I set a new recording from the guide the list of scheduled recordings materialises with my old stuff before my eyes but once it's done this it just starts failing all the recordings.

I've also noticed that sometimes when I set a Recording say Odessey on BBC2 HD on Monday at 11.20pm (this is a repeat) it gets confused on reboot and changes it to the 9pm showing on BBC2 York's (SD) which then causes my Humans on C4HD to error as I have 2 recordings at this time already. What is going on?

Utterly sick of this.

Thanks

Comments

• Merle GibbinsMerle Gibbins Posts: 13Member
    edited 20 July 2015, 2:52PM
    You are not the only one believe me if you have read my comments you will see.  I am now going to take them to Court as sick and tired of having to put up with this.  Its been 5 months now I have not been able to watch the TV.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi Stormy,

Really sorry to hear about this. I'm passing this thread on to our tech teams to have a look at. Thanks for providing all the detail in your original post. 

Can you also clarify something. When you say the box is loosing track of scheduled recordings, what happens? Does the scheduled list appear as blank, or something else?

If the former, have you tried an 8 second reboot to see if the scheduled list repopulates? 
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,025Member ✭✭
    edited 3 March 2017, 6:12PM
    Sanj,

It goes either completely blank or I get the following:

It goes from me setting this imageTo this. All I have done is put the box in standby. imageI don't get it at all. Some of the HD recordings have moved to SD etc. This was left in standby for about 30 mins. It's changed channels and times for the recordings. If I leave it in standby for longer sometimes the list is completely gone with the message I have no scheduled recordings.
    I've just tried removing all the recordings and then switching the box off completely. I am rebooting now and will try to set everything again.

This is what I get when I lose all recordings. I am not convinced they are lost though as I think sometimes they are hidden and maybe that's why it then messes us when I try to reset them. Hence why I have just deleted all recordings and rebooted.image
    I've now reset it and shuffled some things around using C4HD+1 and recording the first showing of Odessey. I'll see if these stick.

Nope. It's become this after 30 mins standby. What the hell? What's causing this?

Some time later.... Huh?

This morning greated with:

This box is exhibiting the exact same symptoms as the last box but ONLY since being updated to 21.30.50.
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    After retuning my default region is given as the much weaker option.

Or my strongest transmitter:

To be honest I am sure having those two options as always been normal operation.

My scheduled recordings list becomes this after the retune:

• Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 27Member
    After all my recent problems with my DTR-1010 box (Which I think are power supply related) I was told by Humax support to do a Maintenance mode Software Reset to try to cure the problems. After doing this during this mornin, the scheduled recording do not appear and I don't appear to be able to do schedule recordings for the likes of 'Humans' or 'Person of Interest'.

Nearly two years is up on my Warranty but Humax are trying to make me jump through hoops on this. I too have seen the disappearing Channels message and similar stuff on this page over the last few weeks. In the case of the disappearing channels, instead of retuning successfully, I just restarted the box and they appeared again!

Time to go back to my Digitalstream PVR from 2010 again whilst I explore other non-Youview options. This has been a shambles the last few months or so!

After all my recent problems with my DTR-1010 box (Which I think are power supply related) I was told by Humax support to do a Maintenance mode Software Reset to try to cure the problems. After doing this during this mornin, the scheduled recording do not appear and I don't appear to be able to do schedule recordings for the likes of 'Humans' or 'Person of Interest'.

Nearly two years is up on my Warranty but Humax are trying to make me jump through hoops on this. I too have seen the disappearing Channels message and similar stuff on this page over the last few weeks. In the case of the disappearing channels, instead of retuning successfully, I just restarted the box and they appeared again!

Time to go back to my Digitalstream PVR from 2010 again whilst I explore other non-Youview options. This has been a shambles the last few months or so!

Don't blame you !  I have had 3 new boxes in 5 months, same problem and just wondered if you have this problem as per the attached image - I have had to get Sky as well because of this useless equipment !!image
  • Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 27Member
    edited 18 July 2015, 7:03PM

Meant to say in my previous post that it is repeat scheduled recordings that seemed to disappear rather than one off schedule recordings that only 'sometimes' disappear.

