Youview signal too sharp / digital looking compared to freeview signal inbuilt in TV

2»

Comments

• Matthew PhillipsMatthew Phillips Posts: 43Member
    edited 18 May 2016, 6:45PM

Thanks Phil - Looking forward to seeing what the test team find out.

I did try it Phil but his TV is a few years old and the quality of the image was just not that great to begin with in comparison to my Samsung. I did see what I would say was an increase in the haloing effect after watching netflix but I would not call it a definitive test. I would have to try it on a better TV to be sure and most of my neighbours TVs that I would ask are not really up to it. I'll try and do another test on another TV when I can.

It would surprise me a little if it only occurred on the Samsung as the rest of the HDMI signal from the youview box i.e. the interface remains unaffected. I would have thought that if it was an issue communication between the TV and YV box that the entire image would show signs of edge enhancement not just the video. It certainly would be interesting to find out one way or another.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 8:55PM

Hi Matthew,

Just to update you on this one, our test team have been unable to recreate this picture issue after a number of attempts. We are still doing testing to see if it can be reproduced.

It would be great when you get a chance to see if this is appears on another TV (perhaps with a clearer picture?). We want to see if this might behave differently depending on the TV used and how it deals with the HDMI handshake from the box.
    edited 25 May 2016, 3:38PM

Thanks for the feedback Phil - I'll get back to you when I manage to get that test sorted with the results. Cheers - Matt
  • Daniel2025Daniel2025 Posts: 70Member
    edited 29 May 2016, 12:23PM

My TV is Samsung and it works perfectly with my humax box including using Netflix could your box be faulty perhaps?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM

Its not always the box. Its about the handshake thats enabled between the two. One TV panel could be fine, another, not so. Which can be very hit and miss, as the YouView test team have found.
    edited 29 May 2016, 12:29PM

Hi Daniel - A neighbour got a BT YouView box, the smaller one without the record function, and I borrowed his and reproduced the same issue with netflix.

Interesting what you are saying about handshakes Visionman, at this point I would say this would be the most likely explanation. I do wonder though why the video signal is effected and the GUI (user interface) remains unaffected. Also wouldn't the HDMI handshake thing be offset by turning the TV on and off as this does not fix the issue - a hard reboot of the YV box is the only way.
    edited 31 May 2016, 6:40PM
    BT have contacted me to let me know they have replicated the problem with their technicians and they'll get back to me when they have more info. I'll keep you posted.
  • mark ratcliffmark ratcliff Posts: 1Member
    edited 30 April 2017, 8:54AM
    Hi Matthew, my family actually prefer to watch in SD as the  YV sharpening effect you speak of is so awful. Well done for persevering when almost everyone seems to want to deny the problem exists. Have you had an answer yet?
    edited 30 April 2017, 8:54AM

Hi Matthew, my family actually prefer to watch in SD as the  YV sharpening effect you speak of is so awful. Well done for persevering when almost everyone seems to want to deny the problem exists. Have you had an answer yet?

Hi Mark - It's good to know there are others out there who have noticed the issue - I've not had an answer yet but I am still working on it - there does seem to be some small steps of progress being made - at least BT has confirmed they can reproduce the fault - Another guy I was speaking too online managed to reproduce the effect too. So far YouView have not confirmed it is a fault though. 

Have you tried rebooting your machine to get rid of the sharpening? This should get rid of it 100% of the time and if you can refrain from watching Netflix it won't come back. I actually gave in in the end and unsubscribed from Netflix but I do miss it so I resubscribed recently. Now I only ever watch one thing on Netflix and then reboot straight away. 

I think what is tricky here is that the problem is coming from within the Netflix app itself and i'm not sure how much influence YouView has over that - I suspect it is a joint effort to some degree. I was watching a film on there the other day and I pressed stop mid way through - the screen paused for about a second and you could actually see the image alter during that second and get that falsly sharpened look. So this is where the problem is occuring, right at the moment when you stop watching any footage in Netflix. From that point on any video footage the youview box outputs will continue to have this strange issue - but only the video footage - not the interface.

Just out of interest what kind of box and TV do you have? So far I have only tested this on BT boxes.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,993Member ✭✭✭
    This is still an issue.

I can confirm that after using Netflix on the Youview box, that a sharpening filter is applied to all content ( well certainly DTT broadcast). Its only removed by turning off the box from the mains, or a software update. I was able to compare directly with 2 youview boxes utilising the exact same set up picture wise, pausing the picture, & switching between the two using a AV receiver. It was obvious one image had sharpening enhancements applied.

Considering this is quite a major intervention by the Netflix app affecting all other broadcast by applying a sharping filter, shouldn't this be seen to asap @Philip Trott?

Not sure but, are there standards that are being broken here by applying "enhancement" filters to BBC programs and other DTT broadcasts?

@Keith Could this be added to the consolidated list of bugs please? Thanks 
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,424Member, Champion mod
    Hi @Joe - issue now added to the consolidated list of bugs and faults as item 60 :smile:
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,993Member ✭✭✭
    edited 8 February 2018, 5:06PM
    Keith said:
    Hi @Joe - issue now added to the consolidated list of bugs and faults as item 60 :smile:
    Many thanks Keith. I was prompted to do these recent postings as I realised what a useful resource the consolidated lists are
  • richirichi Posts: 5Member
    Sorry to bump this thread after a year, but I'm having this problem too.

I just got a replacement box from TalkTalk (Huawei DN372T). The artificial sharpening is horrific, compared with the old DN370T is replaced. I don't use Netflix; problem continues after reboot.

Any ideas?

My guess is the new box is doing some sort of perceptual sharpening as part of the MPEG post-processing. It's not evident in the box's own graphic overlays, including the MHEG overlay.

It's interesting that the effect is just as bad if I configure the box to output 720p, so it's presumably adding the sharpening halos after resizing the video.

One thing I'll try next is a different TV.

No difference with a different TV. Still halos around graphics and weird shimmering effects in high-contrast detail. And although I'm a fan of decent video, it's not just my eyes—SWMBO noticed it, too.
    This video, from another YouView user shows the problem that he and others got after using the Netflix app. The symptoms are identical to mine (although mine is nothing to do with Netflix and is not fixed by a reboot): youtu.be/VKD_4ZdJIog?t=88
2»