Sony Bravia KDL-43W809C, ITV player failed again

PhillspectrePhillspectre Posts: 24Member
edited 29 August 2017, 8:18PM in Discussion
Thought I had this sorted a couple of weeks ago and did watch one or two programs on catch up using the ITV Hub, but now can't get ITV player to load either from the app or the YouView menu.  All I get is a loading message then a message saying "An error has occurred. Please try again later." All other players work, TV software is up to date, have gone through all the steps from my previous problem but nothing seems to work.

Comments

• SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi Phill,

Sorry to hear this has re-emerged. Can you send us a picture of the error message you get?
  • PhillspectrePhillspectre Posts: 24Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM

OK Sanj should be a pic with this reply. I have also checked the signal information for ITV region using the TV remote handset help function and it is coming from Yorkshire. Don't know if I need to input my postcode into the YouView set up but I don't seem to be able to input it from the remote hand set for some reason.

edited 21 December 2016, 7:56PM

OK Sanj should be a pic with this reply. I have also checked the signal information for ITV region using the TV remote handset help function and it is coming from Yorkshire. Don't know if I need to input my postcode into the YouView set up but I don't seem to be able to input it from the remote hand set for some reason.

Thanks Phill,

We'll need to have a look into this and get back to you on what to do next. 

Thanks for your patience. 
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi Phill,

The next best step will be to factory reset your TV and go through the initial setup again and enabling YouView.

See the Sony Article: How do I perform a factory reset on Sony's Android TV?

After the Factory Reset process completes successfully, your TV proceeds into the Initial Setup wizard. Go through this and enable YouView again. 

Note: 
    If you have installed any additional apps these will need to be re-downloaded. 

Let us know how you get on. 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,753Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM

How warm are you running the room the TV is in? :-)
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 13 January 2016, 10:42AM

20-22 deg C
    edited 21 July 2017, 8:06PM

Well Sanj I did the full factory reset yesterday evening, enabled YouView and the ITV player and all the other players worked ok. Tried it this morning and the ITV player worked ok. Then I went on to YouView and looked at the YouView guide, when checking what was on yesterday and previous days the guide showed " Information not available" for  BBC 1 and ITV although all other channels were showing up ok.

Checked the YouView guide by just scrolling backwards from today and BBC 1 has nothing before 1.35am this morning and ITV has nothing before 12.05am this morning, strangely though the guide was showing all backwards programs are available on BBC 1 HD and ITV HD.

Tried the ITV player on one of the of the programs on ITV HD from yesterday and all I got was " Loading, Please wait" and then the error message shown in the pic from yesterday. That's it ! ITV player on my TV is down again while all other players function ok.

Not a good situation and to be honest there seems to be a fundamental problem somewhere with the YouView system and my TV and I'm getting fed up of messing with it. After all the TV was only purchased a few weeks ago.

Looking back at a part of a quote from a press release Oct last year :-

"The inclusion of YouView provides Sony customers with a seamless combination of live and catch up TV through the award winning scroll back user interface."

It's not that seamless for some but any suggestions and help are appreciated to get it up and running again. 

Ah - I wondered, with the bare knees :-)
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley

Well Sanj I did the full factory reset yesterday evening, enabled YouView and the ITV player and all the other players worked ok. Tried it this morning and the ITV player worked ok. Then I went on to YouView and looked at the YouView guide, when checking what was on yesterday and previous days the guide showed " Information not available" for  BBC 1 and ITV although all other channels were showing up ok.

Checked the YouView guide by just scrolling backwards from today and BBC 1 has nothing before 1.35am this morning and ITV has nothing before 12.05am this morning, strangely though the guide was showing all backwards programs are available on BBC 1 HD and ITV HD.

Tried the ITV player on one of the of the programs on ITV HD from yesterday and all I got was " Loading, Please wait" and then the error message shown in the pic from yesterday. That's it ! ITV player on my TV is down again while all other players function ok.

Not a good situation and to be honest there seems to be a fundamental problem somewhere with the YouView system and my TV and I'm getting fed up of messing with it. After all the TV was only purchased a few weeks ago.

"The inclusion of YouView provides Sony customers with a seamless combination of live and catch up TV through the award winning scroll back user interface."

