Live Restart feature for iPlayer coming to YouView

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
edited July 2017 in News
Hi all,

The BBC are introducing a new Live Restart feature for iPlayer which will be available on the YouView box later today. The feature allows you to restart a live programme through the iPlayer and watch it again from the start. You can find out more about this feature on the BBC website here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/451471d2-b2d1-4806-b05a-2af6ab6f2ca0

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Phil, will this work from the EPG? Is there plans to integrate that if not? I assume from wording it wont work from the EPG but would be fantastic if that could be implemented.
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    stormy said:

Phil, will this work from the EPG? Is there plans to integrate that if not? I assume from wording it wont work from the EPG but would be fantastic if that could be implemented.

Agree with stormy on this. This is a really useful addition - really pleased it's accessible within iplayer.
    Youview must see the huge potential here as stormy mentioned. It's the sort of functionality that if implemented in the EPG will really set Youview apart from other platforms in the future
    edited March 2017
    Shame the quality couldn't be better. A quick look at homes under the hammer , the audio sounds very tinny compared to the normal broadcast. Still I'm sure this can be improved in the future
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Joe2 said:

Shame the quality couldn't be better. A quick look at homes under the hammer , the audio sounds very tinny compared to the normal broadcast. Still I'm sure this can be improved in the future

Its not up to the same quality as standard iPlayer on demand stuff? That's disappointing. You would have thought it would just scale to the connection. :(
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    stormy said:

We're really excited about having the Live Restart feature on BBC iPlayer.

Using this feature from the EPG is not something we have at the moment but may be something we look at in the future. 

Good question, thanks for asking.
    edited August 2015
    Joe2 said:

No quality wise it's not great . Probably be more acceptable if the audio was better
    edited August 2015
    Joe2 said:

Restart on iplayer is a great edition, and something I've been waiting for for a while. But coming back to the quality issue - it's more noticeable particularly if you've prior been watching the same program on standard or HD broadcast, then revert to the "watch from the beginning" stream in iplayer , which is lower quality. Particularly of note is the change of audio quality, which seems very low on "restart"
    It would be great if there wasn't this contrast in quality when moving between the different broadcast mediums. It's something that's really thrown into relief now that we have instant restart on Youview, next to HD and standard terrestrial broadcasts.
    edited August 2015
    Joe2 said:

Checked again and the audio is really awful quality - picture quality is not too bad. I have BBC iplayer set to best quality in settings. I have a very good fibre connection.
    Sanj /Phil Is this a temporary hitch with the new restart service on Youview, or will we only be able to access restart with this poor audio quality?
    edited August 2015
    Be good to be able to pause/ rewind on live restart
    edited August 2015
    Joe2 said:

And fast forward!
    Got caught up in Bargin hunt on live restart, very near the end, and accidentally pressed stop on the remote, which ejected me from the stream. There's no way to fastforward and I couldn't sit through another 25 mins just to watch the missed conclusion to the program.

Note to self - don't press stop during instant restart
    Note to Youview - please introduce fastforward
    edited August 2015
    Joe2 said:

Seems to be an improvement to sound quality this evening on the "restart" stream.
    Watching genius of the ancient world on BBC 4 , audio quality is much improved from my trial of the service this morning. Not sure why that is? Maybe budget programming of daytime TV doesn't warrant quality audio streams? Or just teething troubles of the new service? Glad it appears better this evening
    edited August 2015
    stormy said:

Getting it working in the EPG would be an excellent way forward.
    Also access to "restart" from the info summary tab , combined with "watch now", and "set record" would be sensible.
    edited August 2015
    Joe2 said:

Really bad audio quality this morning again on the BBC 1 homes under the hammer "restart" and "live stream" in BBC iplayer.
    Out of curiosity I compared the equivalent "restart" audio quality on other BBC channels in the iplayer. The audio on BBC 2 , News , S4C , they sound ok.

