Humax dtr t2000 hd channels breaking up

2»

Comments

• joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM
    Sanj said:

Damien / Tim / Al - 

Sorry to hear you're all having this issue. This doesn't sound like your run-of-the-mill signal related issue, but we can't rule out issues with the signal/setup to be causing this. 

Could you answer these questions so we can get a better understanding of the issue:

• Software Versions (Settings > System Information > Software Versions)
    • When the signal drops out, do SD channels work fine if you immediately tune to them?
    • Can you send us your postcode to [email protected] 
    • Can you detail your full aerial setup?
    • Which HD channels does that happen on?
    • If you re-tune your channels do you get a choice of region?
    Have you tried swapping them round to see what happens al?

I have experienced similar issues with daisy-chained equipment, with the box nearest to the aerial having problems that one further down the line doesn't have. I now try to avoid daisy-chaining if possible, using splitters instead. We are fortumate that our TV signal is strong enough to enable us to do so, because as you are aware, if you remove the chain and replace it with a splitter, the signal strength to each machine is reduced.

Before digital switchover (and YouView of course), when the digital signal was much weaker than it is now, I had success with an amplified splitter. You might have tried one, but I used something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-WAY-TV-FM-DAB-AERIAL-BOOSTER-BOX-SPLITTER-AMPLIFIER-FREEVIEW-HD-4G-READY...

There are loads of variations on the same theme, with different numbers of outputs to suit your kit.
  • Andrew StylesAndrew Styles Member Posts: 7
    edited 31 March 2016, 8:56PM

I get this problem also which I posted about previously here https://getsatisfaction.com/youview/t....

The HD channels do just as above, drop to 0% for a second before returning. However I do note the SD channels to suffer occasional break up or pixelation in a similar manner which I always assumed was related.

My set up is the aerial goes to a distribution amplifier that boosts signal to two TVs in the house. When I plug straight in to my main TV this does not happen.

Sometimes hours can go by with no problems but the interruptions can happen more frequently at other times. I just resigned myself that there was sometimes outside interference causing blips. I have a lower signal strength for COM7 which seems to suffer more often (so BBC News HD, 4+1 HD et al) but I've seen it happen on all HD channels.

I don't get a choice of regions when retuning and I'm on software version 22.17.0. I'm based in Derby City Centre so should be getting channels from Waltham.

Hope this helps with the diagnosis!

So I ended up buying a completely different distribution amp with only one output. It made a big difference to signal strength with all muxes now at least 60%, some at 68% and 100% signal strength.

I do find sometimes the signal quality can drop and blocking occurs usually during bad weather, but it is much less frequent than before and I'm guessing the better SS has helped with no longer seeing the complete drops I used to see on HD channels.

Something I did notice today however is after the box automatically retuned with the BBC3 / ITV changes the signal quality dropped on all channels and I was seeing frequent blocking. I manually returned and it has gone back to normal. Would this be due to competing transmitters and the box sometimes picks up the wrong one?
  • Richard CogginsRichard Coggins Member Posts: 6
    edited 30 April 2016, 11:39AM
    Sanj said:

Damien / Tim / Al - 

Sorry to hear you're all having this issue. This doesn't sound like your run-of-the-mill signal related issue, but we can't rule out issues with the signal/setup to be causing this. 

Could you answer these questions so we can get a better understanding of the issue:

• When the signal drops out, do SD channels work fine if you immediately tune to them?
    I can see the transmitter from my flat so there is no need for any aerial booster.  I have checked several channels, BBC, ITV,Channel 4/5 as well as HD channels and they are all over 80%. Never get any picture breakup when just watching TV (not through Humax) or Amazon TV stick.

Richard
    Sanj said:

Damien / Tim / Al - 

It was clear from your previous post that you don't need a booster Richard. There are a few posts that immediately follow yours from yesterday that you might find useful.
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:56PM
    Sanj said:

Damien / Tim / Al - 

Hi Richard - As Jonesh suggested you may need to attenuate the signal, using an attenuator. A variable attenuator would allow you to find the right signal strength. 70% SS and 100% SQ is what you should aim for. 
    Sanj said:

Damien / Tim / Al - 

ok have ordered it - lets see what happens!!!
    Sanj said:

Damien / Tim / Al - 

Been using attenuator for 9 days now - signal on BBC1 is 64 -68, quality 100 and it seems to have solved the problem!! No more picture break up - who would have thought having too strong a signal would be a problem.  thanks everybody for your help.