Yes, Merle it is a massive shame that even replacement boxes do not solve the problems and that alternatives to Youview have to be found for PVR purposes. Looks like Youview quality control is non-existant. When you do not have control over when updates happen - as we do not with Youview boxes - then Youview must release updates that are free of major issues. Sadly it has been increasingly apparent over the past couple of years that this is not the case. :(
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    stormy said:

To be honest I am sure having those two options as always been normal operation.

Putting together a handful of hypotheses may or may not explain what is going on here.

Or YouView may say "No, it doesn't work like that" to one or several of them.

But here goes:-

(i) It's where you live, and possibly your exact aerial setup as well, which is why box after box does the same thing.

(ii) you box is being pulled between the two reception possibilities you have, on an almost random basis, possibly due to atmospherics, or which way the wind is blowing, or some such. (Or maybe due to some complex, but non-random, algorithm in the box which we cannot fathom).

(iii) your box (and possibly indeed everybody's box) does not just have its schedule sit passively once it is created, but it can vary. Possibly just when you look at it, but possibly all the time. And this happens when it checks whether its schedule is feasible (if and when it does that) or if a certain programme you have asked for has come up yet, or some such.

(iv) and because of (ii), on making such checks, it finds it can no longer access the channel (in the C22-C64 sense) that it was going to use. So instead of disappointing you, it switches the schedule for that programme to the nearest channel it can use.

(v) a previously unobserved bizarreness of the infelicity where a new Series Record request also creates a single request for the first programme in the series, taken together with the issues above, means that the single request can actually become uncoupled, and go off on a channel journey different from the one the Series goes on.

I think that covers most (all?) of what is happening to you.

Do you agree, stormy, or have I missed something, or is there something that happens that seems to contradict the above?

It maybe that when YouView correct the error that trophytr5 found, or any related ones that turn up in this area of YouView logic, that all will become well for you.

Or if you get an aerial fitter to come and optimise your aerial better, possibly with a very directional multi-element one with higher rejection for the weaker transmitter, this may help.

(And this latter may help even if my theories are completely wrong about the mechanisms).

Worth seeing what YouView say, though, first.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:41AM

I don't think it's manufacturing quality control, though it may well be software quality control.

I have a very strong suspicion that if I brought my impeccably-working T1000 to the home of anyone who has the problems in the above thread, it would start doing those weird/bad things.

And conversely that any one, probably, of the ten boxes you have collectively gone through would work just fine on my aerial.

As Phil and Kirsty would say, it's 'Location, Location, Location' :-(
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,303Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM

I think that there is a sufficient number of YouView boxes out there that are working as they should to demonstrate that YouView equipment is not, in general, rubbish.

If a box doesn't work properly in a particular situation, then it might seem reasonable to blame the box. If a replacement box behaves misbehaves in exactly the same way, then almost certainly the cause of the problem must be something other than the box. There seems to be little point in repeatedly changing the box in the hope that the next one will work properly. Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

BT in particular seem to be too ready to send out replacement boxes, rather than finding out what causes some YouView boxes to not behave as they should. It probably isn't in their brief to find out the cause of the problem, but surely it is in their interest to do so?

The key difference between a Sky and a YouView installation is that the Sky installation is done by an engineer whose job is to ensure that the setup is working as it should before he leaves the premises. Clearly that is not the case with most YouView installations.

edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM
    stormy said:

To be honest, this is the conclusion i am coming to Roy and your email matches with what I am thinking, the problem is Belmont is pretty much unusable at my location and the 801 channels are next to useless.Coupled with the fact my aerial points in a completely different direction. It must be picking up Belmont from a repeater or sth.

Interestingly as I am sat here reading this I just checked and one of the programs had moved to BBC One East Yorkshire & Lincs from BBC HD. So it appears indeed the box goes hunting on a continual basis. Is this something new with 21.30.50 as this never happened with my original faulty (PSU) box or with this latest replacement until it updated to 21.30.50?

I would imagine lots of people live between two transmitters? I can't be unique in that point. 