It's not that seamless for some but any suggestions and help are appreciated to get it up and running again. 

Hi Phill, thanks for getting back to us, it's disappointing to hear the issue has re-occurred.

It's interesting that both BBC 1 and ITV had no information in the backwards programme guide. 'No Information Available' usually appears when there is no internet connection available to populate the time slots. 

Most time slots did populate for you, which might suggest you're experiencing an intermittent internet connection.

As a test using a Sony TV in the office, we've disconnected the ethernet cable from the TV and tried to launch ITV Hub (must get used to calling it Hub not Player) and we see the same error message as you. 

Can you let us know:
    • What type of internet connection are you using? (Wi-Fi/Ethernet Cable/Powerline Adapters)
    • Can you describe your Router setup?
    • Make/Model of your router
    edited 13 January 2016, 4:12PM

Wi-Fi, set up in adjacent room, BTHub3-NQ6X. Tv Help function gives the Ok on my Wi-Fi set up.

Just for test purposes is it possible to connect the TV to an ethernet cable and disconnect it from Wi-FI and see if ITV Hub works again. 
    edited 13 January 2016, 6:23PM

Might be able to but not this evening, will see what cables I have and get it hard wired on a temporary basis if possible.  

Did another factory reset today and have only accessed the ITV hub from the app and it has worked at least a dozen times with no problem up to now.  Will get back to you when there is something to report.

edited 13 January 2016, 7:13PM

ITV player would not function again this evening, so managed to get control of the TV for a while and got it hard wired with an ethernet cable. Did this by moving my router next to the TV and used the ethernet cable that usually hooks up to my PC and set up the TV for cable input, still no ITV player. Tried other players and they were ok as was the Utube app. 
    edited 13 January 2016, 7:16PM

Roy keep your eyes on the telly. LOL
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,754Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM

Have you tried powering the TV off (pull the power cord) and then reboot the hub, wait for the line to settle then fire up the TV. These 3 types can occasionally get a glitch which a reboot usually cures.
    edited 14 January 2016, 10:54AM

Ok Visionman will try that but also today I am going to leave the TV wired with the Ethernet setup ( same cables as well ) I am using on this PC, nothing else will be running off the router just the TV. YouView checker is showing 13.82Mbps download speed at present with this set up and has been showing consistently over 13.50Mbps over the last few days even at peak usage times in the evening.

Also if possible can anyone let me know what Mbps download speed is needed for the correct function of my TV and YouView setup.

A minimum of 2.5Mbps, though an ISP (box) won't sign anyone up if they have less than 3.5, as they like to allow 1Mbps overhead.

Thanks Phill, 

If you weren't able to access ITV Hub through a verified wired connection then the connection may not be a factor. Thanks for trying. I'll go back to our tech teams and see if they can look into this further. In the meantime feel free to return your setup back to normal.
    edited 14 January 2016, 3:10PM

Tried today with the wired Ethernet connection, worked for a while then ITV player went off. Did a full factory reset and just set up with Ethernet cable, worked for a while and then  ITV player failed again, have also noticed that other players for ch4 and ch5 are sometimes reluctant to load and it may take 2 or 3 attempts to get them loaded then next time they work first time. Gone back to my normal Wi-Fi set up as ethernet wired was no better.
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM

Visionman -Yes it does look that way, I have spent the entire day messing with my TV and all to no avail a bit of a pain in the preverbial to be honest. Even tried accessing the ITV hub again from the built in web browser and thought I was there but eventually got the message needs Adobe flash player update to work, so drew a blank there.

Also had a bit of input from my wife, she says that while watching TV over the last few days it kept coming up with the error message " your TV is no longer connected to the internet" then several seconds later the message " your TV is now connected to the internet" would come on. Thought she was kidding me but while messing with it today I got the same messages several times while it was still connected to the Ethernet cable and the BT hub was next to the telly showing no fault. Don't know why this is happening but my broadband has never dropped out on my PC in the last 3 years and was even on and working ok when she saw the error messages on the TV. Maybe it's a fault on the TV but the first time it happened to me today I went and tried the ITV player and guess what it failed to load and that's why I had to do a full reset. Has happened this evening as well, having trouble loading all the players now except the BBC I player, a very hit and miss problem. 

