[Discussion] Automatic BT Software Update - January 2016

SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 3 May 2017, 11:49AM in Announcements
Please feel free to discuss the latest Automatic BT Software Update in this thread.

Comments

• radoxradox Member Posts: 62
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I have a BT YouView box but it didn't come from BT and I don't have BT broadband. Will my box receive this update?

Thanks,
    Stuart
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:57PM
    radox said:

I have a BT YouView box but it didn't come from BT and I don't have BT broadband. Will my box receive this update?

Thanks,
    Stuart

Yes - provided your box model is one of those receiving the update, it won't matter where you got the box from or who your broadband provider is. As long as you have a working connection. 

See our software update table for more information on how to find out what box model you have and which boxes are currently receiving this update.

Bear in mind this is a phased rollout so you may not receive the update straight away.
  • Richard13Richard13 Member Posts: 2
    edited 7 January 2016, 7:41PM
    radox said:

Thanks,
    Stuart

That looks like "no" then. If the original poster has a BT branded box bought retail, it's not getting the update according to that table.
  • Steve OliverSteve Oliver Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited 8 January 2016, 8:52AM
    radox said:

Thanks,
    Stuart

Disagree! The poster didn't say which box they have. I have two BT branded boxes bought outside a BT contract, they'll both be updated without a doubt.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:30PM
    radox said:

Thanks,
    Stuart

Based on past experience the BT branded retail boxes do get these updates but seem to come in the tail or after the end of the BT contract boxes. The YouView software update page should be a reliable source of info as to what is rolling out and what version each box is at but it still contains the error pointed out a few weeks ago in relation to the BT branded retail boxes, namely those are already running 21.50.50 (which they received towards the end of the last BT update rollout as far as I know) and not 21.50.40 as the page still shows.

Hopefully Sanj or Phil can correct that small version info error on that page and look into exactly how BT schedule the updates for BT badged retail boxes. But based on the last version update I might hope the BT badged retail boxes will get this update in 2-4 weeks time.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    radox said:

Thanks,
    Stuart

According to that table, 22.17.0 is still rolling out to retail Humax boxes.

Is this rollout really not finished yet?
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • Richard13Richard13 Member Posts: 2
    edited 8 January 2016, 10:57AM
    radox said:

Thanks,
    Stuart

"Disagree! The poster didn't say which box they have. I have two BT branded boxes bought outside a BT contract, they'll both be updated without a doubt."

The poster did say he has a BT box not from BT. The table shows that at present none of those boxes will get the update. This fits with the original announcement that the update is for "those with T2100, T1000 and T2200 Humax YouView boxes" .

Hopefully those of us with BT YouView boxes will get the update eventually, but that's not what the table is currently showing.
    edited 8 January 2016, 12:56PM
    radox said:

Thanks,
    Stuart

It turns out my BT Retail YouView box is a DTRT2110 running 21.50.50 software. According to the Software Update Table, it sounds like it won't be receiving this update. I admit I hadn't noticed that Sanji's original announcement says the update is for Humax boxes.

Stuart
    edited 8 January 2016, 1:49PM
    radox said:

Thanks,
    Stuart

It turns out my BT Retail YouView box is a DTRT2110 running 21.50.50 software. According to the Software Update Table, it sounds like it won't be receiving this update. I admit I hadn't noticed that Sanji's original announcement says the update is for Humax boxes.

Stuart
    radox said:

Thanks,
    Stuart

Hi all - Radox hadn't specified which box model/variant he had so I provided him with the software update table. In hindsight, I could have just asked for the box model/variant. 

Radox could have a BT YouView box (subscription variant) from an independent seller or bought a retail variant from a retail store.

Radox
    - For the curious minded among us, let us know your Variant when you get the chance. ***EDIT*** didn't see your reply Radox. Thanks for confirming.

Keith - Thanks for the heads up, I've changed the software update table to 21.50.50 for BT Retail boxes. To answer you're roll-out question; you're right BT Retail boxes usually get the update shortly after the BT subscription boxes have finished rolling out. I couldn't offer an exact time frame as to when that will happen.

Roy - 22.17.0 has been released to 100% of the Retail Humax YouView boxes at the same time as this BT roll-out. I've amended the table to reflect that now.

I think I should also clarify that all the BT YouView boxes (Retail & Subscription) are manufactured by Humax. 