The next question, is there a way to completely eradicate the Belmont (East Yorskhire and Lincs) option and force my box to ignore that transmitter and just sit on Emley Moor (Yorkshire) as that is where my aerial is pointing :/

Bottom line is how do I solve it, if I can't Youview is no longer an option for me (as it once was).

Jonesh, I know others have jumped on my thread but all I can do is speak for myself and confirm that this issue for me only appeared to start since 21.30.50. I guess Youview could confirm or deny this by telling me what this update actually did. If its messed with how Youview confirms/checks/updates its recording schedule then it could be my issue.

I have read most, if not all, of your postings stormy. I admire your tenacity. You have tried to get to the bottom of the problem without labelling YouView as a load of rubbish.

I notice from your post a few minutes ago that if you can't solve the problem YouView would no longer be an option for you. I understand the way you feel, but it would be a pity if you gave up at this stage. YouView needs you!

YouView might need us but I don't need them.  I can be working on the computer and suddenly I lose everything where the fibre optic broadband keeps giving me poor connection.  It goes on and off all day long and BT said that it was because of the broadband that the TV was playing up.  If that's the case then why not send someone out to sort out the problem instead of keep sending out new boxes !!
    I have just rigged up my old Sony RDR-HXD870 HDD PVR (Its not DVD-T2 compatible so SD only) and the difference is astonishing. I am coming to the conclusion the tuner in the Youview box is poor or just reports very negatively. 

Still ignoring that for a moment, hopefully this will help diagnose some of these issues.

Take a look at these:
    Emley Moor (Youview)  C47 PSB1/BBCA (BBC One Yorks) Signal Strength 67% Quality 100% C44 PSB2/D3+D4 (ITV Yorks) Signal Strength 68% Quality 100% C41 PSB3/BBCB (BBC One HD) Signal Strength 66% Quality 100% C51 COM4/SDN (ITV3) Signal Signal Strength 55-66% (It flicks constantly between these values?!?) Quality 100% C52 COM5/ArqA (Pick) Signal Strength 55-66% (It flicks constantly between these values?!?) Quality 100% c48 COM6/ArqB (ITV4) Signal Strength 67% Quality 100% c56 LLS/Local (PoP) Signal Strength 10% Quality 100% c32 COM7 (BBC News HD) Signal Strength 51% Quality 100% c34 COM8 (QVC HD) Signal Strength 53% Quality 100%  Belmont (Youview)  C22 PSB1/BBCA (Ch 801 - BBC One East Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Signal Stength 37% Quality 100%  Emley Moor (Sony RDR-HXD870 Daisy Chained with Youview RF)  C47 PSB1/BBCA (BBC One Yorks) Signal Strength 89% Quality 100% C44 PSB2/D3+D4 (ITV Yorks) Signal Strength 92% Quality 100% C41 PSB3/BBCB (BBC One HD) Not Available C51 COM4/SDN (ITV3) Signal Signal Strength 89% Quality 100% C52 COM5/ArqA (Pick) Signal Strength 89% Quality 100% c48 COM6/ArqB (ITV4) Signal Strength 88% Quality 100% c56 LLS/Local (PoP) Signal Strength 37% Quality 100% c32 COM7 (BBC News HD) Not Available c34 COM8 (QVC HD) Not Available  Belmont (Sony RDR-HXD870 Daisy Chained with Youview RF)  C22 PSB1/BBCA (Ch 801 - BBC One East Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Signal Stength 13% Quality 31%  
    So the observations here are stark.

1. The HXD870 either has a much better tuner or is just reporting higher figures (bare in mind I never had any issues with this box in the past recording)

2. The HXD870 is reporting C22 much weaker than the Youview box which oddly is giving C22/801 a much higher strength. (I can't fathom this).

3. Is the fact I am turning the box off on BBC News HD (which is only a 51% SS on the Youview box) making the box jump around channels? If for example I turn off on BBC One HD which is a much higher SS will that change anything (I am going to test that myself)

4. Incidentally it does not matter if I daisy chain the units in or put the aerial feed directly into the Youview box, the reception strengths stay the same regardless if the Youview box is wired directly on its own, or slaved in after the HXD870 via its RF Out. 

