Losing freeview channels intermittently

Steve AllenSteve Allen Member Posts: 47
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
Hi, I have found some related posts but most relatively old - hope ok to add as new post. Over last three months or so, my Humax DTR1000 loses all freeview channels. Sky1 becomes channel 1 etc. Machine is in high eco mode. Powered up this morning and all OK, put back to standby, couple of hours later& powered up again and all freeview channels lost. To be clear by power up, I mean switching on from high-eco mode. Great picture of Hawaii 5 0 instead of BBC1 :-)
It is a Humax retail DRT1000 and I have a tiscali basic tv add on. 
Man sw: 21.50.40
Component sw: 2.9.34
Platform config: 1393
Isp config: 1401011
Re-tune has worked fine each time but lost all scheduled recordings during this 'un-tuned' period.
Any scheduled are listed as failed.
I have two aerial  feeds from a loftbox .one to the tv and one to the youview box. I have swapped these over  previously and the issue  has remained with the youview. I am in an area that I can choose London or South/Hampshire (Can't remember the actual text).
This happens once every couple of weeks or so. The box s a couple of years old, I am on my second box, first replaced under warranty. The only other fault I have is as recorded in other posts; the display will go purple/green, no actual picture that I can actually see but sound perfect. Can change channel and hear sound appropriate to new channel etc. Beleive overheating, full power off for a couple of hours and then apparently ok. Not saying related just trying to give all info that may be relevant. I do not recall an example where the corrupt display was followed by lost of channels etc.
Hoping that this may be a software/firmware issue :-)

Comments

• Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Member Posts: 367
    edited 26 February 2017, 12:20PM
    Sky 1 ? On Freeview.. ?
  • Steve AllenSteve Allen Member Posts: 47
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    When in this condition, I have only the internet channels, all freeview channels are not listed in the EPG. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM

When in this condition, I have only the internet channels, all freeview channels are not listed in the EPG. 

OWD means SKY 1 isn't on Freeview Steve. How are you accessing this channel? Through a TalkTalk Boost? Are you saying you lose all the listings in the EPG or just get the 'No information available' message?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 14 September 2015, 3:59PM

Thanks for all responses.
    Through TalkTalk boost, got it 'free' when signing up for one of these combined phone/broadband/mobile/tv deals (I just get the 'free' 6 or so internet channels - Funnily enough it was for the mobile side of things that we took this deal - not the TV  ).  Back to my prob, I lose all the freeview channels in the EPG. They are completely missing, the first channel listed is '301 Sky1'. When it happens again I will take more notes but I am pretty sure that when I press '1' on the keypad 'Sky1 is displayed'. You bring up a good point 'Visionman', I now question whether I experienced this issue prior to enabling the TalkTalk boost. My best recollection is that I did, in our household we just 'work around' these things. My kids just rescan if they switch on and it has lost channels etc. It is the lost recordings that are the pain.

Thats not normal and may indicate a box failure rather that an aerial one. But just to check, what are the signal and quality strengths (both are needed) on the channels you record Steve?
    edited 14 September 2015, 5:50PM

Thank you for the quick response.
    These are the channels we typically record. The Signal Strength would fluctuate by approx 1% while I actually viewed the setting.
    Channel                  Signal Strength        Signal Quality
    ===========================================
    BBC1                       52%                         100%
    BBC2                       52%                         100%
    ITV1                        49%                          100%
    Ch4                         49%                          100% 
    Ch5                         49%                          100%
    Film4                       49%                          100%

Those signal strengths are borderline for a dual channel box. Whats your aerial set up Steve? 
    edited 14 September 2015, 8:32PM

Thanks again Visionman for the prompt response.
    We had a new aerial installation 3 years or so ago and took the advise of a local professional installer. We have 2 aerials (one pointing to Crystal Palace & one to 'Southern'), they are combined ( in a way that they do not interfere with each other? - that is roughly what I remember being told) this then feeds into a Loftbox. This I definitely remember as a slightly cheaper brand was offered. Finally we have a number of tv feeds from the Loftbox into various rooms. Two separate feeds from the Loftbox go to our front room, one for the TV and one for the YouView box. 
    The installer fitted new coax throughout and new wall boxes etc.
    So, could I have views on trying the following:
    1 - Again swap between the 2 YouView aerial feeds and see if the signal strength changes?
    2 - re-tune but select 'Southern' not 'London' and again review signal strength?

Sorry Steve, your set up is beyond my knowledge of DTT (aerial reception) and so can't help any further, but there are others who can. :)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:40AM

It would be difficult to envisage a setup that would send a YouView box crazier than this :-)

I can see how your aerial installer might well combine the signals from two transmitters such that there were no channel,conflicts - adjacent transmitters maintain such arrangements so they don't fight, even accidentally, for any given channel.

But your YouView box, tuning up through the channels you have, is going to hit each mux twice, maybe, on different channels, and it will be a crapshoot whether it can assemble a coherent set from the same transmitter source, or get a pick and mix which means that the 'other muxes' AR signals on the channel you are watching may not in fact relate to the other muxes you have, if they are cross-regional.

So no wonder, perhaps, that it decides its channel handling must be in a mess, and throws it all away, hoping for a retune to restore order.

Which it won't :-(

Quite why YouView boxes are so bad at handling multiple transmitters is still a mystery; we know there are some acknowledged bugs there, and we may even get a fix for these in an upcoming release, after which these issues may be relieved, if not completely eliminated.

But the only fix at the moment is to attenuate all channels till the weaker ones from the further transmitter drop below the threshold.

Which with your setup, where they are equal, you have no chance.

Is it possible that you could disconnect one of these two aerials at source, and then retune and see if you can retain the tunings?

I would expect that to work, assuming your box has no deeper malaise. And if you don't really, really, need both transmitters, it might be OK going forward, at least until the 'trophytr5' fixes are released.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 15 September 2015, 9:18PM

Thank you Roy.
    I will continue to monitor the situation. It is not possible for my to disconnect one of the two aerials at source  The connection is on the roof, actually quite close to the aerials, I believe.

Roy meant from the boxes and TVs, Steve, not the roof. 
    Going to use this thread as a frequency log. 
    Occurred again 21.09.15 . OK first thing in morning, initial use at approx 06:00. Put into standby approx 08:30. Switched out on standby approx 09:30 and all OTA channels disappeared.  Re-tune and working again.

Going to use this thread as a frequency log. 
    Occurred again 21.09.15 . OK first thing in morning, initial use at approx 06:00. Put into standby approx 08:30. Switched out on standby approx 09:30 and all OTA channels disappeared.  Re-tune and working again.

Put it in Low Eco, and see if things improve. There are known issues with High Eco for some boxes at the moment.

( And then let's hope I am wrong about the two aerials :-) )

Or at least that the issue with High versus Low Eco is that High causes the box to have a rethink when it starts up, which in a multi-transmitter situation makes it throw away a bunch of channels, while a Low Eco box in Standby is practically On anyway, so does not have a rethink, and so leaves the channels how you set them :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Occurred again, from initial use this morning - 01.10.2015. I fear the frequency is increasing.

Occurred again, from initial use this morning - 01.10.2015. I fear the frequency is increasing.

Did you try switching to Low Eco mode?
    edited 2 October 2015, 1:46AM

Not yet, I am trying to get a feel for the frequency of failure and then use this as a benchmark. Then I intend switching to Low Eco for a time period to cover this - plus a little. Thanks for your input Roy