By the way TV help menu says internet connection is ok, scratching my head a bit now.

Visionman -Yes it does look that way, I have spent the entire day messing with my TV and all to no avail a bit of a pain in the preverbial to be honest. Even tried accessing the ITV hub again from the built in web browser and thought I was there but eventually got the message needs Adobe flash player update to work, so drew a blank there.

Also had a bit of input from my wife, she says that while watching TV over the last few days it kept coming up with the error message " your TV is no longer connected to the internet" then several seconds later the message " your TV is now connected to the internet" would come on. Thought she was kidding me but while messing with it today I got the same messages several times while it was still connected to the Ethernet cable and the BT hub was next to the telly showing no fault. Don't know why this is happening but my broadband has never dropped out on my PC in the last 3 years and was even on and working ok when she saw the error messages on the TV. Maybe it's a fault on the TV but the first time it happened to me today I went and tried the ITV player and guess what it failed to load and that's why I had to do a full reset. Has happened this evening as well, having trouble loading all the players now except the BBC I player, a very hit and miss problem. 

By the way TV help menu says internet connection is ok, scratching my head a bit now.
    Although it is very hard to tell a genuinely faulty Sony Android TV from one that is merely afflicted by the day to day annoyances of the still-faulty software on this TV, I am starting to think you may have one with real issues.

I suggest you contact whoever supplied it to replace it for you. He will probably be so pleased that you do not want your money back, or a set from a different manufacturer, that far from making any difficulties, he will in all likelihood fall on your neck and kiss you :-)
    edited 14 January 2016, 8:54PM

Wonder if they will refund my £150 extra cover as well, if problems persist I will soon find out how good Mr Curry's customer service is.

Oh crips, in that case get your money back and rebuy it from Richer Sounds or John Lewis, who will toss in a 5 year guarantee for nowt :-)

Wonder if they will refund my £150 extra cover as well
    How much!?!  I bought my retail box from Richer Sounds with a 10% discount, then got a 5 year warranty at 10% of the normal retail cost (£17.50).
    edited 15 January 2016, 1:11AM

Nearest Richer sounds and John Lewis physical shops are in Sheffield not local to me and we only buy major electrical purchases from shops local to us, any problem we just put it in the car and take it back. Curry's local branch only 15 minutes away, can just take it and drop it on their counter if needed and have done so before, not a newbie at returning things if they do not function. Seem to remember the dialogue " shall we exchange it for another :-  no I will have a complete refund as what you have sold me is not fit for purpose ". £150 was for 5 years and included their "Knowhow thingy as well, LOL" as we all know at least  the first year of any guarantee is covered by the manufacturer, so that's £150 for 4 years in our case.

Hi Phill,

Your symptoms point to an issue with the stability of the Internet connection between your Sony TV and your router. 

Whether that is due to an issue with your TV or router is not quite clear. If you have warranty feel free to replace the TV, however there is no guarantee this will resolve the issue.

It would be worthwhile contacting your broadband provider directly to see if you could get the latest version of the Home Hub before looking at returning the TV. 
    edited 17 January 2016, 10:57AM

Ok Sanj, have contacted the Curry's Knowhow team and they basically asked me to do what we have already tried. Also as suggested I have contacted my Broadband provider BT for an upgrade, they have upgraded me to BT Infinity 2 with a new BT Hub 5 router and loads of add on's for basically what I am paying at present. That will start on the 27th Jan, so will just keep things as they are at present and see how it goes after that date. Thanks for everyones help and will update this post after the new equipment has arrived and been in use for a few days.
    edited 26 January 2016, 7:15PM

Well new broadband kit arrived today, BT Hub 5.0, a couple of filters and various cables. Infinity service does not arrive until tomorrow so hooked it all up with my present broadband connection and it was up and running in several minutes, set up the Bravia TV on wireless connection with the hub. Tried the ITV player and it works, tried all the other players and they worked, went back to the ITV player and it was still working. Will try it this evening at peak viewing times and see how it goes. 
    edited 27 January 2016, 11:14AM

Had no problems with it last night at peak viewing times. BT infinity activated this morning, now have over 70Mbps download. Just tried all the players on the Bravia TV and they worked with no problems. Fingers crossed it's now ok but will update this thread if there are any more issues