The boxes that are being updated at the moment are:
    • DTR- T1000 / 80B08500 (BT subscription box Variant)
    • DTR- T2100 / 84B08500
    • DB- T2200 / 86B08500
    The boxes that aren't being updated at the moment are:
    • DTR- T4000 / 87B08500
    • DTR- T1000 / 80B08530 (BT Retail box variant)
    • DTR- T2110 / 84B08530
    • DB- T2210 / 86B08530
  • rubble2rubble2 Member Posts: 12
    Not wishing to complicate things further but I have a Plusnet Youview box with the following software:-

Any ideas when this box is likely to receive the latest software update?
    rubble2 said:

Not wishing to complicate things further but I have a Plusnet Youview box with the following software:-

Hi rubble,

The Plusnet software update should roll-out soon after the BT update. We can't confirm any dates, but we'll make sure we update the community when new software is available.
  • rubble2rubble2 Member Posts: 12
    edited 8 January 2016, 4:29PM
    rubble2 said:

Great, thanks for the update
  • ANNANN Member Posts: 28
    edited 8 January 2016, 6:09PM
    rubble2 said:

Why o why did you do an automatic update?  Now I have to restart my box at least 3 times a night. Last night, no sound, then no picture, tonight it won't even turn on, it has one blue light (should be red when switched off).  Everythihng was fine until you did this!  Please advise .....
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    rubble2 said:

Hi ANN

Are you sure you have got the update, and that has caused this?

You would have had to have been among the first, in a phased update that will take several weeks.

Your box failing may well be a coincidence.

If you can get it back on, check in Settings/System Information/Software Versions to see if you do indeed have 22.17.0

On which version my Humax T2000 has been working perfectly for several weeks, though it is admittedly a retail Humax, and not a BT subscription one like your presumably is.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    rubble2 said:

I have both. The BT subscription box has yet to receive the update, and as per Roy my retail T2000 hasn't had a blip (updated 12/12/15). This is more likely to be a separate, unrelated issue.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    rubble2 said:

Hi Ann,

Is your box still having an issue?

If yes, please try a soft reboot. Press & hold the standby button on the box for 8 seconds, then let go. The box will then reboot. 

Does this resolve your issue?

It sounds like you have a T2100 and in case you still need to know what the lights mean, here is a diagram:

and a link if you need any more info.
  • dunholmedunholme Member Posts: 3
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Mine has updated since yesterday. Now no longer have the bar showing how far into a program when play or pause pressed. So that's a really useful feature gone. Thanks for nothing BT.
    dunholme said:

Mine has updated since yesterday. Now no longer have the bar showing how far into a program when play or pause pressed. So that's a really useful feature gone. Thanks for nothing BT.

Welcome to the forum, dunholme. Press and hold the power button for 8 seconds and the box will perform a reset. Is it back now?
    edited 14 January 2016, 12:33PM
    dunholme said:

Nice one! Done a reboot and back to normal now. I should have thought of that myself but thanks for the nudge in the right direction. You're a star.
    edited 14 January 2016, 12:33PM
    Mine is a BT branded box but I'm now with TalkTalk. Update has been received. Not only does it work fine on TalkTalk but the BT player option on the menu was automatically replaced with access to the TalkTalk player. All pretty impressive.
  • James BodyJames Body Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi, I have a BT subscription box, DTR T2100. It is currently on software version 21.50.50. Last night my electricity cut out through the night at 1hour 15 minute intervals causing the burglar alarm to go off and me having to get out of bed to reset the fuse. When I switched off the BT box at 4:30 am at the mains the electricity supply remained constant and has continue to be so. Could the software upgrade have caused these electricity outages, and if so how can i receive the s/w upgrade without this happening?
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:56PM

Hi, I have a BT subscription box, DTR T2100. It is currently on software version 21.50.50. Last night my electricity cut out through the night at 1hour 15 minute intervals causing the burglar alarm to go off and me having to get out of bed to reset the fuse. When I switched off the BT box at 4:30 am at the mains the electricity supply remained constant and has continue to be so. Could the software upgrade have caused these electricity outages, and if so how can i receive the s/w upgrade without this happening?

Hi James,

The 21.50.50 update was released in October 2015, so if you just started experiencing this issue Jan 14th then I don't think this software update (22.17.0) is causing the issue. I would recommend seeking advise from a professional electrician if the issue is still reoccurring.
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    No sign of this update on my G4 (BT Sub) .... has it gone on hold ... over 2 weeks now ?
  • Adam_TAdam_T Member Posts: 62
    edited 22 January 2016, 2:18PM
    Ursa said:

No sign of this update on my G4 (BT Sub) .... has it gone on hold ... over 2 weeks now ?

glad its not just me then!!
    edited 25 November 2016, 11:04AM
    Ursa said:

Anybody know the criteria for a Phased Rollout - Serial # order, Customer Contract age, Geographical or what ?
    edited 25 November 2016, 11:04AM
    Ursa said:

Thought I'd try a soft boot / software reset, but my G4 (T2100 BT sub) box wont enter Maint mode ... followed the online instructions to the letter and it does nowt ....
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Member Posts: 367
    edited 11 December 2016, 11:58AM
    Ursa said:

Not got the update on my G4 box either, as you I've tried soft boot but as you say, nowt.
    Ursa said:

Nothing here either. Not that I'm bothered... It'll come in time.
    Is there an issue with 22.17's rollout - 3 weeks seems a long time ?