5. I never get any breakups on my Youview box watching live TV except for on PoP which we have tried a few times and 801 for the BBC One Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. (understandable from their low SS).

6. I have on occasion had the odd sound blip on C4HD recordings but never any graphical pixelation.

7. COM4 / COM5 on Youview seems to flick between 55% and 66% continuously which is very odd, all the other Youview figures are either static or the flick up and down 1% or 2%. No idea whats going on with those reporting figures for COM4 and COM5 MUX's

http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Emley_Moor_(U)

http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Belmont

I have no idea how I am even getting C22 in my location especially at the 37% reported strength. I am more inclined to believe the 13% of the HXD870 when my aerial is pointing around 100 degrees at a differing angle than it would need to be to be pointing at Belmont. :)

You have an issue with your broadband that needs sorting out. A broadband problem can adversely affect a YouView box, but that doesn't make it a problem with YouView as such.

I agree with you that BT should send someone out to sort things out for you. Maybe they will.

You mentioned in an earlier post that your fibre broadband was slow with both Sky and BT. If your broadband speed is significantly slower than estimated by the supplying company, that would indicate that there is a problem with your phone line. A line can be OK for phone calls but poor for broadband. Your low BB speed should be sufficient reason for them to send an engineer to check it out for you. A BT Openreach engineer could measure the speed of your BB at a point close to your house. If the actual speed that you receive is slower than his measurement, then there is a problem with your line and he should replace it.

He won't do anything beyond your BT master socket though, but getting your BB sorted should be a step in the right direction.

Sky boxes use broadband for catchup, but I don't think that they are as dependent on BB as YouView boxes for their correct operation. Also of course, the main source of TV programming for a Sky box is a satellite dish, not the aerial used by YouView.

Thank you will have to get on to them again.  I didn't have fibure optic with Sky just the normal broadband but it was definitely faster that this fibre optic.
  • Chris_ThatcherChris_Thatcher Posts: 194Member
    edited 18 December 2016, 10:33AM
    stormy said:

To completely remove the weaker TV MUX, buy a variable attenuator
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VARIABLE-ATTENUATOR-TV-AERIAL-SIGNAL-REDUCER-20dB-3-5-6-8-9-10-12-15-18-FR...
    Adjust this whilst you watch the MUX you wish to remove. When the picture has completely gone, retune your YouView box. The box will then only receive the wanted region, so you should not see any channels in the 800s.

Chris.

There is no reason why BT fibre broadband should be slower than Sky ADSL (normal) BB. They both use the same BT Openreach network. The engineer who connected your line to fibre should have checked that all was well before he left.

Before you get on to BT, you need to have evidence that your BB is slower than they predicted for your line. They will ask for speed measurements using one of their sites.

Assuming that your router is connected directly to your BT master socket, use a computer to do a BB speed measurement using this site:

http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed

It should give you a measurement of the speed coming into your house as well as at your computer, but sometimes it just rates the incoming speed as good, or poor, or somesuch.

If that happens,  you need to connect your computer to your router using a network cable. Then, either repeat the test using the previous site, or use this one to get more information:

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/home.jsp

If your BB speed measured in this way is OK, then the problem lies inside your house, but we can look at that later.

Regardless of possible problems with your broadband, the picture that you posted indicates that there is a problem with the signal from your aerial. Did you manage to get readings of your aerial signal strength and quality? If you did, post them. Post again if you are not sure how to get them.

edited 6 March 2017, 7:40PM
    Well was greeted again this morning by. (Note the pic is from Sat I didn't feel the need to take the same pic again)

What I noticed though is when I went into settings it still said I had 168 channels tuned (Huh?) So just backed out of the menu and BBC One HD appeared (the last channel selected) and all was OK again.

The scheduled recordings list was deleted again though and I had a failed recording of 24 Hours in A&E (4Seven HD) which should not have even been recorded as it wasn't scheduled.