Now, the buttons on the remote for fast forward and play seem to work only when they feel like it.  I can be pointing at the unit pressing FF a dozen times before it decides to do anything and have to hit pause to stop it as the play will not work most of the time. So do I need to buy a new remote and if so from where?

Richard
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    Sanj said:

Damien / Tim / Al - 

The very complex Google search 'YouView replacement remote' yields :-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=You...

for me.

Other browsers/locations/socio-economic groups* may produce similar, if not identical, results.

I would focus deeper from that search for you, but I don't see it recorded above exactly which Humax YouView box you have; though all the straight retail boxes use the original curvy remote, BT has a different one in the BT Shop:-

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-yo...

*I'm told my browsing history and spending habits can be used to lead me away from the most attractive prices. I do hope this is untrue :-(
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    Sanj said:

Damien / Tim / Al - 

Been using attenuator for 9 days now - signal on BBC1 is 64 -68, quality 100 and it seems to have solved the problem!!

Good to hear that the problem appears to be solved Richard.

who would have thought having too strong a signal would be a problem.

YouView signal strength meters seem to read low. You would expect a signal strength up to and including 100% would be OK, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

pressing FF a dozen times before it decides to do anything

Have you eliminated the possibility of failing batteries in the remote?
    Sanj said:

Damien / Tim / Al - 

The first thing I did was to change the batteries (twice - just in case!!). Also, it is only the FF and play buttons that appear to be affected.  it is a Humax DTR-2000 youview box.
    Richard
    Sanj said:

Damien / Tim / Al - 

It was just a thought. I have a Topfield remote where the most used buttons lost sensitivity. New batteries solved the problem, or at least masked an issue with the remote that might re-surface at some stage.
  • TimmyDTimmyD Member Posts: 16
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:40PM
    I was seeing breakup issues and intermittent no signal at all on a relatives youview box . Signal was 75% and quality 100. TV tuner showed no issues at all. Removed an amp and signal dropped to 45% but breakup is now very rare. Hope this helps.
    TimmyD said:

I was seeing breakup issues and intermittent no signal at all on a relatives youview box . Signal was 75% and quality 100. TV tuner showed no issues at all. Removed an amp and signal dropped to 45% but breakup is now very rare. Hope this helps.

YouView boxes don't seem to be able to cope well with a signal strength much higher than 70%.
    edited 30 April 2016, 11:40AM
    Sanj said:

Damien / Tim / Al - 

Just don 't want to replace the remote if it is a known problem.  Coincidently, does anyone know if the remote is covered by the standard warranty? I'm sure I haven't had the box a year yet.
  • rammellconsultrammellconsult Member Posts: 1
    edited 23 July 2017, 10:17PM
    I had the same issue. This was eventually solved by cable management i.e. removing unnecessary power sources by the TV/Humax box, and tidying up other cables so that nothing was near co-ax cable or HDMI cable.
  • Topcat33Topcat33 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same box which pixilated occasionally on sd but HD breaks up continuously. My son has the same model which works perfectly. I have borrowed his and hooked it up in my house to eliminate or otherwise whether my aerial is at fault. His works perfectly in my house so the aerial is OK and my box is at fault. How to fix it is now the problem. 
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 611 ✭✭
    Hi topcat33,
    Welcome to the Youview forum. You mention your son's box works ok. I assume he lives in the same local area, hence box will be tuned to near enough same location, & you tried retuning box again? The Youview boxes tend to be very sensitive to tuning, especially with Freeview channels changes on some HD channels. I agree the boxes are not perfect. I use other pvrs & they are more robust with tuning.

Have you also tried doing the full retune with the technique of UNPLUGGING aerial, tuning channels to obtain zero channels (to clear Youview tuner memory), then REPLUG aerial & retune again. If you haven't tried this yet, this is highly recommended. Trust I have given you some help? Please let the forum know how you get on. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    Try taking your box to your son's house and re-tune it there @Topcat33 . See how it behaves.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭
    @Topcat33

We have been seeing a lot of HD Breakup lately, and the cause has been found in several cases to be due to poorly shielded HDMI cables, rather than tuning issues.

A usual symptom is that Signal Strength is good, but Signal Quality is very low, often zero.

When you tried your son’s box, whose HDMI cable did you use? And did you slot it precisely in where yours normally sits, or have the cable runs even a little bit different?

Here’s a posting with yet more background, and stuff to try:-

These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one