[Discussion] Automatic TalkTalk YouView Software Update September 2015

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Announcements
Please feel free to discuss the new TalkTalk software update for September 2015 in this thread.

Comments

• Peter CoppingPeter Copping Posts: 56Member
    edited 10 September 2015, 5:27PM
    ITS ABOUT TIME AS THE HUMAX YV BOXES HAD IT 2 MONTHS AGO!
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,424Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Good to see the list of features added bringing the TalkTalk based boxes broadly in line with the last major feature release for the Humax boxes back on 31/3/2015. Since then it has basically been bug fixes for the Humax boxes so I hope this TalkTalk update contains the relevant ones from those as well as some or all of the fixes for TalkTalk specific bugs :)
  • Simon12Simon12 Posts: 390Member
    edited 1 October 2015, 9:08AM
    Its great to see something coming to the 'last-in-the-queue' TT boxes.
    Working with Software Dev as I do, I really struggle to understand the timings here: 6 months to port/test from Humax. Boggles the brain.
    Scuze me for being all negative again.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,079Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:57PM
    This is a record isn't it?
    BT update on March 31st
    TalkTalk update on September 10th
    That's 23 weeks and 2 days.
    Us poor TalkTalk users have come to expect that we are the poor relations who have to wait about three months to catch up with BT's software, but this is nearly six months!!!
  • Sean MurphySean Murphy Posts: 30Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Still haven't been able to upload this update . Even tried a maintenance reset and it's still picking up the old 60.36.69 software as opposed to the new 60.37.69 version . Tried downloading in the youview menu and it tells me that my software is up to date . My box is a huawei dn360t.01.02.p box . Has anyone else had problems accesing this new software ? Any help would be appreciated .
  • skillerskiller Posts: 282Member ✭✭
    edited 13 September 2015, 3:42PM

Still haven't been able to upload this update . Even tried a maintenance reset and it's still picking up the old 60.36.69 software as opposed to the new 60.37.69 version . Tried downloading in the youview menu and it tells me that my software is up to date . My box is a huawei dn360t.01.02.p box . Has anyone else had problems accesing this new software ? Any help would be appreciated .

I have the same box as you, Sean, and I also have not received this update yet (neither automatically nor manually).

I wouldn't be overly concerned. If previous updates are anything to go by, it could take up to a couple of weeks (sometimes longer!) once the release announcement is made for the roll-out to reach any given box.

Agreed - tis always the way. Off to watch some Crown One-Coat Gloss dry.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,813Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:40AM

If it's gloss, how will you know? :-)
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    edited 13 September 2015, 3:46PM

Thanks skiller , thought that was the case . Wouldn't be in such a rush to get it if the last update hadn't been a bit of a disaster . Hoping this update will iron out some of those issues . I live in hope .
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,789Member ✭✭✭
    And here are the latest technology headlines:

YouView/TalkTalk update brings improvements; customers moan.

Smiley

@Roy - Maybe, The thrill of the Gloss watching is that you get to guess when its actually dry or not - i.e deployment of the finger of trepidation.
    Conversely with YV update checking, its a lot less thrill, and a different kind of finger.
    redchiz said:

Smiley

Er No - that was the news 6 months ago.
    We have no improvements to discuss thus far.
    The message (to the powers that be) - like the update - has yet to get through
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM
    redchiz said:

Smiley

You got the September update 6 months ago? Even less reason to complain!
    redchiz said:

Smiley

Don't twist my words mate.
    Like all TT customers I have yet to get the code that the Humax/retails customers got ages ago - as you well know.

6 months and counting to port to another (known quantity) box is quite frankly pathetic. 
    ................but the delay is at least consistent.

redchiz said:

Smiley

I'm not trying to twist anything mate. Nor would I 'well know' when individual customers get the update, how/why would I?

YouView have announced it is available. So at least your experience appears to be consistent with software updates for Humax boxes, they are generally in a staggered roll out over a period of time. It would be unfair if you were treated more favourably now, wouldn't it?
    redchiz said:

Smiley

Not really worth continuing with the ping-pong here, other than clarifying any delay I am talking about is the 6 month delay after the BT drop - NOT the staggered rollout of this sept drop, if that is what it is.
    Any frustration I express is because it typically takes this extended amount of time to get the code out, not the few extra days (or maybe weeks) after the forum broadcast from YV & TT HQ.
    Anyway - enough of this already - over and out.
    redchiz said:

Smiley

Don't blame you for being fustrated about TalkTalk being behind, but when they are finallly rolling the update out...?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,184Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM
    redchiz said:

Smiley

Simon>
    Any frustration I express is because it typically takes this extended amount of time to get the code out, not the few extra days (or maybe weeks) after the forum broadcast from YV & TT HQ.

No. These updates don't work like that Simon. Nothing like. I understand your not happy with the timeline but these things happen for a reason. And TT had many of them.
    redchiz said:

Smiley

So - that was your unmarked van bristling with aerials parked just over the road from Dido's drum then, was it? :-)
    redchiz said:

Smiley

Come now, they didn't even work!
    redchiz said:

Smiley

Those were the decoys :-)
    redchiz said:

Smiley

No. These updates don't work like that Simon. Nothing like. ........etc etc...........................but these things happen for a reason. And TT had many of them.
    Enlighten me VM. Meat on the bones please.
    Do you have access to info the rest of us don't have - or have I missed something?
    (Yes I know I said Over-and-out in prev post - but its a new day ;) )
    redchiz said:

Smiley

Visionman does that. I've never seen anything come of it :-)
    redchiz said:

Smiley

I do? I suppose. :)  Do I have a kernal of secret knowledge? Hidden away in the depths of the deep, dark web? Err, no. The 2 previous updates were bug fixes only. I've been told (no links available) that this new features update was also bug ridden and produced a high level of instability that was unacceptable, and they've been working on fixing it. Now what no one knows is how big is the TT Dev Team? How much time and resources do they set aside for such resources? And how much money?

I agree that 6 months is unacceptable. But at least its here now.
    redchiz said:

Smiley

Interesting. So a release that BT had six months ago is so bug-ridden when TalkTalk take it, that they have to work night and day to fix it.

And yet for BT users, no such level of severity has resulted - just the usual crop of two steps forward one step back issues that any YouView update brings.

How come this wide disparity?
    redchiz said:

Smiley

I didn't say or imply any of that. Its often (if not always) why I don't respond. Ultimately, none of it matters, as its here now. 
    redchiz said:

Smiley

Indeed you didn't. You described a situation, I did some deduction from the information you provided, and came up with a puzzlement.

But if you have an alternative explanation that will resolve my puzzlement, I am all ears.
    redchiz said:

Smiley

.....and to add to what Roy has put VM, when you say none of this matters - well it does. Simply because the same will happen again for the next update - i.e  a huge gap betwixt the BT deployment and TT.
    Not yet seen an explanation from YV as to why the TT are invariably last, and consistently many months later than the other platforms.
    Maybe they should swap the order next time (fat chance I guess)
    redchiz said:

Smiley

Not YV, Simon, TT. TT owe their own users an explanation of the gap (not that I'd expect you'd get one). And it was announced quite some time ago that the rollout order of new updates would always be Retail > BT > TT.
    If one has an issue with a talktalk update , who is responsible for the coding , talktalk or youview ? Should you report a problem here or go straight to talktalk ? I thought youview were responsible for the platform .