This is caused by where I live? This box is just not fit for purpose.
    Agree, absolutely useless !!
    stormy said:

Well was greeted again this morning by. (Note the pic is from Sat I didn't feel the need to take the same pic again)

What I noticed though is when I went into settings it still said I had 168 channels tuned (Huh?) So just backed out of the menu and BBC One HD appeared (the last channel selected) and all was OK again.

The scheduled recordings list was deleted again though and I had a failed recording of 24 Hours in A&E (4Seven HD) which should not have even been recorded as it wasn't scheduled.

If you haven't already done it, I think that Chris Thatcher's suggestion of using a variable attenuator to eliminate the possibility of your box tuning to a weaker transmitter is worth a try. He made the suggestion in an earlier thread, but I don't think that the poster of that thread gave it a go.

Your thread has split into two stormy. To quote from an earlier thread, has it become forked?:-)
    stormy said:

Yeh I saw the post.

My problem is I don't see how an attenuator will stop it losing the channels entirely and to be honest I have enough **** behind my TV. If my old Sony PVR can do it, so can Youview. If there is no fix in s/w can be done i'll just move over to the Freesat Freetime box and bin the Youview box. As relying on the old Sony is not really a long term solution when it is not DVB-T2.

If Youview want to supply me one to test it they can feel free but I don't feel I should have to kludge my setup to suit the whims of Youview. The 10 year old Sony PVR just records what programmes I tell it to.

I have previously had a Youview box working fine for the better part of the last 20 months. Something has changed. Maybe my aerial feed has become worse (doesn't seem to ring true with my SS numbers), maybe something in the Youview software has changed. 

Even if I forgive Youview and blame my aerial then why is the Sony PVR which is essentially 10 years old working perfectly fine. Humax could only dream of that reliability. Its been sat in my setup for those 10 years (not as a PVR since I got Youview ~2 years ago) but as a DVD player for the little one and so has lived in standby/use for all that time.

I have not moved house, this is the same house which had pretty much flawless performance with Youview till my first box PSU decided it had had enough. Belmont and Emley Moor have not moved but granted signals have evolved over that time.

I'll see what, if anything Youview can come up with.
    Hmm while not been conclusive. I've just had the box in ECO LOW for the past 1h30m and all the scheduled recordings have stayed intact with the same channel settings. While not conclusive it might be pointing into a problem with ECO HIGH. Thoughts?

Not sure we can blame my location after all. Unless it's more than one factor.

Why ECO HIGH is losing RF settings when ECO LOW is preserving them has to be a software issue doesn't it? :)

Still intact after 3 hours in standby in ECO LOW. It looks like to me ECO HIGH is broken with 21.30.50.
    stormy said:

Hmm while not been conclusive. I've just had the box in ECO LOW for the past 1h30m and all the scheduled recordings have stayed intact with the same channel settings. While not conclusive it might be pointing into a problem with ECO HIGH. Thoughts?

Why ECO HIGH is losing RF settings when ECO LOW is preserving them has to be a software issue doesn't it? :)

Still intact after 3 hours in standby in ECO LOW. It looks like to me ECO HIGH is broken with 21.30.50.

In Eco High, the box will go right off to sleep, and only wake up about 15 minutes before the next scheduled recording is due.

So it won't be doing what I (we?) surmise the box is doing in Eco Low, which is checking its schedules all the time, and changing them whenever the wind changes.

However, expect that sooner or later it will wake up to record a programme, find it can't tune to its channel, and throw a scheduling whoopsie because of it.

High Eco has reduced the window for scheduling bingo from 24/7 to 15 minutes either side of each programme it wakes up to record, plus probably the duration of that programme, like as not.

But I fear you have scotched the snake, not killed it :-(
    stormy said:

By the way, the idea of the attenuator trick is to reduce your signal strength by enough to make the box stop looking at the spurious transmitter, while still leaving enough signal from the correct one to continue giving you 100% quality.

I also surmise that this is exclusively a Humax problem, and that Huawei boxes don't suffer from this, because someone more sensible wrote their firmware.

Unless (as Esther Rantzen used to say to her watching audience) you know different?