It seems it's just a problem with the BBC 1 "restart" and " live streams" in iplayer. I expect a little drop in quality, but the BBC 1 audio is just dreadful
    edited August 2015
    Joe2 said:

Ok seems like the BBC 1 audio problem has now been fixed. All working ok now.
    edited March 2017
    Phil & Sanj , I noticed tonight that the restart option on S4c channel in iplayer doesn't work. It just goes to the live transmission instead. Tested between 7.50pm and 8.35pm
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Joe2 said:

Phil & Sanj , I noticed tonight that the restart option on S4c channel in iplayer doesn't work. It just goes to the live transmission instead. Tested between 7.50pm and 8.35pm

Just a wild guess, but might that be because S4C isn't put out by the BBC?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Joe2 said:

Oh Roy, really, you didn't know?

edited August 2015
    Joe2 said:

Yes you could be forgiven for thinking that, but it's now a fully featured channel in iplayer, and restart was working on it the other day, but not tonight for some reason?
    edited December 2016
    Joe2 said:

Hi Redchiz and Joe

Nope :-(

Never scrolled that far. My bad...
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited March 2017
    Tested s4c restart in iplayer again tonight. Restart is still broken :(
    edited August 2015
    Joe2 said:

All other BBC iplayer channels are working with restart including BBC Alba. Hope S4C can be fixed soon!
    edited December 2016
    Joe2 said:

Hi Joe - Thanks for raising this. A quick test in the office corroborates your experience. We've raised this internally and will be looking in to it.

Good spot. 
    edited August 2015
    Joe2 said:

Great thanks Sanj - other then that fix for s4c, It's been a genuinely useful edition
    edited August 2015
    This is a feature that if applied to the BBC radio channels as well (particulary radio 4), would be really helpful. I tend to follow the TV schedule more then the radio. So often I tune in to radio 4 on the off chance of finding something interesting to listen to, without pre knowledge of the schedule.

Often this means joining a program halfway through, and thinking" I wish I'd caught this from the start".

Catch up is a good option, but sadly not available anymore on Youview, and also time is precious and if there isn't an option to listen from the start, it can be hard to find the time to listen later on catch up. This is where restart on radio would be helpful.

If there was restart on BBC radio on Youview , I'd be much more likely to to follow these programs knowing that I had the option to "restart" .

I believe It would change the dynamic of the medium of radio, and If my example is anything to go by would help to increase listeners.
    edited August 2015
    Sanj & Phil

Restart seems to me to be a significant addition of functionality to iplayer on Youview. Would it be sensible to have a banner announcing this new functionality on the Youview box itself, for those millions ( yes I can say that now) of Youview users who don't follow updates on the forum and the various online social media? I think for many this may remain undetected otherwise.
    edited August 2015
    Joe2 said:

And perhaps introduce "resume from last played" option on restart to help those accidentally ejected from the IP stream :)
    edited August 2015
    And while I'm at it,

Will this new functionality be coming to the bbc's other live ip streams? For instance the ones available through the BBC connected red button and sport apps?
    edited August 2015
    Joe2 said:

Hi Sanj. Restart is still not working in S4C. Is this a complicated thing to fix, or is it a case of a busy schedule for the team , having to prioritise other things?

The reason for the reminder is that it worked in the beginning, so perhaps not such a difficult thing to get working again? I maybe drastically over simplifying the solution , but is this simply a case of turning the relevant ip stream back on?
    edited December 2016
    Joe2 said:

Hi Joe,

This is currently being investigated by the BBC, I'll let you know when this is resolved.

Thanks for your patience. 
    edited March 2017
    Phil's URL leads to a phascinating list of compatible TVs, where the roster of those made by Vestel may serve as an excellent clue to what YouView Remote codes it might be profitable to try for the brand identities involved:-

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk...

But note that the new DTR-T4000 YouView is under Humax, not YouView. Slip of the pen, or sign of the times? :-)