Add UHD channel to Youview App

zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,047 ✭✭
edited 20 March 2017, 5:24PM in Archived Posts
I understand that the current Ios and Android apps require an upgrade to allow the
UHD channel to be included. Bit suprised at this as surely a channel be it an SD , HD or UHD is just a channel with its programme data in the EPG.  Anybody know when/if the apps(s) will be updated ?

Comments

• scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM

Something I asked a month ago, with no response...

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/-discussion-youview-android-app-update-july-2015 

The ultra channel was available in the previous android version (and was available at the time in the IOS version).

I was told 'in the short term we have suppressed the Ultra channel from the App and it will be added back in a future build'.
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:56PM
    scott said:

Something I asked a month ago, with no response...

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/-discussion-youview-android-app-update-july-2015 

The ultra channel was available in the previous android version (and was available at the time in the IOS version).

I was told 'in the short term we have suppressed the Ultra channel from the App and it will be added back in a future build'.
    Hi guys,

Scott - we must have missed your previous comment. Apologies. 

Zulu17 - Further improvements to the app need to be made to ensure that a Ultra HD channel works across the whole app. This requires a bit of extra development and as Scott mentioned this will be added in a future release. We can't offer any release dates but will make sure we add this point to the release notes when the update is available.
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,047 ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Any news on when the Youview app will be updated please - I believe it hasn't been updated since 26 August - so surely an update is due particularly as it currently lacks the functionality to handle all channels.
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:56PM
    zulu17 said:

Any news on when the Youview app will be updated please - I believe it hasn't been updated since 26 August - so surely an update is due particularly as it currently lacks the functionality to handle all channels.

Hi zulu17,

We don't usually give dates on our updates but we will update the forum when it is available. If you follow our product updates section, you should get an email notification when the next update is available. 
    edited 14 December 2016, 10:35PM
    zulu17 said:

Disappointing that Youview are taking so long to provide basic app functionality - all I want to do is to set up a remote recording -
     The product update section includes the statement made 3 years ago from Piers -

The YouView App will be available in the Apple App Store in the next 24 hours. The new app offers a television guide for TV and radio listings for the next seven days with full programme information details. It also allows YouView customers to record their favourite television programmes to their YouView box, while on the move via their iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
  • edited 23 February 2016, 6:31PM
    Still no update I suppose?

Getting a bit ridiculous now, isn't it?

So I still can't set my YouView box to record in 4K... going to miss Arsenal v Barcelona tonight... 4K football is literally the only reason I am with BT

PLEASE FIX THIS SOON
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 8:32AM
    Forgive me for not being overly sympathetic, but mindful of the absence of the app functionality at the moment why did you not just set the recording on the box? And if you are not able to watch the match live I imagine BT will be repeating it anyway? Live sport does not strike me as a priority for recording purposes in any event.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    redchiz said:

Forgive me for not being overly sympathetic, but mindful of the absence of the app functionality at the moment why did you not just set the recording on the box? And if you are not able to watch the match live I imagine BT will be repeating it anyway? Live sport does not strike me as a priority for recording purposes in any event.

I was wondering this too, as my main viewing on YouView is also the football, and when I know I won't be at home, I set recordings as soon as they become available.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM
    redchiz said:

You can set a recording on the uhd channel remotely using the bttv app.
    Which begs the question why it isn't available yet on the youview app.
  • edited 23 February 2016, 7:03PM
    redchiz said:

redchiz - not that I feel my comment above needs justifying, please see below...

1) I wasn't aware that there was no ultraHD channel on the app before. The first time I've tried to use it is today. Then I see this thread, highlighting the problem to youview for the last 5+ months. It is unacceptable from a customer service perspective that nothing has been done to fix it.

2) I didn't set the recording on the box because I didn't know I was going to miss it - obviously live sport is best watched live but sometimes I have to work late.

3) I don't care if they repeat it or not, the app functionality should be there; I share zulu17's way of thinking in the original post in that it should be a simple fix. What strikes you as a priority for recording purposes is neither here nor there - the app simply doesn't do what youview claimed it would (again see zulu17's comment) and it is only fair that they be called out on it. I guess you're happy paying for a lack of functionality as long as its only related to live sport...? 
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    redchiz said:

Hey, not at all, but feel free to troll away. :)
    redchiz said:

See Scotts comment, PF198. Problem solved. 
    redchiz said:

Knowing that most people won't have much sympathy about uhd, I do think the question could be expanded to ask why ANY development on the app seems to have stalled. A question I have asked recently and been ignored. Now there's a surprise.. Lol
    redchiz said:

Query (as being on a Windows phone I don't have any apps). With the app being available via BTTV, is there a need for a retail version atm? And sorry if thats a stupid question.
    redchiz said:

The bttv app doesn't show any recordings that have been set. Even the basic function on the YouView app beats the bttv app. Some of the programme details and search functions are better on the YouView app (like the way it tells you if a programme is available in HD also).
    redchiz said:

The thread I started is quite a few months old so I have adapted to using a combination of the Youview app which I would prefer to use for all my record setting and the BT TV app. As Youview app (& the BT TV app)  only allows one Youview box to be linked to it to set up remote recordings and I have more than one Youview box this means either I have to use my second choice app for my main box recordings or not have an app linked to one of my other Youview boxes. Its manageable.
    edited 1 March 2017, 11:49AM
    Surprised that we haven't seen any updates to the Youview app yet.. Difficult to comprehend why including the ability to list programs and set programs for record for channel 434 should be taking so long to implement.
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited 20 March 2017, 5:24PM
    Doubt they will ever fix this! YouView is very bad at fixing stuff or updating stuff! The website still lists
    BBC Three, Motors TV,  Community HD, Arise News and many others that have long gone!

Doubt they will ever fix this! YouView is very bad at fixing stuff or updating stuff! The website still lists
    BBC Three, Motors TV,  Community HD, Arise News and many others that have long gone!

Doubt they will ever fix this! YouView is very bad at fixing stuff or updating stuff!

Where the box is concerned this is very untrue, where the website is concerned it is. It badly needs updating.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 1 March 2017, 11:49AM
    Hi guys,

If you are using the YouView app on an Android device the latest update released today will now let you see your Ultra HD channels in the guide (if you have the UHD box and a subscription). You will be able to set reminders and remote record these channels as well.

The release comms cover the general features, but I wanted to make sure you all knew this was now available. This will be available for the iOS version of the app very soon!
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys,

If you are using the YouView app on an Android device the latest update released today will now let you see your Ultra HD channels in the guide (if you have the UHD box and a subscription). You will be able to set reminders and remote record these channels as well.

The release comms cover the general features, but I wanted to make sure you all knew this was now available. This will be available for the iOS version of the app very soon!

Thanks for the info very useful to have the 4K channel listed on the app.